Why doesn't Sup Forums like computer animation? its getting better and better

why doesn't Sup Forums like computer animation? its getting better and better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5py_n30to&feature=youtube_gdata_player
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why can't Japan into cel shading?

Advent Children looked fine, France makes flash and CG cartoons and they look fine, but Knights of Sidonia just looked awful

Even MMDs look better

Because good 2D animation will always look better and more impressive. It also has a higher level of difficulty which makes me appreciate it even more.

Because its killed my true love, 2D animation.

Also most of it still looks like utter garbage.

Both Sidonia and Ajin are actually pretty good

I love its potential, if that means anything.

It still looks like shit in motion.

Best CG I've seen lately was Etotama, but they were chibis so it's kind of an easy route to please with.

Even if CG anime was on Etotama level I still wouldn't watch it over hand-drawn; something about the fluidity and the presence of 3D backgrounds looks off-putting; it will always look like a video game because 2D backgrounds are a very different atmosphere.

I think it's a nice way to animate a lot of non-mainstream manga series due to being a cheap way of producing a series

No, it is not getting better. Some caveats, though.
- It's fine for mecha, military vehicles, etc.
- Useful if it helps get a series greenlit that otherwise would not due to budget concerns.
- The story, acting, music, etc. can make up for it and help you forget at least partly.

A good example is Arpeggio of Blue Steel. The CG isn't great but I can forget about it most of the time. And it's better than not having one at all, which I suspect (but can't prove) was the case here.

ALL CG IS FUCKING TRASH

>It also has a higher level of difficulty

Only when hand drawn, which is hardly ever is. Modern anime is mostly computerized as it is, but it looks better than 3D because amateur 3D has problems with lighting, perspective, and uncanny valley

>it's not getting better

what

do i really have to compare cg from 10 years ago to now? if anything traditional animation has gotten lazier by trying to cut corners and save a nickel

Why don't you start by posting an example of your claim.

>if anything traditional animation has gotten lazier by trying to cut corners and save a nickel

Usualy by using CG, which is glaringly obvious.

As far as full CG shows, they've yet to progress beyond Appleseed-tier.

>Only when hand drawn, which is hardly ever is.
It's still hand-drawn. The only difference now is that more animators are starting to draw digitally.

Ikr... Blassreiter had some awful cg

Watching Ajin's CGI gave me a serious headache, it looked all choppy. But the stills when people were talking it looks alright, the black ghosts also looked alright in CGI and in the break thingies.

>they've yet to progress beyond Appleseed-tier.
Most CG anime are trying to mimic the aesthetics of 2D animation rather than pushing for detail and photorealism.

How is Arpeggio of Blue Steel? Is it worth watching solely for military battles?

You leave her alone user. I'll give you that Ajin didn't have that great animation, but she still looks nice.

>its getting better and better.
Not for character animation.

Shitty framerate leads to choppy as fuck animation. If you can't animate something at 60+FPS don't even fucking bother.

I don't know, Ajin looks better than Platonic Chain to me.

>its getting better and better
Sure. And if it gets a bit better, I will like it. But until then, I don't like it.

Most anime is still hand drawn. Cleanup, coloring and most backgrounds are done digitally now.

And how can amateur 3D have problems with perspective? Virtual cameras are already given to them in 3D applications, there's no way to fuck up perspective unless they deliberately do it.

It's great, but a lot of people did get put off by the CG. Give it the usual three episodes.

Note that if you've caught up with the manga (recommended), the anime completely and utterly diverges from it very quickly.

Hardly an accomplishment.

I didn't say it was.

>do i really have to compare cg from 10 years ago to now?
If you want. Improvement is nice, but it still isn't very good.

I will say Ajin looks better than Expelled from Paradise.

I just wanted a show with interesting battles that I can watch mindlessly, think it'll be perfect? I don't really mind if it's CG as long as it still looks fine.

im talking about shit like this

if theyre gonna half ass it theyre gonna half ass everything

I wouldn't mind if nips actually knew what the fuck they were doing.

