twitter.com/yenpress/status/733707705865605120

Gifting now ded

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/yenpress/status/733707086878658560
yaruok.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-155.html#entry4317
creativindie.com/make-more-money-on-kindle-by-reducing-your-mobi-file-size/
kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A29FL26OKE7R7B
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guess we'll have to make do with fanfics.

Good, it was always shit.

The anime is 100 times better than the LN so no one gives a fuck.

Not like anyone was translating it anyway, all we have is fanfiction.

Kill yourselves.

Fanfic will stop after the 9th volume.
Guess we have to hope someone else decides continue the "fanfic".

>implying
Sky already said he will stop. At least we will get death march and goblin slayer too , no one was translating them.

This

YP a shit. Fuck, I hate their speed and localization.

If you really about LNs you'll have to learn Japanese. There's no way around it.

Gotta wait till 2021 till it reach vol. 9.

Why do I get the feeling that they are over-expanding? It's like Del-ray all over again or shit.

They have the backing of Hachette and Kadokawa so they're not going to go down as easily.

I hate their translations more than anything.

I'll learn fluent Japanese before these slow asses get to Vol 8

Same. Localizing honorifics and otaku lexicon/jokes/references, among other things, makes me cringe.

This "Yen Press is slow" meme is really funny considering they have all 3 SAO Progressive volumes out in less time than it would have taken for the fan translation to finish even volume 1. At anywhere from 2 to 5 releases per year per series while maintaining over a dozen series, they are actually moving at a pretty brisk pace, at least as fast as many Japanese authors wrote the series in the first place.

First, SAO is an exception since it's super popular and it's one of their main cashcow. Second, Progressive had slow/stalled fan project, but SAO's (superior) fan translation was fast and active as hell.

It could have been true if the visual isn't that eye-gouging.
The succubus arc ended up being a nightmare thanks to that.

Tap is really slow at translating new Alicization volumes, in case you haven't noticed.

js06 and sky are really exceptions. See Tap taking his sweet time on SAO, BT taking their sweet time with SAO:P, Nanodesu taking their sweet time with Grimgar and Rokka and Korean Zombie and pretty much everything else they pick up, Canonrap taking his sweet time with Apocrypha, Seki taking his sweet time with Zaregoto, Woods Runner taking his sweet time with Twintail, etc etc etc.

The vast majority of fan translation is really fucking slow.

Time to download all "fanfics" available. And pray that one day I stop being a faggot and finally learn japanese.

>Expecting fan translators to slave away on translations at the speed of professionals without any monetary compense most of the time.

This guy

Well that's the point isn't it? People complain that YP are too slow and bitching about YP's speed is practically a meme while forgetting that unpaid volunteer fan translators are frequently even slower and more unreliable.

Yen Press aren't slow once they get going, but they do take a while in between announcing and the first release which makes it feel like it takes longer, and they also usually start from further behind than the fan translation was at.

>get job at yen press
>leech translations from fan translations
>???
>proffit

When unofficial translations are years ahead of them, they need to pick up the pace.

This is exactly like TV shows that air a year later in other countries. Staying behind is terrible business.

3-4 books a year is normal for release, we think it's slow because we already read far more than they offered, and by the time they catch the current volume, raw already stretched out too.
Also, the fantranslation isn't super bad, not good but far from unreadable. They just need editor like the one who did late volume 8.

I'm gonna buy the scales, nendos, manga and LNs.

Buy the original, don't support JewPress

I don't disagree with you there. But the thing with YP and most other publishing companies is that they often take on more than they can handle and disrupt the progress of existing fan translations. There have been plenty of LNs stuck in permanent limbo because the publishers go nowhere with the translations despite having the license.

Satan/YenPress , pls.

They're underhanded at times yeah, but I give them points when they pick up niche.

This and Overlord. My other niche LNs translators dropped out on and will never look back? All I got is YP to count on to pick up in the future. Sky was a blessing and stuck with his work, he's fantastic. 90% other groups that do LNs ditch it when they don't get the attention anymore. Also I can't read the originals.

Tokyopop was long ago, Yen Press has been pretty good at not putting things on hiatus. Haruhi is done, Spice and Wolf is done, and they even kept going with Bungaku Shoujo even though literally nobody seems to have read it.

