Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1552

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

realkana.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wow, listening to namasensei's lessons really gets me in the mood to do my daily work, I'm so glad his videos are back.

You bitch.

なぜば大抵なんとかなる!

はやっ

Huh, that's good to know., I was actually debating whether to use 無 or not. only started learning a couple months ago so I'm still a dekinai.

If only he had thousands of videos covering material from all levels of the JLPT

It really is a shame that he stopped making Japanese lessons, they always made sense for some reason. He actually managed to make Japanese simple.

Why did he quit making videos?

I know that he got fired from his teaching job in Japan, not sure what happened after that though, seems like he's been through a lot of shit

>tfw realizing the japanese word for firework literally translates to flower fire

could you be any more reddit

What was reddit about that?

Using JLPT levels to guide your learning
Sorting material by JLPT level

Just wait till you see 火花

Well it's just convenient isn't it, I just used that to express that I wish he had videos that covered a wide range of shit about Japanese

If えい is supposed to be pronounced as a prolonged え why is the i audible sometimes, like in the word セイフク? Is it because it's written in katakana and was originally a foreign word? I'm pretty sure that I've heard the same from words that are written in hiragana or kanji and aren't foreign too.

Sorry I missed one

>Trying to learn from videos that aren't native material

Related question. Are there any two-kanji words that have the same meaning when you switch the order of the kanji? Or are used interchangeably, at least. I vaguely recall encountering one once early on in my studies, but it seems somewhat impossible in retrospect.

制服 is not foreign wtf

it's pretty much a gamble whether or not the い is distinct after an -e mora though, just listen to the word being spoken

I can think of plenty of trivial examples

>えい is supposed to be pronounced as a prolonged え
What?

誕生 and 生誕 are an example I have at the top of my head of that kind of thing.

作製 and 製作? Don't know if any more exist though.

easiest one
切腹
腹切

What's the story there?

anyone here read medaka box? Everyone said nisio writing being hard was just a meme, but I swear this is way more difficult to understand/has way more kanji I don't know than other shounen manga. For reference I just read through koe no katachi in a little under a week and felt pretty comfortable, needed to look up maybe a word per page on average.

Some kid's mom saw one of his vids.

The 切腹 腹切 that someone else posted is a good example, but most of the ones that are identical in meaning and pronunciation tend to be extremely obscure.

A hint to reading them, though: when the char implying action comes first, it's an on'yomi, last, a kun'yomi. The different SVO and SOV structures of Chinese and Japanese respectively are helpful here and quite useful for reading new and unknown compounds.

I haven't seen any of his stuff. Is it the kind of thing to give some mother the vapours?

>Start reading manga in Japanese.
>Like the manga a lot.
>Switch to English instead because it's faster
Every fucking time.

He drinks and swears, and it seems like that's enough to frighten Japanese people off.

Well, go watch one.

>been reading one piece in english
>find a place with raws
>decide to start reading raws instead
>read three chapters
>stop reading one piece for 4 months until I give up and read in english instead
It wasn't even hard to read, just fucking slow

Why even bother learning Japanese if you're fine with the English translated garbage

That'll wear off once you get more comfortable reading. It helps if you force yourself not to switch over.

Why's it gotta be so impossible to find japanese ISOs for my favorite PS2 games?

I just wanted to replay Dark Cloud 2 and the .hack games in japanese...

>watch Namasensei's te-form video
>no distinction between te and tte, (even though he pronounces it correctly)
>says that the te-form is the command form
Why is this allowed?

Try to find obscure things that you like but where the English tl falls behind.

I guess I should stop reading manga above my level now since I'm learning Japanese.

ビッグ ディックス イン マイ 尻

Yeah, pretty much.

I'm not actually sure about what they mean with the (En,Ja) ones, I know when you beat the game in the PAL version at least you could select japanese voice overs, but I can't remember if that was japanese text also, and I don't really feel like playing again in english just to play in japanese.

I didn't know Vol 3 and 4 were up, though. Only 1 showed up for me earlier.

They're still missing one. And no Dark Cloud. As well as a bunch of other PS2 games. Earlier systems seem to have plenty of japanese roms available. I've tried searching in japanese as well.

Emuparadise.me

You're welcome.

