Are there any mangaka who actually have a degree in creative writing or are they all just art school graduates who...

Are there any mangaka who actually have a degree in creative writing or are they all just art school graduates who don't have any formal training in writing?

>creative writing degree
>worth anything
Next you'll ask if famous directors go to film school

Do they?

Most didn't.

>degree in creative writing

there's ken akamatsu who got a film studies degree

They didn't even all go to art school, a ton of them self-taught and/or learned as assistants. I'd assume that manga-oriented programs (which do exist) involve some writing/story-oriented aspects, though.

>degree in creative writing
Holy waste of fucking time and money, batman.

Some of them go to 2 year college. But most of them are self taught.

Oh I'd like to point out the one that do go to 2 year college for manga or animation are the ones that only want to draw manga - which is pretty suicidal, because 99% of mangaka don't make it.

The rest get normal degrees so they can live on something besides government cheese when they fail.

Oda once said in an interview that he and many of his contemporaries never trained in an institution and instead learned on the job.

Not sure how accurately that reflects the industry as a whole though

Some do and some don't. For example Brian Singer went to USC's film school and Apocalypse is doing well so far regardless of what people here think of the movie.

Is that where he learned how to fuck kids, or did he study that on his own?

Some famous directors have went to film school and some directors have not. I feel that it all depends on where in life, the lightbulb goes off and you discover your passion for what kinds of movies you want to make. For some it's in school, for others its in real life.

At least anime screenplay writers have gone to university, right?

No. That's what Sunday sermons in catholic church are for.

I don't really know anything about that drama and don't really care. I was replying that while school is not for everyone, some famous directors have gone to study film and others have not many times due to natural talent to learn through experience. The numbers seem fairly balanced.

>creative field
>formal training

No. They go to films.

Yamakan did, and look how much that helped him

nothing

Makoto Shinkai is not a Mangaka and he is an animator, but to partially answer your question, he did study Japanese Literature at Chuo University, so I would say he has a knack for good writing and pairing it with beautiful animation. I personally think he's a genius and while I won't attribute it all to his literature degree, the fact that he enjoys good writing is nice. Read enough stories and it starts rubbing off on you when you try to write your own.

We are talking about creative writing, not econometrics. It's perfectly feasible to learn creative methods without formal training since you aren't expected to do something standardized.

That's not a yes or no question user. Spielberg went to school, Tarantino did not. Everyone's got a different story to tell.

Good writing doesn't mean bundling a bunch of internal monologues and top it with 5 beautiful pic per second.

his works have awful writing though

Well I thought the way he paced and organized his stories was good e.g. splitting the film into smaller stories with time skips. I wasn't talking about the 5 wallpapers per second meme but since you brought it up, I still think that pairing pretty pictures with dialogue is a cool way to illustrate the passage of time when you have so many time skips. I'm never studied lit. but I'm sure you can pick up more than good writing. You can learn how to pace your stories and think up interesting ways to organize your plot progression.

Well that user isn't wrong though. He did study literature but he is not a mangaka. Most mangakas I see drop out of college and end up either barely scraping by or hitting it big. It's not the "safest" profession so to speak.