GuP finally surpassed The Rebellion in the box office

GuP finally surpassed The Rebellion in the box office.

28.6億 121scr 15/06/13 Love Live
21,3億 *77scr 15/11/21 Girls und Panzer The Movie
20.8億 129scr 13/10/26 Madoka Magica The Rebellion
19.0億 137scr 11/12/03 K-On!
10.4億 *64scr 13/08/31 AnoHana

BD report tomorrow.

Other urls found in this thread:

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ガールズ&パンツァー#.E6.94.BE.E9.80.81.E5.B1.80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Madokafags on sucide watch.

didn't realize GuP was so popular. can't wait to see the movie.

What effected those jumps?
What kind of events is GuP longevity based on?

As it should. GuP tea parties are not bore fest with awful songs

Consistent screenings + another round of 4DX screenings after the BDs came out
The fact that's it's good helps too

Increases in number of screens showing it due to being sold out so often.

Kill yourself

>Consistent screenings
No, consistency does not lead to jumps.

>to being sold out
The curve says something different. Ticket purchases were going down before getting the next jump. So it was not sold out at the time of the new screens.

What i meant was, they kept screening it instead of riding the initial hype and letting it die. They kept it alive long enough for the BDs to hit, and that's where the second jump came from

Bonus film causes last jump.

This triggers me.

You'll have a blast, in more ways than one.

Will it surpass Love Live?

No.

Only if someone were to rent a few planes to gather up anons and fly them to Japan to see the movie while it's still showing in 4DX.

No, but it has made its mark very well. An S2 is likely with this popularity.

20 people won't make any difference though.

Japanese people watch the movie 50 times in a row. Why can't you?

It still would be a really low number.

So this makes it the second all time highest box office of all anime films from the late night market, right?

This is a strange box office version of the tortoise catching up with the hare.

No although it's still a better movie since it didn't have future Honoka

Increasing the number of movie theaters showing it.

May 20 was the nationwide screening of GuP

The fuck. I watched the first season, and it was kinda boring. Not bad, just boring. How the hell did it become bigger than Madoka?

>GuPniks happy because of 2nd place
Tough Kek. Call me when it has surpassed Love Live then we'll talk if it has a chanve of being like Monogatari. Making anime great again.

GuP was prime time, not late night.

I don't know where this meme came from.

>火曜 1:00 - 1:30(月曜深夜)
>木曜 2:35 - 3:05(水曜深夜)
>土曜 23:00 - 23:30

ATX viewings were from 21:00 to 21:30, but those were an entire week late. It was very much a late night show, just with a very delayed prime time slot.

Source: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ガールズ&パンツァー#.E6.94.BE.E9.80.81.E5.B1.80

>GuP was prime time

the showing was late night, user

unless 1-2AM is suddenly "prime time"

I WAIT 3 YEARS FOR THIS MOVIE TO COME OUT AND IT'S OUT FOR A FEW DAYS EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT IT AND I'VE YET TO HAVE A CHANCE TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH IT

SHUT UP YOU SPOILERING FAGGETS

probably shouldn't be in the threads tbf sempai

The stats confirm what we already know.
Moeshit is the current state of anime and its not going away anytime soon.

Why the fuck are you in here then

Watch the goddamn movie you nerd

Because the Madoka movie was an utter panderfest of ass compared to how good the anime was.

Snape kills dumbledore motherfucker

FINNS HAVE THE BEST SCENE

SAORI KILLS DARJEELING

Many reasons.

1) The Dialogue in GuP is proper Japanese as opposed to the abbreviated crap that kids like. This makes it accessible to the older audiences who do not want to watch mindless dribble.

2) The interactions between the characters is fun, but always loving and respectful. Every conflict is resolved with mutual respect and the forging of friendships. This is a traditional view of how things should work in an adult world, and what parents want to teach their children. This makes it family-accessible.

3) The visuals are bright, colorful, but not overly stylistic. Everything is displayed clearly and there is no question what anything is.

4) No nudity or dumb adolescent pandering. GuP is a wholesome Christian anime.

5) The story, while simple, does not insult the intelligence of the audience. They don't bother over-explaining every detail about the motivations of each character. The Hana arc where she is disowned by her mother is an excellent little parable of standing up for what you believe in, understanding, and reconciliation. It is a very traditional tale.

