Girls und Panzer

Are Panzers /m/?

What did you all think of the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nFLA-qjsNQc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is there any point to this show? As far as I know, the girls are just high school lolis who play tank games as a past time. There's no urgency to the plot, and nothing happens. They might as well play baseball.

Because tank battles are exciting to watch and provide a better alternative to mind-numbing baseball drivel.

Also there's plenty enough urgency, at least in the actual tourney itself, because it turns they're kind of sort of fighting to keep their school running.

>There's no urgency to the plot, and nothing happens.

I think having your hometown literally destroyed is quite an urgent issue.

>They might as well play baseball.

Baseball players can't throw 75mm shells at many times the speed of sound.

>As far as I know
Well you don't, because you didn't watch the show.

The show and movie follows a "win at tanks and save the school" plot.

Besides, it's like you've never watched a sports anime.

>The show and movie follows a "win at tanks and save the school" plot.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake me up when they make a tank show about something cool like a war or something.

As long as the tanks are slugging it out, why does it matter WHY they're slugging?

>why does it matter WHY they're slugging?

Yes it does. If it's not about anything you're just watching people run in circles. I want to get involved in the plot, setting and universe. A glorified sports anime isn't going to have much emotional impact for me.

ok

The movie was great 10/10 anime of the year. Chovy was da real mvp. Now fuck off to Sup Forums for not /m/

Have you never seen a sports movie? They play to save their school, their home, from shutting down. It works because you get attatched to the characters. They're not deep, but they're likable. It's all about friendship and teamwork and sportsmanship. It's remarkably sincere which is why I love it.

>It works because you get attatched to the characters.

Moe-blob #4656?

>tanks are mecha
>mecha is not /m/

You know, maybe you could exert some effort and actually bother to watch this, as opposed to being a stroppy child because it's not like Fury.

Action-packed

Why does anime cgi look so choppy? Western animation that incorporates cgi doesn't look so choppy.

Post crazyfinns.webm next

Movie spoiler

Eh, if he doesn't want to watch it, then it's his problem.

I personally enjoyed the movie & the series, but /m/ really isn't the place, asides from the giga-sized carriers, in spite of the sporadic tank threads.

>Self-Loading
I call bullshit

They cheated, in a way.

Under normal circumstances that thing wasn't supposed to be approved for use./spoiler]

to be honest I'm okay with them using it but what sets me off is that the autoloader is there making it have literally 0 reload-time-drawbacks

Well, the whole match was rigged against them in the first place so yeah.

Skycancer

So was I supposed to know who the Finns were?

Im still suprised that no one died at that shot. It's basically a battleship caliber turret and it only ended up flipping some tanks. It's like a level 100 gyarados firing hyper beam at a level 5 pidgey only ending up being fainted by the shot

They were mentioned in the Anzio OVA to have gave even Kuromorimine trouble in matches.

Other than that, no.

The information for them that some user translated mentioned their match with Kuromorimine in the championship.
>The best the Finns had were PzIV, StuG, and 2 T-34s
>Everything else is stuff like the BT-7
>Flag is BT-42
>They charged at Kuromorimine's tanks while under long range fire from them
>With their mad driving skills, they managed to close the distance and take out the scout PzIII and 2 Panthers, putting up a good fight even with their relatively shit tanks

Carbon coating.

Not him, but I also haven't watched it yet and that's a little bullshit. You don't destroy an entire town just because a school team loses or even because the school is gone. That'd be like destroying Townsville, Alabama because they lost at basketball or something. Its pure idiocy. I haven't watched much sports anime, but to use a relevant example, I liked GBF because Sei's ultimate goal was both personal and realistic, to surpass his dad because his dad was cool. There was no big conspiracy to make a given guy lose or shut down his school, no leaps in logic lime an entire town being wiped outing he lost - just him not living up to a standard.

The crazy came later in a guy looking to rig the results out a paranoia about meeting a guy who neither knows nor cares about him.

Is the plot here as dumb as it sounds?

Note: I'm not saying the show is bad because it has such a plot, because action, characters and so on can absolutely make up for a cliché or silly plot hook - a story can even rise above such clichés. Star Wars being a well known example if rising above cliché. I'm just asking if the plot hook is as bad as it comes across in that pic.

>You don't destroy an entire town just because a school team loses or even because the school is gone.

This is their school and town.

The school was the town. The school had no funding and needed something to attract students. Being known as the senshado champions brings prestige to the school and hence cash. It requires a few stretches in logic, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for it. What's important is that it creates drama. Miho has the weight of the school on her shoulders in the tournament, and she also has to live up to her family name.

Finland is crazy man, they even had that one guy who disabled a tank with a crowbar

The school is not on land.

