Hiroyuki Sawano thread

Hiroyuki Sawano thread.

Let's talk about the man and his music, his music that is packed with variety from epic orchestrations, light bubbly pop (Light Your Heart Up), and blood pumping comeback songs.

Also
Kill La Kill > Kabaneri > Xenoblade Chronicles X > Gundam Unicorn > Team Medical Dragon > Guilty Crown > Attack On Titan > Sengoku Basara > Blue Exorcist > Aldnoah.Zero > Seraph > Seven Deadly Sins

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ehxzly2ogW4
youtube.com/watch?v=AXrODaCYXmc
youtu.be/6QomlNU-sO4
youtube.com/watch?v=ekykN90Ueq4
youtube.com/watch?v=_xb2O5Rc2IY
youtube.com/watch?v=LA1pEXaNmBg&t=3m20s
youtube.com/watch?v=cDbh3lLi1ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=e9DLZ0G7JXM
youtube.com/watch?v=oUl3kUhc73c
youtube.com/watch?v=cM4SZ6AzfMY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I know he's a meme composer but I've only heard Kill la Kill and Xenoblade and both were fine in my books.

Kabaneri's OST is fucking boring, I barely even notice it.

There's a TMD anime or is it just the drama?

copying yourself is not plagiarism.

>TMD and Unicorn not on top 2
>Kabaneri not on bottom 2
I fucking love Sawano's work but his works after Xenoblade X are absolute dog shit.
Also mind you that he started composing for Xenoblade X back on 2013.

the KLK soundtrack is possibly the best thing about the show

>Sawano in the [NzK] shrieking vocal Tracks era
>Variety

Pick one

KLK and Unicorn had great soundtracks so why is everything else he does so shit?

Lost any creative spark after Gundam Unicorn.

the J-Drama.

Xenoblade X's music is one of the most unnecessarily shat upon things I've seen in recent memory.

youtube.com/watch?v=ehxzly2ogW4

Is one of the greatest vidya tracks ever.

Main menu theme means jack shit. The battle themes are godawful. It's fucking trash. Even low budget games can do better in house youtube.com/watch?v=AXrODaCYXmc

>Main menu theme

Thanks for admitting you didn't even play the game, amigo.

>wanting Kabaneri to be on bottom 2
youtu.be/6QomlNU-sO4

uh, no.

I won't say I don't understand some of the criticisms, but I really don't mind them for the most part and on the whole I loved the soundtrack. Silly stuff like the "uh yeah" in New LA at night to the Don't Lose Your Way-esque tracks for tyrant fights were cheesy, yes, but I felt that they added a ton of personality to the game.

Uncontrollable may make you think "Wait, how the hell does this even fit in the game?" when listening to it without any context, but when fighting a tyrant, the theme gets the blood pumping so hard.

When you're getting to that last 20% HP and your entire party is in the red and the song is just hitting the double chorus.

Damn it feels good.

>falcom
>final dungeon
lol

Right? The game wouldn't be the same without it. Lots of good environmental tracks too I thought, I like this one a lot:
youtube.com/watch?v=ekykN90Ueq4

Definitely. Xenoblade X is one of the few open world games I can stand because it's actually a joy to run through the world. The scenery is enticing, the movement is fast and fluid, and the music for everywhere is great.

Someone hasn't listened to the new Kabaneri OST.

Reminder that everything is out to get you.
youtube.com/watch?v=_xb2O5Rc2IY

>tfw Sawano and Lotus Juice will never do a compilation together

BLACK TAR
IT GETS
YOU WHEREVER YOU GOOOOOO

I think X is my favorite ost from him.

>Sawano X Lotus Juice collab
Want. Fucking. Want.

it's like i'm watching unicorn.

And then you can hop in your giant robot with funnels and beam magnum and it'll be like you're playing unicorn.

> KLK
> Over Aldnoah or over Freaking Attack on Titan

How can someone get something so wrong?

You gotta admire his most varied work to date.

Still sucks shit. Kabaneri, Crown, Unicorn and Titan are all superior and more memorable too.

Half of KLK's songs sound like pure wubnoise or generic piano music.

Before my body is dry, Blumenkranz, and Light your heart up are the only good songs in it.

Ambiguous is the shit

That's not Sawano, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=LA1pEXaNmBg&t=3m20s

>no I Want To Know
>no Till I Die

I thought Light your Heart Up was made by another artist.

Go Shiina does Sawano music better than Sawano.

Go Shiina does everyone's music better than them.

I'm loving the Kabaneri soundtrack right now. The music that's played at the end of episode 6 made me immediately go download it.

Oh fuck was the full OST already released?
I didn't even realise I missed it

Basara and Unicorn will forever be his best works. Ever since Guilty Crown he's had a retarded obsession with overusing vocals.

youtube.com/watch?v=cDbh3lLi1ZY

The best thing about Sawano are his track titles.

>> Kabaneri > Xenoblade Chronicles X > Gundam Unicorn >
>this shitty ranking
Into thrash it goes.

>his music that is packed with variety
Wew lad

+h|S

It's literally guilty crown ost 2.0

Gundam Unicorn (Magnum Opus) > Kill La kill > Team Medical Dragon > Xenoblade Chronicles > AoT > Guilty Crown >Blue Exorcist > the rest.

youtube.com/watch?v=e9DLZ0G7JXM

What are implying? This is garbage and not original at all for Sawano

Hiroyuki Sawano is a great composer. I feel he gets a lot of residual flak from the projects he's worked on that I don't think is really fair to ascribe to him. I also feel some of the actual criticism of his work, by no means all of it, is not really a product of Sawano but of the director of a given project wanting 'The Sawano Soundtrack,' which is naturally going to lead to samey sounding shit.

At the same time, I do feel like a lot of his stuff in more recent years has sort of fallen prey to that. If you listen to the soundtracks to a few of the projects that he's done back to back or shuffled into a playlist, you'll be able to tell that many of his background-ish tracks and even a handful of the main-ish theme tracks sound like half-reorchestrations of the same like six or eight songs and half-new material written in. That's not to say that they are, or that Sawano is lazily slapping together music to ship a product, but I feel like Sawano's recent fame is kind of locking him into a narrow style of music.

Like you look at Taku Iwasaki or Yoko Kanno, for instance, and even though Taku especially has some odd instrumentation preferences that are going to show up in places you might not expect it, you listen to their soundtracks back to back and you (or at least I) don't really get that same kind of vibe.

I dunno. It has been a long time since I've studied music theory and whatnot so I'm probably not explaining things as well as I could.

youtube.com/watch?v=oUl3kUhc73c
youtube.com/watch?v=cM4SZ6AzfMY
My favorite Sawano songs.

The only possible ranking :

Unicorn > Ao no Exorcist > Guilty Crown / Shingeki no Kyojin / Nanatsu no Taizai > Kabaneri / Kill la Kill > Aldnoah Zero > Owari no Seraph

Didn't watch the other anime he worked on. XCX's OST is between Unicorn and Ao no Exorcist. I'm only judging the music, not how it is used in the game.

>vocal song in a jrpg
garbage

the 1st xenoblade is superior

Why is Nanatsu no Taizai rated so low? I think it's great and different from his other works