5)The tanks are animated to the highest quality. You will not find any multi-million dollar movie that features CGI tanks of that variety, let alone quality. It sets the bar extremely high for most studios, and audiences that are stuck with poorly-animated cartoons get slapped in the face with something that is just beautifully done.

6) I will stop here because the list is too long. Simply put, GuP is a family-oriented work about faith, determination, hard work, forgiveness, and love that can be enjoyed by everyone including the elderly.

Help I can't tell if this is trolling or not.

Ooarai finally wins against St. Gloriana.
A nice politician decides to increase Ooarai's budget and give them new tanks.
The uni team uses a Sturmtiger.
Rosehip drives a Tortoise in the final fight.

Kill yourself autist.

Watch GuP and figure it out for yourself.

I did though.

It's only autistic if no one asked the question.

Well, then Go over the post point by point and carefully think about how true each statement is.

Then look at the popular Disney and Pixar films.

>GuP is a wholesome Christian anime

My sides.

I'm sorry I don't have enough fedoras to tip.

Nor do you have the intelligence to come up with a response that is your own.

BD is already out?

Oh geez okay, if you want it so much, here, this one's for you user.

Another hit for the dokas

I'm pretty confident he's not trolling, just fucking delusional.

I'm a huge GuP fan and this is the most retarded post I've ever read. People like GuP because of motherfucking TANKS blowing the SHIT out of each other. That's the whole reason they made the show, everything else was just an excuse to get away with producing an anime about tanks.

The entire story and all of the main characters are trite and of little value. And that's great, because the show is totally self-aware about it. The whole story is a huge absurd gag. The whole premise and every character development side plot is part of the central absurd joke of the series. It's all about the juxtaposition of these feminine girly high school girls with rough masculine tank combat. It's a JOKE. She learns to arrange flowers with more vigor because she fires the main gun of a tank? Come on! Senshadou is the pastime of great wives and mothers? Girls swooning over the propaganda video? Love is just like tank combat?

GuP is just packed with satire, of its audience, of its creators, and of itself. That's what's beautiful about it, it's this perfect package that only exists as an excuse to have fucking tank battles.

>he can't into metamodernism

>all of the main characters are trite and of little value
Okay now this is just flat out wrong. Say what you will about the plot being corny or predictable, it's a sports anime, it's going to happen, but to say the characters aren't at least decently done is wrong. The entire thing is not a walking piece of satire as much as it does poke fun at it's over-the-topness and the fact you think so just shows you are a very negative individual who views everything in a negative lense.

I'm going to have to ask you to say something correct next time you respond.

>you are a very negative individual
>I'm going to have to ask you to say something correct next time you respond.
Okay, I was wrong, I'm just being baited.

10/10 I got mad.

>I'm going to have to ask you to say something correct next time you respond.

You're killing me.

I'm surprised, GuP aired more than 3 years ago. Who would have thought it would still be so popular?

I won't complain though, there is no way they will let it die with these numbers.

The creators have said before that they're done with GuP after the movie unless they can come up with something that's actually new and different, but with numbers like these...

I really hope they don't produce some terrible cheap cash-grab. Some shitty S2 that just continues a story which was logically resolved and rehashes the same premise. Something with the same tone and in the same world but a very different type of story with all new characters would be welcome.

With the number of new characters they introduced and how well it did, I'm really having trouble seeing season 2 not be a possibility.

I'm sure there's something they could do.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. They have a golden goose, with any luck they'll be wise enough to take care of it while making money.

I'm disappointed the AnoHana movie sold any tickets. That shit was terrible.

It wasn't terrible so much as it was useless.

The problem is that each one of those groups of characters, specifically the different culture schools, are paper thin. They only exist for the purpose of parody.

For example, the Japanese team is just this weird totem constructed of all the distinct characteristics that the Japanese military displayed in WW2. Their existence serves two purposes: to be an excuse for Japanese tanks to fight in the climactic battle, and to make their one joke at the expense of Japanese military history. And yes, they're given a little bit of an arc. But it's mostly so that they can keep driving home that same joke via juxtaposition.

