Friedrich Nietzsche

Have you read Nietzsche, Sup Forums? Have you let the Based Kraut into your hearts?

> predicted the decline of Europe
> predicted the rise of communism
> predicted that women would get out of line (feminism)
> predicted the decline of Christianity (and contributed to it)
> predicted the current period of hedonism and nihilism
> turned into a camel as an infant, then into a lion, and finally into a child, at which point he decided to grow up
> BTFO'd Wagner

Bump this, Sup Forums. Let's get a discussion going. "Muh Russia collusion" will once again go nowhere, so let's talk about something serious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MSO1C9uYJLA
youtube.com/watch?v=fCnQQLUJHb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Also makes good choices in weaponry

>1911 .45

Noice.

Ah, I see you've listened to the last 2 daily shoahs.

Who here's read Genealogy of Morality?

>200 years of European Buddhism.

Just 70 years left goy!

Everyone ofc, Sup Forums isn't a board of degenerate meme hunting filth.

He also predicted a way out. The only way to übermensch is through slave ethics. It's literally a Hegelian synthesis of master and slave morality...

How do I understand what he's talking about? I got Beyond Good and Evil recently and tried to read the first chapter "Prejudice of Philosophers" I think it is, and only half of it made sense. Is there some other reading I should do to get the other half or what?

I've been out of touch with TDS since the whole doxxing event between them and 8pol. Is their material still good?

Read and dissect every sentence.
Just like Peterson does:
youtube.com/watch?v=MSO1C9uYJLA

Hell yes, whatever that means.

Genealogy of morals is more like actual philosophy. There is a coherent argument.

The big thing to get out of N is that all things that interact in the world have a will to power. People are a synthesis of the wills of our organs and cell. We eat to make atp to keep the machine going...

At a societal level conquers are a more pure manifestation of will to power qua will to power. Conquered people have a subverted will to power (slave ethics). They also outnumber the masters.

Throughout history skave morality has overtaken master morality from within society (Christianity and communism for instance).

Slave morality is critique and caries in it the will to truth so it isn't all bad but it's still an imperfect will.

The übermensch is the next step. This is a sublimation of will to power. The regaining of master morality while preserving will to truth (science!).

Essentially the overman chooses what's life affirming instead of false equality and the slavish fetishization of victimhood and weakness.

Many times, but I work on Nietzsche academically.

That's right in a sense, but the way you present it is kind of misleading. Nietzsche thinks slave ethics have been on top for a long time now. It's more a matter of reestablishing a morality of masters, and keeping the two relatively apart.

>Dude I bought Beyond Good and Evil at Barnes and Noble. Am I like a superman then?

You know Nietzsche would consider you a human failure right?

You read Richardson?

Same here? What university are you at? I'm actually a leaf too.

BGE is full of coherent arguments, but on a wide variety of topics. GM has more sustained analyses of a few particular topics.

Your summary of N's philosophy is a lot better than a lot of the published literature though. Something tells me you know that already. Academic?

Yeah. I'm in academia.

Hmm, not sure I'd want to say. Southern Ontario. There are enough universities here that that keeps me pretty anonymous. PhD student, you?

Yes, I think he's about the best in English. I wanted to study with him, but of course I didn't get into NYU.

Well then, Mr Hipster, how else would suggest us gettig a copy besides buying it at a book store? Having it dictated to us by a philosphy major as we carve our own copy of stone fucking tablets?

>based kraut
Err... you mean polish nobleman

Kierkegaard is superior, get swole

Haha. I feel you. I'll just say I'm in the gta (that narrows it down to 3).

Be happy you didn't. Just think of the rent and lack of space.

You do know that Nietzsche loved his IRL trolling and would say all kinds of outlandish shit just to get people angry right?

Make sure you get a Kaufman translation. The rest is garbage. All the Dover cheapies are not Kaufman.

>Y-Yeah haha...

He did claim to be Polish, but it's not true. I'm not sure he knew one way or the other, and he didn't want to be a German. Some family member did his genealogy under the Nazis, and showed that he was Prussian, not Polish.

Explain the camel, lion, infant thing

Also he claimed to be noble but was not.

I'll defend this year and hit the market. Very ready to goodbye to leaf land. Ship is sinking fast. If there was a uni north of Barrie or in the Bruce Penninsula I'd be up for staying. I do like rural lake life.

I'm thinking a small conservative American campus sounds perfect for me. Just nothing like Liberty that would kill my soul just as much as Berkeley.

youtube.com/watch?v=fCnQQLUJHb8

I'm guessing you're not in a philosophy department then, unless there's someone at Ryerson who works on N. York and U of T are just about hopeless for that. I was at York for a while. Didn't even apply there for my next degree.