>90% other groups that do LNs ditch it when they don't get the attention anymore

It's amazing how often this happens.

First mahouka and then this..

Just fuck my shit up

>tfw Yen Press is the only hope for Antimagic readers now

twitter.com/yenpress/status/733707086878658560

>you only get one more for today
>for today

The ride isn't over yet, prepare for further casualties. Whatever Kadokawa sent C&Ds for I presume would be prime suspects, so I guess DAL, Haganai, DYD, Nobuna, Chaika, Taimadou are all possibilities.

Given the death of fansubbing, do you guys think fan translations are eventually headed the same way? We've had so many DMCAs over the past year or two.

>Yen Press

I look forward to 3DPD covers.

Odds are abyssal tho, anime floppedgreat ost tho the one that got dcma was the French tl together with old licensed LN in BT so it was just a Kadokawa's wide sweep at that moment.

You guys are never going to let that go, are you?

You won't get 3dpd covers. They actually learnt from their mistake of trying to market LN's as teen romance fiction.

All is well as long as I get Goblin Slayer.

I'd wait to see how the first volume turns out before I even consider it. On the other hand, I'm getting more motivation to work on my kanji because I can hardly wait for the next one.

Can they please pick up Boogiepop? Seven Seas is dead and no one else seems to care.

Why so made over some shitty dust jackets?
Only the first one was bad since the first release was actually a printed 3DPD cover. And that got a re-print to fix that "issue". For one, I miss the dust jackets.

I surely can't be the unit one who kind of liked their minimalist Haruhi paperback covers, and appreciated that they also produced hardback versions with the original Japanese cover art for those who wanted it.

In a decade from now, those of us who haven't committed suicide will be stuck with nothing but memories of this time.

If they get Kino no Tabi, I will scream.

Probably won't happen.

>those of us who haven't committed suicide

the fuck?

No, I don't have it.
That's just the preview from GA Bunko's monthly PV book (GA文庫&GAノベル2016年5月の新刊 全作品立読み(合本版)).
I can upload that without DRM if you want it, it will at least include the color illustrations and some monochrome ones from the first few pages.

If you like goblin slayer, check this link .
I suggest you dont use google translate on the whole thing or it will ruin the images.
yaruok.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-155.html#entry4317

Overlord translation doesn't seem that bad though.

Well thanks aniway. Gonna wait for someone to post whole thing.

>Buy a book in a language you can't understand in

No fuck off i don't care about supporting shit since Jewpress probably paid the author off his shitty fee anyways.

I just want to spend money on something I'll be able to read an enjoy.

Give me one reason that makes the LN better than the anime besides it looking pretty shit visual because of muh Deen.

The comedy is pulled off much better in anime because of how good the VA's are.

Buy something I can't read, seems smart.

I don't give a shit as long as they sell the digital versions on the Kindle and Kobo stores instead of on Kadokawa's shitty BookWalker app.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the fantranslations, but what is stopping the fans from translating?

The sites on which they upload them receive DMCAs? Or because the works are getting official translations the translators drop them?

It's not incomplete.

KnK and Tokyo ravens by YP when? Especially the former since i couldn't even read past the first volume due to how much the translations suck.

I can only strongly suggest to get Kobo then.
Illustrations are a lot higher quality than from Kindle and it comes in a proper EPUB format and not that Kindle shit.

>Tokyo Ravens
>wanting to be 13 volumes i.e. at least 3 years and at most 6 years behind the fan translations

Every single time it's 2 things

1. They don't get attention/feel lazy to not do it since it will get a translation eventually

2. Muh buy the LN and support their work attitude that's likely a cover for the above

When will they license pic related or any of the author's works?

Not that user but is there any danger of the Kobo store becoming defunct from being outcompeted by Kindle, having too little market share and losing money like how Sony's eBook business went down?

Was actually thinking of getting a Kindle Paperwhite recently after trying a demo unit in store because trying to read epubs on my phone is a pain, and would consider buying ebooks of LNs that I don't care enough about to pay full price to buy physicals of like Psycome and Danmachi.

