Why do the Japanese use potato cubes?

Why do the Japanese use potato cubes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_(geometry)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_weights_and_measures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That is not a cube.

It's the only way they know how to peel them.

Cubes are ludicrously aesthetic.

because they're not a square like westerners

Why the rectangular potato prism then?

Because they're not like murrica that make every potatoes into french fries and wedges.

Peeling potatoes is a bitch and considering how cheap they are the only thing that stops me from doing it like OP's pic is some innate sense of sanctity associated with potatoes.

>sanctity associated with potatoes.
are you a potato cuck?

this is true for onions. I never understand why people bother too peel only the thin brown skin away, just throw the top 1-2 layers away and they're good to go

Because they're not squares

>prism
Prisms are transparent.
They also have one less surface.
And they are completely different.
It's a rectangular cuboid.

Several reasons:
1) Simplicity of peeling.
2) Simplicity of measurement. Telling somebody you want 3 potatoes is a pain in the ass because there's a huge range of potato quantity that can be described as 3 potatoes. Not so much with these cuboids.
3) The side pieces can be used for a different dish.
4) When you have a guy in your family who eats a lot, he'll appreciate this shape because it will allow him to make the most of the space on his plate.

>not just cooking potatoes with the peel

Silence, fool.
You'll give away our secrets of good taste.

They sell bread for sandwiches with the crust neatly sliced off

But the crust is the best part.

>crust
>best part
Begone.

>he doesn't want the most valuable part of the sandwich

Eating crust is their cliche sign of poverty

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_(geometry)

With shit taste like this, I bet you eat white bread too.

>give apples to recuperating patients
>peel them

It's either washing them or peeling them. What do you prefer?

This annoys me. I'm not even poor but it's such a waste of bread.

Why not?

So they fit neatly in their frying pans.

The only shit taste here is the crust.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

I wonder if mankind will ever graduate from squares.

>Prisms are transparent.
>They also have one less surface.
>And they are completely different.
>It’s a rectangular cuboid.

1. Prisms are only transparent in optics. Not in geometry
2. Wrong
3. Wrong again
4. Correct. A cuboid is essentially any shape whose volume can be determined by LxWxH

>Simplicity of Peeling
Peeling itself is so simple a retard can do it
>Simplicity of measurement
That's why we measure foods in weight
>The side pieces can be used for a different dish
Or you can not be a retard and be forced to make multiple dishes
>Allows him to make the most of the space on his plate
By taking up the maximum surface area?
All of this wrong
Did you even pass basic geometry?

Fuck off Japan

>Peeling itself is so simple a retard can do it
Simple and easy are two different things.
Simple is something that you do with one move.
Easy is something that you don't need to learn.

>That's why we measure foods in weight
Only when buying them or while cooking.
Nobody who wasn't autistic has ever asked their mother for 300 grams of potatoes.
>By taking up the maximum surface area?
Are you stupid?
You can heap up lots of cuboids and have (almost) no air in between. That is maximum use of space.

In conclusion, you are fucking retarded.
(and I didn't know about the second meaning of the word prism)

>Nobody who wasn't autistic has ever asked their mother for 300 grams of potatoes.

Has anyone ever asked their mother for a HxWxD potato?

That pan is for eggroll

>Has anyone ever asked their mother for a HxWxD potato?
The assumption is that all potatoes have the same measurements.

According to whom?

>ou can heap up lots of cuboids and have (almost) no air in between. That is maximum use of space.

And how the fuck are you going to apply heat evenly across your fucking cubes? Both the entire mass and the individual cubes?

cold mouldy pasty white bread pleb detected

I read this entire thread and I still don't know why they cut their potatoes into squares

thanks for wasting my time Sup Forums

>White bread is an insult
Holy shit overcompensating fly-overs need to chill.

Europeans usually do measure food by weight. A cooking scale is considered a standard appliance there, whereas it's quite a rarity in the US.

Otherwise #4 wouldn't make much sense either.

But in reality, with normal potatoes, people usually ask for a number of potatoes (assuming that all potatoes have roughly the same volume) or they ask for a "large" one rather than a heavy one,.

How do Americans measure food?

white bread is nasty as fuck

it's too sweet and it disintegrates instantly upon the application of literally any condiment

at least get wheat bread, it costs the same and is far superior

Same way I heat up potatoes normally.
When you buy a sack of potatoes, it's common for them to be differently sized, so you'll cut the large ones down until they roughly match the others.
Either your country is very peculiar about potatoes, or you have never stood in a kitchen in your life.

>Europeans usually do measure food by weight.
Not at the dinner table, which is what we're discussing.

>Wheat bread
I've seen this term on /ck/ but I'm still not sure whether it's a meme.

The way you described it made me think of a perfect cube of potato cubes suspended in the air by magnets with a perfectly even heated medium between each cube.