Nope, he was a pure pole, stop trying to claim our philosophers

Nietzche explains the evolution of values as occurring in three stages.

The first is someone who uses borrowed ideals, the Camel, wanting to bear great things.

The second is the lion, who realizes he must toss down old ideals and interpretations to present his own.

The third is the child, who chooses his own values.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, "On the Three Metamorphoses"

Can an uncultured, brainlet read Neetche? I'm really struggling with Nihilism right now. It literally plagues every thought and action I take. I hear people say I have to read a bunch of other shit before I can even read the existentialist thinkers which is really gay.

Here here with everything you've said.

Zarathustra is where most of my redpilling happened. The concept of the Last Man actually made me question the strict utilitarianism I'd always subtlety carried with me as well as made me disgust those who too wished to be made into these detestable Last Men.

However, I think my favorite section is when he speaks of the Tarantulas. It is almost prophetic how the description of the "will to equality" in that section that the Turantulas have is matched with the radical Leftists of the last 50 years.

"And against everything that has power we will raise our outcry!"

I hate to say it, I've always considered myself a liberal (i.e. Limited government, freedom of expression, life, liberty, property, yada yada yada) and the more I read and reread Nietzsche, I feel more and more compelled by his illiberal vision.

"For justice speaks to me thus: Men are not equal."

You guys know that there were german minorities in poland and that he actually descended from it right? Also at the time he was getting insane and started trolling claiming polish blood bu the reality is that he had german blood

Shit man, I feel you. I might head south of the border too, since I have American citizenship as well (dual).

It's pretty cool to meet a fellow Sup Forumsack Nietzsche scholar. I almost want to say we should meet up or something, but that sort of thing generally isn't done on here...

> Nope, he was a pure pole, stop trying to claim our philosophers
> bong

Take a look at the wikipedia pages talking about nietzsche positivism and ubermensch

It's true though. If you want to try to work on your nihilism, start with Jordan Peterson. He goes very deep, but will be a lot more clear than Nietzsche if you're not well-read.

For sure. For me at least, Thus Spoke Zarathustra is the mountain you want to get to, but it's very important to understand his philosophy as a prerequisite to reading it.

For this, I recommend really sitting down and digesting Beyond Good and Evil and On the Geneology of Morals and understanding his arguments/thinking. There's no shame in looking at what others have to say on it, but it's good to also have your own ideas about it mixed in.

Most important works? I was thinking of reading some since i was 12, clearly it was a good thing to wait 10+ years.

"And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees if only they had -- power!"

Yeah I don't want to out myself as going to an evil grumpf lover board. Not in the current university climate

That shit was all obvious at that time though.

I like Nietzsche, especially his early stuff, but whenever I'm done reading him I kind of wonder what the point was.

>praised the Jews
>mocked anti-Semites and German patriots
>believed mixing the races created stronger offspring
>promoted pan-Europeanism
>rightly identified Christianity as a Jewish creation that enshrines herd morality and degeneracy
>claimed that no intellectually honest person could continue to believe in God
>shittalked women a lot

Nietzsche is incredibly based, but typically misunderstood by casual readers.

I feel like Peterson has good intentions, but he does nothing for me.
>Hurr what if we make Nihilist say everything matters!
WTF? I'm not a Nihilist anymore! Brilliant.
>Hurr clean your room.
Why should I "clean my room"? There are zero incentives me to clean it. When you have been dealt as many shit hands as I have your optimal choice is extreme isolation and LDAR.

Did Nietzsche write this book?

and your thoughts on the book?

> Thus Spoke Zarathustra
> Beyond Good and Evil
>Genealogy of Morals
>Twilight of the Idols
> The Antichrist.

Don't read Zarathustra first. If you grew up Christian, read Antichrist first. If you have a background in philosophy, read BGE first. Otherwise, I'd suggest starting with GM.

Understandable, I don't either. Keep the faith, user. There is still much more to take from N's philosophy. He has not yet been understood.

This.
And I am surprised by this thread.
It gives me hope.
The usual Nietzsche thread ends up with retarded amerifats shitting on everything

Wasn't obvious how to understand it. That was his contribution.

The Bible predicted all of that 2000 years before he did. His whole philosophy was literally just a ressentiment rant while in his sick bed.

> Heidegger > Albert Camus > Nietzsche. > Schopenhauer >>>>>>>>(very far) >>>> Kierkegaard

What say you Sup Forums?

Brainlet

Because the left called him a nazi until he was basically suppressed in the uni system... (well his sister did try to make him one posthumously).

Look at the NYU deplorable professor ordeal. I'm just happy he had students.

Don't know if I could teach N and Popper contra communism here but I'd love to.