>tfw I broke the screen on my glo

>Illustrations are a lot higher quality
How much higher are we talking and by what metric? Greater resolution?

>Tokyo ravens
>Volume 14 hasn't been translated in an entire year

Nah fuck them these guys take the piss and are slow as fuck when doing it. Would rather YP just take it since then i could just use them to reread the series since at this point I barely remember the current events.

The LN is incomplete too retard.

Well, you will be removing the DRM (you don't need to own a Kobo device at all to download the book, their PC reader is enough) anyway so even if they went defunct, you're left with normal EPUB files which can easily be converted. Why Kindle doesn't support EPUB in the first place is a mystery to me anyway (or do they now?).
If you know someone with a Kindle, you could simply try it out beforehand.
Also, just an example so you know what I meant earlier.

YP is limited to 1400px height or width for now.
Also, Kindle's e-books are limited to 3MB in file size, so even if they give you the same resolution, the artifacts will be glaring.

It will obviously be a bit small for fold spreads, though.

>image
So top is Kobo and bottom is Kindle?

>or do they now?
They don't, but I could use Calibre to convert them to AZW3 for reading on a Kindle.

Mostly what I wanted out of Kindle is knowing that a massive company like Amazon is behind it so there is some expectation of quality and after-sales customer service.

>limited to 3MB
What the hell, Amazon? What are Kobo ebook file sizes like?

So if the DRM is really easy to remove, I guess my best option is to get a Kindle for quality hardware and support, but buy and strip Kobo ebooks to archive as well as convert and put on the Kindle?

Why don't they rotate the spreads like sensible people?

I think there's a licensing issue with amazon supporting epub.

Either way it doesn't matter. If you aren't using Calibre to manage your ebooks you're doing it horribly wrong. It automatically converts novels perfectly if you have heuristics enabled to whatever format your device supports, has an alright reader with bookmarks, will allow you to update the metadata on the fly for books and transfers them to your device and my favorite feature is that if you have a kindle it'll convert and email all the books to it and the kindle will autodownload them while in standby so you never have to plug it into your computer.

Its literally the iTunes of ebook management but it works for every single ereader out there.

It also strips the DRM of epubs and converts it to whatever format you want.

Not to mention it works flawlessly with kindle comic converter for manga.

>heuristics
I understand for converting from PDF, but I'm pretty sure that you don't need it to go between epub, azw3, and mobi.

>3MB limit

Stop lying.

It's a 3MB limit for publishers. You can sideload files of whatever size you like, but legitimate AZW3 files purchased from the Kindle store will never be more than 2.X MB.

I have it set to automatically apply heuristics whenever I convert something to azw3/mobi as I've gotten some pretty janky result from it even when going from epub to azw3.

Yeah, top is Kobo.

I'm personally going to get my future purchases from Kobo (I've everything printed so far and it's getting a bit too much on the wallet and my shelf space) and will be stripping the DRM. I don't own a Kobo nor a Kindle but a Story HD, just in case you were wondering.

I don't think there's a limit. I downloaded a bunch of samples from them simply to see the quality and they range from a bit over 2 MB (Kagerou Date v1) and to nearly 10 MB (NGNL v3). These are obviously missing images, so the final file size will be bigger.

Is there even a single official release in your list?

creativindie.com/make-more-money-on-kindle-by-reducing-your-mobi-file-size/

TL;dr Amazon will charge publishers a fee for each time their book is downloaded, and this fee is charged per megabyte. I guess 3MB is the highest YP decided they could go before this became uneconomical.

That limit is in place as LNs read: books with pictures take up a small majority of the kindle market place. Plus for the most part kindle LN releases don't even come close to being 3 MBs so you shouldn't get any artifacts from the files being strained for space.

There are some in the folders above. I mainly buy text based books on my kindle with the exception of "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon" as I was on vacation and couldnt access madokami for some reason.

Plus it's not like amazon had LNs up for sale on the kindle marketplace until very recently.

Yeah, just some addition to that article.
MOBI usually contains HQ images, and once you remove the DRM, they can also be properly extracted.
Since the majority doesn't do it, the internet ends up with the extremely small and shitty ones.

