They said western literature is better then japanese LN

They said western literature is better then japanese LN.

I read pic related and the mc is a worse version than Kirito

Read Fifty Shades of Grey and watch Boku no Pico

That's why you should have read Abercrombie and Lynch instead.

You read high fantasy and didn't expect the MC to be perfect? You're an idiot.

>implying high fantasy needs a perfect MC

This is how I know you are a casual.

Now go read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

>gary stu MC
>still a cuck
Never gets old

Try reading something actually good.

Never listen to /lit/ on what to read.

English please.

A song of ice and fire > Kingkiller chronicles.

its your own fault for picking a shittier fantasy franchise to read.

Ironically, both series that will never be finished.

So go read Joe Abercrombie instead.

I read the first book not long ago. It was quite honestly one of the worst pieces of literature I've ever read.

The main character is a fucking faggot who thinks he's hot shit and some sort of genius.
But for the majority of the book he's obsessing over the most trivial shit, like how fucking poor he is, or his childish back-and-forths with the school bully, all while being lead around by his prepubescent boner for that Dena slut.

It's absolutely baffling how much attention that piece of shit gets, but when I compare it to the likes of SAO it all starts to make sense.

Thats the good part of GOT
You know that there will never be an end so you can make up your own headcanon

The prose was decent and people are a sucker for harry potter bullshit.

Me, I prefer battle royal bullshit, so my current flavor is Red Rising.

I prefer the brand of high fantasy where everybody are just dysfunctional idiots trying to get by a crazy world.

>Reads a shit book
>Think all western books are shit

Fine anime is all garbage and manga is a shitty medium since STB and blue Exorcist exists.

Oh, a Sanderson fan.

Not all obviously. Try reading something good like Harry Potter or A Song of Ice and Fire.

They're the best kind with epics coming a close second.

Go read something something of the malazan something, you might notice a single author is not a representation of the whole western book media.

What if he doesn't want to have to read 750 pages of garbage before the story gets good?

What's the Bonnie and Clyde of high fantasy?

Republic of thieves was fucking boring to 80%, Lynch really needs to step up in Emberlain

What the fuck does that even mean?

So its like an american berserk? Amazing low fantasy story that looses some steam later on, and will not be finished in the next 10 years...

This isn't good? Shit, I was going to read it next after I finish Mistborn.

I know you're shitposting, but Potter is good.

>So its like an american berserk
No.
Just skip Mistborn and go to Stormlight, Sanderson was a total hack until 2010, at which point he became a partial hack.

>Potter is good.
Holy shit user.

Let's ignore the plot completely.

JK Rowling has the prose and literary pacing of a retarded tree sloth.

She makes Clive Cussler look like Murakami.

A song of Ice and Fire will be finished by some hack like Kevin J. Anderson.

I'd imagine that they'd rope in one of the modern grimdark authors.

This. TWOW when?!

I'm just still mad about Dune.

Hey guys, remember the Dark tower movie?

Fuck you

Read the second book, mate

>GRRM works
>good
Nigga I know you watch anime with how bad your taste is

Western fantasy that would make good anime?

Don't remind me.

If it has to be Fantasy, go read His Dark Materials.

Kingkiller isn't great, but it's enjoyable if you're not expecting "art."

Aren't LN just preteen/young adult books?

>Calls others casual
>While reading The Chronicles of Clenching Covenant

I don't give a shit if Kvothe is a huge fucking Mary-Sue or whatever, the worldbuilding is incredible and I want to see all of what Four Corners has to offer.

People need to put the fun in funtasy again.

I need some of that chill discovering-the-world SoL shenanigans.

This is pretty much a western LN.

Gary Stu protagonist who can do everything and anything, including being a sex god during his first time.

On top of that he's a complete white knight who can't fuck the girl he's been going after since the beginning of his story, who by the way is a literal whore.

The one where Denna literally fucks a thousand dudes and Kvothe plays Not!-Go with the dude that is secretly the evil guy fucking and beating her black and blue?

And anime sex ninjas? And the anime sex fairly? And what feels like 4000 pages stuck in the forest doing nothing?

A good adaptation of a song of ice and fire books. Honestly, this kinda book works only as an anime. It's too long and complicated for a movie, and the tv series has gone down the shitter after season 4 (it is literally the worst thing airing right now). Only an anime can do such a
Book series any justice, since they can do more with that medium than tv and movies.

Pirates just like One Piece.

>Potter is good

Funny because when I read Harry Potter, It felt like I was reading a magic academy light novel due to how terrible it was.

Son, I've been reading fantasy since before you were born.

Just because you can't handle a protagonist that isn't an anime action hero, doesn't mean all of us can't.

I recently read Animal Farm (I'm from a fucking third world country, cut me some slack) and I really like how the author is really good at painting a picture in your mind with just words, as well as tackling really serious themes and making fun of them - while also remaining a pretty good story itself.

For someone who reads mostly LNs, which books do you guys recommend (for starters)?

I bet you enjoy the works of Brandon Sanderson.

Is there no MMO fantasy book/movie (like SAO, Konosuba) in murrica?
Just curious.

