Filed for bankruptcy

>filed for bankruptcy

F

F

If I didn't have Toys R Us, I would've never found half of my favorite toys when I was younger. I'd always get to go once every few months to get one thing. I'd have that one thing in mind, but would then usually find something better to get.

Man, fuck Amazon.

Forgot

FFFFFFFF
F
F
FFFFFFFF
F
F
F
F

The last one I went to was unkept and full of non-whites so I don't care. press S to spit on grave S

Bought all my pokemon cards here

F

This

S

>2000+x
>retail industry
get rekt faggots, I don't need shitty shop assistants if I can order stuff online for a lower price

>tfw have a cousin that works there and has a family

genuinely feel bad for him, he's a good guy even if he messed up a good bit in life.

>capitalism isn't broke-
Pol BTFO!!!!

>if I can order stuff online for a lower price

Actually because of protection laws, you essentially pay the same price as if you went into the store. It's the same reason why e-books are the same price as paper backs despite having none of the costs of printing involved.

Is it really Amazon's fault in this case? How many kids still play with toys vs. minecraft and watching twitch streamers on their ipads?

nobody buys toys anymore retard

It's not so much Amazon's fault as Gamestop's. Toys R Us played too hard into the video games market instead of keeping with the traditional toys. While it's a good idea to *have* video games available in a toy store, betting 4 billion on red was a bad idea.

it's sad. as someone who plays a shitload of videogames-

fuck videogames
also fuck the internet
and television
and general mass communication

all of these things have ruined children and culture

Actually it is cheaper at amazon than Toys'r'us.
Fixed book price agreement is a special case and doesn't work as a general example, but I appreciate your effort

Internet shopping is cheaper, Toys R Us couldn't adapt, it's not really Amazon's fault that the markets have changed

Even so it is a shame. I used to go to Toys R Us for lego all the time. Too bad lego is overpriced as fuck now and seems to contain less pieces.

Just because you file for bankruptcy doesn't mean you go out of business

Very true. It isn't all Amazon, but they have played a part in it. Both my blame and your blame can be rolled into one blame of the technological "revolution" that has taken over society the last 20 years.

Thankfully, I still know of a lot of parents in my neighborhood that restrict the use of iPads and computers with their children to about an hour a day. That's what I had when I was a kid, I would spend 30 minutes on an educational computer game and then get 30 to do a fun game.

>During college I needed to get some Nerf guns.
>First thought was Toys R Us.
>Go to their website.
>Search doesn't work, results are retarded race cars and Pokemon games
>Literally nothing works
>website uses ancient UI, absolute shit. Doesn't work on mobile phones at all even in 2012.
>Fuck it, check google maps and go to a Toys R Us in person.
>Can't find it. Surely they have Nerf Guns.
>Can't find a worker that knows.
>Third try's the charm or some shit. Guy points me towards board games.
>What do you know, there they are.
>For a basic Nerf Rifle and Pistol they wanted $56 and $48 respectively.
>I Didn't care about the price but >$100 for 2 nerf guns feels like fuckery.
>check Amazon on phone, $25 and $12
>What the fuck ever?
>Order on Amazon from inside of Toys R Us.

I'm sorry guys. I'm the hacker millennial that killed Toys R Us. Turns out I didn't feel like paying 300% more just so some jackoff drop out can stand around a store all day doing nothing. I don't owe them anything. Have reasonable prices or fuck off.

>pay us more than the value of the product because we brought it to a warehouse and put it on a shelf for a couple months
Retail is dying, it is inevitable. It's hitting luxury items (such as children's toys) right now. In 20-30 years there will be no brick and mortar for anything that people don't need immediately, or that is inconvenient to ship.

You're like three days late on this one bud. Did you just wake from a coma? Just Got your Internet back from being a naughty boy with mommy and daddy?

This, the price difference isn't small. I don't make enough to pay several times more than something is worth.

I would spend hours in Toys R Us' LEGO section as a kid. They used to have a large area where some of their sets would be laid out for kids to test and play with. It was almost like an indoor park, but for toys. It was amazing.

I understand the whole market argument, where if it wasn't Amazon it would be another company, but part of me just doesn't think it is right. I love the free market, but this might be a little too much. People are inherently lazy and fugal, and sometimes when that is left unchecked, it will have malicious effects on society. I'm not trying to blow Toys R Us declaring bankruptcy out of proportion, because only an idiot would think this is bringing the end of society. However, I think it represents a larger problem that our technological and automated advancements are bringing to society. Sooner or later it will need addressed instead of kicking the can down the road.

Meh. I liked toys r us back in the PS2 days because they often had good games in the bargain bin way below MSRP. But they haven't been good in recent years.

