Does anyone else feel the same level of complete disinterest...

Does anyone else feel the same level of complete disinterest, bordering on disgust in regard to the Dragon Ball franchise at this point?

Can someone name a series that's been more done to death?

There's no weight to anything in the series at all anymore. I'm not just talking about Super, I'm talking about everything related to it. We've all seen it, the idea of powering up and new forms has been done many times over in series that have come after it much better at this point, and there's never any actual feeling of threat.

Even 8 years ago, SSJ was starting to get dull, but DB has never been good at actually SHOWCASING the purported strength of its characters. It always just ends with claims of "I CAN DESTROY THE GALAXY" but continues with regular fistfights on earth or in space.

If there is one series I could make end with a single wish, and to remove all marketing and media for it, it would be Dragon Ball at this point. It's fucking dead. How many more fucking years do we have of seeing the same characters and same plot before the general public stops buying shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mxvCP_K6Mn8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I feel it too user. To me DB is just a soulless corpse.

Dragonball might have popularized the shonen formula but every single shonen after it has vastly improved on it. I have no doubts that if DB released in 2016 instead of 1989 everyone would say it's garbage.

Dragon Ball ended over 20 years ago, I don't know what you're talking about.

>Can the dragon balls fix it?
>If no try Goku

What the series needs besides actually following it's own rules or letting it die already is soft reboot where all you have left is old ass piccolo/dende teaching a new generation to fight bad guys or whatever.

>blogposting
go back to plebbit fag

This is what super should have been.

I actually think GT took a better approach to starting a new series after Z. Instead we get blue goku and friends in tournaments.

>Dragonball might have popularized the shonen formula but every single shonen after it has vastly improved on it.
>One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail improving on anything.

Also nice not even knowing the proper release year of Dragonball, user who is also most like the OP.

Didn't the Resurrection F movie make a shitload of money?

>Does anyone else feel the same level of complete disinterest, bordering on disgust in regard to the Dragon Ball franchise at this point?
Yes.

Is there anything you can actually say to claim they didn't improve on basically everything when comparing it to DB?

The characters get more development, the powers are more varied than just "laser beams and punches", and the voice acting actually fits the characters.

I love One Piece, am neutral towards Bleach, and think Naruto and Fairy Tail are shit, but they still improved on fucking DB.

the went from typical rag tag of good guys doing adventures and stuff to super muscled godlike beings that can shoot nukes at other godlike beings that can also shoot nukes while making monologues and mocking other characters with long speeches.

Best scene in DB

15 years ago or so, I thought that Dragonball is the best anime series I'll ever read and watch. I have all mangas, artbooks,some games and other merchandise. I never missed a single episode on TV.
But now with 28, I've lost every interest in it. I don't even care for the new DB Super series. I've read the new plot, but decided it's not worth watching it.

Never gonna happen user. Dragon Ball is making too much money to stop. Xenoverse made tons of money, Xenoverse 2 which is basically going to be Xenoverse 1 with more colors and customization options will sell tons of copies, DB Super will make money, They might release more movies and make a few million, they'll keep the gravy train rolling.

The only way this shit could be good again is if they make more characters relevant. I don't how Tori would do that though, considering how only a select few characters are chosen to duke it out with one another using energy nukes and shit.

It's fucking horrible that Toriyama lost his ability to draw this kind of stuff.

Japan still loves it, so it never going to going and will keep on coming back like Gundam and Lupin III.

>shitting on the voice acting in the series with one of the biggest all star voice casts ever
You're so burger it hurts.

America still loves it. All those fresh new weebs trying to seem cool for liking something old. You've got 10-18 year olds hyping DB back up and some DB fans can't let their nostalgia fade.

>The characters in Naruto etc get more development

Sasuke gets more development than Vegeta, and the relationship between the hero and anti-hero is more fleshed out than Goku and Vegeta.

no one gives a fuck you autist, what worth is there in development if the development is shit

See the thing with Dragonball is that what you see is what you get and it never tries to deceive you into thinking it something deeper. Lots of modern day shonen series do that and are worse for it.

The Frieza thing did it to me. I don't mind him getting the power up but christ 4 months? Its too much bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=mxvCP_K6Mn8
Android saga old recaps

>even 8 years ago
But DBZ ended 20 years ago, you know.

>that ost

Super is genuinely the worst fighting shonen of the the last few years. I'd almost go far enough to say that the Big 3 at their absolute worst are still better than Super in it's entirety.

>The characters get more development
That's actually what I think hurts most modern shounen and the reason we haven't had any hits on the level of Dragonball internationally. They all think that they have much better writing than they actually have and the series' focus is misplaced due to that.

Are the characters and world in modern series more developed than Dragonball's? Sure, they are. But that comes with a misplaced sense of importance of these stories, resulting in things like slow flashback, introspective chapters and lack of resolution that have no place in these series.