Their carrier is also not that big when you see the carriers the other schools have.

I'm still surprised St. Gloriana's carrier didn't have a fucking replica of Big Ben on it or something

I'm aware. The town still exists even if it's on a battleship. And it still has a council and funds itself to a large degree.

The impression I'd got was that the school was on a battleship, not that the whole battleship was a school. That entire thing being just a school is even more ridiculous.

They are scrapping the fucking carrier because its costly as fuck, user. Not just the school, everything on it, even the town, is to be scrapped.

I like to imagine that GuP is set in an alternate universe where the GFC never happened and the goverment started funding retarded ideas like carrier schools just because they could.

GuP is an alternate universe.

They're not a navy though user, their cost isn't being paid by someone else. They might get subsidy on roads and hulls and so on from their government but they'll still be paying a lot of their own upkeep. And there'll be thousands of other such townships who'll be in the same berth, because that's how towns work. Even if they're on a ship.

I don't care.

It's an another "cute girls and object" show. So if you don't like that formula or it's components, you'll probably fall asleep while watching.

That scale is ridiculous. Is that supposed to be trees and buildings? Do they know how big carriers and battleships actually are?

For example, the Aircraft Carrier USS John C. Stennis is 332.8 m long. Could you fit a whole city in 332.8 meters?!

They built bigger boats

I think my favourite part of GuP is the weird background shit, like the ships run by children, schools teaching ninjutsu and the fact that the tank sport uses live fucking shells.

I feel like nobody in the GuP universe has ever died in a war. The atom bomb probably just made Hiroshima uncomfortably hot.

You could fit 50 real aircraft Carriers into one of those things! What propells it? What prevents it from sinking?

Even at 7.6 km, I don't' buy the scale. Trees, buildings, etc seem to small.

They borrowed some minovsky particles from UC or something.

Carbon Coating

Silly user Carbon is for the tanks not the boats

I'm not even an engineer and I can tell you how stupid those dimensions are.

That's also what they says about giant robots.

> What keeps it afloat?

Buoyancy. It's not even a stretch. Nature has floating islands over 10 miles long that have no support and just float because they're buoyant. An artificial one that's smaller is fine.

please, please stop trying to justify this horseshit. Just say it's magic and be done with it.

You not liking something doesn't make it horseshit user. It's engine might be horseshit, but it floating absolutely isn't. It's not like there aren't man made floating islands miles long and weighing thousands of tonnes in reality. They don't move, but they do float. And that's all I was addressing since it was a separate question.

You could get a decent sized town with the space available on a Nimitz, I'd argue. Hell the population density could turn out comparable to that of a city's for all I know.

I mean, by the nature of their mission an aircraft carrier, especially a Nimitz-class USN supercarrier, you're looking at a mobile airport staffed with the personnel needed to coordinate traffic, serve as the traffic, maintain the traffic, maintain the personnel, and so on and so forth. It's essentially a small town on the sea, up to and including an on-board convenience store.

6500 people on board. Someone can crunch the numbers. And that's just for the carrier, if you expand to include the whole carrier strike group things might get a bit more interesting (or cramped).

Its the carrier that is costly, not the town.

Funding the operation of carriers of that size is not something any town can do.
As of now we know that GuP!Japan has 18 school carriers, assuming they are funded by the country, the town need to be able to put out at least 1/18 of the national budget allocated to keeping the carriers running if they want keep the carrier running by themselves.

Look at the cost of running our more appropriately sized carriers.
>it cost $7 million per day to operate the newest class of US Aircraft Carriers, the Gerald R. Ford Class
Look at the size of those monsters.

Towns don't fund themselves in reality either. They get government subsidy and help on plenty of things and fund what they can themselves. If the government isn't willing or able to fund the costs then they become dilapidated, not scrapped.

Der Plural von Panzer ist Panzer, du Mogoloide.

This anime is so stupid i want to blow my head off like Hitler

I thought he Cyanide Pill'd.

How is it stupid? I want to hear your opinion.

Because it's not gritty and realistic tank warfare.

Didn't you get the memo from the last guy?

nope Eva was the one who took the cyanide

The Finns are insane.

Moeshit: IN TANKS: THE MOVIE

The Fury Road of anime
youtube.com/watch?v=nFLA-qjsNQc

Soviet soldier Ivan Sereda have captured a tank with four crewmembers just using a tent, an axe and a rifle.

Why do the tanks in this animus not behave like tanks in real life?

It was a university town. If you shut down A&M college station would be a ghost town, same shit.

its a kids show about cute girls driving tanks, its not supposed to be taken so seriously.

Same way mecha can dance, rules of cool.

People would still have the choice to live there though. And colleges are much different to high schools in both size and community importance. Even if something vital to a town's identity is gone the town remains and some, though not many recover by gaining a new identity.

