Prison Reform in the U.S

What would be a feasible way to begin a campaign to reform our prison system so that every inmate stays in solitary confinement for the duration of their sentencing?

I think that would be a much better deterrent for repeat offenders. No more prison gangs, no more riots, it's just a prisoner sitting in a room they can't come out of for however long they've been sentenced. Zero connection with the outside world.

Thoughts? I'm open and willing for discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_State_Penitentiary
nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503426&objectid=11424381
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They would all commit sudoku in the first year.

I still have yet to hear a problem user...

>hasn’t studied the history of penology or visited the Penn State Penitentiary
It’s been tried before. It’s too expensive desu.

Might as well hang them and save some money on psychiatric hospital bill.

In America you kill people who commit murder. It doesn't stop murder from happening.
Hell in America you lock someone up for 20 years for smoking a joint but that doesn't stop people from smoking joints.

Harsh punishments have never stopped criminals from committing crimes. Regardless of how minor or major the crime is.

the us could do alot better with its prisons if it just euthanized all the violent criminals and repeat offenders , i usually dont support the death penalty but like 98% of them would be black so........

Strict, consistent punishments are a necessity to maintaining order in a civilized society user.

I am not saying that this idea will stop all crime, that's retarded. I am saying it could lower the very high percentage of repeat offenders we have in our prison system.

link? I honestly want to learn. How in the world is it more expensive???

You need to brainwash prisoners who commit intense crimes, that is the only other alternative besides hanging them or making them rot for life. After that, they can either go back to the world (under conditions) or make them live in their own far-away communities, where they pose no real harm to anyone but can still build up their own lives away from anyone else.

stop gays

euthanasia? No.

chemical castration? YES YES YES

That sounds very expensive user. I know that they do this already for sex offenders and pedos, but to extend that to every violent criminal just sounds like too much money.

We dont kill people, that shit takes years. Lets go back to public hangings and see how fast shit straightens up.

Would like to hear more. How are tiny cells prisoners cant kill eachother and deal drugs and send orders more expensive? Seems like it would cut cost.

I spent 6 months in solitary and I enjoyed it, I hated sharing a cell and mingling with scum in my pod

This

If you've ever been locked down you would know it's literal torture.
People who do extended periods of time in solitary rarely come out on the other side better off than when they went in.

If the goal is a major deterrent just start giving the death penalty out for even minor crimes like they do in Japan. You can possibly get the death sentence for having a joint in Japan. There's no teenage weed epidemic in Japan either.

What did you do?

Repeal the eighth amendment.

you make me fucking sick

If you really wanted to stop repeat offenders, you'd stop prison from completely fucking up someones life. Someone who spends 6 months in prison is still being punished for their crime 6 years later.

If you're going to keep punishing people even after their punishment has suppose to have ended, of course you're going to drive people back into crime.

A cross between Norway and US.

Shorter sentences, with a strong focus on rehabilitation and education. But sentences from the start. Break into a car to steal a phone at age 16? Go to jail for a month, spend 8 h a day in classes on how to be a better citizen. This is up to and including 1st degree murder (20 year max).

But once it is beyond 1st degree murder, i.e. murder and rape just execute them.

Also if you want to reduce repeat offender rate once they leave the Norwegian system is bwtter. But there is no punishment involved in their system. Their system is all about rehabilitation and reeducation.

To end up in solitary or to get imprisoned

The prison does fuck up a person's life user, you are correct about that. But it's the interactions with other inmates that cause those fuck-ups! Complete isolation removes that risk!

>muh feelings

keeping a 20-something year old man in prison for life is also expensive. I would much rather brainwash/'re-educate' the ones who have any semblance of good, and give them a second chance at life- somewhere away, desolate and controlled.

Both I suppose

Agree with this completley

how long until anders brevek gets out? does he say what he's going to do when he gets out?

Solitary was because I kept refusing orders from screws, I ended up in prison for stabbing someone

>What would be a feasible way to begin a campaign to reform our prison system so that every inmate stays in solitary confinement for the duration of their sentencing?
Escape from L.A. .
anyone have the "Death to Antifa" Judge Dredd movie poster png/jpg image?

You are literally rehashing the 17th and 18th century revolution in penology. Penn State was built by Benjamin Franklin and friends to isolate each prisoner totally and to reform their soul. It literally got too expensive because you have to make living quarters for each prisoner and design eating, exercise, etc to be solitary. Versus cram everyone together and save space and feed them in mess halls.

Read Discipline and Punish by Foucault; And en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_State_Penitentiary

He's not getting out, and the Hells Angels said they would kill him. Pretty sure some old guy would shoot him if he was released.

