Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1548

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSzWfnp_5E
kitsunekko.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=i6fwe3EFTRQ&feature=youtu.be&t=16s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverbial_clause
imgur.com/6PtYjKc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10Gth9S1y6UsjC7frDds4xH3-mWbfTPR
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Damn that's a fucking great picture

HOW DO I STOP THIS SHITTY BLINKING

>gay christmas image
>doesn't say djt anywhere on it
No, it's not great.

I'm not having that problem, but someone posted this in the last thread:

Study music
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSzWfnp_5E

thanks

Well I think it's pretty adorable, I don't come across Kino pics very often

What is some good reading material for a beginner? anywhere online i can find something to read after doing anki reps?

The guide.

NHK easy news maybe? That shit's pretty casual

But the new guide is bad.

use the guide to find stuff to read.
but finding raws online is a nightmare with dead links

Is it harder to get epubs of Japanese books / light novels than it is of Western books? Do they have huge and active private trackers like us?

speaking of raws, does anyone know a better source than kitsunekko.net/ for finding 日本語字幕?

do raw BD rips and that sort of thing usually come with them?

He meant the reading list, not the guide. It's in the OP link.

Seems kitsunekko is the best you're gunna get unfortunately

Why don't you check yourself retard

I'm heading to Japan for vacation in two weeks and trying to increase my study time whenever I find the time.

Currently I can only reliably count objects using the generic つ. Would that be enough to make myself understood, even if it makes me seem like a moron? I'd rather focus on learning other things in those two weeks, than learning the various forms of counting objects.

read tae kim
>two weeks
yoiu're fucked
have fun

Don't worry, I know I can't magically learn a ton in two weeks, it's more about how I use my studying time. Learning the 10 different ways of counting objects seems kinda low priority.

what a shame, they're like the best possible learning resource and give you literally everything

I'll just have to keep my eyes out for raws.

It might help people answer you question if you let them know what level you're currently at, what you're currently doing to study, and how long you've been studying.

I finished jtmw and I've started reading and listening to mine useful vocab in addition to core 2k, and to help the grammar sink in.

One line in this song is really confusing for me, though, and I was wondering if anybody here could help me figure out how exactly に is being used here.
youtube.com/watch?v=i6fwe3EFTRQ&feature=youtu.be&t=16s
夏休みが来ずに中退

I've been thinking about it quite a bit and I still don't get it. I know I should probably just move on and come back to it later but it's really bugging me.

>>doesn't say djt anywhere on it
Who the fuck cares you god damn autist? It's easy as fuck to find the thread.

I feel a bit bad after eating two burgers (one fishmac actually) from McD. I'm guessing this is the fast food hangover or whatever people call it. I've got some pretty bad fog now not letting me focus on stuff.

Anything I can drink or eat to get rid off this fast

Can someone explain to me what the passive form is used for?
I see it all the time but I don't quite understand it.

に is technically an adverbial particle most of the time

ず is an archaic negative verbal conjugation

ずに makes an adverbial negative phrase

English grammar lesson on what adverbial really means: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverbial_clause

it's different from other "X_Y" "Y, and not X" in that it doesn't imply that the lack of X is a reason for Y. it's contrasting the two instead. for example, "起きなくて遅いんだ" implies that the two parts are somehow connected, but ずに is providing contrast/concession instead. there's a common pattern in languages where archaic-seeming adverbial conjunctions are less literal than modern-seeming ones.

"I left school, be it not summer" "I left school, but it wasn't summer" "I left school, though it wasn't because of summer coming" "Even though it wasn't vacation I had to leave school" the most appropriate interpretation depends on context.

You know how sometimes people want to say something about an event, but it was an event where thing A did something to thing B, but you don't know how to refer to thing A?

Such a sentence would be hard to write. As it were, using the passive noun (the non-active one) as the subject would be required. Then the passive verbal form is used.

>going to japan in 2 weeks
>only just now learning how to count
Might aswell not bother since you won't understand anything they say back to you

私は殺した。
I killed.
私は殺された.
I was killed.

Ah, I see now.
Thanks

Oh, thanks for the explanation! I had no idea ず even had any effect on anything, I thought 来ず was just another way of saying 来ない. None of the dictionaries I checked really pointed that out and I don't think it was in jtmw either. 

I think I'm starting to get it, though. I'm gonna save your post to a notepad reminder for the future. Thanks again!

>私は殺した。
>は

ず is basically ない but it has the semantics of a verbal ending instead of an adjectival ending

plus it's archaic so it shows up a lot in fixed phrases that have slightly non-literal meanings (like ずに)

>私が殺された.
There, happy now?

>waaaaaah, your opinion differs from mine, therefore you're an autist
Okay, gayboy.

Is rikaikun still working for you guys?

Rikaichan works for me.

Is there a guide/dictionary which contains grammar such as that? I've only read jtmw, I dunno if that was in Genki or Tae Kim. I have to say the resources (on the getting started page) section in the googledoc is looking quite a bit lighter than when I first looked at it a few months ago.

Can some one help me with this? i'm not entirely sure what it's asking.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think no 1 reads something along the lines of
"where is the restaurant in your japanese town"
And I think the answer would be
レストランはデパートのとなりです

imgur.com/6PtYjKc

What is he saying, /djt/?

かんぱい!

"Is there a japanese restaurant in your town?"

>went to a Japanese restaurant
>forgot how to say goodbye
>just said otsukare

Does that work? I hope they didnt think Im a weirdo.

50 times in your motherfucking notebook

YOU BITCH

Do you live in nipland?
If you don't, they already think you're a weirdo.

You should have said good bye like the EOP you are.

I dont, just wondering if its technically correct. I also thanked then and said the food was great. Also said itadakimasu before eating.

