Favorite 1st Episodes

What are some 1st episodes that you feel are timeless, or unforgettable? Episodes that feel like they pulled you in from the very beginning.

Tower of druaga

Michiko and Hatchin. too bad I thought the rest was average.

Heroic Age even though the series turned to shit Ep 2+

geass

Kill la Kill.

This.
Almost to the point where while I liked the rest of Kill La Kill, it never felt it quite reached that level of excitement again.

First half of first episode of Gargantia

Pokemon is the obvious answer here

Eva.
>Cicadas and atmosphere make it feels like you're in a hot summer town.
>Definitely a sense of tension.
>God tier animation.
>Hints at the psychological and darker stuff.

Record of Lodoss war.
Sadly, the other episodes didn't keep the formula.

Gargantia. first and second episodes were so good then shit on potential for space war against squids

Episode 5 was great

Never has there been a greater entrance than this in anime history.

The end of Erased's first episode was just perfect.

Symphogeah S3

Angel Beats! first episode is just about perfect imo.

i know that feel.

this

also this

i will say that death note's first ep was fantastic. it was all downhill from there.

You can't put gurren lagann and kill la kill in the same "timeless, or unforgettable" class.
Kill La Kill is way more forgettable.

This is a good one. In fact the first like, 4 or 5 episodes of Erased are seriously God tier.

Then he goes back to the present and it's all downhill from there. What a disappointment.

I never said anything against Gurren Lagann, just that Episode 1 of Kill la Kill (especially the first scene holy shit) was a hell of an entrance.

Funny, I actually found the first episode of TTGL really boring back when it aired. I watched it with two other high school friends. Took my years to actually see the full series.

It's now on my top ten.

I didn't love angel beats till the Iwasawa arc ended. Thought it was a bit generic at first

Durarara had a real dope first episode.

The first episodes I saw were on tv about midway through the series so I never really got to appreciate the first episode, but Fullmetal Alchemist did a fucking great job of introducing the characters and concepts in a nice little story arc.

Bleach

That song completely threw me off in the best way

I will say that TTGL, despite being an overall light 7/10, had a pretty solid first episode.

YOUR MOTHERS A DIRTY WHORE

Initial d

Same. I didn't start liking it until THAT episode.

First episode of Non Non Biyori
Instantly pulled me in, as it was so relaxing and the scenery was superb.

Gamagori and Nonon are the only memorable divas. Monkey man and Techmaster_2000 I can't even recall by name.

Zvezda on paper was basically what I hate about anime, it's a sign of how good that first ep was that I was instantly hooked. Ended up being my AOTY.

this desu

Death Note

Came here to post this, glad to see it first too.

Samurai Champloo? Nobody? The first episode is simply fantastic. The direction is awesome.

It's the best episode of the series.

good shows with especially good first episode:
Kamichu
The World God Only Knows
Non Non Biyori

mediocre shows with misleadingly good first episode:
Assassination Classroom
Kotoura-san

Absolute Duo
Glasslip
Kremlin
Mahou Sensou
Vampire Holmes

>mediocre shows with misleadingly good first episode:
add Gakkou Gurashi to this

Obligatory Futakoi Alternative

Cross Game

Oh wow how did I forget this one. Champloo's one of my favorites.

TV or OVA?