'Stupidly politically correct society is the death of comedy', warns veteran comedian Mel Brooks

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/21/stupidly-politically-correct-society-death-comedy-warns-veteran/

>Brooks, known for his plethora of acclaimed comedy movies, said political correctness was becoming a stranglehold on comedians.

>"It's not good for comedy. Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks," he said.

>"Comedy is the lecherous little elf whispering in the king's ear, always telling the truth about human behaviour."

>The producer and director said that his iconic western parody Blazing Saddles could not be made in today's political climate.

>Brooks said it was the racial prejudice portrayed within the film that was the mechanism behind its cultural significance.

>"Without that the movie would not have had nearly the significance, the force, the dynamism and the stakes that were contained in it,” he said.

Ironic since he's famously affirmed the notion of Comedy being more effective than Rhetoric, which has killed political debate for so long. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rZfpGDaTaos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mel Brooks made some genuinely funny movies. I just made the argument to a friend that Blazing Saddles could not be made today. My friend was a young Republican when I was an anarchist punk lefty. He's now a mainstream lefty and I'm basically an authoritarian. It's just odd to me that in this argument that an authoritarian was mourning the loss of freedom of expression and what passes for a mainstream liberal took the position "why do you need to offend to be funny". This country is so fucked up right now. I agree with Brooks and miss his honest brand of comedy. The world was so much better when people would quote Spaceballs instead of whatever shit Will Ferrel movie is out right now.

People quote Will Ferrell movies?

Don't quote me, nigger.

Shake and bake

Dear baby jesus

Shut up chip or I'll go ape shit on yer ass

This wedding is horse shit

i hate carl reiner

When in Rome . .

You aint first you're last

Amen, Brother!! I personally am on a quest to MAFA
Make America Funny Again
Fuck that crybaby shit.

Moment of honesty... my dog is named Ricky Bobby

>The director said he could find comedy in almost everything but conceded there were areas even he would not mine for material.
>"I personally would never touch gas chambers or the death of children or Jews at the hands of the Nazis," he told the BBC's Radio 4's Today programme.
>"Everything else is ok."

As long as he accepts that others might try and find humor in that I don't mind it. As otherwise it's not really honest "Comedy should have no limits" but rather "I want my limits instead of theirs".

But he's right, look at how a lot of comedians today are just propagandists and political activists, not comedians.

This old kike is right.

>mainstream liberal took the position "why do you need to offend to be funny"

Is this a pisstake? After literally decades of celebrating comedians that had edge and stuck it to the man, to religion, to convention, to tradition, now an average lefty will take the position held by stodgy religious conservatives just 20 years ago?

>Hurr durr you can't make fun of Jesus, because he was the perfect man!

This was supposed to be what lefties were against?

On another note comedy that's completely inoffensive is the kind we make for kids. It's puns and knock knock jokes and fart jokes. I'm not saying you can't enjoy it, it's just never been regarded as quality comedy. In fact we see the left denigrate the right for using inoffensive or low brow comedy even today.

I'm not sure they even know what the fuck they're advocating at this stage.

If a comedian feels the need to be politically correct for fear of backlash or to maintain an audience then it's 100% chance they were never funny in the first place.

People like Doug Stanhope won't pander to their bullshit and will say what they want because they're real comedians.

I actually hear a surprising amount of liberals expressing this view. But then they turn around and talk about how important it is that Hillary get elected. I'm not sure how they can reconcile the two in their brain.

Mel gets saved from the chambers.
Too funny.
Larry David & Jerry Seinfeld too.
We just castrate them

Hi Gavin

Could this even be made today? In just 30 years we went from laughing at the idea of a black man in Middle England to people unironically claiming blacks were always in England and being cast dramatically as fucking Lancelot.
Fuck this gay Earth.

What Sup Forums, the alt-right and Trump had that all the Media, Hillary and the SJWs didnt have was laughter. Sure, they had a few titters, but it was all irecognizethatrefrence.bmp, while we have epic amounts of KeK. Hilldawg will never be as funny as Pepe.

>mel brooks is still alive
wow

sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup? sup?

>It's good to be the king!
What would the outrage be like if this gag was made today?

Also post some of your favorite Mels

degeneracy aside, i kinda hope brazzers does a high-production value version of that human chess rape

>emperor of the jews tells goyim to stop being so stuck up
/ourkike/

i hate the writers on that website so much

Milk was a bad choice

>"It's not good for comedy. Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks," he said.
This is what made South Park funny and popular. It's also why it's dying a slow death.

>It's also why it's dying a slow death.
i dont' think so

here ya go

youtube.com/watch?v=rZfpGDaTaos

As a leftist I couldn't agree more. Comedy needs to be offensive and to be perceived as dangerous by the élite. That's also why good comedians are shunned by their peers. Mel Brooks is that funny because even in his less political movies he tried to be moderately offensive while appealing to everybody.

I told you. I told you Darlene if I caught that blue gum nigger around you again I'd kill you both. Gator gonna kill a bitch.