>nobody who wasn't autistic has ever asked their mother for 300 grams of potatoes
>The assumption is that all potatoes have the same measurements.
>His mother is so incompetent that she won't buy potatoes of consistent sizes, thinking ahead of the preparation intended.
Kek

>The way you described it
Was about the fucking dinner table.
You don't cook potatoes on a plate.

Learn to read.

have you ever been to a grocery store in your life

Those croissants look burnt.

It's true, white bread is crap. Empty calories, no fibers at all.

>whole wheat bread is a meme term

Are you fucking 7 years old and never been exposed to a pantry in your entire life!?

You realize white bread is made by wheat as well?

It's not whole wheat! You are throwing out the bits that are good for you, fatass!

Like, do you really call whole wheat bread "wheat bread"?

Usually by volume, using a set of measuring cups. Meats are purchased by weight, but virtually everything else is specified in recipes volumetrically.

it's only sweet if you add sugar
you'd know this if you'd eaten anything but white bread purchased from an american supermarket

So you measure potatoes by volume too? Volume and weight are both used in Europe too, you know.

To be fair, bread or pastries aren't traditionally a Japanese thing.

Anyone who wants to be taken even remotely seriously, especially in baking, uses the metric system.

The bags usually are priced by weight, but people usually just select them based on the number of potatoes. Then the recipes will call for "x cups chopped/sliced/julienned/etc. (variety) potatoes", which is retarded as fuck sometimes, because of the packing issue.

The metric system has units for both weight and volume though.
Which one do you measure milk by?

>based on the number of potatoes
Are American potato bags so small that it wouldn't be a bother to count the potatoes?

The one you can't fuck up - weight. Measuring ANYTHING in teaspoons and cups means jack shit if we don't have the exact same spoons and cups.

>it's too sweet and it disintegrates instantly upon the application of literally any condiment

It's time to stop eating Wonderbread and hit up some actual bakeries.

As a German, I have never measured milk by weight.

You measure milk in liters.

You know there is something lacking in your bread when a slice can be compressed into a very minuscule little ball.

no that just means there's yeast in your bread

>Measuring milk in weight

Goddamnit user, use liters.

> Measuring ANYTHING in teaspoons and cups means jack shit if we don’t have the exact same spoons and cups.

Which is why we have measuring cups for this sort of thing

You can buy 2.5 pound bags of potatoes in clear plastic bags or 5-25 pound burlap sacks of potatoes.

Enjoy your poison.

I know for a fact metric measuring spoons exist, so you should know exactly how it's done in English units.

Eh, unless you're like the Irish and you eat a fucktonne of potatoes, the amount of soleceanae alkaloids in the skin is mininal, especially after cooking.

>potato peel
>poisonous

It actually is.

You should cook potatoes with peel on even if you intend to use them for mash potatoes. Remove the peel after cooking, but while cooking it'll prevent the potato from absorbing too much liquid. If you can you should steam the potatoes for mash, anyway. And then mash them in the pot so they lose excess water in the process. Putting aside usual butter and milk for smoothness you should stain the mash through a fine strainer. It's couple of extra steps but it's also how you get THE perfect mashed potatoes more akin to potato paste with no lumps.

You forgot to mention about measuring spoons.
Those too are a thing and not random sizes like regular spoons.

>some innate sense of sanctity associated with potatoes.

Most of the vitamins and minerals of potatoes are in a thin layer below the peel so doing it that way just leaves you with pure starch.

I'm pretty sure Japs have native pastries. Couple of them, at least. Or at least their own versions of every other under the sun.

Better stop using toothpaste then because of fluoride.

This is not how Japanese slice potatoes, this is how worst girl slices potatoes.

THICC

>nightshade family
>green, growing plant parts not containing toxic alkaloid
It's only a concern in domestic potatoes if the peel underneath is green, meaning the potato is sprouting. Wild potatoes can kill, however

>Peeling potatoes is a bitch

You don't know shit until you've worked as apprentice chef and had to make a barrel-worth of this.

Why?

>Sup Forums turns /ck/

Better than expected. Reminds me of Shokugeki days.

>teaspoons and cups means jack shit if we don't have the exact same spoons and cups.

Except those are actual standardized and defined measurements.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_weights_and_measures

This is a standard Japanese school lunch.

>milk
>weight
>actually thinks cooking measurements are literally measured using whatever teaspoons and cups you have

You're dumber than Americans.

>that fin
That's one ambitious fish.

I can't tell if you successfully baited everyone or if you're genuinely retarded.

I don't know about school lunches, but it seems like the traditional breakfast the various hotels and inns there would serve me.

Thanks for the cooking tips user

>Japs have native pastries

They're all some kind of rice base with red bean paste. Prove me wrong.

Peeling steamed potatoes can be a way bigger pain in the ass than peeling raw ones, though.