The collapse of the horse industry in the US

I know this seems like a minor issue, but it says something about the culture. Basically, the number of horses and horse-owners in the US are hitting historic lows. There are probably fewer than 9 million horses in the US in 2017, the lowest since the early 1800's. The number of owners is slipping toward 1.7 million, or barely 0.5% of the population. The average age of an American horse owner has gone from early-40's to almost 50 just since the year 2000.

Basically, horse culture is dying out. This was a big part of the US for centuries, and it is fading away. The question is - is it purely a matter of money? Are millennials just too poor to buy or maintain horses? Or is it cultural, too? Are younger people simply not interested in the horse tradition anymore? Would YOU own horses if you had the means, Sup Forums?

Horses are expensive and the women that are into them are bat-shit crazy.

the nail in the coffin for horses was hammered in the moment the automobile was made

I love horses, it's just such an expensive hobby.

If I had some land with good pasture I might get one or two

Interesting. I'd say owning horses is almost based. Typical of European culture, though not exclusive.

>the amount of people using the post to send messages is the lowest it has ever been
>sending letters was a big part of the US

Horses are obsolete. Nobody but the Dixie Stampede has any use for them.
>Would YOU own horses if you had the means, Sup Forums?
No, for the same reason I wouldn't own a nigger, I got no need for obsolete farm equipment.

Pretty much.

it's not an ethical industry, they're responsible for the pop. bubble in the first place and can diaf

Amerifats are just getting heavier. They should genetically engineer horses now to support the obese.

>the nail in the coffin for horses was hammered in the moment the automobile was made

the nail in the coffin for automobiles was hammered in the moment the self-drive-car was made

>as the horse was to the 19th and 20th century so was and will be the car to the 20th and 21st century

>Nobody but the Dixie Stampede has any use for them.
Out West ranchers and hunters still use them because they handle mountainous terrain pretty well.
You southern flatlanders wouldn't understand.

Jews don't like horses.

This. My mother and 2 sisters all have horses, they spend a majority of their min wage earnings on them and they're all nuts.
Then, they complain about all the other women with horses, who come from wealthier families.
Overall, owning a horse is awkward, un-interesting and time consuming. It's like keeping a retard in a shed in the woods, that you have to mind daily.
Then there's fact these fuckers go lame, for bullshit reasons, meaning you can't ride them.

Might Aswell just develop a drug addiction.

Horses are expensive as fuck if you don't have the land to pasture them. Not just any land. It has to have good quality feed or you'll be spending a heap of cash to supplement their feed.

They are still really common in parts of the Pacific Northwest, the Rockies and down through the desert Southwest. My family in Montana and Idaho all own horses and they all have a lot of land. One of the ways they make money is by charging rich horse owners a ton of money to pasture their horses.

My boomer parents had horses at various times, as did those who preceeded them. I cannot picture myself or any sibling or half-sibling ever having anywhere near the wealth required.

once you get a taste of that BHC it all makes sense

Urbanization. Even the NYPD one are just a meme.

What are combustion engines, the post.

why would i want to take care of a large, smelly, high-maintenance animal?

Its the economy. Horses are more expensive than having a car in the long run.