Yeah, Legos have been shit ever since they switched to making licensed shit from movies. Star wars killed Lego.

F

In europe it continues as usual.

To be fair though, Toys R Us must sell at the prices they do because their costs are also well above value. With all the excessive regulations on shipping nowadays, it's a miracle semi trucks are on the road at all. Plus you're paying a dumb teenager $10/hour to stand there and put stuff back on shelves, only because the government says you have to.

Sure their business model sucks but they have a lot more hoops to jump through than amazon.

It is Toy R US fault. They couldn't compete. Why they didn't go online years ago??

It's called Toys Я Us not Toys R Us
(It's pronounced "Toys Ya us")
Dumb fucks

I loved Lego star wars but I'm 19.
Remembered getting this for Christmas when I was like 10, spent about 3 days building it in the mornings with my dad. Good times.

This man laughs at your misery

I used to go there over a decade ago on a regular basis. Maybe once every few weeks, check out new stock, see if anything I wanted jumped into the bargain bin, etc. Now the place is like 50% Star Wars/Disney shit. 25% clothes and 25% old ass video games that are still full retail price.
The fall of Toys R Us has been a long time coming.

Noooo there goes my childhood

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

>Mfw everything from muh childhood has almost died

Kids these days don't even know. Can you imagine picking your toys out from Walmart or Target exclusively? Now Amazon? Nothing is even tangible?

>Mfw when kids BTFO

SPIT
P
I
T

But then again I'm surprised it lasted so long. Kids these days just need a smartphone or a steam account. What kids would actually buy expensive toys when they could buy Minecraft and be occupied for 2 years straight?

We never had one of these anywhere near where I lived. But mom got all my shit from K-Mart and Ames and neither of those are around anymore either.

but e-books are cheaper every time?

And you still ended up being colossal autist shit posting on 4chinz. Great story!

I'll never forget when Toys R Us first arrived and killed off Children's Palace.

Bbbut they just opened one here

So are you.

The market is all adult collectors these days. My friend is a huge Transformers sperg and he buys out the stock from Toys R Us and other stores and resells it on ebay.

Shit i work there part time while going to uni will i lose my job.

Pic related

Are they gonna kill and eat Geoffrey like the Venezuelans did?

Toys R Us went to shit in the early 2000's. It's nothing more than a glorified Walmart toys aisle now. Toys R Us back in the day was the greatest., it made other toys stores like Kay Bee seem like jokes in comparison.

>paying for e-books

Maybe if they weren't overpriced as fuck they wouldn't have gone bankrupt

>Tfw I worked in a branch of the UK arm for a few months after graduating uni.

I'm so glad thus piece of shit company has filed for bankruptcy. I pray the UK business does the same.

Awful management and policies. Stores and computer that haven't been updated since the early 90s. Absolutely retarded and archaic ways of sound things.

Never have I hated a company that I've worked for more.

S.

F

I've got some good childhood memories of that store.

Where we went for playstation and N64 games. The end of an era, but the shop has been dying for over a decade.

"Sound" should be "doing".

Fucking phoneposting.

>be a kid in 1980s
>go to toysrus
>everything's overpriced by a bit
>but there are coupons
>things are quality
>and there are lots of toys to play with
>and lots of white kids my age to play with
>spend an hour or two running around
>parents get to relax
>buy some $6 toy that might cost $5 somewhere else, but it's pre-internet, so you don't know
>everyone is happy

>be parent today
>take kid to toysrus
>everything is stupidly overpriced
>even clearance items are overpriced
>can't pricematch because of unique-to-toysrus models
>80% of the store covered in dust because it's stupid shit no one wants
>nothing on display to play with because it's all broken
>no white kids to play with, all spics and niggers stealing/breaking shit
>impossible to relax
>know exactly how overpriced everything is and have zero desire to buy any of it
>everything is shitty quality because toysrus bought all the brands, outsourced them to china and turned them to shit
>take kid home and let him play with toys i got 30 years ago at toysrus instead

The same Nerf guns were only 25% more than Amazon at other retail stores. Toys R Us was always 2-3x more. That's insane. Other retailers managed not to have insane prices.

Honestly, they had new Wii-U games at $80. No shit their sales are bad.

I am just old enough to remember Children's Palace. The Children's Palace I went to became a Toys R Us in fact. You guys from the mid-west by chance? I loved going in Venture as well, a department store that spanned from Indiana to Texas, I believe.

anyone else remember going to toys r us for their regular yu gi oh tournaments?