Yeah it's getting better but the animators can't use the fucking tools right. Better stick to that traditional 15 years old wacom folded over 1000 times.

The tragedy of Sidonia is that it barely would have cost anything to fix their choppy as FUCK framerate, and that alone would have taken the show from 'just barely tolerable' to 'proof that CG is mankind's future'.

Ajin meanwhile, didn't really leverage its CG that well. Also a little bit choppy but I would kill for its framerate with Sidonia.

>le its getting better meme
No. If you want to see how it actually is getting worse, just watch a few minutes of Ajin. Ten years ago we got bad CG. Ajin not only continues looking bad, but also induces nausea with even an even lower fps and terrible shading.

>draw digitally
That's acceptable, I think. Particularly if it streamlines the process.

Plenty of action, you won't be disappointed in that regard. Start downloading those first three episodes.

This. People is thinking the goal of anime and manga are as same as western comic ones.

Photorealism is the ultimate goal of all western contents.

Haven't you guys seen MSG: The Origin? 3rd episode/movie came out today.

Arguably some of the best looking CGI in an anime to date

It would help if they could at least increase the framerate or something.

Most cgi I've seen in anime looks really jittery in motion. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's a consequence of a rushed production, there's too many shows being made these days and not enough animators.

sidonia: mecha was good, humans were not good
ajin: both ""worst"""

The thing with the frame-rates is either theyre trying to mimic 2d animation, or render farms are expensive as fuck to rent in nippon land or just dont exist at all.

Dude renderfarms are expensive lmao

The problem is that a number of anime CG studios believe that limiting the frame rate makes it look more like traditional animation as the latter does use less drawings per second than the full 24 FPS commonly found in western productions.

Guess I'll go check it out then, thanks man.

By the way that Webm is Yozakura Quartet, right? I just started the manga.

They still drew all the characters traditionally though, didn't they?
I can accept mecha being 3DCG, but 99% of character animation done with 3DCG looks plain shit.

I do agree that Sidonia's framerate is sloppy as fuck, Im guessing it was due to it being some experimental shit on Netflix's part. Ajin, however, is good enough for me, far from perfect though

This has been explained so many times you must be an idiot not to get it. It's a choice, not an expense thing. They render more frames and then cut it down because they find the CGI being high-framerate jarring compared to 2D. Shit on the choice all you want, but get it straight.

Yes. Brilliant animation in that one, add it to your backlog. Also not as good as the manga (as you might expect), but a treat in its own right.

Netflix had nothing to do with Sidionia's production, they just bought the streaming rights.

Because that lack of framerate makes it looks more like anime.

Cool, thanks man. You've been a great help.

This how good 3D animation should look like, not that piece if shit. youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5py_n30to&feature=youtube_gdata_player

if there werent enough animators they wouldnt getting paid in peanuts

He's sort of right in this particular case, since Bones was doing three shows that season and clearly hadn't accounted well for how much manpower that would take. Generally, though, I agree - I don't think there's any big shortage of animators relative to what's being made, and I've never seen data that would suggest that.

Her manga version looks so fucking bad now.

mfw

The thing I don't get with this (and I have heard this before), is that any animation that achieves mainstream high art status inflates its FPS significantly compared to 'tradiational animation' anyway. Animes basically operate at the highest frame rate they can manage. Which is often not very high, but seriously there's hardly an industry standard that these CGshows should be gunning for.

Arpeggio was fine on this for instance. Meanwhile RWBY is choppy as fuck, which unlike the others may actually have something to do with its method of distribution and limited hardware for rendering but fuck I dunno.

TL;DR how the fuck did they make Sidonia TWICE and both times not realise it looked like a streaming quicktime video from the early 2000s

Sidonia's framerate makes it into unwatchable horseshit

Because it looks and feels like shit and it isn't getting better.

For the record.

Just finished watching it. For containing far more action scenes and consequently a lot more CGI than the first two it looked leagues better.

What few combat scenes the first episode showed looked like absolute shit, surprising to see such a stark contrast.