>also said itadakimasu before eating

I think that's the sort of thing you would usually say at the end of a long day's work considering it's literally just 疲れ (tiredness) with the polite お prefix attached. I think the intended meaning is something to the effect of "I acknowledge that you've worked hard today (and I appreciate it)".

But guys come on it was my first time. I just had to do it. I bet you would too.

Speak for yourself friend.

I never did because the people that work in Japanese restaurants in my area are all sorts of Asian except Japanese so they wouldn't understand anyway.

Did the people/owners/waiters/whoever you spoke to even speak Japanese at least?

You didn't think that would come off as odd or like you're showing off?

I have a friend that would probably do this and I would laugh at him too, so you're not alone

Literally all Japanese, they barely spoke German, where the restaurant is. They answered in Japanese too and smiled but I didnt understand everything. Probably just being polite but it was still fun. Cant believe you guys wouldnt do the same on your first time.

This compound sentences section on tae kim is fucking with my brain. How can I practice this to get it down?

>Cant believe you guys wouldnt do the same on your first time.
It depends on whether they were/knew Japanese and whether I'd know it. I may or may not have done the same. Don't misunderstand, most of us are just as autistic. It's just that right now it's time to laugh at you.

Ahh, thank you

I wish I was tour friend so I can take you to mcdonalds, pull out a naruto headband out of nowhere and scream ITADAKIMASU in a shitty accent in front of everyone.

Don't try to translate it to English, just try to understand the meaning. It doesn't matter if the example sentences in TK aren't enough to make it click for you, you'll see all off them very frequently once you start reading.

>eat dak eemas!

When I was 16 I took this fat girl from the anime club to a date (I was desperate) to a Japanese restaurant. I memorized how to order food in Japanese and so on. When we arrived and the waitress came, I recited the order from memory. She just looked at me like an alien. So I repeated it twice more with no more success.

In the end it was a Chinese restaurant. I had to change school because the bitch told everyone.

My sides.

Is this some old pasta? Changing schools because some fat nerd was being stupid. Yeah right. At least you didnt shit yourself at school.

I'd enjoy it. It would be hilarious. It's not that I really give a shit about social opinion on me or whatever, besides following some basic politeness principles to avoid headaches. Plus, I'd get to laugh at you with the rest of the people. My only real complain would be going to McDonalds. You can do better than that.

It's going to be tough to try to apply the entirety of Tae Kim when I start reading after I finish it.

Bro I will use honorifics and call everything kawaii and sugoi in that retarded american accent. I will scream "ehh nani" like a jackass at everything.

I'd be disappointed if you didn't. If we're gonna look like complete retards in McDonalds of all places, might as well not half-ass it.

Brojob! Brojob! Brojob!

You'll have to reference it once you start reading either way, doesn't matter how carefully you go through it your first time. Just don't get hung up on the stuff you don't understand right away and just look up an explanation once you find it in an actual book.

I hope you kabedon your bro when he forgets to bring ketchup.

Hey guys, I am translating a manga. Please help me with the following translation:

>お疲れ様でした

I am translating this as "It was a polite, honorable tiredness"! What do uou think??

Just "was honorable, polite!" will do.

This bait is so bad it wrapped back around the spectrum and made me bite

A (You) well deserved

re:gatto

>play easy nukige
>sentences don't make sense even with a text hooker
>halfway through taekim
I really hope the second half of TK is where all the true knowledge lies, or I'll become a helpless dekinai

Tyler Kim only goes through basic grammar

How would you say "My mother recently got raped." in a more casual way? I'm still a beginner but I'm trying to communicate with natives.

母を犯したぜ

Why would you tell a native you just met that your mother was raped as a topic starter?

Do you know who did it?

Thank you. I don't even have to add 僕の to 母?
It's not a topic starter.
Yeah, but I'm too much of a beginner to write about that in Japanese.

Why would you write about it at all? And I hope you didn't follow that advice because you just told whoever you're talking to that you raped your mother.

TK helps surprisingly little when dealing with colloquial shit in the end, even though he goes through all the effort to teach casual phrases. Though you probably shouldn't be trying to read anything if you haven't even gotten all the way through something as simple as tae kim, you're bound to run into tons of shit you don't know
You pretty much just need to expose yourself to a lot of simple grammar through cartoons, and get good at using google to look up confusing expressions if you want to learn japanese

今週は夏が来た
夏バカも

I'm one of the people who always argued in favor of being able to change the OP image, and I still say we shouldn't just allow fucking _anything_

It should at least have the text:
>DJT
>Read the guide before asking questions
on it somewhere. It actually _is_ useful by the way since most people will at least read text in the OP and will be reminded to read the guide.

If someone can't take the time to add that simple text to an image then they shouldn't be changing it.
Just because we're all ok with changing the image now doesn't mean it always has to be different. You can still just use the old ones if you want, rather than just posting some random image.

>Why would you write about it at all?
I want to practice more casual and honest conversations because that's what I usually have trouble with when learning a new language.
>you just told whoever you're talking to that you raped your mother.
Good thing that's what happened.

It's just an image. If the text is already in the OP adding it to the image is redundant. No one reads the guide anyway.

Having "DJT" on it should be the minimum requirement, to be honest. I'd even consider the second line voluntary.

I disagree, that's information we're talking about now, not "just an image".

Even people who ignore OP text in general threads when they just want to ask a quick question, are more likely to at least see the text if it's in an image.

this, what the hell

particle dictionaries and sentence pattern books are good

きょわたしわべんきょますそれからエロヴォイスにちんぽをしっこ

If you're looking to improve listening level try watch this entire series:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL10Gth9S1y6UsjC7frDds4xH3-mWbfTPR