Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1551

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

gnxp.com/blog/2006/02/world-of-difference-richard-lynn-maps.php
zokugo-dict.com/16ta/taiban.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anthy is abandonware. Use Ibus with Mozc.

I'm nine months into my studies, and I still haven't bothered to learn any kana. My plan is to OCR any text with my smartphone and turn it into Romaji. So far, I've gotten farther than all of my peers who are wasting time memorizing squiggly symbols.

Why is everyone here doing things the hard way in 2016? It seems like a waste of time.

Are you a bad enough dude to read the first page of Spice & Wolf?

Good picture

闇に飲まれよ!

Nobody here is actually memorizing squiggly symbols, we just act like we are so newfags think it's the right way

Oh, also, you'll want to edit the keymap since the default keymap assumes you're using a Japanese keyboard which has special keys for switching between character types and such. Look through the keymap for "Hiragana" and "Katakana" and rebind all the "Hiragana" and "Katakana" keys to a new key combination of your choosing (I use CTRL+1 for Hiragana and CTRL+2 for Katakana). There are other special keys which you can rebind if you want, but I couldn't be bothered so I didn't.

To switch between Mozc and your native keyboard, just press SUPER+SPACE.

おはようおにいちゃん

DJTってなに?

>DJTってなに?
Dilluted Japanese Tea

動的冗談鉄道

D〇CK J〇RKING TRAINING

If you're not paying for something, you (or your personal data) is the product that's being sold. The west also has "free" services.

>it's been a year since I started learning Japanese
Well damn, time really flies when you have an actual goal to work forward to instead of masturbating and contemplating suicide all day every day.
Didn't even think I'll get that far back then, but thanks to helpful advice from my DJT senpais I stuck with it and progressed a lot, read a bunch of cool shit and had fun learning for a whole year.

What methods did you use, 先輩?

As opposed to free government?

How are you guys getting correct 80+%? I usually have 75-80% until I add in the new cards for the day, but then those weigh me down to around 60-75% correct, occasionally even 50% if I have had a difficult day.

They have a better memory than you do

Tae kim in the first month, after that nothing but anki and reading.
In anki I have a vocab deck with core6k + mined words and a DoJG deck.

>The west also has "free" services.
Name one which asks for all that sort of personal information for an Internet connection.

According to statistics, the rate of your correct answers in anki is closely related to your IQ with a baseline 80% good at 100 IQ, increasing by 1% for every 3 points of IQ above 100. Anything below 80% means you're probably too dumb to learn Japanese.

Not necessarily internet.
How much of their personal information does an average person give to Facebook again?

>According to statistics
Nice meme. I have a tested IQ of 110.

someone recommended fcitx/mozc over in /fglt/, and it's working even if it isn't too easy to use yet.

I just need to know how to make kanji now.

Slightly above Earth's average which includes African tribesmen, good job user.
Most people in first world countries have 130-140+

oh yeah well I'm a certified genius

Did you do extra credit? My tester said 99 was an almost perfect score.

>Not necessarily internet.
The specific context is for Internet, nothing else.
>How much of their personal information does an average person give to Facebook again?
You aren't forced to give that away in order to create an account, ergo it is an irrelevant point of contention if if Facebook was remotely relevant in this context. Signing up for Facebook isn't a legally binding contract.

CRAM
R
A
M

If you click on your deck and select "custom study", there's an option to review the cards you've failed that day. Do that a few hours before you go to bed.

dude nice
true

So you didn't do any kanji study (RTK, etc.) at all?

I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for not shitposting.

>Slightly above Earth's average which includes African tribesmen, good job user.
African average is borderline retarded. Average in Western countries is ~100.

No user, average of humanity is 100.

Well, I read a wikipedia page on radicals once and look up new kanji in a dictionary as I encounter them, if that counts.

Isn't it the average of people to take the test? I really doubt African tribesman are standing around taking IQ tests. In any case, IQ isn't meant to be correlated with education so even if user was equivalent to an African tribesman that wouldn't mean much.

It has nothing to do with education, blacks naturally have 20-30 points less IQ.

It's time to go back to Sup Forums, friend.

>Slightly above Earth's average which includes African tribesmen, good job user.
For anyone who cares about actual real world data based on actual studies:
gnxp.com/blog/2006/02/world-of-difference-richard-lynn-maps.php
Aggregate IQ averages:

East Asian: 105
European: 99
-North America: 100
-NC & Eastern Europe: 99
-Spain & Portugal: 97
-South East Europe: 92
Arctic: 91
Southeast Asian: 87
Pacific Islander:
-Maori: 90
-Non-Maori: 85
Amerindian: 86
West/South Asian: 84
-Near East: 89
-India: 82
Sub-Saharan African:
-African: 67
-Non-Western: 71
-Western: 85
-Khoisan: 54
Australoid (Australian aboriginal): 62

World IQ average: 90

stop shitposting and start studying

>-African: 67
>IQ isn't meant to be correlated with education
So if it doesn't depend on education but it's a measure of innate abilities, then I'm sure there is a very magical reason for this.