I had huge anime vibes reading this.

Also scifi > fantasy

To be fair, the books go down the shitter after the 2nd one too. I don't know how much each season covers since I've never watched the show.

I don't know what that is but it looks like hot garbage. Read good fantasy like Book of the New Sun if you absolutely have to read fantasy.

The Wheel of Time? I dropped the series during the 10th book because I lost interest and patience in reading and I hate every fiber of my being for it but the series were actually pretty solid, even if the pacing was quite slow.

>Funny because when I read Harry Potter, It felt like I was reading a magic academy light novel due to how terrible it was.

That's pretty much exactly what Harry Potter is. Young Adult fiction is Young Adult fiction no matter where you are.

I want to see Shadowmarch in animu form.
Tad Williams writing basically screams SHAFT and they even have elven nips.

Robert Jordan openly admitted to stretching it out to keep making money when he realized there was still interest. Just like my japanese mangos.

Yeah but he gets laid, man

You mean fantasy? Because Pratchett is pretty much the best entry-level hilarity you can read.

Something like Otherland maybe?

What about Malazan Book of the Fallen?

I still enjoyed the fuck out of it, and Winter's Heart was hype. I just need to get into reading books again and perhaps I'll finish the series.

You guys should really try and read things that aren't fantasy or sci-fi.

>And anime sex ninjas
Oh yea the sex ninja amazon tribe or whatever that trained Kvothe in chinese kempo and he paid for it by having to fuck them.

Could have found that story on sadpanda.

Otherland was actually really good too. IMO.

Is it true that the Wheel of Time is basically a western LN? I heard that it's a harem with tsundere girls and everything, kind of makes me want to read it

If I wanted real world I would go outside.

in 2 years maybe. then another 6 or 7 for the last one.

>>GRRM works
>>good
And what is wrong with the works of GRRM? i have read most of hi older, sci fi novels, and they are fascinating as fuck. After reading those, i got a whole new perspective on the ASOIAF books. At this point im expecting the main plot twist to be that its a sci fi story, not fantasy.

So i dont see a reason (other than being a contrarian) for anyone hating on GRRM's works.

You want me to go on a Tom Clancy binge or something?

I never did finish it, but at least it's a less embarrassing part of my childhood than when I was reading Sword of Truth.

>reading

What are you, European?

Better than reading 700 pages of something to end with shit.

God no, that's not any better.

>fantasy
>no mention of Brent Weeks
But he was on the best seller list!

Sure is anime and manga here.

Oh God now I'm curious

I'm not really fan of western books but the only western fantasy I've read was Percy Jackson and it was pretty good.

I do, not really relevant to the direction the thread is heading. And sci-fi/fantasy is pretty good junk food, with the occasional book that actually has some literary merit thrown into the mix as well.

Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series would do pretty well. One guy joins up with three girls (ojou-hime, tsundere red head, dark skinned tomboy who ends up becoming a lesbian later). Guy also has a MILF-tier teacher and acquires his own stubborn loli whilst on adventures.

Pretty wild ride overall considering how many books there are now.

You have no power here.
Night Angel was hot garbage.

Lightbringer is fun, but is suffering from terrible bloat and some moronic character choices.

Yeah, but I don't mind folk-ish stuff as well.

I don't want anything hard sci-fi, though.

>calling fantasy literature
>fantasy books ever being good

top pleb

Mistborn
Son of the Black Sword

The first two aren't that bad. It was only when he became more focused on his politics and his rape/bondage fantasies it went to crap

This series is absolute garbage. I don't know why its so hyped up.
I think the Black Company would make a very good animated series.

Netflix pls

I'm just trying to expand your horizons user, there's more out there than just what you know and consider safe.

All books are literature.

Did you hear he's separating his last book into two separate books, with the next one being set to release in 2018? Quality bloat.

also
>Night Angel was hot garbage
We can't be friends any longer Anonymous. I'm sorry.

I bet you think all movies are film

I have never read a LN yet but considering the reputation those books have, I'd say it's quite different. The vocabulary used isn't exactly everyday stuff, world-building is pretty great (if we can ignore what the first book did because it was honestly dumb on quite a bit of occasions, especially at the end) and there's a look into character psychology (even if the MC has a martyr complex that can be very unnerving).

>Literature, in its broadest sense, consists of any written productions. More restrictively, it refers to those deemed to have artistic or intellectual value, or which deploy language in ways that differ from ordinary usage.

Depends on how you use the word.

Okay. I got it. You want me to read some Carl Sagan?

Nobody would call a pop science book or a STEM thesis literature.

All movies are cinema.

He acquires god like sex skills after he spends a surreal amount of time in some kind of magical space together with some kind of sex god fairy.
I think only 1 day or so passes by while he spends several months in there or so.

He there acquires super dicking skills and then ends up in the sex ninja tribe who fuck people so often they think men are not necessary in the reproduction process because they have so often sperm inside them they dont realize the causal connection.

And if I remember correctly Kvothe is at the time of his training the only guy there.

I should never read through books thread on Sup Forums, all this fantasy wankery, it's like I'm on Sup Forums.