A third of the anime that aired from 1963 to 1978 in Japan, aired in Italy

>A third of the anime that aired from 1963 to 1978 in Japan, aired in Italy
>In Japan more US Animation aired (or has aired), than Anime has in the United States

How come Anime became globalized so wierdly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Wh6c733wqc
youtube.com/watch?v=BUv8qQlRCog
youtube.com/watch?v=LuDZqBQ9gnE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Japan and Italy are on the same land mass so obviously they accepted it faster

That does not explain why US Cartoons play a bigger role in Japan Television than Anime has on US Television.

It's wierd. You would think Anime would be attractive to US Stations, because it's cheap. But appearently Japan is more open to imports, Looney Tunes and Hannah Barbera were popular in Japan.

Why is that weird? It's not a two way street, just because they like cartoons doesn't mean America has to like anime.

Anime's rights were very cheap back then, Europe was more relaxed with the censorship than USA and finally Japan was more interested on foreign cultures so the Japanese cartoons were more accesible to a foreign audience. After the lost decade, Japan has retrained to itself and lost interest in the rest of the world so the cartoons are only appealing to hardcore weeaboos

Did America not like Astro Boy, Speed Racer and all that stuff from the sixties?

I would go as far that they more popular than Hannah Barbera.

you would be wrong, all this stuff is more popular now, not then.

>more popular than Hannah Barbera.
nah brah anime couldnt even compete with hong kong phooey or catch that pigeon

Wasn't Speed Racer one of the first cartoons to make it on TV Guide?

Murrika hates anything not Murrikan
Other countries are much more open.

A fun fact is that most people in Europe thought that the Anime shown was american made.

I did as well, I "knew" china had some sort of significance but I didn't know what.
I remember a kid bringing in a Yugioh card once and we all amazed because he had the "chinese" version.
I kinda thought of it was some company that did it and just had a unique style
Interestingly despite being hugely outnumbered anime had always been the biggest show at my school, Even fucking Cubix (which was Korean)

The Lost Decade changed everything.

Or even Scrappy-Doo.

No one thought that when the fucking openings were all chock full of "chinese letters"

Where was that?

Every anime ever that aired in my country in the 90s

Which country?

Siestaland

youtube.com/watch?v=8Wh6c733wqc

youtube.com/watch?v=BUv8qQlRCog

Wish UK wasn't so shit scared of something being not American/English.
I wonder if more non-English countries were exposed to more foreign stuff we wouldn't think the world revolves around America.

Nobody cares about murrica in the rest of europe man its either hate or indifference people have a stronger opinion of china of all things, you brits need to stop sucking that US dong. You have bigger problems anyways.

>you brits need to stop sucking that US dong.
We know.

Didn't Spain buy from France (AB Distrubutions) or Italy (Mediaset).

Those people didn't understand shit like Speed Racer was even from Japan. My mom loved that show as a kid and literally didn't know until I told her last year that it's a Japanese anime.

Probably, does it matter?

youtube.com/watch?v=LuDZqBQ9gnE

But the broadcasters did.

I doubt the few people that did even cared, back then it wasn't "We want this show because it's Japanese", it was because it was popular over there and they wanted a slice of the pie. Old US broadcast anime can't even be considered the same thing with all the nonsensical changes they make, the point was essentially to take a popular show no one in the West knew about, and make them think it was American through all the localization and script changes.

There were alot of anime that were not about Japan that were very popular. Like Anne of the Green Gables.

The US is a far bigger exporter of entertainment than importer. The only places that really made pop culture the last few decades were the US and Japan so it makes sense that Europe, which has no pop culture of its own, imported from these two countries. Funnily enough the US and Japan were also the two biggest economies, but things have changed.

The first anime I ever watched was Jungle Book Shonen Mowgli. I had no clue it was from Japan, obviously. Dubbers just imported these shows because they thought would find an audience, not because they were specifically "anime" and "from Japan".

Read the post again, these shows were brought over specifically because they didn't have to do shit besides make an English dub and change some scenes around, not because they were from Japan or because they were anime. If any other country at the time had been producing animated shows at a rate like Japan, US broadcasters would have gone to them instead.

>which has no pop culture of its own
Thats what murricans actually believe?

Same here; my redneck uncle who knows piddly about anime mentioned how much he and his friends liked it when they were younger.

Well only seniors care about the locally produced 'pop culture' here, anyway. Anyone under 30 grew up watching and listening to imported stuff.

At least that's how things are in Germany. Some countries could hug their own productions to death, no matter how much they such, though.