Is Computer Science a good degree? What are my chances of finding a job in the US when I graduate in 2021...

Is Computer Science a good degree? What are my chances of finding a job in the US when I graduate in 2021? I've been watching youtube videos about how people with STEM degrees are stuck cleaning garbage cans for a living and it's freaking me out.

It's true. You shouldn't pursue a STEM vocation in the United States. Sorry, try your luck elsewhere.

1. While doing a CS degree , prop up your CV and start practising questions for Big 4 interviews (Amazon, Google, FB, MS)
2. When finishing, do a 1 year internship at any of the above
3. Grats, you'll never have to do a normal job interview ever again.

If you can think logically then yes.

>Get the degree
>move to Seattle
>ask the first person you see if they will give you a job in CS
Congratulations, you are making 75k

Computer Science is a good degree but you NEED practical work examples and NEED internships. You should seek your first internship for the summer after your freshman year. If you can't land that you absolutely need an internship between the end of sophomore year and before Junior year.

Study an area in demand and then get it.

In the end I ended up at SAP where I'm making great money.

Honestly most big firms are hiring SJW types from MIT and Harvard. The best thing to do when applying is dye your hair rainbow and get a face piercing. Sounds weird, but that's the reality.

Computer programming is one of the most useful skills a young person can pick up. I'm not saying it will land you your dream job, but you'll able to get by in the world much easier if you understand how computers work.

>be me
>never got degree
>learned to code
>senior dev
>earning 6 figures

Why get a degree?

Good luck finding a job if you're not a Pajeet or a woman/minority.

CS hasn't been a viable degree in 10 years due to domestic and foreign over-saturation

Just remember that college degrees are somewhat useless now and you need to pad your resume with accomplishments that actually set you apart from others. Just listen to how that Damore guy got hired. He performed well at some hackathon comp and got head hunted.

You can clean garbage cans with any degree, CS is just the least likely.
Only advice I can give is if your college/uni offers co-op/work terms/internships, TAKE THEM!
Doing it through school makes landing them so much easier, and when you're on your own, you have experience. Nobody wants a fresh grad who has never worked in the industry before and can only show them school assignments they completed.

>Is Computer Science a good degree?
not without electrical engineering and a chimney sweep degree. then you can get a job at a museum and rant about how things used to be

Not a big fan myself. Was considering getting into it, but then I took a Python course and realized how mind numbing the field is. Decided to go into medicine instead, specifically respiratory care. Really worth it. Seen some crazy shit at clinicals like a baby born dead and brought back by CPR (albeit heavily brain damaged). I plan to go back to school for cardiac perfusion in about 5 years. Perfusionists run the ECMO and heart/lung bypass machines. It's so badass.

Far to many STEM grads not enough jobs.

>However, just like in ANY other major, even musicology. If you are intelligent you will naturally rise to the top.

So, to recap, if you are actually smart you will not have a problem finding employment in anything you choose. If you are an autist, you can graduate with a degree in aeronautical engineering and still work at Mcdonalds.

Yea but now you're stuck doing SAP

Is this what your grandfather fought the nazis for?

I am a CS student and I respect you a lot, not joking

I make more than $100K/yr to fix shit that I'm really good at and I'm a natural problem solver, so I'm satisfied.

The newer SAP shit is more user friendly (pic) but not any easier to deal with from the technical end.

>people with STEM degrees are stuck cleaning garbage cans for a living

Do you know why?

They can't code.

Go to a CC and learn programming while working on porjects that onterest you, then go to college and major in whatever is most relevant to you.

CS is very saturated nowadays, and it's just going to get continually more and more competitive forever and wages are being driven down.

have you been involved in computer clubs and local computer organizations since you were in middle school?

if not you're just the same as everybody else.

Bachelors in CS here. Got an internship during college, stayed with the company, they promoted me to a software engineer at 70k as soon as I graduated.

However, the one thing about Software is that it's hard to move sideways in the industry. If you're a Java dev, it's easy to find another Java job. But it is pretty hard to go from Java to Python, or from Python to .NET, etc. if you don't have a proven track record, even though there's no big difference between the skillsets.

Engineers suffer at the hands of HR professionals who don't have technical knowledge when screening applicants.

ALSO your pedigree really matters in this field, independent/side projects are HUGE, and interviews can be brutal.

Altogether it is a comfy field.

Only get it if you have drive. Most low-level jobs are taken by Pajeets

>actually smart
AKA good at networking

If you do go CS, focus on networking and internships nonstop. Get C- grades in all your classes because you're networking so much. You are going for a job, after all.

- buy bitcoins for $100 worth
- wait 5 years
- sell your bitcoins
you're welcome

Only if you're indian or chinese and on temporary stay with a full ride diversity scholarship for your doctorate. Fuck universities here. They all need nuked and we need to reinstate mandatory military service for all US natural born citizens.

Seriously, they outsource CS jobs more than anything else currently, they even pay to fly other poojeets over here instead of investing in natural citizens first. Fuck the alumni, fuck the schoolboards, fuck the districts and fuck communists.

also this, in order to succeed in this field, more than anything you have to make connections. Don't worry about grades or performance.

FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, DON'T DO IT.

COMPUTER SCIENCE = SUICIDE-TIER JOB

YOUR ENTIRE LIFE IS NOT KNOWING HOW TO FIX A BUG, AND HAVING TO FIGURE IT OUT UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE FOR NO THANKS AND SHITTY PAY.

>STRESS CONSTANTLY
>GET NOTHING BUT AVERAGE PAY AND NO GF

Right, and that's after finishing a STEM PhD at Harvard I think. He didn't automatically get a great job from that, he had to go into a coding competition.

Jesus fucking Christ that's some shitty looking JavaScript. I bet a pajeet was involved.

I was unemployed and grinding MMOs for 6 years with a science degree before I taught myself serious Python and realized the power of networking firsthand.