Why is Nyarlathotep the only Lovecraft thing that shows up in Japanese media?

Why is Nyarlathotep the only Lovecraft thing that shows up in Japanese media?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers
barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815
tokyoscum.blogspot.com.co/search/label/Lovecraft
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But Shub Niggurath shows up a lot too.

In the new KyoAni show the MC has a familiar he names Cthulhu.

Because Nyarlathotep, along with Shub-Niggurath and Cthulhu, is the most well known lovecraftian horror - even people who have never read a lovecraft story know they are "something weird and monstrous".

Also, unlike Cthulhu who's form was very well depicted in it's story, Nyarlathotep and Shub-Niggurath are both rather "formless" and so there is more creative freedom in designing their characters (e.i. "we can make them a cute girl").

>only

This. Plus the copyright has been dead for decades so why the fuck not.

Nyarlathotep is also the most "human" of the Outer Gods, so it's funnier to use.

bloodborne

Not to mention, of the Cthulhu mythos Nyarlathotep is arguably the least alien and most palatable character.

Whereas most the pantheon sees humanity as pond scum at best, things you might step on without noticing and nothing more, Nyarlathotep at least finds amusement in playing around with humans.

>Lovecraft
>copyright
That's where things get kinda sketchy, He owned the stories involving these characters, but he let anyone to use the characters for other stories as they wished, so what Japan is doing falls in that.

Speaking of lovecraft, Where should I start if I want to read some of his stuff?

Yog-Sothoth is the best.

It's all free.

Demonbane visual novel

Because it has Nya in it.

Who would lovecraft's favorite keion be?

Depends what you are into. Starters get bored easily with "Call of Cthulhu" so I recommend
"Whisperers in the Dark" instead and see if its your thing.
Sister of the woods with a thousand young seems promising.
> Shub Niggurath will never be your onee-san.
why live?

Wasn't Saya a Shoggoth?

He writes short stories, so basically just any collection of them. I guess The Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Shadow out of Time might be some of the more well known ones, so if you can find one including those you might be off to a good start.

The man only wrote one actual novel, most of his stuff is 20-30 page novella's and short stories, so it doesn't really matter where you start.

His works aren't exactly a straight line linked chain by chain, so there's not a pure order you really have to follow, but I'd always recommend "The Rat in the Walls" "The Re-animator" and "The Outsider" to get started.

The Colour Out of Space is a personal favorite of mine.

It's the first one I ever read and it's what got me hooked.

According to Blasterz she's something lower than that.

Waiting for junji ito to illustrate a Lovecraft manga but probably won't happen

I started with "The Nameless City" but I my favourite is "At the Mountains of Madness"

~ ara ara. What do you think you're looking at, Anonymous.

She was designed specifically to make me as erect as humanly possibly.

The Rats in the Walls.

>tfw renting out 100 year old copies of Lovecraftian novels from the local library

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

~H. P. Lovecratf, 1912

>en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers

Holy shit

Hey! Ya!

Have you played Bloodborne?

BB was surprisingly moe.

Um sauce please

Also no one mentions Saya no Uta in thread, so sad with neo/a/

>neo-Sup Forums
>sauce

Well I'm presuming nitro+ from google search, demonbane charachter?

Was I the only one who liked re-animator?

With the budget it had it was a great sucess

>Also no one mentions Saya no Uta in thread
Already did

Go listen to the audio book of "the moon bog" on youtube

>Doesnt know about Demonbane
> Calls others neo/a/

Lovecraft doesn't show up much in anythign actually.

Probably because it's not much of a crowd pleaser cuz ti's depressing and mind boggling as fuck.

Cthulhu, at least, is pretty popular.

this

I have this
barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815

>barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815

Not actually human skin leather. Lame.

It's $20 to be fair.

Reminder that Lovecraft works had more to do with the fear of the abyss and conceptual horrors than tentacled fishmonsters.

Gonna put in another vote for The Rats In The Walls. That was my first Lovecraft story and reading it was a 'hooooooly shit' moment; it's still one of my favorites. It's a great jumping-off point.

Mugi

>neo/a/
>Doesn't knows about Demonbane
To Sup Forums with you

I wish there were more lovecraftian themed anime, even manga there's very very little.

Posting a good read
>tokyoscum.blogspot.com.co/search/label/Lovecraft