ITT old manga & manga authors discussion

Holy fucking shit I had no idea Leiji Matsumoto drew such great pin-up art.

These are really, really good. Far above all the other classic manga authors' attempts at pin-ups & sexy girl art that I've seen. Tezuka, Ishinomori, Nagai, Monkey Punch, he beat all of them.

there's so much good shit he did, jesus christ

arm proportions are kinda fucked but otherwise great

I like Leiji Matsumoto's art because his hair makes my dick rock hard.

>the samefagging in this thread

>samefagging
It's just OP dumping some images? Are you mentally challenged?

I'm imagedumping to make a point, that point being Leiji was really good at drawing super-stylized pin-ups

>Dumping images is samefagging

Yeah, his women are surprisingly attractive for that artistic style.

I don't think they make good fap material, if anything I'm surprised he actually kept his super-stylized aesthetic sense while drawing pin-up art.

Monkey Punch for example didn't and his pin-up art is really ugly.

It's not horrifyingly bad or anything but it's just not nice to look at, at all

Meanwhile the Fujiko drawings here are fine because they're drawn in his normal style

Ishinomori to me is a fucking mystery. Some of his girl drawings, mainly the shoujo ones, looked absolutely fantastic.

Some of his pin-ups were, while not great, fairly competent.

And then there is this. This manga, Wild Cat, came out in 1969; AFTER he did Ryujin Numa, a shoujo manga full of good girl drawings.

He also did a bunch of absolutely terrible pin-ups that echo the horribleness of this image.

Hello there, reddit.

Ishinomori was not a hack; he did tons of realism & life drawing before moving on to drawing cartoon art; some of the art he did before he even turned 18 is fantastic and blew Tezuka's mind. He clearly understood human anatomy.

So how does this abomination fucking exist.

Where are you getting all these images? Are they all from different art books?

Or this abomination.

Google.

I just google "[author name] girls"
Or this.

What the fuck IS this.

Here's a title page from Ryujin Numa, drawn two years BEFORE Wild Cat.

And it's not like this image was drawn entirely by an assistant; it was actually featured in his "beautiful girls" art books, along with the horrifying abominations.

These are not sexy... at all. Look more like a tree than a girl.

I like this one much better.

Ryujin Numa is full of good drawings of girls, in a wide variety of art styles.

I don't think they're good wank material, I think they're good art. Really skillfully stylized & fun.
Ishinomori clearly understood human proportions and could often effectively stylize them in a way that worked.

So how in the world could he draw those horrifyingly terrible, below-Liefeldian pin-ups? It makes no sense.

Is Narumi Kakinouchi too young? Her art is great.

Forgot pic.

I mean yeah that's a massive forehead but it's clearly intentional. Those "sexy" pictures look like something drawn by someone who can't draw.

Tezuka had the worst girls.

I can't read moon but isn't that from Book of Human Insects? If so, that's a low blow; that's one of Tezuka's worst-drawn series and it doesn't feel like he gave much of a shit while making that.

The early shoujo chapters of Phoenix have plenty of competent and well-stylized girl drawings. And they're from the 50s to boot.

The main, shonen Phoenix series back in the 60s also had far better girl drawings than that.

Even Alabaster, which he drew during his depressive phase and later disowned, had better girl drawings than Book of Human Insects.

Fuck, even cross-dressing Rock makes a better girl.

It's pretty fucked up with all the rape and abuse and guro and whatnot but Sabu & Ichi also came before Wild Cat and a lot of its drawings once again showed that, while it wasn't his forte, Ishinomori did have some understanding of how female anatomy worked.

So once again how the everloving fuck can you make so many competent drawings and then shit this out

everyone point and shout at the town fool
>fuck off

But all of these look bad.

Fuck, his CHARACTERS could draw better girls than that.

He should have stuck with drawing a upside down triangle on top of a circle.

You're either trolling or have utterly shit taste.

Also, your picture is literally Tezuka admitting to his fuck-ups and showing off his worst 'sexy girl' attempts. An even lower blow than the first example.

The men in that manga weren't well-drawn either. It's the single worst-drawn Tezuka thing I've seen, including the unpublished stuff he drew at age 17.

It changes anything if he admits he can't draw? He still can't draw.

Do you also think Kaiba's character designs are QUALITY and the result of animators not being able to draw?

For the record I don't think Kaiba is a very good show, but it definitely looks good

see
You're a bizarre person and I'm legitimately curious.

Buichi Terasawa gets no love. One thing I would say about him; his need to go forward with technology really hampered his artwork, the digital coloring tears all life from his art.

One of the better ones, avoid Cobra colored like a plague.

Also, no; Tezuka could draw because of the huge amount of good drawings he made before and after the extremely mediocre Book of Human Insects.

Adolf had its ups and downs but this scene was really well done.

>Nagai
What style did he draw his pin ups girls in?
His older style or the newer, kind of "muscle girl"?

Some of the best Hamegg drawings in Tezuka's career.