Venture was great... I miss venture

I spent hundreds of hours of my childhood in Venture

I see this as a net positive. Big corporation getting taken down. Less competition for Mom and Pop's who make actual toys of value. Realistically most kids are stuck on a computer of some sort or tv, but compare the quality and craftsmanship of a toy made in 1930 to a piece of plastic from China made today. If anything I see a resurgence in a niche market of high-quality toys that will last generations and be handed down from one set of children to the next preserving even a fraction of a family's history in a chaotic hyper-materialistic world. Maybe I'm just optimistic. Wal-Mart needs to eat the bullet next.

Yeah, I'm from the Midwest. Wikipedia mentioned Child's World, which I've never heard of

I got nine decks of Yu-Gi-Oh cards from Toys R Us when I was young, along with some Transformers and video games and shit.

We had Venture for about 5 minutes. The chain must have been struggling already when it opened.

I literally just started working here yesterday.
As I was walking out 24 new candidates were walking in for a group interview, they're still hiring people. It took me forever to get a job.

I grew up and remember Childs world. It was a White Castle on the outside. Was a good toy store and enjoyed having three toy stores to choose from as a child. Kay bee and toys r us being the other two. Always felt got a better deal at Child's world. Kay bee was more of a mall toy store and was the priciest of the three.

I used to bank shitloads of money and at birthday time my mom would drop me off at Toys R Us for a couple of hours while I filled up my cart.

S for spit

Most toys still have a ton of leaf paint and xenoestrogens, making me and my peers stupid and gay. Fuck toys.

there was a Child's World by me for a few years in the late 80s/early 90s ., it was pretty great. They turned it into a Gander Mountain, which closed a year or two ago

Lead paint

The Scandinavian wing of Tors'R'Us will live on.

>not amazon or game stop
my kids nieces and nephews all want electronics smart phones,tablets laptops etc no moar barbies or GI joes this is why toys r us is going down

Toys*
And it's a shitty chain anyway.

Back when you could recognize a store by its building design. Increasingly more rare these days.

I remember the Children's Palace chain. It seems like they were better than Toys R Us ever was. I remember them being all over Dayton and Cincinnati

F

Speaking of nostalgia, I remember when Chuck E Cheese culturally appropriated Showbiz's characters.

Looks like...
Toys Were Us

was the text ladder on purpose?

good. loved it as a kid. hated working there. bastards didnt teach me at all how to do my job. they just stuck me in the bike section and had me get bikes for people. no username or password for the computers either. fucking nightmare. spent 4 hours straight outside in the freezing snow at night pushing carts december 23. fuck toys r us.
S

I don't want to grow up

>Baktuptcy doesn't mean a company is going away especially chapter 11 when a company changes things
Yeah a few stores will close out the fact most here think z chapter 11 means a company is going away is sad.

and Child World, which I think was a sister store to Children's Palace

>implying there are any mom anr pops left
>implying the few that msy exiet don't have the same chinese lead paint toys big lots do

Last time I went into one to get a gift for my nephew, it was solid niggers and poos everywhere. The toys were trashed, the place filthy, no employees to be found anywhere, and it smelled like baby shit.

They deserve to be killed by Amazon. And it's one less place for niggers and poos to shit up.

That ad reminds me of TFW cousin Chad (real name) had a Colecovision.

>lol black kid stealing bike

Westinghouse are under the chapter 11, and last time I checked they still exist.

That's what's happening to BestBuy. They're basically a showroom to go see stuff in person, before buying off Amazon.

Except in areas with niggers, because they pay cash (from selling stolen iPhones) and don't have credit cards.

>At-st
One of my fav sets my man. Built that one on Christmas. Fun making it watching my puppy at the time rolling around in the wrapping paper. Toys R Us was grwat

Time to turn them all into indoor sports arenas.

more like a ehite furry is gonna molest that poor black kid

>new kids will never know how it feels to step into the legos section on a Saturday morning after having watched cartoons, planning to go play baseball or shit later that afternoon

>be Toys R Us
>be in debt for 10 years
>one day in late August / early September a creditor says were going to file bankruptcy
>rumor spreads we're going to file even though the thought hasn't crossed our minds
>every creditor thinks we're going to file now
>bonds lose all their value
>cost to insure our debt goes from 300k to 7M
>literally no one wants to touch us or our credit
>vendors and suppliers think were a lost cause and demand up front payment for goods since they think we're going to file
>with no money because no one wants to touch us over a rumor we have one last option
>we file for Chapter 11
Rumors are dangerous, yo

>mourning the loss of national chains that gleefully devoured local toy stores

fug
I used to buy those big boxes of pokemon cards from there
F

i don't think that amazon is to blame for this.
Kids can't wait for anything.
More likely that they would force their parents to drive to the closest supermarket than wait a day.
I think it is vidya and shit assortment.