Started reading Grappler Baki and just finished volume 1

Started reading Grappler Baki and just finished volume 1.

It's pretty good; please tell me it doesn't turn to shit soon or something. Am I in for a fun ride?

Other urls found in this thread:

spinybackwebdesign.com/
westbound3.proboards.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=85HDx7b-h7w
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=817132
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it gets better
ur in for a fun ride, son

Will baki ever get another anime/ova series? It's long overdue imo

It has its ups and downs.

It's *very* good. The second series is generally regarded as the best, but the third and fourth series do have their merits. Regarding fun: you are in for an unforgettable thrill ride that never lets up except for the fucking Pickle arc.

I very much hope so. Nobody can ever quite discern how Japanese studios pick what to adapt - beyond "hurr popularity"; so it's quite possible we might get one if the Nips get word that there's a decent-sized fan base even in the West, where we're not *supposed* to have translations.

This show/manga is gayer than Harvey Fierstein blowing Bruce Villanch

It can be as gay as it wants provided that it's good, which it is.

Very important hypothetical for everyone: if Jack was having an internal monologue, and he referred to himself using his full name in it, would he think "Jack Hammer" or "Jack Hanma"? Every character has pragmatically referred to him as Jack Hammer despite knowing that his name is technically Jack Hanma. Does Jack view himself as Jack Hanma or as Jack Hammer? I think that, because of the nature of his growth and maturity, he would call himself Hanma: his whole original goal was to destroy Yuujiro. So with that in mind, he *must* view himself as 'a Hanma' to be in that mindset, right? Or am I wrong? Please give me your take on this, I need it for something.

By the by, you're using mangareader. Don't. Just use Batoto. It's better.

Christ boys, that's fucking disturbing.

I hate that there are no night-time Baki people. We need to start getting more people on-board with the series. More people like OP.

idk if you know this yet, but the first series isn't fully scanlated; we're still working on it. For the time being, the most accepted method of bypassing this roadblock is to just watch the anime from the point where our scanlations leave off.

On that note: I know I said we were going to have more chapters of Grappler Baki completed soon, and I fully expected that to be the case. Unfortunately for everyone, some of the pages are fucked to death in the chapter that we are going to release next. It's a pain to fix it, and everybody has been AFK or just ignoring the problem, so I haven't had any help with repairing stuff. Sorry I let you all down. ;_;

For your reference: pic related is part of why the early scans of Grappler are so fucking horrible. Nobody wants to - or can - redraw this shit.

you are for THE fun ride of fighting manga.

if you enjoy it you should read garouden too.

Also the first series isn't finished, but the anime covers it well enough so you can go to the second one and know the characters.

The order is

Baki the grappler.
New grappler Baki.
Baki son of Ogre
Baki Dou

Yes, it is a fun ride.

In japanese hammer and hanma are pronounced almost the same so I guess it's irrelevant.
I think he won't call himself a hanma until he's at least an equal to Baki.

>some of the pages are fucked to death

which ones from what volume?

Op, for all your Baki needs:

spinybackwebdesign.com/
westbound3.proboards.com/

>Am I in for a fun ride?

You're in for the wildest ride.

I'm going to travel to Japan in 10 days, and I will go to Mandarake, if I can see some cheap Baki s1 volumes I may buy them so I can scan them in a decent way, I cannot assure anything, but I will try.

Spoilers: Cockroaches are OP

They're pronounced the same, but not written the same. However, Jack speaks in katakana, hence the problem. The question is regarding Jack's written speech and his internal name identity therein.

if jack thinks in katakana hen he sees himself as hammer too, not as hanma, because that would go in kanji I guess.

When Yujiro says his name to musashi in chapter 86 was it in kanji or katakana?

While I appreciate the offer, that's not something we would need. The pages are fixable, it just takes time. I would much rather you buy them for your own reading and enjoyment; de-binding books is always so heartbreaking.

>which ones from what volume?
21. The issues are with redraws and with page orientation. Arbitrary example is pic related. Redraws are less common, but are huge bitches when it comes down to them. Even after Oni does his work, I might end up spending anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour on a given page.

Jack speaks in katakana because he's a foreigner and an uneducated brute, at that. Typically, mangaka have one character in their work speak in katakana to indicate a distinguished voice, like in the case of a robot or a talking head.
>When Yujiro says his name to musashi
Literally, Yuujiro says his family name is Hanma, and it's written in kanji. He then says that his given name is Yuujiro; also written in kanji. That's in no way relevant, though. The only person in the entire series who ever refers to Jack as 'Hanma' in kanji is the fucking announcer in Maximum Tournament. Literally no other character has done it as far as I can recall, despite them referring to the fact that he's a Hanma.

>Arbitrary example is pic related
jk I forgot what I was doing halfway through that post
*this* is arbitrary example

>I would much rather you buy them for your own reading and enjoyment; de-binding books is always so heartbreaking.

Oh well, then I'll keep them just to me if I can find them, even if I don't know Japanese.

>Jack speaks in katakana because he's a foreigner and an uneducated brute, at that.

That makes sense.

Still regarding the surname discussion, I still he himself don't think he is worth of the name Hanma yet, he has been humiliated several times and is nowhere near his father or his little brother.