> the Jews are impressive in many ways
> anti-Semites and German patriots are narrow-minded in many ways
> certain kinds of race-mixing can create stronger offspring
> a strong pan-Europeanism (as opposed to the weak EU) might have been a great thing

I totally saw a post like this coming, although you seem to see through most (?) of the points in your list.

Liberalism can't cure nihilism. Just look how tightly wound Peterson is when he speaks about anything passionately, there's a contradiction there to his claim to always speak truthfully and one can feel it. He's basically a fascist soul speaking for liberalism, what's the point?

Mmmmmmm....I take issue with that. It seems like a rationale for sociopaths.

Then you haven't listened to him seriously, or else you're too far gone for it to make a difference. Not sure what to tell you.

Untermensch

Classical liberalism seems more master than slave to me. Progressive liberals are pure slaves though.

No.

I wish I had my copy of Zarathustra with me so I could quote some more, but it's a strange feeling with this section. On the one hand, it feels sort of good to see through the ideology of Resentement and "Equality" that is Marxism, but on the other, it makes me sad that I'm alive to see such Tarantulas scuttling about and, being a university student, so many of my fellow students dancing the whirlwind of revenge that is the Tarantula's Dance.

I think he said something like, if I remember correctly, "I'd rather be a stylite than a whirlwind (or hurricane) of revenge!"

Kek, haven't seen a Nietzsche thread on here before. Me and the other Leafzsche are trying to carry it, for now.

Muh sisyphus

Albert camus... lol no

Theology>Plato>>>>>>>>>>>>All other philosophers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kierkegaard>>>Nietzsche>>>All Modern Anti-philosophers

Probs a pole in bongland, we have them, I'm looking at one right now

Pls guys
I really liked his books....

An enormous portion of the German population had significant Polish blood at the time.

No friend, the only Hipster here is you. Nietzsche didn't write books for people like you. He would have considered you a human failure. The only reason you like Nietzsche is because you think you're superior, a rugged individualist, just because you're reading him. But that is not the case.

No friend, the only Hipster here is you.

He's also a poor philosopher. His remarks on Gödel make it seem he doesn't even know inductive arguments are a thing... as Jung is pseudoscience.

Petersons heart is in the right place and kudos to him for fighting against the mad herd.

Edgy

He's alive and well in philosophy, though most of them try to avoid the scary bits. In other disciplines I understand the consensus majorum to be "Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

A very old friend of mine who was studying in the 60s when Popper was big told me an interesting anecdote. Popper was apparently notoriously hard on anyone who disagreed with him even in the slightest, and some people took to referring to his book as "The Open Society and its Enemy" (singular) -- it's enemy being him. I keked.

Thanks, grew up christian indeed. I often get philosophical with my friends and its fairly successful and fun. I also always look into what i might be able to enjoy when it comes to philosophy books. Was recommended Nietzsche when i was really young as mentioned earlier, i think its time to pick up some as i know jordan peterson mentions him often, but notes how he looks at it which is probably the most intresting part about his talks, otherwise not really into peterson's stuff anymore.

Serrano is far more interesting. Neetzy was too autistic.

I always figured Nietzsche was reaching for something Oswald Spengler carved into form and Volkmar Weiss polished to a clear sheen.

>academically.

Liberalism is not my thing. I'm more sympathetic to Nietzschean aristocratism. But liberalism is a hell of a lot better than communism or Sharia. Peterson is fighting on a smaller scale than Nietzsche, but it's important right now.

ok leaf

Might as well include Evola and Savitri Devi.

Nietzsche being overrated is a meme. I may not fully agree with the guy, but his work is undoubtedly fascinating.

I've taught a lot of Popper but it's all demarcation. His politics is never touched on even though it's deduced from his phil of science and he was more famous for it.

He literally used as a prelude for Kuhn and his discredited book (see Putnam and Davidsons arguments against incommensurability and paradigms). Humanities students just love Kuhn and epistemic relativism cause science is racis or something

Take heart, user. You are by no means alone, even on a university campus. Seek like-minded people, and you will find them.

He's not that bad.

But he's not that good, either.

> looking at one right now
Sorry user.

Wtf is this camel > lion > child . I am not going to read that book

He wanted to be Chopin.

bye

Hang with business students or join a libertarian or conservative club. Hold your head high. There are lots fed up with what's happening on campus.

Nietzsche didn't give us away to the Ubermensch he just spoke about it and talked about it being possible, Evola gave us idea how to get there.....

> Petersons heart is in the right place
This, and he is right about a lot of things too. But he's not right about everything. I don't recall what he says about Gödel, and I don't follow him too far down the Jungian rabbit hole. Jung is interesting though.