Can dubs be OK if the voices fit the characters more than the Japanese voices do? Serious question

Can dubs be OK if the voices fit the characters more than the Japanese voices do? Serious question.

Dubs are only okay if you check them.

Like this?

>Sup Forums
>dubs
>serious question
fuck off

The voices fitting isn't the problem with dubs, it's the butchering of regular speech patterns to match up with the original's mouth flaps.

Why the fuck do you care what the sperglords on here think? Anyway you basically just asked "is a dub okay if it is better than the original?" What the fuck are you retarded? If it's better than guess what? That means it's better dumbass. You piss me off so much.

Fucking losers. Check em

baka desu senpaitachi

Dub voices fitting characters more than Japanese voices might not make it better than the original, in some cases. He's asking if it still works that way. Learn to fucking read questions before you act like an ass.

Would you watch Hercules if Hades was dubbed in Greek? I mean, Greek would fit him more considering he's a Greek deity.

It's usually a question of acting talent, like with any VA role.

Cowboy Bebop and Magic User's Club have clearly better voice acting, the former because the dub had exceptional casting, the latter because the original Japanese had shit casting.

Mai waifu is a dub and her voice is sweet, syrupy goodness.

lurk moar and czech my 6

How about you watch what you want and not care if strangers on the Internet approve.

this

Meh, Cowboy Bebop's dub was only acceptable because of Spike's VA, I really didn't care for anyone else.

Space Dandy's dub, however, is shit, and Dandy's VA turned a suave character into a fucking dudebro.

Then why are you even on a imageboard if you don't want to discuss things?

Hellsing was dubs done right

Yes, why would you ask?

Basically no.

They destroy immersion.

Dragon Ball Z

I'm pretty sure Dandy wasn't supposed to actually be suave, his Eng VA nails him perfectly. Fuck off

Dubs are always ok.

You guys can't do anything right... neither can I for that matter.

There are rare cases where the dub is better than the original Jap audio. DBZ, Figure 17, Summer Wars, Cowboy Bebop, Just to name a select few.

I am never going to understand why people like Bebop's dub so much. Spike sounds like a standard space-hardass with none of the original's whimsy, despite the fact that treating life as a dream is central to his character and story.

ANYTHING YOU CAN DO I CAN DO BETTER

I think it's mostly the smooth quality to his voice that people enjoy. Sort of like everything he says is a line of beat poetry.

Black Lagoon's dub fits better cause the characters are supposed to be speaking english.

jesus christ how pathetic

checkmate, nice trips.

Dubs are ok if there's Liam O'Brien.

i don't see why you need to ask this question
there are a sizeable amount of dubs which are as good as or better than the original Japanese. most are of course shit, but a good few dozen or so are alright
the tone of the voices in evas dub makes everything the characters say seem much more surreal and off, which makes the effect of everything being weird and out of place much greater. i was pretty disappointed in the original japanese to be honest

What are you talking about? That's obviously Ryuk from the hit Chinese cartoon Deathnote.

Fucking KoG

The only dub voice I would prefer over the original would be James Woods' for a villain that fit his style.

dubs are easy to get

Is Bruce Willis dubbed by Will Smith OK? I mean like, he actin like a nigga anyway.

>dead thread about anime dubs
>the only thing keeping it alive are get posts

whatever the case, mai waifu's dub was goat

Yare yare daze...

Obviously. Black Lagoon is a pretty standard example of such.

Dubs>Subs

There's like 2 or 3 dubs that are actually better and more fitting than the original Moon.

>dubs

>not knowing about hades threads playing devils advocate from fucking 2012

GOD I FEEL SO A LONE AND OLD ON A OUTDATED WEBSITE INVADED BY NORMIES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Are you even trying?

>fit the characters more
But that's literally just your opinion
Just like anything regarding to subs vs dubs is
How the fuck do we still have these threads, it's not like you're watching anime with friends anyway

>implying this site hasn't been full of normalfags before 2012
Shut the fuck up stupid normie poster

You're being silly.

>my waifu is getting a dub soon
I don't know if I have a duty to witness it on the off chance it will be good, or if I should pretend it doesn't exist to make sure she remains unsullied.

Monstergirl quest is getting a anime?

In theory it's possible, but I would assume it's harder to do since the dub cast had no involvement with the original production staff and have a lot of handicaps put on them that the original VAs didn't have to deal with (it's one thing to translate dialogue, speaking it out loud and making it sound natural in another language is difficult, not even to get into weird cultural stuff that is never going to sound natural no matter how you try to do it unless you just straight-up 4kids it out of the script)

Also didn't mention it at first because I'm not sure if it's still an issue in modern dubs, but if you have to match your words to the lip movements in another language so that you don't have to redo the lip syncing, then you don't really have a shot in hell of making it sound completely natural.

>mfw the Scottish VA better than the jap

>I accept your offer james woods

God I miss Sup Forums. Reminder kids lurk 2 years before posting so we can maintain quality.

Your question isn't serious, but have a serious answer anyways.
Yes.
Porco Rosso's French voice (by Jean Motherfucking Reno, no less) was retconed by the author as THE original voice of the character.
SInce your question was if something CAN happen, not if something happens often, a single positive example is enough to prove the afirmation.
Can we move on?

Anything westaboo is superior dubbed: Lupin, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Bacanno, Berserk, etc
Also, sometimes dub writers actually improve the dialogue over the subs, like Yu Yu Hakusho or Steins; Gate
I like watching old OVA dubs purely for the curiosity factor, sometimes good VAs are found in shit shows and its nice not hearing the same people
I generally have the subs turned on when I watch dub anyway so I dont get fucked over by any censorship or stupid choices in the English dialogue like when they simplify technobabble in sci fi shows
However some stuff like JoJo will NEVER work dubbed.

this
/thread

While that would be pretty cool, I just grabbed the first scared/panic image I had that looked good.

how can dubs be OK

if I have trips?

I want Sup Forums to leave and die.

Nice