Is there any particular reason why this show went from a story about a highschool spirit detective solving mysteries...

Is there any particular reason why this show went from a story about a highschool spirit detective solving mysteries caused by ghosts and demons to DBZ power level shit???? I really liked it up until the Dark Tournament ARc then I just lost interest in and never bothered finishing it. Read up on it and it sounds like it got even worse and even more convoluted.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gfrigQEP36Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Conclusion of dark tournament arc was the peak.
If you want ongoing high school mini stories with fighting and powers, watch Ranma or something.

Ranma isn't funny or interesting as the first cour of YuYuHakusho. It was fine the way it was and then had to go and copy Dragon Ball with all the transformations, power levels, secret techniques and fights that lasted episodes

The beginning of YYH was horrible, the powerlevels and fights were the only good parts.
In conclusion, it's your opinion man.

Jump editors

>the beginning was horrible
Are you kidding me? That was arguably where it was at its peak.
This scene and the follow up redemption episodes up til his resurrection was seriously one of the only to ever make me cry in an anime. It was great

forgot my pic i was so overcome with emotion

I sort agree with you op. The tournents were kind of boring and tedious to read/watch. Bit they were what made the series popular. There are hints of what yyh could consistently be if given the chance. The first and third season and the politics of season 4 are a good example.

I remember reading some of the Manga back when it was being published in Shonen Jump, and occasionally there would be these flash back stories where Yusuke was back in HS solving local mysteries in the spirit of the first season of YYH. Those were pretty good. They were never in the anime though.

I enjoyed YYH's manga but the anime far overstayed its welcome.

That's true. It loved the story about the dog and the old man. It's too bad they weren't included in the show.

The color schemes and off model art triggered my autism.

Wait, people don't like the YYH anime?

THEN SUDDENLY

Only half of it

True. The beginning up to the first kiss with Keiko was God tier storytelling.

Dragon Ball started as a comedy. Boy meets girl and goes on an adventure. The readers did not care so much. The editor made the author add a tournament. The audience increased considerably. After that, the arcs started getting more serious and, in the end, it all ended in a mess.

Now change "Dragon Ball" for "YYH".

Is there not just more series like this? Just fun without the tryhard shit

Hunter X Hunter

I actually didn't mind the Chapter Black storyline except the part where they fucked with the music and added some weird hip hop shit.

HxH is pretty tryhard

first ARC of Bleach is the same way, just introducing main characters and hollows every episode

And then it went downhill just as bad. Went from fashionable (not) delinquents defending the city to selective god breeding.

You're tryhard

If you didn't like Dark Tournament all that much, you might like chapter black and the three kings arc.

Chapter Black is actually pretty good, but it was the arc where Toonami aired it sporadically so people would see random episodes and get confused. For the people that went back and watch YYH, it doesn't get much love because it wasn't the Dark Tournament, which is the highlight for most people.

Three Kings is pretty good, but its even less liked, probably because its the shortest arc and you could tell they wanted to rush towards a ending. However it does end up giving a lot of closure to the series, giving it a better ending then it had any right to considering how rushed it was.

It picks up during Tournament's final fight and Chapter Black imo. What ruined it was Yusuke suddenly being half demon because he said so.

desu I really didn't care for the beggining all that much. The rest of the show is good tho. It's just opinions man.

>Yusuke being half-demon

Ruined the show.

Just came here to say the dub of this still impresses me to this day.

IIRC Justin Cook purposedly rewrote the show to have a different feel than the manga/original japanese adpatation

I only read the manga, If i remember correctly they never kissed in the manga, right?

'Tryhard' is quite possibly the dumbest way I've ever heard a work of fiction being described. Go watch SoL comedy if you don't want to see a series trying.

Meh, at least it gives you a plausible reason for him being so damn strong. YuYu just has a special place in my heart though, so I can't really find anything wrong with my nostalgia goggles on.

It's the curse of Shonen.

Anything that goes on long enough has to incorporate "powerlevels" bullshit as the stakes get ramped up. Tournaments are symptomatic of this but not necessarily guaranteed.

Yeah watching the subtitled version feels like a new experience, I don't think it would be as fondly remembered if it kept the same japanese script.

Everyone is just way more bland with the original script, like it really fails to capture yusuke's delinquent behavior.

As much as I hate what Tournament arcs usually do to a story, the one in YYH was pretty fucking based.

Also, the Dark Tournament introduced Juri, i.e. the single most underrated character in the history of anime.

It had some good eerie music, Dark Tournament had some nice ominous fight music though. youtube.com/watch?v=gfrigQEP36Q

Agreed for the most part, Chapter Black might be my favorite since I like the idea of supernatural powers going at it in modern settings, it's part of why I liked the Saint Beasts arc with the insects.

Three Kings had the setup for some intricate stuff, you could tell the political conflict could have gone on for longer with the sort of sabotage and dirty tricks observed during DT. There's quite a bit that could have been, but yeah, the ending was still nice.

>juri

nigga pls get out of here with that shittier tourneyfu

Chapter Black went to shit for me the very exact moment Sensui grew a gun arm. Felt like the author was trying to sabotage the story on purpose.

I liked the Three Kings arc better.

It introduced Hiei's waifu.

Togashi was forced to add big tournaments by his editor.
Part of the trend/curse of shonen storytelling is that storylines aren't all that well thought out because of deadlines. There's a lot of dumb holes and weird storylines that seem off, but there's quite a bit of charm in character dynamics and the action to make entertaining.

The english dub was fun, the sass and quips in the dialogue kept me wanting more. The storytelling in Chapter Black was my favorite, and I'm glad Togashi had more freedom to avoid typical shonen tropes in Hunter x Hunter.