>Decide to give this a shot since everyone keeps saying it has amazing animation
>It's mostly stills and when there's sakuga the 4 layer shading disappears for simplicity sake
>I guess the stills and close up shots are still pretty good.

Lewd

Because the selling point of anime is the visual strikeness. The eye candy. The style and energy.

Visual attractiveness is very hard to do without stylization which is almost impossible to do in 3D because it is superstreamlined. You cannot stray from the road without having to spend a lot on developing your own tools. So everything 3D looks the same.

The plots are laughable by western standards and so is the acting. Merely doing it 3D just to pump out stories benefits no one.

Well thanks user, I assume I'll be able to decipher that picture when I actually start trying to find episodes.

Inanimate objects are immensely easier than actual people. That's where the uncanny valley is relevant.

Her skin still looks like plastic or wax. If that's intentional, fine. But as long as people look as clumsy as they do now, CG is still going to be insufficient.

It also needs updating. You should get the pattern, though.

Really, just avoid the older series and you'll get it sorted.

Yeah, I'll work it out myself.

Thanks again.

There's just two kind of good CGI on anime, Mecha shit(because looking less alive actually fit the robots) and Etotama(because it's the greatest anime of all time).

>That one catgirl at the end.
Definitely going to check this out now.

post fucking disregarded, christ kill your fucking self.

that looks fuckin amazing

Etotama only looked good cause it was clear the people doing the cg were talented and that it was fucking expensive as fuck. It also was used to work with the 2d instead of trying to replace it or be a budget cut. They also loved to beg people to buy their BDs.

I think you're quite the comedian, OP.

CG is the future whether Sup Forums likes it or not. It'll just get to the point where it's nearly indistinguishable from regular animation. The cost and time difference to produce is way too big to ignore.

next ova/movie when?

There aren't enough animators because it pays peanuts.

It's not anime.

Plus, Ajin looks like shit compared to an anime from 2009.

That's not how supply and demand works.

>It'll just get to the point where it's nearly indistinguishable from regular animation
No.

You deserve a smug for this webm

Never
Much like the doujins

It is when there's no influx of money in the industry and no unions.

Japan doesn't have unions period.

Keep being delusional, user. It will never be the future and it will never be indistinguishable from hand-drawn animation. CG always will have that lifeless feel to it and while it is cheap to do, it is only cheap to shit out a pile of shit. CG that has any quality to it still requires just as much money, time and talent and it still doesn't feel as nice as traditional animation. The cost to produce it can't be ignored only if you are looking to shit out hundreds of products a season that is just QUALITY.

Also, I would add that there is a surplus of anime, which is why the production cost isn't going up.

The future is actually anime written, drawn, directed and produced by AI.

Hope this helps.

like QUALITY isnt alive and well with regular animation

That's not what he's saying.

Shitty framerate (usually for blending with traditional 2D art), and it still looks unnatural and shitty for the most part.

No, but they do have labor laws, that the disorganized nature of the animation industry allows it to circumvent. Errybody "freelance"

Sure there's a shit ton of companies with awful working conditions, but those companies almost always have a salary, as opposed to a per frame/cut pay system. That's a big factor.

Are you seriously trying to compare failed schedules to intentionally shitting out garbage?

I thought most shows barely break even. Why is there such a surplus?

The computerized nature of CG means it has nearly limitless potential. Traditional animation will always be limited because it's made by humans. The cost will keep getting lower and lower and it will keep getting better and better while regular animation stays the same.

Etotama was great because the textures look fucking fantastic and the animation is very exaggerated and quick instead of limp and lifeless like so many other CGI out there

Because most shows actually turn a profit eventually. What, you believed those sales threads?

The fcuk are you talking about, CG animation is also made by humans. They face the same limitations as anything human directed faces.
Computers don't just shit out fully rendered models when you press a button you know.

This is literally why I couldn't watch Aijin or God Eater. It just looks so bad. Uncanny valley is one thing but sometimes it just looks like they're trying to stretch a shoestring budget until it snaps.

Regular animation has worked since anime was created. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Because shrek was las good 3d anime