Why are north american retail dying? Malls and stores don't seem to be dying in europe...

Why are north american retail dying? Malls and stores don't seem to be dying in europe, they certainly aren't in Norway where more are opening, and more stores are being added. In my town of 40-50k there's 2 big malls with a total of 200+ stores and several mini-malls and chain stores. While in america and Canada malls are closing down and even Walmarts and other big brand stores are going out of business.

Online shopping is not it, because online shopping is as big in the rest of the world as it is in the US. Is it the economy that's in the trash? I don't know.

>Online shopping is not it
yes, yes it is. norwegians don't buy milk from the internet.

So explain Walmarts closing down. I believe I've read that online shopping is not even 10% of the entire retail sector.

maybe if they sold something worth buying?

You only need to lose 1 or 2% of sales in a store for it to shut down.
More to the point, we pay tax in stores, but not on the Internet. I'm guessing you still pay sales tax or VAT or whatever online.

Walmart can't push low quality low prices any lower.. the dollar store sells higher quality good... for $1

Huge crash coming to the Americans...commercial sector real estate is wallowing in non-flagship vacant property.

>You only need to lose 1 or 2% of sales in a store for it to shut down

Heard of cutting staff? Downsizing?

We pay VAT above a certain price online. But online shopping is still massive here without store closings.

America has too many shopping malls due to a craze in the eighties, Europeans picked it up somewhat but not to the extent Americans did, Basically Europeans have too few malls and Americans too many.

niggers

You think it's just america?
Ever looked at our recent house prices?

>they certainly aren't in Norway

There are size issues. As your entire country is smaller than just California so there is more transport cost and so on for USA goods. People have to travel more to US based malls and for most of the US the weather is pretty shit most of the year.
Then you have the high cost of retail and so on making goods cost more than online.

years ago big retail squeezed out all the mom and pop shops, at least for retail like stuff in most cases. Now most of your chains sell the same basic BS. In a push to drive down costs, most of the stuff they sell is really crappy too. Low quality junk clothing for example.
So selection wise I'm pretty much forced to shop online, even if I wanted to buy local I can't do it for a lot of items.

It doesn't help that any mall that is not high end and in a white area of town is just filled with shit tier hood rats who hang out, don't buy shit and drive off paying customers.

Like in Sacramento, California all the local malls that use to be good are total shit. The good one is now a few miles out of town in Roseville. A higher end white area that is the suburb demographics that match up with having good healthy retail.

i only shop at whole foods Costco IKEA and Amazon i am become millenial destroyer of commercial real estate

I think this is right. The popular malls I went to when I was a kid (mid 90s) are now gutted out and being converted into office space and classrooms. The newer built malls are still doing great business

According to a report, Norway has the most amount of malls per capita.

>America has too many shopping malls due to a craze in the eighties

Yeah and that a huge one too. Like Sacramento had Sunrise Mall, Florin Mall, Arden Fair Mall and Downtown Plaza. Four huge mega malls all with around 10ish miles of each other? Then they wanted to turn around and build another in Elk Grove and another in Folsom.

Never mind all the other mall like stores that build around a mall, but are not part of the mall. It's just millions of square feet of retail space. Everything is just a dupe of what is already in the other malls too.

it's just too much retail space if it's not the booming 80s where everyone was making stupid money off tech and stocks.

Having name brand fashion like in the 80s and most of the 90s is not as important now for the target sector (ages 12-34).

We've had this thread before and many times, and the answer is always the same.

Niggers.

Nobody wants to go to a place where disgusting niggers are loitering around and making shopping an unpleasant experience. Not even other niggers.

The trend I've seen here is to open up one huge strategically located mall in a suburb that kills off 4 or 5 smaller malls in the surrounding area. For whatever reason we prefer to drive 45 minutes to a "good" mall then 15 minutes to a second rate mall. Especially if the local mall attracts a "culturally diverse" clientele

>People have to travel more to US based malls and for most of the US the weather is pretty shit most of the year.

Norway is far more sparsely populated than the US and the weather is shitter, too.

To be honest retailers in both Holland and germany have been dissappearing for years now.

niggers

>Niggers start hanging out in malls
>Don't buy anything except Foot Locker and Lids
>Carjack & steal
>Mall gets reputation as dangerous
>White people clear out

Mall after mall after mall has suffered this fate

A bit similar to what happens here. The mall closer to downtown is now seeing less foot traffic, while the suburban malls are just booming like crazy.

>Go to the store
>Full of retards, niggers, and Mexicans
>Don't have what I want in stock, despite their site saying it's available
>Employee says xhe can't find it in the back, but can order it
>Even just "shopping" is hindered by a small selection

Yeah, I'll just order from home and make UPS slaves bring it to me.

Hmm. It seems to be booming in Scandinavia. As I said in my town there are massive expansions. Down in Sweden they've built the huge Mall of Scandinavia and another big one in Malmö.