Be very, very careful for advocating things like "muh stricter sentences, muh death penalty" when you live in a ZOG that is rapidly being taken over more and more by Jews. It won't be used on the niggers you think-- it will be used on YOU for "hate speech/racism."

complete isolation also destroys their psyche. What they need is not to stop interaction with anyone, but to cut off/minimize interaction with more violent sects of the prison, and to maximize their time in reeducation programs, like the Norwegian user said. There's no point in aggressive punishment if after a few years he will come out and be even more violent.

True my Viking comrad, my country's prison system doesn't do shit when it comes to rehabilitating prisoners. It seems punishment is the focus rather than teaching.

why would you ever do this to someone its on the same level as torture and far far worse and more expensive than just killing them and being done with it. if your some sick fuck who actually thinks this is a reasonable thought you should get your fucking head checked.

was it a gook m8?

It's expensive because prisoners are ingenious at finding ways to communicate with each other. The amount of supervision and maintenance for supermax for instance is extremely intense. Round the clock guards, high tech cctv, specially designed cells, equipment and weapons, and so on. Guards themselves can often be corrupt. Most of our own prisons have tons of drugs and weapons floating around in circulation. Criminals gonna commit crimes.

t-tpbp

Half cast Abo

>Hells Angels said they would kill him
why? link?

I think you are mistaking Japan for Iran, user.

>the Hells Angels said they would kill him
What tough guys. Yet they wouldn't touch a fucking sandnigger since the Jews would have their ass too, and this despite prisons there being better than a fucking college dorm here. Don't make me laugh about Norwegian "hell's angels" big bad threats. They're cuckolds and so are you.

I wonder if the yanks also call them screws I know the brits do.

But that was in the 18th century user, we have cheaper, more effective means of constructing prisons now. It would be cheaper to remove the massive space and just keep everyone in a confined cell.

Prisoners would still be fed and could exercise in their small space. It still seems like a more cost effective system than what we have now.

make prisoner labour camps this way these scum can be of use to society also harvest the organs of dead inmates

Nice, I can see that was likely justified. The half casts can be a real problem.

Just bring back chain gangs. Prisons should just be the place criminals sleep. The day should be spent out in uniform doing hard labor, with bomb collars around their neck so they only wander off if they want to kill themselves. This way a country can have year-round infrastructure projects too at a much lower cost (like border walls).

Once they are done, they should be able to function in a variety of blue collar jobs as well.

>deal drugs
Nobody believes that the guards couldn’t stop this if they wanted. They are in on it.

People need to realize that police are mostly LARpers who don’t want to work too hard and want to collect the sweet public pension.

>more expensive
Eastern State (a historical famous prison built in 1776) isolated each prisoner in a cell, all of which had separate small gardens, and feeding slots for meals to be slid in. The prison got full and they had to choose whether to build another one or to out two prisoners in each cell, and so on and on... by the 1930s, it was a regular prison with a bunch of prisoners in cells and messhalls and prisoners hanging out playing cards with guards or stabbing each other over disputes....

i thought it was impossible to get a life sentence in norway. did he actually kill enough people to get a life sentence or is norway afraid he will become some type of hero so they keep him locked up?

Same principle applies, except that modern prisons are more expensive to build. You will get to a point where you either build a new prison or double up the inmates and triple and etc.

>There's no point in aggressive punishment if after a few years he will come out and be even more violent.

hmmm I see your point, I concede. This has been a wonderful thread so far and I am learning and being exposed to many different points of view!

Now on the topic of these two anons:
I've only heard of one effective form of prison labour and that was the jail that Joe Arpaio ran in Arizona. How does making an inmate work all day help reform him?

Personally, I prefer the death penalty. No repeat offenders that way.

Kek, sounds like fallout level slavery.
Also bomb collars are not an option for the yanks unless they repeal the 8th amendment

>Just bring back chain gangs
Do you want to be working on it when the Jews lock you up for "holocaust denial?" when you have a very corrupt government, (as all Western governments) you never want to give it more power. A nigger/muslim is never going to bet poor treatment since the Jews/feminists will screech about it. YOU will.

fuck them who cares about them is there to punish prisoners and make sure they be of some use to society not reform them

giving inmates explosives isent a good idea anyways , a bullet to the head will do you alot better.

Biggest problem with this is one you see in the US. because of the high rates of incarceration and the non-existant wages prisoners have paid, it has killed off manufacturing jobs almost as much as outsourcing has.

Maybe if the total population of inmates remained manageable. You can’t have a prison pop that explodes every day and have an affordable reform system with isolated inmates.

Legalize drugs, pardon a bunch of people, and maybe it’ll be possible.