He is a little above the Rtsu, Doppo Gouki tier, but not up with Che, Oliva or Pickle, and no fucking way he is near Memetobe with weapons, Musashi or Kaku.

It's a shame I cannot offer better unless I scan what I get in Japan, because we both have the same scans.

Is New Grappler really considered the best? I personally thought the second was fairly weak. Except for the convicts of course.

Just when mc is about to have sex anyways his dad storms in just to demand them to have sex.

I don't differentiate series, I judge arcs and in my opinion:

Baki vs Yujiro > Convicts > Chinese tournament > Musashi > Tokugawa's Tournament > Childhood > Prison > Pickle > Ali Jr.

I don't know if I'm forgetting any.

Convicts and Raitai Tournament are much-beloved. Kaku was the most pleasant surprise for me in that series.

I honestly would say that the final arc of SoO was the best, but its material is simply too dense for this manga. I like to think of the difference in celebration as it is with Ulysses and Finnegans Wake: the latter is 'better', but simply has too much.

that was awkward as fuck.

The shitty translation didn't help.

>GRRRRR

there's a special volume of them fucking though.

You forgot the beginning - Suedou, Koushou, Doppo vs Yuujiro, Baki vs Kureha.

I think everybody who's caught-up with Dou and/or are kinda bitter should go back to read Doppo vs Yuujiro. It is honestly one of the best fights in the series, and it's bizarre that that's true; given how early it was in comparison to the other most-cited favorites.

There any live torrents for the anime, or am I gonna have to stream this fucker.
I wanna get onto New Grappler asap.

>mfw i didn't realize the scanlations for Grappler Baki weren't finished before reading the jungle arc
Hate it when stuff like that happens. Kills my reading momentum.

I honestly don't *want* to fix the translation for that bit. You know how uncomfortable the actual text is. It'd be a black mark on an otherwise-pure work history. I'm willing to bet that I could convince Spiny himself to do it at some distant point in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

idk what seed you got, but I'll load up my tracker, see if I can figure out how to seed again after moving the files

if anybody knows how, that'd make this much easier

>You forgot the beginning - Suedou, Koushou, Doppo vs Yuujiro, Baki vs Kureha.

I wa slumping that in Tokugawa's Arc, as it's somehow related.

I'm kind of interested in reading this series since I remember seeing a few episodes of it before, and wondering what the fuck was up with the MCs dad, though I'm confused why the fuck his hair keeps changing color, and how the fuck is he supposed to be 13 in the first sage when he's built like a body building 18 year old

I take some parts of the translation with some kind of charm, just like the Duwang in Jojo, it's awful as fuck, but it's part of our manga culture in some way.

It'd be nice to have better translations, but I'd rather have the first series finished and stay up to date with Dou, maybe have more Scarface and the other spinoffs.

You should honestly just make it more awkward if anything just dont fix it this scene is fucking comedy gold

Mmm, not as much as you might think. The Childhood Arc ran for like 3 years. Maximum Tournament is pretty separate. It's also strongly implied that Baki has been meditating for fucking months, right after the Childhood Arc flashback ends. Pic related.

Yuujiropls, can't you just let these kids fuck without actual kids coming into the picture?
Does he just really want to be a grandpa?

Slow and steady, champ. I'm just glad somebody is doing it.

I have what wa a torrent with the 2 seasons, the OVA and the OST, don0t know if it's the same but if it is I can try help seeding it too.

Just embrace the madness, it's a fun ride.

>why the fuck his hair keeps changing color
His hair was orange when he was 13 because he was a delinquent/rebel. When his mom stopped preventing him from being hardcore, he realized how faggy it was, and just went back to his natural hair color. His hair never changes color again.

>how the fuck is he supposed to be 13 in the first sage when he's built like a body building 18 year old
Not quite sure what you're asking here - if you're asking why he's huge at 13, it's because he's been forced to be a fighter since he was born. That's literally the sole reason he came to exist, and is a minute plot point.

Yujiro is fucking HUGE in some of those scenes, but like, Rob Liefeld HUGE.

I have whatever the fuck this torrent is, so I can't seed whatever one you're on, or whoever I'm supposed to be talking to. That aside, it refuses to let me seed for whatever reason. It insists that I'm downloading, but I'm not at all..

Implying gay people find this character design arousing.

One of these days Baki really needs to have someone check if he has some sort of tracking device stuck on to him, because his dad's ability to show up at the worst time possible is too good to be coincidental

can I read the sequels when I get to the end of baki since it's not fully translated? only thing stopping me from reading this

I'm trying to create a new tracker and upload my files on nyaa, will post a link if I manage to do it.

watch the anime as it covers the first series almost in full, then jump to New grappler Baki.

Is his dad a genuine dick or just mega tsundere?

spoiler alert: yuujiro tells him to hit it from the back in the bottom right panel

yeah, you don't really miss anything except the most obvious outcome and then a tournament introducing the new characters/full cast

Original user here, I'd appreciate that.

does this answer your question?

So hes just a good dad trying to make sure his son doesn't make the same mistake he did and end up empty inside?