The rest, people have a choice to stay or leave at their decision, which is a big one, since it often means breaking ties with a lot of stuff and uprooting lives they've spent time building. Putting that decision on a school competition's results is bad drama in my opinion, and you're better off putting something reasonable upon them instead, since the town thing is very unlikely to be explored anyways.

Because camping is the IRL meta.

Real world tanks/battleships/fighter jets are /k/.

>Putting that decision on a school competition's results is bad drama in my opinion
They actually went with the scrapping plans early on in the TV series.

Then they negotiated to a verbal agreement that if they won the high school championship(In the sport that the nation is working towards getting good at because world championship soon), they won't get the carrier scrapped. They went on to win the championship.

But then the ministry cunt abused the fact that they didn't get that agreement down on paper to do so anyway, and that pissed off not just them, but also the big shots in charge of said sport.
Then the big shots came in and negotiated with them, which led to the match to determine the carrier's fate for real.

>best /m/ anime of 2016

10/10 best movie of the year.

I don't think that's taking advantage of it dramatically. I'd consider that more having the actual town involved, what they're doing regarding it, what they think of such an outrageous situation, how they support the girls, whether they try anything else and so on. Which I don't think there's room to properly explore in a show focused on sports instead. Which is why I think it's bad drama.

>battleship

It's exactly what I expected from the movie. The show, but bigger and more over the top.
In other words, great.

Though there's a few things that I found kinda jarring. The scene where they act like all of Pravda's dying like a real war movie is a bit too cheesy when you know nobody ever gets hurt in those matches, the scene with the bear in the final battle is dumb, and there was no real need to make the bureaucrat guy a goddamn supervillain. But other than that the movie was enjoyable as fuck.

Looking at the stuff about the school carriers in the OVA, they certainly did some thinking and came up with a rather interesting setting.

One thing to note is that the schools are the main point of the carriers, the whole carrier is a "school" in a way.
>School carriers are used to foster a sense of independence among the students
>Crewed entirely by students from the naval studies, the crew don't have to pay their school fees
>There is a long history of the use of school carriers(or ships similar in concept), even back to roman times, in their world
>The first school carrier as they know it was privately funded, and the students from it performed exceptionally well
>After that they started shitting out school carriers
>The construction of the carriers also helped the heavy industries
>Multiple sources of power apart from the propulsion
>Farms and water purification on the lower levels
>Town is on the surface because its agreed to be not a good idea to not see the sky for an extended period of time

>Ooarai's carrier has 30000 people living on it, large carriers can have up to 100000 people

Sisu gets shit done.

You know what GuP needs?

Horrifying psychological trauma.

You've got that in the show already

The movie was exactly what I expected 10/10. Season 2 when?

I really didnt like Miss lolicon pandering.

Is this the greatest doujin ever created?

>Lifting lines from Der Untergang

And no, it's pretty silly.

Luckily garupan have great tank canon sound effect to wake you up.

The school is the town
All the town is involved because a large portion of the student body bands together to compete
How can you say something is bad drama when you haven't even watched a single episode of it (assuming you're the same user from earlier)

Meh. Got over my trauma in 3 months, could've been worse.

It's not even traumatizing, it's farcical.

>Here, let's take a bright, cheerful show about girls doing sports with tanks and turn it into a morbid, hopeless war where the Russian stand-ins have mass graves for no reason, Katyusha is a psychopath who has to get put down by Nonna because whatever, the German stand-ins have labor camps and gun down prisoners because lolNazis, and endearing characters are mercilessly gunned down while trying to run away from their stricken tank or burned alive as they desperately try to pull themselves out of their burning coffin

Whoever made it obviously decided to make something stupidly edgy to compensate for personal problems.

It's traumatising for me to see the characters that I love butchered into pieces of meat.

Heard that author made them because she wants reader to feel guilty for liking garupan characters. Got it from /ak/ so I don't know if its true or not.

That guy's whole gimmick is he takes a grimdark piece of other media and then combines it with some anime. Should check out his Strike Witches/Full Metal Jacket crossover.

And adds in humiliating exhibitionist sex.

>HOW CAN A STORY BE GOOD IF SHALLOW CHARACTERS AREN'T DYING HORRIFIC DEATHS LEFT AND RIGHT??
I hate what Thundercunt has done to thia board.

As someone who hasn't watch the show, but knows a little about tanks, how are tanks like the Type 89 useful? I see it is in the show, but it's alongside Tigers and Churchills

Can it penetrate any of the enemy tanks or does it have a PLOT gun?

I don't think the '89 is directly responsible for many or any eliminations in the show, but it has a part to play in a lot of diversion and teamplay efforts.