Why do people shit on LNs so much when they'll praise anime adaptations that completely ruin the original story?

Why do people shit on LNs so much when they'll praise anime adaptations that completely ruin the original story?

Is it just a meme?

You're a meme fagboy

I think the people who shit on LNs aren't the same people who watch the shitty adaptations.
Light novels are the cancer killing anime, though.

>Sup Forums is one person

It's something I've seen repeatedly.

>light novels are shit
>light novels are the lowest tier of media

I rarely see LN threads on any board and whenever they're brought up there are always a few people that need to shit on them.

Anime is more accessible than an LN or VN. Who wants to read a good story when an anime can give you the good parts?

VNs are far more popular than LNs for the western audience.

Doubtful. Post proof.

Multiple boards on this thread discuss VNs regularly. There are no generals for LNs.

The VN subreddit is almost twice as large as the LN subreddit.

on this site*

LNs that get circle jerked by ESLfags here are invariably shit. Sometimes the anime can make it tolerable with nice art and voice acting. Everyone is sick of hearing "Well they butchered the adaptation by not adapting my animesuki spoilers 1:1, but trust me volume 8 will be awesome and this series is totally different." It's the same shit every fucking time.

>Thinking Sup Forums is representative of westerners
Yeah, no. Sup Forums is obscure in the minds of most normies and most would rather watch an anime than go to a computer, install a program on a windows box and read for hours.

I'm not trying to make this an anime vs LN thread. I'm simply asking why LNs as a medium are so hated. What do people base their hate on?

Anime are usually an improvement on LNs.

A lot of LN writers are upstart youngsters who got their young awards work turned into a series, and that rough gem is refined into something actually worth watching by a studio made of professionals.
The entry level for LNs is much lower than manga.
Also, while a manga needs to be a moderate ongoing success and have various appraised tankbons before being considered for an anime adaption, all a LN needs to be picked up is a couple volumes that did well in sales.

Take also into account that roughly half of a LN is made of scenery descriptions and inconsequential internal monologuing, so an anime is giving you only the good parts.

Because these popular light novels are seemingly all bottom rung young adult fiction and it's propped up as something better and praised

People go crazy here for some cute girls, especially with a quirk or gimmick that takes off, and fluff so anime adaptions will get an easier ride. Most of these will be forgotten before they get scrutinized too hard anyway and the next season begins.

Is your Japanese good enough to judge the quality of the original material? I don't understand how you can simply say that anime is an improvementon LNs when the anime adaptation leaves out so much.

>Take also into account that roughly half of a LN is made of scenery descriptions and inconsequential internal monologuing, so an anime is giving you only the good parts.

This is how books work m8

No one hates LNs, they just hate battle academy harem garbage, reincarnation or "fantasy world with RPG mechanics". You'll never find people here shitting on Kino, Jinrui and LoGH.

>Is your Japanese good enough to judge the quality of the original material?
I'mand mine is. Those novels are physically painful to read.

Really?

What have you read and why was it so painful to read? What made it so bad compared to non-LN literature?

I have no idea what an LN is. Why don't you just write a novel? What exactly makes them "light"?

They have an anime drawing on the cover.

>Is your Japanese good enough to judge the quality of the original material?
Yes, I regularly read them in Japanese
I own several physical ones, but I don't buy many of them since they're trash

Also
>This is how books work m8
Yeah, but a book will give you at least some modicum of entertainment, they're pleasurable to read if they're well written.

A LN's scenery description usually goes something like:
"The courtyard was empty. I could see two trees in front of me. It was sunny outside. What a nice day."

And this is the level of writing through the whole thing. Short bursts of incredibly short phrases, lapalissian statements ahoy, unnecessary internal monologue that always boils down to phrases that amount to "Well, the thing I just described happening sure is happening, uh".

It's like reading the fluff on an essay, like when you know you have to write 5 pages but you have nothing to fill them with, so you repeat yourself and use longer phrases to pad a single phrase of content into an entire page.

They're incredibly easy to read compared to a book, both in sentence structure and level of kanji used. They're written specifically to be targeted at middle and high schoolers looking for a simple and unchallenging read.

Because they're light. They're too short to be called a novel.

>They're incredibly easy to read compared to a book, both in sentence structure and level of kanji used. They're written specifically to be targeted at middle and high schoolers looking for a simple and unchallenging read.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Horizon is classified as a light novel, and each volume is like 700 pages.

This is a more accurate definition

Are LNs all serials or are there one shots that get made into anime?

>They're incredibly easy to read compared to a book, both in sentence structure and level of kanji used

Fantasy/Sci-fi LNs use much more kanji than regular novels.

It's because Light Novels today are mostly all about the author's chuunibyou and wish fulfillment.
What most people hate are the harem, battle academy combination and reincarnated to a fantasy world stories.