Well, not really 'pin-ups' as much as attempts at 'sexy' title pages. I don't think he was good at drawing women at any point and he still isn't.

Don't get me wrong, Nagai is one of my favorite artists. I think he drew some great men; Violence Jack for example is a fucking fantastic "giant buff guy" design. Really unique and interesting without falling prey to generic cartoon or anime "buff man" cliches. But god damn did he always suck at female anatomy.

Sometimes I`m concerned about Tezuka's idea of sexy.

Yeah his digital coloring is pretty fucking bad; not as bad as his Shonen Jump collegue Toriyama but still bad.

To be fair, I didn't really bother with the Cobra manga because I think Dezaki's direction was the real star of the anime. Cobra himself is very likable, but he's still basically a less creative version of Lupin.

Answer my question, faglord You're hand-picking meh-tier drawings from a guy who often had multiple weekly series going at the same time and yet had enough knowledge of human anatomy to draw highly detailed surgery scenes. Go make yourself taller.

I think I'm in the minority, but I always found his earlier, softer art really sexy for some reason.
It had a huge amount of QUALITY, that's true, but at the same time I can't help but like it.
I mean works like Dororon Enma-kun, Shameless School and Guerilla High.

Yeah I'm familiar with all of those and I can't find them sexy. Guerilla High has some really really fun drawings IMO but once again the male characters are miles above the females.

In general I hugely prefer his 70s art, but 80s Violence Jack had some well-drawn stuff in it and so did Shin Violence Jack which is 2000s. I think the 90s were his weakest period when he drew stuff like Devilman Lady and Mazin Saga. They had some well-drawn monsters and "ugly" characters but every character meant to be "pretty and charming" looked like a creepy soulless doll.

I'm not seeing any realistic detail on that. Just a bunch of random lines on a circle. But if you say so.

And no, that's art style. This, however, is QUALITY.

Shin Violence Jack also had some pretty kick-ass paneling here and there.

Kaiba's style is literally based on Tezuka's designs. People like Yuasa and Yoh Yoshinari would think you're a colossal faggot.

I'm just gonna assume you have a really bizarre troll gimmick, but since some people are probably stupid enough to fall for it I'm gonna keep posting good Tezuka art.

Just to be precise, by random lines on a circle, I meant that attempt at a brain. By art style, I meant Kaiba.

Tezuka early designs could be charming, not good. Now if you think that's good art, I'm suddenly feeling like a better artist myself. Thank you.

If you want MUH DETAIL there's always MW. I think it's boring as fuck compared to his cartoonier works but it does have some of Tezuka's most detailed art.

But they don't.

It also has enough gay sex to possibly appeal to someone who is as huge of a faggot as you, but likely not.

Cute. Here's some 17 years old Ishinomori for you.

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

But really I think MW is lame and dumb and I don't want to post drawings from it.

Here's some Buddha instead.

Hello there leddit

It means Tezuka can't draw. Point in question.

Ishinomori has plenty of weak-ass drawings dude. I love both him and Tezuka but come the fuck on:

And here's a really wonky and shitty panel from Cyborg 009, a normally very well-drawn and skillfully-stylized manga. I can be a selective shitposter too.

I fucking hate that you're making me cherrypick shit drawings from a manga I think has really fun art.

Looks like my pointilism exercises in high school. Thank for bringing those memories. Got a C+ on them.

>here's this better drawing by someone else, so Tezuka can't draw
Not how it works.

This is basically what if How I Met Your Mother wasn't a meme.

How come it never received anime adaptation?

woah watch out there 009 you're gonna fall on your ass if you're gonna keep striking poses that improbable

I imagine you probably got worse than a C+ if your exercises looked like that, considering that looks nothing like pointilism.

This is for old manga, user.

Those are some of my favorites, I love the wind-blowing effect there. You're very considerate.

Now if Tezuka's worst looked as good as this...

Ken Ishikawa!

Top-notch Ishinomori action. Tezuka can't compare.

are some of your favorites?

1990-1993 is not old?

To be fair that guy is obviously trolling and the only reason I even replied to him was to make a point to underage newfags who might take him seriously. There are tons of MAL-tier kids who think Tezuka couldn't draw.

Now I'm gonna post some good Ishinomori art because I feel like a retard even ironically imitating his shitposts.

I wouldn't say so.

I'll never get a chance to discuss Living Game with anyone ever T_T

I think some of Ishinomori's less cartoony art can be boring, but this manga has some really top-notch detailed stuff.

No. He had better days, I admit. Wish Tezuka had some of them too, but can't help it.

Fuck off, newfag.

>T_T
Lurk for two years before posting.

3_З

>There are tons of MAL-tier kids who think Tezuka couldn't draw.

Are you gonna be their savior? How noble of you.

Character designs with fun and appealing silhouettes kick ass.

You spent way too much time reading the John K. Blog, pal.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, and doesn't make you any less cancer.

>John K. Blog
the what?