Darjeeling isn't a character. She's a pastiche. She's served her purpose. Once you try and make her do actual things, once you try and give her a life outside of her paper thin existence, once you try and turn her into a real character, then the pastiche no longer makes any sense. How can those two things be reconciled? How do you reveal her backstory where she somehow ended up being this strange Winston Churchill knock-off who commands tanks, obsessively drinks tea while commanding tanks, and is apparently named after a tea. She literally doesn't have a real name. Does she have normal parents? Or are they some kind of weird joke, too?

I'm no longer sure why I'm talking about this. I think that a S2 would have to not be focused on any of the characters we've seen so far. Sup Forumsnons have suggested a totally new main cast and having Miho be the final boss this time. It's an interesting proposition.

Topping the movie would be hard.

A bunch of OVA showing other schools would allow for more worldbuilding while keeping people interested in the franchise, preparing the ground for a second season with a cast mostly different from the first (cameos would be expected of course). But the underdog story has already been done with Ooarai, not doing a rehash would be the main difficulty.

They can do an underdog story in another fashion. Make the main character a rookie tank commander of a minor tank in a large high-budget school with tons of tanks like Kuromorimine or Saunders.

She starts off as a mere cog in the machine but slowly proves herself by disobeying orders from the main commander in battle and making an independent decision that helps her school to win. The main dramatic conflict would be the MC versus the bureaucracy of her school as she slowly fixes its problems. The leader hates her at first but by the end they become friends and the leader chooses her as her right hand man.

It is not nearly as much of a satire as you think it is. There is too much love in the story itself, and where the story does become serious, it takes itself seriously.

I would watch it.

I hope the military girls shows we get showered with due to this are better than highfurry.

You asked why it is so popular, you were told why.

Are you some atheist of family films? They don't exist or something?

GuP is something an entire family can sit down and enjoy, something anime does NOT do well. Studio Ghibili is considered the Disney of Japan because it puts out family friendly works. GuP follows the same formula.

Families are the main demographic in ALL societies.

They didn't fly to Mordor

Don't talk shit about Captain Mike

She's the only redeemable aspect of it.

I think you're confusing content and intention. GuP was never in any form marketed towards families. The fact that it CAN function well enough for families doesn't change that, it's just a mere coincidence that comes with the director's decision to not include any lewd or violent content which was purely a tactic to make the show look more wholesome to otaku and military geeks.

>not include any lewd
All that sex hair though.

>Cute girls in actual airplanes never because of Strike Witches
>cute girls in a sub being really fucking gay (because it's normal to makeout with other sailors ironically fuck you) never
>SnW S2/spinoff never

You're implying that sincerity and irreverence can't coexist, which is not at all the case. In fact that's at the core of metamodernism (which is a word that is hard to take seriously, I realize, but it is actually what we're talking about). That relationship also has a hugely esteemed presence in the history of anime. FLCL, Utena, Patlabor, Gunbuster. In fact, I'd trace it all the way back to possibly the single most defining and pivotal moment in the history of the medium: Do You Remember Love.

SDF Macross itself was developed almost as a cynical joke, but the way that joke was mixed with sincerity, culminating in the emotional climax of DYRL, became one of the biggest motifs in the anime world. GuP is a descendant of that lineage. The characters, the story, the setting, all of it is a huge gag. But you can tell that it's also a labor of love. The creators have even inserted themselves into the story in a self-deprecating way. Yukari isn't just representative of all tank nerds, she's the creators themselves. They like tanks way too much, which is what led to them making this show. The characters are absurd, but the writers take the message absolutely seriously because they believe in the themes being conveyed.

That reminds me of Shirobako, a hilarious comedy about making anime that also happens to be very sincere and moving. And it has GuP's director.

You can honestly apply that train of thought to a large majority of Ooarai's crews.

Hippo team, Duck, Mallard, Anteater, etc.

Characters that aren't the main ones are simply abbreviated to key distinct features to make them memorable despite their brief screentime. Caesar however got extended backstory with the OVA and Carpaccio.

Hell, Miho's team only got 4 out of 5 in explained characters. While Yukari, Mako, and Hana got backstory and introductions to their families, Saori was glossed over. However, if they didn't get their backstories, those three could be abbreviated to tank nut, Yamato Nadeshiko with underlying violent tendencies, and lazy genius. Saori's still just high school girl who wants to be popular.