Yeah, it's called genes

>Implying the IQ test is a perfect measure of cognitive ability

>muslims

Let's stay on topic, guys.
どうして害黒人が動物以下の精神薄弱な下等生物かな。

what vn?

99.1 isn't that bad of an average.

Well yeah, IQ is far more closely supported by evidence to be predetermined by genetics, education is really a matter of whether or not the right environment for those genes to activate/be taken advantage of. There have been some pretty interesting studies on putting different kids from different groups and raising them in various environments with different education and the results more or less conform to global averages. Some people are just naturally "smarter" than others just like how native Kenyans always seem to be the best long distance runners and how the NBA is mostly tall African Americans.

The problem is that you get people who treat evolution as something that only occurs from the neck down and refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary, be it due to political retardation, like Sup Forumstards or tumbrinas or for other issues such as a fear of so called "biological determinism". Anyway, that's all I will comment on this, my post was really too off topic as it was.

let's stop talking about IQ and start talking about glorious nippon language

I'm an adult male. How should I refer to myself in conversation?

大人の男

This. Please don't derail this thread. I appreciate that people feel strongly about this sort of thing, but this thread is not the place for such discussion.

The post that started this was one suggesting that the global average IQ is 100. That post has since been disproven. Let's leave it at that.

ぼくちん

don't be tricked into self-cucking
the correct answer is あたし

Pls stop making new DJT OP pictures, i can't handle change.

Either handle the change or handle my ちんぽ. Your choice.

DELETE THIS

>64 posts
>4 IPs

now that's just plain not true user

i enjoy lurking whats it too ya

I want to バスト・エー・ナット in Akari-chan's のど

汚い。

im handling my own ぽこちm right now personally

>

who /昭和/ here

ボクのズボンがうんこを食べちゃった

Just you and me

平成は本日より
ケロロ元年でありま~~すッ!

また、最近のライブ活動を見ても、いわゆる地下アイドルが対バンしてドルオタが集まるようなイベントには出てません。

what is 対バン

"also, lately even if looking at live events, so called underground idols are 対バン and wont appear at events where doru otaku (idol otaku i supppse) gather.

what is google

zokugo-dict.com/16ta/taiban.htm

Dumb chuuni.

My internet is fucked lads. It's been getting worse and worse for a while, but it's at the point now where I have to choose between downloading things and being able to browse the internet.

I might be changing ISP or something soon to try to get this shit sorted out. While I do that though, I will probably be without internet for 2-4 weeks.

What can I do to study during that time? Is there anything that I should download while I'm still able to?

try swapping routers, installing a central line splitter
or even get some fixed wireless if they offer good enough plans
by fixed i mean fucking contented properly, not an overloaded mobile tower

FUCK I forgot to do my reps.

Download everything you plan to read. Sync with Ankiweb before going offline just in case something happens. Download an offline dictionary if you don't have one. Download some old DJT threads from the archive so you can read through them and feel like you're still with us. Good luck.

>1Mbit/sec
Nigga that's about 4 times more than the speed I download obscure Japanese shit off baidu.
Just keep that torrent running during the night and you can download whatever you want.

I don't think it's worth forking out the money for a third-party router considering that even when my connection was at its best I was getting a sub-500kB/s download speed. I've heard that my ISP is hostile to third-party routers anyway so it might not even work if I get one.

As for a central line splitter, I think I already have one, assuming you're talking about an ADSL splitter.

The figure in that image is misleading. If I actually download at that speed, I cannot browse web pages at all (hence the "F" score for bufferbloat. Downloading at anything more than 0.4mb/s renders my connection unusable, and even at 0.4mb/s browsing is slow as fuck.

I can't write for shit, should I be worried about this

That depends. Do you want to write?

>Download an offline dictionary if you don't have one
Those exist?

IQより肥満率のほうが

仕事量に大きくかんけいするとおもうよ

デブはたらかない

Well the media I'm trying to consume only involve reading and listening, but I don't know if I will eventually need it in my career or some shit, and how hard it would be to "catch up" if I started the writing late into my study

Yeah. There's a couple listed in the resources section of the guide. Or you can download one of the epwing dictionaries in the CoR and use it with any epwing reader.

Not unless you want to actually move to Japan or teach the language or some shit.

Although writing out the Kanji can help you remember, that's what I do.

Thanks, that should be useful.

Does Rikaisama work offline? I figured I could just use that as a dictionary.

Am I just retarded or is it actually really hard to tell the difference between (っ)たって [ても] and (っ)たって [といっても] at a glance?

Learning to write kana/kanji is so helpful for reading anything that isn't typed. The real shape of most characters is different from how they appear on the screen.

It does, and you certainly can.

I use jwpce as a dictionary and kanji lookup tool. It's old as fuck but still works great.
I also use it to gather my mined words so I can import them into anki in one go with the mass importer feature.

Real talk here, has anyone in this thread ever tried out language exchange?

If so, did it help you learn Japanese faster or did it help you understand something in the language?

we need more house tools

One of those can only be stuck in a verb so it should be pretty obvious which one it is when you're reading something.

They're たとて and といったって (which puts the first たって to use as well) respectively.