Is she truly sentient?

Is she truly sentient?

Other urls found in this thread:

computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer2.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
dwavesys.com/d-wave-two-system
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i dunno shes powered by a twist spring. are her insides more complex.

Define sentience

>sentience
Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience).

>the ability to think (reason)
Also referred to as sapience.

So, since she is capable of perceiving and responding to external stimulus, she is obviously sentient.

Sapience is a much harder question since the foremost authorities in the field keep changing the criteria as we determine animals to meet the previous requirements, in order to avoid awkward questions about whether crows have rights.

Practical answer: sapience is exclusive to humans, everything else is just faking.

She uses very complex algorithms but no, she isn't. They explain it in the manga.

>Also referred to as sapience.
Except it's not the same thing exactly. Sapience is more related to intelligence and wisdom, Nano can easily be called sapient as she was programmed well enough to act like a person, but sentient means they act and think for themselves (subjectively), we don't know from the anime if she sentient.

>nano is a machine

Unless biological, she can't experience sapience.

Is it incorrect to call machines 'smart?' We're approaching a wonderful new era where Nanos will be walking around like it's nobody's business, taking all the good jobs and whatnot because of how good their programming is. Will it still be wrong to call them smart then? Speaking out of my ass here because I don't really know what sapience means.

Toasting in an epic bread, OP you're a fag.

You've misunderstood. Sentence is defined as the ability to feel, but the word is used in the context of physical sensation, not emotion. Sense as in the five senses, not sense as in common sense.

The human mind is just a computer anyways.

>sentence

Just stop.

but is nano as complex and intricate as we are.

Go complain to whoever coded this autocorrect. Why they decided it should override technical terms with more common words is beyond me.

Eat my chrum

I GOT SOME FOR YOUR

I love this fatheaded ho.

Doubtful. Computers are an order of magnitude slower and less efficient than biological structures because they can only test between two states (current/no current) at the lowest level, while the brain has both electrical impulse and hundreds of different chemicals to exchange at every synapse at the same fundamental level. Machine code is stuck in binary or - maybe- trinary at best, the brain is coded in base ~1,000.

The only reason computers appear faster is because they can be hyperfocused on single tasks, which in a human context is called an autistic savant.

are we really sentient?

Try proofreading, you nimcompoop-ass nigga. lol

what about quantum computers.

Regardless of what we can currently do, there's still no denying that an advanced enough computer can theoretically become just as "alive" as a human mind.

good thread

Ask that again in 1000 years, if humanity lives that long

quantum computers are already a thing. i think thats how google image search works if im not mistaken.

have you played the talos principle.

i wonder if i am sentient

page or it didn't happen

>if im not mistaken
Did you have any idea what you were saying in the first place? Because you couldn't be more wrong.

IIRC they only increase the number of possible states from 2 to 6, but due to the difficulty in measuring two of those states, it's more like 4~ish. Better methods of applying quantum theory to computer science will need to be found before there's really significant potential there.

fuck you. quantum computers are already around. google it

>google it
Literally why don't you faggot before telling someone else to.
>Quantum computers could one day replace silicon chips, just like the transistor once replaced the vacuum tube. But for now, the technology required to develop such a quantum computer is beyond our reach. Most research in quantum computing is still very theoretical.
-computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer2.htm
>As of 2016, the development of actual quantum computers is still in its infancy, but experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of quantum bits
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
>oh fuck but you user I am right either way
Is exactly what you're going to say anyways (again) so why don't you go ahead and kill yourself if you can't participate in a discussion without being fully retarded.

cuck

Stop reading popsci articles.

Use this next time.

>believes philosophy is relevant to science
But it is.

dwavesys.com/d-wave-two-system

>I don't know the difference between Narrow, General and Strong AI

>Cooled to 180x colder than interstellar space (0.015 Kelvin)
>A lattice of 1000 tiny superconducting circuits, known as qubits, is chilled close to absolute zero to get quantum effects
What am I reading?

>is a transhumanist
>watches/reads sci-fi movies/books

a man can dream can he?

Keep on dreaming then.

Are you?

Technology is advancing in leaps, we have learned more in the last 100 years than all of human history. I have graphs YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

Take your graphs to /sci/ then report back with your findings.

post those graphs