>Is his dad a genuine dick or just mega tsundere?
Both, that's why he's best dad.

No sex without baby intention.
Yuujiro may be an asshole but he is still Catholic.

Not gonna lie, the art from this manga is the main reason I've never picked it up. If I'm an artfag is the story good enough for me to ignore the weird style?

>self proclaimed artfag
>Doesn't like Itagaki's style

muh schoolbook anatomy

Does the author ever learn anatomy?

the style will grow on you even if you are an art fag, because it's not like the author does not know how to draw, but that he does it intentionally, because it's the best way to express the story he wants to tell.

The story is engaging and over the top, and I find it extremely fun, if you like those things you'll definitely enjoy it.

author, Keisuke Itagaki
youtube.com/watch?v=85HDx7b-h7w

Another spoiler alert: he doesn't say that. He just says "To become strong, you must devour her!"

Ratman decided that that wasn't good enough, and made up *all* of the dialogue for the chapter. A third of it's in the general ballpark, but just disregard any possible takeaways from that sequence.

Yuujiro was so miserable that he created Baki in order to mold a perfect rival. However, over time, his values shift as he grows endlessly stronger and attains more power. He starts to care ~1% about Baki himself in the end.

If you're an art person, you'll appreciate the series even more. There's diverse usages of myriad artistic principles in Itagaki's art that most people don't really consciously notice. Might enhance the experience for you.

He got bored with all the fighters in the world not being on his level to he fathered a son to make him a worthy opponent.

>i shared this interview with Reichan-WFP who got a tranlation.he didn't release it outside of his group.asshole
top kek

Trying to create the torrent but I keep getting an error message:
"Windows ran out of memory. Unable to allocate 32768000 bytes" and then closes, I've disabled the disc cache to see if it now works, but it seems not.

I'm using uTorrent.

Your hard drive is full. Delete/move some stuff

It is an acquired taste, it will grow on you in time.

No, my disks have plenty of space, the torrent should be about 15 gb, and I also have 16gb of ram.

I don't know what the fuck is happening.

No clue, then. I really, really don't want to have to Mega two 6 GB files after the hell of uploading all of Baki, so pls find solution

I think the problem was
>2016
>still using uTorrent

so I'm trying with qBittorrent.

>retsu is still dead

Also will Itagaki do a new tournament?

Try to download this:
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=817132

He'll come back as a cyborg, trust me I know people in Japan.

What the fuck I'm seeding, but in the nyaa tracker I myself don't appear as a seeder.

Ah well it's uploading so I guess it's all fine?

Good until kid arc, tourney arc is good too. In second only convict arc is good. Rest is delirious shit,

some feedback on my torrent guys? does it work for you?

>Nobody can ever quite discern how Japanese studios pick what to adapt - beyond "hurr popularity"; so it's quite possible we might get one if the Nips get word that there's a decent-sized fan base even in the West
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, but isn't it already popular in Japan?

I hope you guys are enjoying my network card.

has everyone that was in this thread died but me?

baki manga sales are pretty low

You don't know half of it. Just enjoy every time Yujiro shows up and you'll be on a rollercoaster to happiness.

>Visual nerve going through the neck.
Triggered.

I wish somebody subtitled those.

There's little to talk about friendo.

It's mostly the same baki bros every thread and we're currently waiting on the next chapter.

Besides, this arc is basically Pickle 2.0 so there's not much to talk about in terms of theories anyway.

From the comments of the video > i shared this interview with Reichan-WFP who got a tranlation.he didn't release it outside of his group.asshole

WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE

Baki is a meme manga, sales or popularity matter little.

Itagaki is blending manga with ukiyo-e. How can you not love it, you uneducated brute?

yeah but just as I uploaded my torrent the thread died and nobody has given me feedback as to if it works or not, so it felt weird.

I'm always lurking around brah, but if there's no worhtwhile discussion I ain't gonna say much.

And reposting the same old memes gets old fast.

But hey, have something I found on an old JP blog while searching for other stuff.

which series do you think takes itself less seriously? Hokuto no Ken or Baki?

Neither. HnK is just less over the top (as insane as that might sound).

Hokuto no Ken is a drama the whole way through without any winding down or awareness of how cheesy it is. Baki pokes fun at itself and the absurdity several times and has serious situations that are also likely meant to be funny

They're more or less the same.

Only difference is that humour in HnK is mostly shifted on mooks while humour in Baki is focused on the big names characters, but they're largely the same kind of straight faced humour.

Itagaki's faces are better than Hara's though.

Good point. I know I sound like a broken record, but when it comes to fun moments, Yujiro takes the cake in this series. He's over the top in a world full of ridiculous people.

I half dropped the manga a couple years ago because of a huge hole in translations, but seriously? Wow

How did this happen?

I think HnK wins just for this single page.

He fought and lost against Miyamoto Musashi.

>What is bara genre

Every Dou volume comfortably makes over 75k in first two weeks of sales, so obviously it gets over 100k over longer period of time. And that alone puts it in the top of the industry.

It's not meant to be funny. It's a one liner, but it's only supposed to make you go 'wow kenshiro is badass' instead of also laughing with it