If you could only have one would you rather have: great Story or great Animation?

great animation because anime stories already suck enough

Great animation because if I wanted story I'd just read a fucking book

Great animation

Great story because there are too many pretty series that suck balls because of shit plot and execution.

Id rather have sucky anime and a great story that is the definition of Evangelion

Animation because anime almost never have great stories anyway. The best anime have simple yet well executed ones.

story, kyoani it's the example of shit even with good animation

Of course great animation. The main reason that I watch anime is because I like seeing cute 2D girls animated and voiced.
Anime has always been a mediocre (or terrible) storytelling medium, I never expect much anyway.

yep,this is why kyoani is recognized as best studio

>The best anime have simple yet well executed ones
>have simple yet well executed ones
So the best have a good story? yet you want good animation?
A good story doesn't have to be on par with The Recognitions in terms of how complicated it is to dissect.
That said, the recognitions or JR anime when?

fuck

/thread

Eva has fucking gorgeous animation you immense mongoloid.

Depends on the subject. Most anime are adaptions, so it's easy to assume how money and effort will be allocated. Anime originals are almost always a showcase with little or possibly no focus on a particular plot (i.e. any animator expo thing or little independent shorts).

It depends on the content.

Well that depends a lot on what the characters are actually animated doing.

Assuming the art itself is good, story.

Great animation is pointless if the story isn't giving me any reasons to care about what's happening.

Great story.

Otherwise you get shit like Phantom World and that sucked ass.

id rather have shitty anime art is art man you all just don't understand

Phantom World was a completely acceptable show. It's nothing special but if someone is interested there's basically no reason not to watch it.

It was fun but then I realized nothing really happened and I'm not sure why they bothered to publish the LN

Came here to post this.

books can be shitty too user

As long as the show is actually entertaining and not some Kyoani snorefest devoid of anything at all, great animation.

Great animation because once I know a story there's no point in watching it again but with good animation I always enjoy it

Story.

Why are you posting konosuba then if it doesn't have either

Ebin

Animation obviously

I even watch animator films no one gives a shit about because I like it so much.

Story always trumps. The story is what invests the viewer. Im not gonna give a shit because it's pretty if the characters and plot aren't engaging

>nothing really happened
shitposters keep posting this, but what exactly means "something happening" for you? It had monsters, it had action, it had threat, it had comedy, it had light hearted and dark moments. Every episode, something very different happens. How at all does that classify as "nothing happens"?

I might care enough to watch animation in a movie or something if it's really good, even if the story is shit. But yeah, I'm not going to watch a week-to-week show for the animation alone.

Both.

You said it yourself. Characters AND plot. If the plot is too shitty, you're scratching your head. If the characters are shitty then its hard to care. If the animation is too awful, then its really a matter of tolerance.
Substance wins out over style when you're paying attention. Kabaneri is the only series I can think of now where style is trumping substance and thats just because its pretty enough and the characters aren't annoying enough to get in the way of the other shit.
konosuba is for retards like me

A great soundtrack, obviously.

Animation