And yet white Americans are angered when someone says something critical about their pet nignogs. What a country of cucks.

It's also easier to buy shirts with images on them from a place like tshirthell.com that only makes the shirts once a week and then ships them out.

The same applies to Finland. The capital region is seeing a ridiculous number of mall openings/expansions.

No idea what you're getting at Sven

Big shopping monopolies like Amazon

Cool. Good to hear the finnish economy is doing good as well.

Not really a monopoly if prices are the lowest is it? I know the definition, but that's more of a technicality.

Are you retarded or something? Did you forget your meds? Did you shift in from a new timeline? Quick, Berenstain or Berenstein?

Amazon doesn't have the lowest prices. They used to be very competitive, not so much now

Niggers

when your home town gets a shout out on Sup Forums

Probably not a popular town considering the fact that half of americans are forced to send 1/3 of their income there every April.

>Malls and stores don't seem to be dying in europe
They are where I live, two malls in the same town with over a dozen vacant stores in them.

It is online shopping, but it is also the mega-store sucking up all the remaining retail customers. Why go to SpecSavers, Carphone Warehouse, PC World, HMV, Harry Corry, Debenhams, Greggs, WaterStones, etc, etc, when you can get a small selection of all the above in "good-enough" quality from Tesco Extra? Same in America with WalMart.

>Malls and stores don't seem to be dying in europe

But this is false, OP.

What you're telling might be true in Norway, but don't you get some fuck-massive taxes to pay when you're ordering abroad?

Neighborhood strip malls might do well because they carry essentials like groceries and other services, but too many indoor shopping malls were definitely put up in the 80s and 90s to serve middle to middle-low income blue collar communities who can no longer support them.

Those malls can thrive, you just need a lot of wealthy customers, no "urban youth", and the mall needs to be big enough to support a lot of decent anchors. My mall is fantastic, and even if we lose Sears it will probably continue on without problem.

America is way ahead of Europe, so Europe is just entering the stage of malls. We're far more developed and malls are on their way out.

Come on. When I was in america a few years ago all the strip malls seemed to have a few vacant stores, maybe a Subway, a chinese food place and a nail parlor, always a fucking nail salon in those places. Not exactly thriving.

>Heard of cutting staff? Downsizing?
They don't, though. Walmart runs all its stores exactly the same way. I think there are two variations, the Walmart with groceries, and the Walmart without groceries. Either the cookie-cutter Walmart with exactly the same inventory and operating expenses as every other Walmart is going to make a profit in this location, or it's not.
When it's not, it's cheaper for the Walmart corporation to just shut it down. In order to operate at that scale, they can't customize the way individual stores run.

Malls in the USA are dying because niggers tend to hang out in them looking for easy marks.

Blacks are a factor, but not the only one. Sometimes areas just get depressed and the can't sustain the mall, or maybe an anchor leaves and that kills traffic. Dan Bell's videos mostly show off malls fitting those kinds of situations where the mall is just dead from years of lessened traffic.

Oh the anchor store is fucked unless rents come down

Many of the anchor chains have bit the dust, and Macy's/Federated swallowed most of the smaller regional chains that would occupy 2 or 3 anchor stores in a single mall--now there's just one Macy's, which is shit quality

Oh, sorry, mr. 38% is offended!

Delusional america number 1 thinking. Malls have been popular in Europe since the 70s-80s.

I do agree that america is better than the UK, Germany, France and those places. But Scandinavia is ahead of america considering we have all of your conveniences, with a whiter population, a more robust economy (yes, your heroin shot-like economy might feel good for the moment, but the debt and QE heroin will wear off very soon) and much better government finances.

Malls aren't exactly on their way out, they've changed now to try and be more like outdoor shopping malls. Again, these will go up in affluent white communities and they mix the shopping mall and strip mall together, but with a higher end clientele in mine.

The key factor is: live in a rich white area.

Disappointed this wasn't the first post

>abject confusion
>offended
Finnbro, I love you, but please have some vodka or drink less, one or the other. You have no idea what you're on about.

>go to a mall
>everywhere it's niggers
>leave

i highly doubt that 1/3 of Americans send money to Roseville.

Sacramento ya bogan.

>Online shopping is not it,
You seriously underestimate how lazy most americans are if dont have to go out we won't also the malls have been gathering places for niggers

The US Department of Commerce reports total e-commerce sales in 2016 accounts for 11.7%.

It’s called a shopping centre and i hate them

>Retail store failing
>Turn store location into a distribution center
>Hire drivers to make local deliveries for online purchases

The free market fixed it

It's called Amazon.com

There is also something else Americans have too much of that is killing shopping malls.

Yeah in the UK they're shit because there's no parking, they're small and cramped. But in low population density countries they're quite nice because they're big.