Rounding out characters works perfectly fine afterwards. Explaining a gimmicky character well can be very effective in making a great character.

Also, the names are just codenames. Every school but Ooarai does it with the exception of Hippo team. They're literally all Japanese high school girls roleplaying. Darjeeling actually has a real Japanese name along with the rest of St. Gloriana.

The reason why these schools are like this are because they're literally sponsored by the nation they're parodying. Which I guess is also one of the reasons Ooarai was on the verge of being scrapped.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kay (Kei), Naomi and Alisa (Arisa) are their real Japanese names and the staff deliberately gave them names that can also double as American names.

>4) No nudity or dumb adolescent pandering.
Pretty much this.
GuP is something you could show to old folk and normie friends witouth being preachy bland shit like half of Miyazaki films.

>3) The visuals are bright, colorful, but not overly stylistic. Everything is displayed clearly and there is no question what anything is.
Yes. There's some subtle shaky cam but it's usually helps the CG blend in and give the tanks a weird feeling of weight rather than trying too hard to mimic tier combat footage filmed by panicked men with Parkinson's.

>5)
Dramatic subplots like Hana's felt a bit awkward. Didn't mind Mako's much since it did give some serious insight to her character, and ballsy grandma was hilarious. At least they got mostly resolved quickly and moved on.

>The main dramatic conflict would be the MC versus the bureaucracy of her school
Some of the schools in the spinoff manga are like that. Frenchaboo and Pole teams are seriously crippled because of internal power struggles.

Yeah there's certainly an element of that in Shirobako, it's definitely got satire going on, but I'd call it more of a dramedy. It's also an absolute labor of love, though.

They don't need to top the movie. All they have to do is making something which is acceptable to the fans.

The final action while it is stupidly over-the-top entertaining. But, there are fans who favored early action against Pravda & St Gloriana. It was more down-to-earth and mirrored the main series. So, it's still great in it's own respect.

GuP movie actually add more scoop of what could lies after. Miho hasn't reconciled with her mom, Oarai is still in financial crisis, and all those talk about graduation, Pro Leg and World Tourney opening up so much path to explore.

And talking about the action itself. They have yet to try thematic terrain action with mud, rain forest, desert or even high-altitude battle. And there are still WW2 tanks has yet to make an appearance like Comet and Cromwell.

So yeah, there are still loads of content they can milk as long as they're not being Jew about it.

Yes, and?

Rebellion is shit anyways.

Fuck all that shit.

Do an episodic season where each episode is loosely based on a classic war film or book.

1. The Dirty Dozen. Two-parter. Assemble your cast of misfit characters who are told they need to go on some mission. They train together, conflict, grow together, learn stuff, get close to each other, prepare for their mission.

2. The Dirty Dozen 2. Execute the mission successfully.

3. The Bridge on The River Kwai

4. Kelley's Heroes

5. The Great Escape

whatever, you get the idea

Never thought it would ever get there. I bet Madoka fans will be oblivious for a long time to come. Not that I care much but there's something about seeing shit talking fanbases who can't comprehend anything outside their narrow field of vision get blindsided by other things proving just as or even more popular.

I wouldn't go this far but in comparison Madoka Rebellion is some cynical bullshit that earned a lot of it's popularity through stealth marketing and combining fanatical fanbases together to generate a hit when they were at their most exploitable. GuP had to work for everything from the ground up through good old fashioned word of mouth and just becoming popular in it's own right from snowballing positive feedback.

That all sounds pretty petty, friend.

I still hate CGI.

Does anyone have a link to that video of the movie PV with the beefy guy screaming "WUNDERBAR" and hopping on tanks? Can't seem to find it again for whatever reason

) No nudity or dumb adolescent pandering.
>Pretty much this.
>GuP is something you could show to old folk and normie friends witouth being preachy bland shit

Eh the anglerfish suit is kinda questionable. Outside of that, sure.

The best movie you'll ever see. Believe me.

There's no point trying to do any better, it just can't be done.

Woah Miho grew a dick.

That's a big one.

miho is the red man

Just the way I like them.

Doesn't it have Aya Hirano, though?

Nice. GUP deserves it.

Just watch it right now. It's 2 hours but it goes by really fast 'cause the whole movie is literally action packed.