In Dragonball, every arc was treated like it could be the climax of the series, while most modern ones mistakenly attempt to build a larger narrative that often just seem to make the current struggles feel pointless.

Toriyama also mentioned in an interview he never wanted people to care FOR the characters, he wanted to write a story you just followed to see what happened. There's never any angsting or deep personal drama in Dragonball, it's just an ongoing story that makes you want to find out what happens next.
That gave it a much more universal appeal than shit like Naruto.

Then why is Super so awful?

Yes, but, it is normal if i'm hype for Super's episode tomorrow?

No because it's not Trunks Arc yet.

>In Dragonball, every arc was treated like it could be the climax of the series

Wasn't it so that every story arc might have been the last one, because Toriyama wasn't sure how long he could keep drawing?

Most modern shounen are made to go on nearly forvever, if they are successful.

Toriyama has always been clear about how he just makes shit up as he goes along and never plans ahead more than a few chapters.

I know, but asides how dumb Purple Jello Vegeta is, it will be fun, obviously until Goku arrives.

The current arc is legitimately pretty fun, far more so than that shitty tournament.

I think DB needs more fusions

DB has been dead for over a decade, the fuck took you so long to catch up with the times? I'm convinced the only people who still care about DB are children and 30+ year old fanbabies who never moved on.

it's great, isn't it?

DB manga chou is out

>In Dragon Ball the main character defeats an ancient evil, becomes the strongest man on Earth, surpasses God, gets married and has a kid
>In the first third of the story

Does it is better than the anime? Because i liked the Cabba fight

That was the worst thing i've ever seen.

I liked it

Why is he so perfect?

Almost as though you're supposed to outgrow a franchise for 14 year olds

One Piece and Bleach have a shit ton more chapters than the whole Dragon Ball + Dragon Ball Z + Dragon Ball Super together.
And in Dragon Ball we got to see a fucking kid turn into a man with grandsons.

If anything, the progression in DB is way better than modern endless manga.

I never thought it would happen, but what's killing this series more for me than the generic crap it's hauling out is the fanbase.

No matter what this series craps out now, no matter how inconsistent, or even moronic this series gets, people chomp at the bit to make excuses or call you a Mexifag/Toonami-American Baby for daring to say anything about it. GT wasn't great at all, but Super does the same goddamn shit, and it's a perfect untouchable series
COMFY
SLICE OF LIFE
TORIYAMA
GAG SERIES

This shit's on the level of fanfiction, and the series sucks Goku's cock as much as it does Vegeta's now. Is that the difference? Because Vegeta is getting "his due"? Even though his role in the series is exactly the same (punch guys because we won't let anyone else do it, then lose so Goku can be the strongest) It's honestly awful how this series goes out of it's way to just waste characters, and now the shambling corpse that is Super can't even think of any decent plotlines because the series has nowhere else to go. Literally most of Super is about retreading nostalgia and/or fighting old enemies.

We had a filler episode, and even that was too long to go without Goku and Vegeta butting in. Wasn't that the problem with GT, that it's GOKU TIME? I guess that's not the case here!

I don't know, my favorite part of the series has always been Dragonball, so the magic has been gone for the series for me for quite sometime. I've had some good times with this series, but I guess the ride is over for me now. I can't expect this series to remember it's own rules, and fans will literally invent theories into canon to make up excuses for it, where in a series like Naruto, we'd just call it bullshit.

Well, he's old, so I guess that's forgiving.
The problem is that the series can't even pull off basic/subtle writing structures anymore.

And Christ forbid we do anything with the other characters. I never thought they'd throw Gohan completely in the trash, but I guess as long as Vegeta gets his time, it really doesn't matter.

>
>Well, he's old, so I guess that's forgiving.
>The problem is that the series can't even pull off basic/subtle writing structures anymore.
>And Christ forbid we do anything with the other characters. I never thought they'd throw Gohan completely in the trash, but I guess as long as Vegeta gets his time, it really doesn't matter.

Because Toei's staff has always notoriously been Vegetafags. Any extra bit of Dragonball media that isn't focusing Goku will always give Vegeta extra focus, even if it goes against the script. Every single Vegeta-centric episode has consistently gotten excellent animation, even during the BoG/RoF retreads episodes. This extend to Bulma as well, to the point she and Vegeta are shoehorned into to every SoL episode, when realistically, Gohan and Videl should have gotten at least ONE episode celebrating their wedding, much less Goten and Trunks attending school or Kuririn spending time with his family; that Goku got an episode with Piccolo, Chichi, Goten and Pan was rare enough. Toriyama himself is well aware of this favoritism and actively panders to Vegeta fans in his interviews, not hesitating to shit on his other characters, but then that's always been how Toriyama rolled, even it's for the sake subverting fan expectations by leaving Vegeta out to dry, in the end. I just wish the extra context was spread around to the non-Vegeta characters. That we had that massive cross-universe tournament and neither Beerus/Whis nor Champa/Backs bot an episode to themselves is bullshit.