I want more the animoo though, megumin and lich voices are full sex.

>That limit is in place as LNs read: books with pictures take up a small majority of the kindle market place.
You mean a small minority, right?

>Plus for the most part kindle LN releases don't even come close to being 3 MBs so you shouldn't get any artifacts from the files being strained for space.
What? The releases are well under 3MB precisely because they compressed the images to fiendishly artifacted levels so as to make them that small.

Danmachi epubs from Kobo are all over 7.5MB, with volume 4 clocking in at 8.6.

>don't even come close to being 3 MBs so you shouldn't get any artifacts
What?

Yeah I meant minority.

Digital artifacts are made when you're starved for space yet still attempt to force the content into that file size. You let the compression algorithm handle figuring out where shit's supposed to go and that only goes so far before you start losing data which leads to artifacts.

There's a difference between well compressed files as opposed to uncompressed bloat.

Plus as the kindle is a greyscale reader filesizes are naturally smaller.

>Digital artifacts are made when you're starved for space yet still attempt to force the content into that file size. You let the compression algorithm handle figuring out where shit's supposed to go and that only goes so far before you start losing data which leads to artifacts.
And you're starved for space because you want to get the file under 3MB to minimize Amazon's per-megabyte delivery charge. It's less of a hard limit they have to get under and more of a soft economical one, so the fact that it doesn't approach 3MB doesn't mean anything other than that when balancing file size against visible image quality they were able to go down closer to 2 than 3MB.

>Plus as the kindle is a greyscale reader filesizes are naturally smaller.
If you were to rip the DRM and read the files on a color screen you'd be able to see that the images do have color.

>Limit of 3 MB total to compress 15~20 images.
>Well compressed.

Yeah, in your dreams maybe.

Are you people really complaining about the quality if images on a damn light NOVEL?

Lewd illustrations are half the appeal of shit like Danmachi and NGNL, and you bet that Overlord's illustrations do not deserve to be visibly artifacted without zoom.

>paying for something
>not wanting it to have a good quality

Yes.
If I can get it like this for the same price and a better format, why would I even bother with Kindle?

It's not a hard limit, it's an economical one.

kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A29FL26OKE7R7B

>Delivery Costs are equal to the number of megabytes we determine your Digital Book file contains, multiplied by the Delivery Cost rate listed below.

>Amazon.com: US $0.15/MB
India on Amazon.com: INR ₹7/MB
>Amazon CA: CAD $0.15/MB
>Brazil: BRL R$0.30/MB
>Amazon.co.uk: UK £0.10/MB
>Amazon.de: €0,12/MB
>Amazon.fr: €0,12/MB
>Amazon.es: €0,12/MB
>Amazon.it: €0,12/MB
>Amazon.nl: €0,12/MB
>Amazon.co.jp: ¥1/MB
>Amazon.com.mx: MXN $1/MB
>Amazon.com.au: AUD $0.15/MB

>We will round file sizes up to the nearest kilobyte. The minimum Delivery Cost for a Digital Book will be US$0.01 for sales in US Dollars, INR₹1 for sales in Indian Rupees, CAD$0.01 for sales in CAD Dollars, £0.01 for sales in GB Pounds, ¥1 in JPY, R$0.01 for sales in Brazilian Reais, MXN$1 for sales in Mexican Pesos, AUD$0.01 for sales in Australian Dollars, and €0.01 for sales in Euros, regardless of file size.

>For sales in JPY, we will not deduct any Delivery Cost for books 10 MB or greater.

Basically, all the Kindle LNs are 2.(something) MB because probably the profitability versus image quality sweet spot is somewhere around there.

>NOTHING by Kawakami will EVER be localized

>he didn't like DEEN's art direction

I stand corrected. The colors are miles better on my madokami rip compared to the kindle copy.

I will argue though that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day as you're still reading it on a greyscale reader but you are right about the quality loss from their compression.

>click all images with street signs and click verify once there are none left

These captchas are getting asinine.

I don't really mind.
We have a dedicated translator and quite the dedicated fan base which provides its own scans, image edits, and e-books which don't fall short to the actual purchased ones if you ask me.

Here's the image extracted directly from a Kobo epub by the way.