Well after hearing some of the ideas discussed I would have to care a little about violent criminals who need to be taught how to behave in my society. Working them to the bone every day just sound like it would build up a ton of resentment and angst towards authority.

Prisons should have mandatory castration for people caught in the act of sodomy

Which drugs? all of them?

This. Although clever architecture and technology can make surveillance very easy.

is it possible to get a life sentence in norway?

How about we just kill the non white criminals from now on? Niggers wanna go to prison for the free food and gay sex.

I like this guy

they dont like it dont do crime and dont give me the liberal oh they are poor thing we are poor and still manage a lower crime rate

My idea for a reality TV show is a survivalist prison colony extravaganza.
>Step one identify the most entertaining prisoners in the system
>Step two find small island to put them on
>Give them tribes or teams
>Drop supplies every so often on island
>Prisoners compete for supplies and new team mates
>No rules film everything goes on indefinately

In order of rates of incarceration. Start with the memedrugs like cannabis, but also eventually decriminalize heroin and meth so that they become the health system’s problem, not the prisons.

Technically, yes. You can get an indeterminate sentence where you are up for review for release every year. Most people who have this type of sentece don't get out for a very long time though. And in the extremes they are likely to never be let out. It's quite rare though. I think only 4 or 5 people have gotten this combines with a max "normal" sentence.

Too easy to convict an innocent man to death. Rapists pedophiles and murders would obviously fall into this category and a single false rape accusation would see you dead. And poor blokes like the cunt in this report
nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503426&objectid=11424381
Would be absolutely fucked.

For the cunts too lazy to read it.
Kiwi man convicted of raping his sons and sentenced to prison. The kids were in fact being raped but not by him but by their step dad. The rapist step dad was the children support person during questioning and the trial. Under mandatory death sentencing the kiwi father would've been killed and would never have gotten to see justice against the man who was raping his children.

Tl;dr Death penalty is too extreme.

I don't know, but I don't see how sending criminals to state-run hotels (liberal dream) or pound-me-in-the-ass sociopatheth hell (third world standard) does any good for them.

The former *might* be better at reducing recidivism at the cost of shafting the victims out of vengeance, it's also expensive as shit and doesn't pay for itself. The latter just breeds harder criminals or is excessicely cruel to minor offenders.

Prison is dumb anyway. Fines (small crimes), corporal punishment (large crimes) and execution (heinous crimes) were used in the past and worked fine and didn't cost much. Prisons were just places you awaited your sentence, not a sentence in itself.

Or you could start reducing the prison population (and hit (((them))) where it hurts) by decriminalizing trivial shit like weed possession.
Now you go to prison just cause you want to get high. Prison is basically a school for criminals where you come out worse than when you went in. If you ever get out that is, because you basically have no rights once they get you.
It's a crooked system ran by crooked people commissioned by a crooked government just so they can make money.

its a waste mate make them do hard work and if they drop dead take their organs also milk them of blood every now and then if you really want to save money you can even put the dead ones in the food

user, offenders of the law have harmed the body politick, they must suffer in order to restore society to wholeness.

I'm not trying to go down the "muh feelings" route, it's a proven fact that even with strict punishments criminals gonna commit crimes. The Norwegian ITT made a point of this.

On top of a prison sentence inmates should be forced to take rehabilitation classes every day, drill it into their heads you know? It's essentially brainwashing yes, but it could (and that's a big could) help them integrate back into society.

Offer to have their sentence cut by x% if they do it in solitary.

That just means it works

That just sounds like a voluntary population cull.

You know that once the hard drugs become legal every meth-head and tweaker willl end up ODing. That sounds like a terrifying problem for our healthcare system.

i think we have a bit of a difference as to the purpose of the prison in dont care about them integrating back as far as i care they are damaged goods they can not be integrated prison is there to punish and salvage something out of it

>remove all staff
>turn off all water
>come back in 2 weeks

as i said its a waste they can still be of some value

It would require raising taxes to build more and bigger prisons which will piss off Johnny Taxpayer enough to vote out anyone who supported it.
That's why Joe Arpaio kept getting re-elected as Sheriff. He spent as little as he could to house inmates.

i want to know when anders brevek is getting out

I agree, but then why prison? Just latch the offender to a post for day and whip him until he's raw. Since most criminals are low-skulled primitives who operate on instinct and impulse I am sure the sting of the lash will be a more succesful deterrent, much like how the dog learns to fear the rolled up newspaper, through traumatic imprinting.

Prison just robs the criminal of time first and foremost, an abstract concept which they hardly grasp, and don't miss as much as a normal person.

Costs to intern a criminal is tens of thousands of dollars a year, a post and a whip are re-usable and chump change.

