Can you fully appreciate anime without understanding Japanese?

Can you fully appreciate anime without understanding Japanese?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWmfiR2aqE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is this going to be a Sup Forums tier dubfag thread?

you just need to understand the culture, not the language

Can you fully appreciate anything without being omnipotent?

No

Now start learning japanese

>he thinks there are people who actually understands Japanese
it's a fictional meme language from a fictional country
do you understand now?
JAPAN IS NOT REAL

You are no doubt going to miss things when you are not born and raised in japan.

You'd have to unambiguously define what it means to "fully appreciate" something in order to answer that question.

The question itself seems to imply an objectivity of experience in art/media that doesn't exist.

Can you fully appreciate loli without fucking a child?

Well obviously you're going to miss language based puns, but the bigger difference is going to be cultural.

England and the USA speak the same language, and there's a huge difference between TV shows that each country creates.

In all seriousness, no.

Can you fully appreciate analogies without attending English Class?

What if I become blood brothers with a Japanese man while training as a samurai?

Watching subbed is a bit like having a filter. So "fully", no.
Not that anyone can gauge how close to "fully" you can actually get with subs. If your Japanese isn't really good you might actually be losing out on watching your anime unsubbed.

That said Japanese and English are really, really incompatible. Learning Japanese increased my enjoyment of anime a lot.

Mostly but you miss out on some of the side materials.

How do you fully appreciate something? There are god damn shows here in burgerland that I don't even know how to 'fully appreciate'.

Yeah, and on those puns too. They have so many pun jokes since their language allows them to.

Can you fully appreciate anal without a reach-around?

>american "entertainment"
the only entertaining thing about american entertainment is the entertained

Can you fully appreciate you're waifu without eating her poop?

What he said, how do you fully appreciate anything? Is such a thing even possible? If so how would you quantify it?

Your question is meaningless.

It depends on the series.

WHITO PIGGU

GO HOMU

Only hentais.

No

You can't fully understand the culture if you're only exposed to it in translation

The more you watch, the more you'll enjoy it because you'll start to get a feel for the culture it's trying to represent.

>but the p-puns!
Puns are shit no matter what langauge

KISAMA

ARE YOU AN EOP OR MULTILINGUAL?

That's why it's called shit taste

Can you fully appreciate clever puns without being a filthy fucking spic?

Both.

So how long before someone who took a Japanese major appears and tells everyone how you can only appreciate K-ON if you learn hiragana first. Or Daiz appears and starts talking about the NATURE of TRANSLATION.

You can understand it through the lens of English, just like the Japanese understand it through the lens of Japanese.

Culture isn't like math. It doesn't remove ambiguities, it thrives on them. All culture is always going to be coloured by the context, experience and other characteristics of the observer.

When Sup Forums gets moonrune captchas.

Of course not.
But idiots on Sup Forums will still tell you you're not experiencing anime correctly when you watch a stream while they watch meme filled subs from Commie and Horriblesubs.

If you can understand an anime perfectly with the best english subs, then that anime has garbage writing. This is why Nichijou is best

>and tells everyone how you can only appreciate K-ON if you learn hiragana first
What?

>Daiz

Don't summon the fucker. I wish he stuck to typesetting instead of editing. UTW would have been much better off.

Understanding it through double lenses will not give you the same picture the natives have. You're limited to what has been translated and the process of translation distorts and obscures.

>horriblesubs
>meme subs

>daiz

youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWmfiR2aqE

If your exposure to Japanese culture is through English translated cartoons and comics then you are probably nowhere near as knowledgeable about the culture then you think you are.

Hell someone who spends a week in Japan knowing not a lick of Japanese and having never seen an anime or manga before would probably know more about Japanese culture then you at that point.

I fucking want this. Not for "filtering out" fags, but because the current captcha(v1 or not) are disgusting.

Yes. Horriblesubs are meme subs.

Their subs aren't memes though.

rekt hard

>needs to understand language to appreciate anime
You know, even Japanese don't fully appreciate it.

NOBODY FULLY APPRECIATES ANYTHING

>understanding the same thing ten times since they use the same tropes over and over again

gee i wonder if its even possible

do you fully appreciate it?