Especially those that uses an RPG's stat points. .

>reading LNs
Might as well read an actual book you fucking weebs

I've tried reading a variety of the shit that airs throughout the seasons. The prose is middle school level, the dialog is unnatural and the expository narration is just bad. Never mind the cliche characters and wish fulfillment plots that are painfully predictable.

Have you never read a bad book?

>And this is the level of writing through the whole thing. Short bursts of incredibly short phrases, lapalissian statements ahoy, unnecessary internal monologue that always boils down to phrases that amount to "Well, the thing I just described happening sure is happening, uh".
Fucking nailed it.

There is some incredibly rare instances of stand-alones, but I can't name a single one that has been made into an anime.

Not in normal speech.
Not to mention, they're usually used at the start with a full explaination of what they mean, and they're all middle-school level kanji, just used in an unusual way.
Also, sentence structure remains at the characteristic LN-like simplicity.

The typical LN target audience may find that too difficult.
Remember that in Japan a 'difficult' book doesn't just mean big words, it may mean literally being unable to read it.

And the anime adaptations fulfill such high standards...

Get the fuck out of here.

>it may mean literally being unable to read it

yeah, english words are much easier since you can just search what it means on the internet, but for them, they can't search for it because they literally don't know how that kanji is written

>Remember that in Japan a 'difficult' book doesn't just mean big words, it may mean literally being unable to read it.

Could you give examples of some difficult books?

You can easily look up any kanji you don't know.

Name a literal good book then.

What's the usual stories for LNs marketed for girls?

cute guys get trapped in a MMO, the only way out is to kiss each other on the mouf

>I'm going to eat garbage and like it!
Most of the adaptations are equally shit, but a competent director and good seiyuu make all the difference.

Honestly, I like that it's faster to read LNs or play VNs than to watch anime. Anime has its own pace that you must adapt to.

English or moon?

No one said that.
It's just that an anime is typically less painful to sit through because the worst parts of a LN (scenery descriptions and internal monologue) are cut out of the anime, so it's a net improvement on the product.

It's never a masterpiece, but at least it can go from being a 3/10 to a 6/10.

You can easily search for kanji, but at a glance you wouldn't be able to know 100% for sure the reading or meaning.

>Could you give examples of some difficult books?
Anything by Murakami
Phrases longer than an oration by Plato, esoteric kanji usage, and constant switching between internal and external narration
It's well written, but a nightmare for a non-native speaker

Like 70% of LNs targeted at girls follow a "Good girl falls in love with a bad boy and tries to mend him of his delinquent ways" plot.
The remaining 30% is reverse harems and yuri, which as a genre in its entirety is marketed only to girls.

A girl falls in love with a boy...

Unable to confess everything literally gets in her way but she still manages to bitch about something

Bunch of idiots that associate anime adaptations of LNs with battle harems.

>Anything by Murakami

kek, fuck off retard.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

English or moon.

>I read Muramasa you're like a little child to me

This is how you look right now

They have yuri LNs for girls? I wonder if that bad boy thing also have rape like shoujo slut.

I love these kinds of posts. You always know the guy who posted that is a complete moron.
>Y-you don't know w-what you're talking about, b-baka!

Murakami is babby-tier literature. Fucking 化物語 is a harder read.

And the fact that you even bring up kanji in your analysis of difficulty shows that you're still at a low level. According to you chuuni VNs must be really good!

1984. Kino's Journey (that one's even a pretty easy read).

>people think the original story sucks
>how could they like the anime when it changes the story?

Why does the original story suck? How does the anime improve it?

Because that's what the publisher decides to call them.

>I wonder if that bad boy thing also have rape like shoujo slut.
They almost always have it, it's a staple of the genre
It's always 'pseudo-rape' though. Like, the girl will be getting on the boy's nerves, so he slams his hand on the wall she's standing against, holding her there, says a few choice words, then kisses her

And then an entire arc spanning like two volumes starts, all about the resulting internal drama "oh no he kiss-raped me even though I hate him! But DO I hate him???"

Like you'd know if you were actually trying to inform people in a thread made for discussing LNs, instead of trying to win a dick-swinging competition about whose Japanese is better, books are written and targeted towards a certain age, and will contain kanji appropriate for the grade the expected reader is in.

So while your average LN will only contain kanji a highschooler would know, an adult-oriented book will have a wider variety of them, and less common vocabulary used.

The "You should know them anyway" argument only works for foreign learners. A native Japanese person won't be able to read a 'normal' book as a young teen, even if it's "babby-tier" as you call it.

Besides, bake is hard to read only because Nisio hates punctuation and writes phrases that span an entire page.

It has been already answered in the thread like six times.

>People explain why the stories and writing are garbage
>Shit eating 14 year olds will start asking for actual proof and claim the answers given were all subjective
If you like battle academy haremshit, you're retarded. End of story.

