Why are British houses so small? And why are British people content to live in such tiny dwellings?

Why are British houses so small? And why are British people content to live in such tiny dwellings?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4770768/Furious-resident-smashes-holidaymakers-cars.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they aren't that small. square footage of both floors and back garden considered, they're bigger than most apartments on the continent.

Better sense of community in those. Much better than North American suburbans. Those British houses have been standing for hundreds of years, McMansions roofs leak on the 1st rainfall.

well thoses houses were originally built for coal miners as temporary housing whilst working at the mine, they were never intended as family homes

Your average Britt is content with a shed and chicken tendies

Better question, why cant yanks into building houses that last more then 30 years?

>Be England
>Invent industrial revolution
>Loads of country bumpkins move into the cities to work in factories
>Quickly construct tiny boxes for them all to live in
>Still better than living as a feudal serf
>Modern Bongs accept it as it's the only life they've ever known

Little houses, big community.

Well it once was like that. :(

Also the fuck is it woth you cunts and pnuematic nailguns? Stop using 23 differemt nails and start using paslodes. Stop being cheap cunts and use proper fuckin fasteners for your base plates.

There needs to be a housing revolution in this country. The pathetic size and astronomical price of properties is literally criminal. It's extortion, nothing more nothing less.

Urban people love their overpriced cages.
They are smarter than us.

>EVERYTHING NEEDS TO LAST FOREVER OR MY AUTISM GETS SET OFF
do you still have your favorite blankie too, spaz?

In a hole in the ground, there lived a Briton...

I grew up in a 200 year old wood house.

Too bad cunt, youve got no cheap timber anymore.

What I don't get is why they mostly have single houses instead of bigger apartment buildings, despite being on a small island. Not efficient at all.

So do something about it.

You won't, filthy peasant.

Neat? Lap framing?

I have no idea what lap framing is.

They seem rather big and comfy for worker housing tbfh

In that case it looks pretty good

holy shit this is really the width of their fucking house?

Apts are for poorfags. How can you be crammed in like sardines?
Pic related is standard family land plot.

Where the whole cunt is made of laps and mortises and shit.

I don't know if it was, I don't recall seeing the frame.

Houses that small are usually really old and only really found in towns and cities that are, or use to be industrial.
Most of them are tiny as fuck but were made to house workers, not families.

I've been in a few houses with that width that were comically long. Like 10ft wide but 100ft long.

Most houses in the UK are relatively small by US standards (we're a small island after all), but that picture is of very small houses.

Why do you need a big house?
House size is only important when you have children and you will never have any.

>200 year old
>200
Pretty sure building standards change.

Because our population density is India tier

Because we're slightly less fat than you guys.

and yet you take in 500,000 more people a year.

Nobody should be allowed to own property here unless they hold a British passport.

Stop selling our homes to foreigners to rent back to us, If Thailand can do this why can we not?

It sucks, and is one of the worst things about Britain.

Reason: class division means the upper class have always and will always treat the working class masses as disposable worker drones / cannon fodder and allow them the meagrest of livings.

Whenever your neighbour turns on the television, has a loud conversation with friends, plays music, has sex, hoovers etc you hear it. All of it.

Why do Murican houses blow away everytime it gets windy ? Why would you live in a shitty 3rd world house made of wood ?

No point building a relatively expensive brick house that'll get fucked just the same when the tornado comes knocking.

I love the charm and architecture of British cities....but you guys are completely fucked for real estate. There's like 1 functional apartment for every 10 that make no practical sense and then they're priced way above British wages because of cuck taxes.

Isn't London just owned by a bunch of foreigners that don't even live there? Take notes Canada, this is your future.

But these houses got back yard right?
These houses could be better if they at least had a front parking where you can wash your car or do stuff in it

A small house encourages you to go outside.

kek this is why you need private parking if you are going to build dense and there is already a parking problem.
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4770768/Furious-resident-smashes-holidaymakers-cars.html

We don't have the land, have mad housing regulations about where you can build and the pic you used is a type of housing but there are bigger houses in the UK you fucking retarded cunt.

Sigh....

How much room do you really need when all you're doing anyways is sitting on your ass shitposting on 4channel?

imagine if you didn't have 50% immigrants

We're one of the richest countries in the world, apparently....

Some touchy Brits in this thread but the reality is our houses are embarrassingly small. And not just the old victorian terraces. I'm pretty sure a recent study showed our new builds are amongst the smallest in the EU (can't be arsed to search for it right now).

It's not just about us being a small nation with a large population, because other nations with similar population densities managed to build houses with considerably bigger square footage (i.e. Netherlands).

The real answer is multifaceted.

1. Yes we are a small nation. But there is still a fuck load of free land just waiting to be built on. Unfortunately about 40% of the land in this country is owned by a handful of aristocrats, with lineage going back to 1066.

2. Unfortunately we built all of those fucking horrible victorian terraces, and now they're there it's hard to get rid of them and use the space more sensibly (i.e. medium rises, such as in Paris). People here generally have a massive fetish about owning a 'house' rather than a flat, which pushes a lot of city folk into these tiny little houses when with different city planning they'd have a much bigger apartment.

3. The foundations of our economy are propped up on one long, bullshit housing bubble. House prices need to keep rising beyond inflation to prop up pension funds and so on. Therefore there is not the political impetus for the house building drive that is desperately needed.

4. So many British people don't know any better, and/or are remarkably stubborn and would never want to admit that we're worse off in international comparisons. Especially northerners are content to live in their shitty little hovels in their depressing little nowhere towns and insist they're happy about it.

Their jewish overlords need the space for colored immigrants.

Anything within 30 miles of london will have insanely jacked up prices, especially if it's a nice area

That looks extremely comfy, rowhouses are the best

There are obviously larger houses depending on the location, they tend to be from newer builds.

>Implying Brits can even afford a garage space

Also a house should just cost a few hundred pounds at most.

Seriously.

It's literally just a rectangle of bricks.

yeah I've been there , each window is a tiny appartment, they literally live piled on each other , un/comfy/ AF

>I'm pretty sure a recent study showed our new builds are amongst the smallest in the EU (can't be arsed to search for it right now).
Out of all first world countries Brit housing is the smallest in the world. The amount of numales in this thread trying to defend the size of our housing is embarrassing.

I dunno, I rented a 5 bedroom house in Barnes a couple weeks ago. It wasn't small at all.