I HATE IT

As a person who took a Japanese major, I suggest that you don't learn that shit. Only N4 and I want to nuke the fuck out of them (again) already

This is really a rather ignorant statement.

It is all dependent on what you are watching. To give you an example closer to home. You need little to no understanding of American/Western culture to understand a show like "Ed, Edd, and Eddy". If however you were to watch something like Southpark or the Simpsons (especially later seasons) without an understanding of western/American culture, most of the material would go straight over your head. your like or dislike for any and all of these shows doesn't affect the point I am making

Not to mention that your "one week in japan" example, even as a hyperbole, is retarded. That person isn't going to understand anything, he might see a bunch of "different shit", but he isn't going to understand it.

You are also completely ignoring the fact that a lot of people who like anime have a general interest in Japan and will read up on its culture, history etc. to varying degrees. I have yet to meet a person who watches anime but has 0 interest in anything else related to Japan.

The truly ignorant are the people who revere Japanese culture as superior, plant it on a pedestal and have a bad case of "own culture" hate. The "1000 times folded steel katana best sword in the world" crowd.

HE HATES IT

>You had Japanese as your major and only made it up to N4

What the fuck, man.

N3 after teaching myself at home for a year. Boy am I glad I didn't do a Japanese major.

I dont care about japanese culture
I dont care if I dont understand something due to shitty subs

Anime and manga is just one form of entertainment among many.

There are better things for me to spend my time on... Like ai[/spoierl]

You can't learn languages in schools, they slow you down and then kill any enthusiasm you have.

N4 is about par for the course for a Jap major

Oops, dumb copy paste mistake. I meant Japanese course, as third language. Forgot to edit that before hitting enter

Why is Nipponese entertainment so superior to anything from the West though? Even their Live Actions are better than our TV series.

It's a shame most of the good Japanese stuff goes untranslated or, well, just poorly translated. That's why I've been studying Japanese the whole last year.

>he thinks stream sites use superior translators
You are probably watching shitty quality streams with HS or Commie subs. Unless you meant to say you are streaming from "official" streaming sites, in which case your money has my condolences.

That's pretty dumb, I have no clue how you can claim to know nothing about Japanese culture from watching anime unless you wipe your mind after every anime you watch, barely watch anything, or you're just plain retarded.
Surely you've learned what people say before eating a meal, or when school starts and ends in Japan at the VERY least, right? You realize that's learning about a culture right? Depending on what you watch you should also have a at least surface level knowledge on Japanese mythology and history as well from anime as well.

Love?
AI?

>Why is Nipponese entertainment so superior to anything from the West though? Even their Live Actions are better than our TV series.

Its not, you fucking shit taste weeb

We'd always find a way.

Thanks to watching anime for a while (a long fucking while) I can vaguely understand what the japanese tourists in my country are talking about.

I know some people who major in Japanese and some of them took (and passed) N2 last year.
They also spent 1 year in Japan though, so maybe you're right.

I'm relieved.

Ah fuck, i forgot that the N-grade started at 5 and went to 1, not the other way round.

N2 is par for the course of a Jap major is what I meant to say, sorry.

Yes because your ears won't pick up how cartooney or fake the VAs are. You should know about their culture however.

It is of course distracting to look at subs and not everything on the screen, so that's bad, but I stand my my point.

Japanese live action acting is one of the most cringe worthy things on TV.
Every time I see it it's like they are trying to make goofy anime faces, but in love action it looks plain retarded.

What others said. Their literature, films and cartoons are a register of their culture. If you can't get enough second hand knowledge by that leisure exposure and reading more about topics that catch you attention you are fucking hopeless.

Visiting a place means shit if you don't have a open mind or if you can't visit the right places. At that point you won't really get shit about their culture, just reaffirm some stereotypes because you are filtering it trough a very limited perspective. You'll learn about their routine at best.

I was on the train once and a Japanese lady fell and when I helped her up she said daijoubu.

Is it really so bad for a voice in a cartoon to sound cartooney?
Besides Japanese people make do quite well with it, I don't really see any Japs complaining about their voices.