Probably never. He can technically be released in 2021, but that will never happen. His sentence expires in 2032, but because of the rules, his incarceration will be reviewed every year from 2021 on to see whether or not he can be released. In all likelyhood, this will never happen.

that would be okay for minor things but more hard stuff just work them to death and then take their blood and organs

Honestly that is not a Likely outcome. There is data on this question of what will happen with progressive legalization (start with decriminalizing). Portugal did it, Netherlands did it, so have other counties, the data says that people are more likely to wean off if the stigma is removed and they are given healthy access to unadulterated supply. Overall rates of incarceration, drug addiction, and drug overdoses decrease markedly.

The status quo we are in is already one of constant OD and pandemic levels of increasing drug addiction so it’s not like we have anything to lose. Muuuuh morality has zero place in this debate, it should be purely rational.

In any case, prisons are not designed to deal with biological-addictions. It should be the problem of someone else, not the prisons.

Corporal punishment has also been used by many civilizations throughout history and it worked for them.

However, most criminals grew up in homes where they were beaten or psychologically messed up, I doubt a whipping will do much to deter them from committing a crime.

yea i had a feeling he would never be released, probably because he could try to start a movement or people would look up to him as a hero. Is his life in prison very good though? here in burgerland if sum1 gets life sentence they get 22hrs in a cell(with a tv, kool aid mix, chips, etc..) and 2 hrs to eat and excersise. I have a feeling anders brevek has a cosey little dorm room with an xbox or some shit like that

Well user, the scars on their back will eventually heal and once they do, the offender might not remember their transgression. The scars on their psyche, however, will shape them into becoming a different person who cannot even fathom the concept of transgressing against society.

hmmmm, I'll look into it but it still doesn't sound quite right.

America has a huge drug addiction problem, legalizing hard drugs and giving those addicts unlimited access will only lead to their deaths. An addict is an addict period.

I do agree with your point in that it would help lower the prison population and ultimately save us money there, however I'm afraid legalizing drugs would overload our already fucked up healthcare system.

This

The deterrent is in terms of how hard is it to get away with. Consider serial rapists/killers, they don't target women who are nessecarily attractive or anything, its almost always "vulnerable" women (drug addicts, homeless, prostitutes, runaways, etc) which are indisputably the easiest women to rape and kill AND not get caught.

Now consider major dealers and traffickers or narcotics, illegal firearms, or even people. In years gone by everything they did was on paper, by phone, etc. Modern policing caught up making that particularly route risky, its being used less and less. This is because they have utilized modern technology to their trade extremely effectively (if they weren't ruining lives in the process you would truly admire it). The deep web allows them to conduct their business in the shadows in a domain where law enforcement is lagging way behind (think silk road, how long did it take the feds to bust the guy running a site, enabling cartel quantities of narcotics to be trafficked accross International borders. Sure he's totally fucked now, but he got away with it for so long.)

Brutal punishments may make us feel good, but they ultimately do not deter. Convictions are the best deterrent, like for rape a guy can be jailed for 10+ years, but if the odds he is going to serve time is

I'm not sure about the conditions where he is now, but it's not exaclty comfy. He is in maximum security. Which means most time spent in the cell apart from when you either work or are doing schoolwork. All the reports you see about the cushy norwegian prisons show off the minimun security ones which you have in the US as well. Difference is that we don't need any supermax shit here because we don't have the fucking insane gang members who desperately crave "respect" and actually want to be in prison.

A post and whip miss the point entirely. It is not the offenders’ arm or leg or backside that is the cause of their criminal behavior. The cause is the offender’s mind, their mental inner world. How to “whip” THIS raw, where it counts? The answer is clear: only by penetrating their psyche through advanced technologies of surveillance, manipulation, and discipline can we distribute the punishment effectively throughout the mind-body-spirit-community of the offender, therefore remaking him in a new image.

Or course a certain portion of deterring has to be the locking up part, but it cannot be the only part. Criminals will always think they can get away with it, unless law enfrocement rpvoes they won't with a good clear up rate.

20 years for murder and an 80% solve rate is a better deterant than 80 years for murder with a 20% solve rate

can he at least write letters to his fans?

I don't think prison is as traumatic to true criminals as it would be to you or me. If you sentence people like us to years in prison, it would hamper our lives a great deal because we probably have normal trajectories planned for ourselves; education, career, family, retirement. All of these require massive time investments, so even one year wasted in prison sets us back a great deal in terms of prospect. The average criminal has none of these things planned for himself, he is likely unable to. He commits crime to supplement his welfare, so he can have nice things without doing shit. In prison, he'll still be doing shit, and once released he can steal a handbag as soon as he's at the prison bus stop. Prison doesn't hamper him at all.

Yes. All mail is monitored though. As are all visits.