I only read it in English, but towards the end (sometime 100+ chapters in) there are a literal shitton of word plays. Like, switching kanji and breaking the fourth wall is the topic of an entire arc if not more iirc. I imagine that to get pretty difficult, although I regret not going through it in Japanese.

Well, shut my mouth, they don't have it...

Yeah, they're fantastic for earlier systems, but finding japanese roms of PS2 games that have english localizations can be a lot more difficult.

There is a Chinese site with almost all NTSC-J ISOs in existence.

What is it? I came across a few in search results but I don't know chinese so I couldn't tell! They also required registration and I didn't want to waste time signing up for a bunch of things that might just be fake/expired results

I did some quick Googling and it looks like there may be some legit links if you search for "dark cloud jpn iso". On an iPad right now, so I cannot confirm.

>so I couldn't tell!
Woah calm down

Ohh, thanks for the tip. I tried NTSC-J and J but totally forgot to try jpn.

!!!!!

>makes a post saying there's a site
>doesn't link it or indicate how you'd find it in any way

>English translated garbage
How accurate is this meme, anyway?

It's very true that every game that gets translated is garbage

>file not found
Shit. That's what happens when it's blogs with filehosters instead of dedicated rom sites that host their own uploads.

I got one:

毛羽 Fluff

and

羽毛 Down

It's part of the adventure dude :^)

I hope he just forgot and isn't messing with me.

Sorry, mate. I could probably buy it for about 200円 at the Geo down the street, but it would cost ten times that much to ship.

Ahhh, oh well. There's plenty of untranslated games to play anyway. I'm just surprised that they don't really seem to have any dedicated rom websites of their own.

Nothing there is hard
The things that might at first seem obscure (全国模試,偏差値) are things that are extremely relevant to japanese students

Ripping and uploading it would be a fairly simple alternative. Same as a dvd I think.

I have read the guide, but what is, in your opinion, the best way to learn hiragana's kana?

Where do all the cool kids hang out?

pick them out one by one w a spoon and say its sound out loud before you slurp it up slowly (mmm)

Hellotalk.

Sup Forums

Do Remember The Kana, and struggle through reading every kana you see. Even if you dekinai for a week or a month or two or what the fuck ever, just keep reading them kanas. The sfx in hentai manga, weabboo shitposts, etc. Also realkana after RTk.

>hiragana's kana
what

That place is full of dumb nigger sailors trying to be clever by hating on white people behind jap flags while stationed overseas.

Just wait till he hits those Chinese Kanji letters

The guide only gives me practice under the kana section, I'd like a way to memorize, learn, and fully understand it. Thank you.

I've been on HelloTalk for months now and I've never gotten significant practice with anyone there. Maybe once, but still the conversation was uninteresting as fuck.

I don't know what the fuck you're on about but realkana.com

This + writing.

Why the fuck do you think that someone who hasn't learned kana yet would know what 出来ない means?

Fucking faggots, you are the reason why these threads are always shit.

I hope that the mods start wanting to get rid of these threads again.

How did the dumb nigger sailors learn fluent japanese

They are too busy watching anime and reading VNs to be hanging out and only come here to shit on you for being bad at Japanese

Where should I go if I want to practice my Japanese on a 3DPD?

Japan

ore spelled it in eigo, troll. Keep talking kuso, and boku fucking korosu you cocogin. wakaru?

I mean online.
Fuck, I don't even have the time or money to go to Japan.

Go talk to random streamers on ニコ生

just look up stroke order.

but then how are we gonna laugh at the dekinais?

>naiS
やめろ

出来ないたち?

What is a good mature retention? Is 90% decent?

98,5% is decent, 99%+ is good, 100% is the ideal

ha pleb everyone knows if you don't have 99.95% you're literally retarded

Post your KG

Depends on you. Everything over 90% is good IMO. I got 93%

I just downloaded the kanji grid add-on, how do I generate a kanji-grid?

Top left, Tools, Addons, Kanji Grid, Sort by score

わ、わたし?!

/djt/, what is the best anime this season?

why are you posting here

Because I just started learning Japanese and need your advice

Literally every class you take for the first year/year and a half of Japanese will call te-form the "command" form.

It's an easier concept to grasp than "connective form with a shitload of additional grammar."

teiru might get covered in an elementary Japanese class, but actual te auxiliaries are left until intermediate level.

my advice is to get your JLPT 1 and get out of here

ironcastleのハバネロ