I wouldn't go that far. They have some good films, but their tv output isn't really great for most part.

So much this. I will never understand why people hand out oodles of cash to learn a language. Unless the course you are doing is a culture/history study of a particular nation it really isn't worth it. Especially the above average internet "savvy" crowd that frequents Sup Forums. If you can find Sup Forums, you should have no problem being able to find otherwise expensive learning materials for "free".

For instance Assimil French is easy to come by from various sources and you will be able to understand and speak the language within a year with that. Will you be native at that point? Probably not, but is that really needed?

Same goes for Japanese, loads of courses to be found online (also from Assimil btw) that allow you to learn it at home.

No one can "fully" appreciate anything, we don't have perfect eyes to see all the colors. We don't have the perfect ears to hear all the discreet noises. We don't have a perfect brain to discern and enjoy anything. This is just 3 parts of our body too. If you include hardware limitations, the perfection would not be seen for lightyears ahead. With hardware not showing full colors, with hardware not processing perfect upscales, with hardware not processing perfect sound, quality, etc

Its impossible to fully appreciate anything. The best we can do is what we can make of it. With so many different variables in between a perfect anime fulfilment and yourself, the difference is negligible between reading subs and understanding native.

>fully
No. Simple as that.

I watched Joshiraku and dropped it because most of the humor was clearly being lost in the translation and in my ignorance. Then I learned Japanese and rewatched Joshiraku only to drop it again because most of the humor was clearly being lost in my ignorance.

N2 is shit. You literally can't read a common LN aimed at middle schoolers unassisted of N2 is the best you can do.

Isn't this grounded in the way traditional nip theater works, which is all about exaggeration?

*if N2 is the best you can do.

It's grounded in them not hiring based on acting talent

You had a hard te understanding the jokes in Joshiraku? I don't remember anything too obscure. Maybe it's because I can't get enough of Peter Barakan's sweet voice.

Why do you spout factually wrong statements? This is an honest question. Why do you do it? No matter what way I look at it, I don't see what you stand to gain from it. Are the (you)'s really that valuable?

Gotta use them notes man.
notredrevie(dot)ws/2012/07/09/joshiraku-01-notes-and-the-like/

You don't need dubs or subs to fap to them.

N2 is second highest not second lowest user, maybe you're confused. You need to know upwards of 5000 kanji to pass your N2 and it takes 3-5 years of self learning, so I hear.

It's true though. A person with just N2 will get stuck on the grammar and the vocabulary countless times just to read a simple LN. He'll make it through, but so would an N5 given enough time and patience. N2 is pretty shitty by all standards.

>You need to know upwards of 5000 kanji to pass your N2

You could have just said "yes, the (you)'s are really that important to me", it would have oiled down to the same thing.

>Why is Nipponese entertainment so superior to anything from the West though?
Because the Nipponese are gods at human drama, to the point that I think the west has a huge lack of emotions and empathy.

>You need to know upwards of 5000 kanji to pass your N2
is this bait?

Might be, but that doesn't make it look less retarded.
Any attempt at seriousness gets thrown out the Window, and the comedy only feels forced.

Sorry user, 2000, my mistake.

user, if you can't even get N1 there's absolutely no way you'll be reading anything without constantly consulting dictionaries or something equivalent. It's just a fact. You can deny it if you want, but the numbers don't lie. You can read, but you can't read unassisted. If you could, N2 would be a breeze.

Source? Your ass?

Are you trolling with this because the mod is deleting more genuine attempts at trolling?

I might agree with you if you were talking about actual novels, but LN's? That's like saying an ESL couldn't read Goosebumps without consulting a dictionary every other sentence.

Japan will always be the genki retard while the west is a deadpan kuu. Pick your poison.

This.
I tell people to self-learning instead of taking shitty slow-paced classes and doing the bare minimum work each day when taking classes. The insist that the class will somehow motivate them to work on their own, but most people just give up or lose motivation after learning in such a tedious way.

I know someone who browses here who claims to know nothing about the culture or language even after watching around 100 anime and seasonal shit for 2 years, and gets mad when I assume he does. People can be pretty close-minded.