And yet you watch anime.

>It has been already answered in the thread like six times.

So it takes out character depth and adds in kawaii voices. Got it.

>So while your average LN will only contain kanji a highschooler would know, an adult-oriented book will have a wider variety of them, and less common vocabulary used.

Please give some examples of this because I haven't encountered it at all.

Is this a Japan only thing or do they market Japanese translations of Harry Potter for example as LNs too?

You're a very aggressive kind of idiot.

>So it takes out character depth and adds in kawaii voices. Got it.

The "Character depth" that gets taken out is compromised entirely of self-referential statements that repeat what the narration already told you.
Plus, the unsufferable middle-school-tier writing doesn't help either.

>Please give some examples of this because I haven't encountered it at all.
What does giving you examples mean?
You can open any LN and see that the kanji used are just the partial jouyou kanji, plus the chuu and kougaku lists.

They're marketed to young people, but they're still normal books. The translation was made simpler to match the age target, as far as I know.

>Defending LNs
>Meme OP pic

>What does giving you examples mean?

I want to see this advanced kanji usage you're talking about.

Shit stories deserve to/must be butchered.

God this is so fucking accurate that it hurts. I keep trying to enjoy LN (hell, I learned Japanese so I could read them one day), but they are just so BAD. I have yet to find a single Japanese author that actually wrote stories that I could immerse in and enjoy. Have you encountered any?

Just for more info than the others gave, Microsoft IME has a "Drawpad" where you can write out a kanji that you don't know the reading for. You can also search by radicals on a site like Jisho.org

HP is targeted at the same kind of audience so it's a pretty logical thing to do. And personally, the writing wasn't particularly impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if it was considered an above average LN even with a faithful translation.

Talking about translations, I see that the Japanese remember some classics with translation titles.
Count of Monte Cristo is called Bunker King in Japanese or something.

Because I like to control the pacing of the story myself, instead of it being spoon fed to me.

It's just kanji that are not found in the jouyou and school lists.
I mean, it's just something you see in every page, it's not like you can point at one and say "See, this proves it's an adult book!"

They're also usually written with old versions of the kanji
Nowadays titles are mostly left the same though

>Have you encountered any?
Jinrui ha suitai shimashita manages to be a LN while avoiding the terrible writing.
The surreal overtones make comprehension hard at times though.

>I mean, it's just something you see in every page, it's not like you can point at one and say "See, this proves it's an adult book!"

So your bullshitting.

Because reading poorly written anime scripts is stupid as shit

LNs aren't anime scripts, though.

It's something that permeates every page, like reading a book aimed at grade-schoolers and adult narration side to side.

It's not like you can point at single words and say "See, big word!" as proof that one text is more mature, the general structure tells you that.

What do you think of Mushoku Tensei?

There are good LNs out there

Just not a lot of them

Thankfully I take like 2 weeks to finish one with my shitty Japanese so I'm unlikely to run out anytime soon

>LNs aren't anime scripts, though.

You're right. They're worse.

Not him, but seriously?

BTW, are there any finished LNs that have a complete and somewhat faithful anime adaptation?

LNs are shit 90% of the time. Ruining the story is most times an improvement

Toranora, minus the bit at the end Okada changed for the sake of her forced drama.

Katanagatari

Meant toradora.

Didn't know that, maybe I should try getting the translations and seeing how's the experience differs.

And then you read Mahouka/Yahari.

>translations

I assume that by
>completely ruin
you mean:
>do the painfully necessary work that the LN's editor should have done in the first place

>claims he can read Japanese
>is only able to come up with EOP meme authors like Murakami and Romeo
hmmmmmmmm

Even people learning Japanese will go into authors that are popular in the west first, just like first-time manga readers will usually read in Japanese series they enjoyed scanlated first.

It's not like the typical Japanese learner would have an extensive knowledge of Japanese prose authors unless they were also famous overseas.

>Yahari
lmaooo

exactly

It's embarrassing to see how elite book readers get when they waste their time watching anime or reading manga.

>my media of choice is inherently more mature!
Please kill yourself.

Why do people Read LN's and the badly machine translated ones?

A LN will come out once or twice a year and you put up with that as well as garbage translations? Cannot fucking relate.

>Why do people Read LN's and the badly machine translated ones?
ESL teenagers like the crappy wish fulfillment plot, and the broken English is easier for them to read.

This Tbh Senpai

Because LNs are better than pretentious teenagers want to believe.

>People like this exist even on Sup Forums

Have fun getting left on constant cliff hangers while your "Translator" takes months doing one chapter.

I know Japanese. Thanks, though.

>I'm smart enough to learn Japanese
>I read the kinds of LNs that regularly get adapted
Pick one.

Doesn't change the fact that LN's only come up twice a year at most if they aren't SAO tier.