Time for a good ol' Saturday night 3x3 thread?

Time for a good ol' Saturday night 3x3 thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1VrMphX_0Pw&list=PLUeu8toEa-Vsv52psE1hnsDjl9kLe4h9g
youtube.com/watch?v=_8rkcJ5sYDI&list=PL46NnZF5rkhehGRuhnGUI0phBmYmFposP
youtube.com/watch?v=L1SxDR9XqXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=rmugdOiQUIw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As promised I made a image version of my 9x9(in the making).

This looks terrible for multiple reasons

Explain.

What is this even

1/2, dropped tora. I really need to read more manga.

>What is this even
Someone told me to make an image version of this.

And you have good tastes.

that is super tryhard

C3?

2/2 for manga, 2/5 for anime.
1/7 for Western TV, 6/8 for Western animation, 5/7 for anime, 5/5 for manga and comics, 4/7 for vidya. And stop using logos for your anime part, images would work way better. You can even just use frames from the gifs you use in your webm version and it'd look better.

You must be 18 or older to post.

What's it like enjoying things?

I have two, maybe three favourite anime. Everything else I just feel "eh" about. Whenever I try to make a 3x3 I just fill it in with whatever shows I think other people would like.

>Sunred

Rewatch K-On!

>142751901
3/5
What are top left anime and bot right manga?

The whole point of the image is that it is the titles/covers of each thing from every medium I look into.
>1/7 for Western TV
You like very little TV? Or do you just like other types of shows?

It's more like I have fun. And I have the time to do this so get off my back.

There was one up just a few hours ago

>The whole point of the image is that it is the titles/covers of each thing from every medium I look into.
Yes, but with anime that can get confusing. It took me a full minute to realise that top left was Hajime no Ippo. I don't know, maybe it was just me.

>You like very little TV?
Yes. Live action TV is literally bottom of the barrel.

Looked better with less movement

3/3 anime
4/4 anime
2/2
7/8
3/4

>7/8
So close, I think the closest I've ever gotten. What let me down? I'm betting that it'll either be KLK or DRRR.

.5 for klk and hibike

Manga.

>Hajime no Ippo
It's not even Ippo... It's Ashita no Joe. Look at the Japanese. あしたのジョー.

I missed that little dash though.

I don't speak moon. My brain finally just made the connection of that logo with a boxing manga, and I assumed it was Ippo.

Man this is some BORING taste you've got here

Stepping it up a notch

What is this?

>Yes. Live action TV is literally bottom of the barrel.
How? Babylon 5, V, Three Kingdoms, Twin Peaks, and Dekalog are pretty much on par or better then some/most anime out there. In my head Babylon 5 and LoGH are equally as good as each other. Dekalog is one of Kieslowski's best works. Twin Peaks is an artful way to demonstrate a detective mystery in that David Lynch type of way. And V is basically Fullmetal Alchemist, but in Sci-Fi. Three Kingdoms is the only thing in any video medium that did RotTK correctly. Rome was good until Season 1 ended. Breaking Bad was okay. Red Dwarf is a decent comedy. And ST: TNG was okay, but not the best Space Opera out there.
Speak moon faggot. Also all of these should be recognizable since they are all part of their openings.

Two fictional characters

Anime.

1/1 manga
3/4 - Holyland
1/1

TV shows are very prone to overall sticking to the same tired old conventions of their genres and settings, and have very boring direction in most cases. Their stories feature shallow, easy-to-grap development of archetypical characters ambling through poorly, disjointedly written narratives that hardly ever contain much if any thematic value. They are filled with tons of the same boring shots that every live action show, and plenty of animated shows, use for 90% of their scenes, don't use visual details to convey meaning well, or sometimes even at all, have just boring sound design in general, and mostly have the "bare minimum" of acting. You know what I'm talking about, where the performances are lively enough to not be called bad, but are never anything exceptional or unique.
Can't speak for Three Kingdoms or Dekalog since I've never seen them, but every other show you mentioned suffers from these problems to some degree. It's ironic that you have the least to say about Breaking Bad, since season 1 had the tightest, most thematically sound structure of any season of any show you mentioned, presented with above average acting and direction... although it was downhill from there. Season 4 was god awful.
In terms of quality, referring to live action stuff as simply cinema for conveniance, on average:
Theatrical Cinema > Theatrical Animation > Short Films > OVAs > TV Animation >>> TV Cinema

Bottom right that climbing manga?

yeh

When does it get good, I read the first two volumes and MC is unlikable.

It gets good around chapter 24 when the manga changes in tone and everything.

>Theatrical Cinema > Theatrical Animation > Short Films > OVAs > TV Animation >>> TV Cinema
Where would Mini-Series fall under? Also when I'm addressing V. I'm talking about the 1983-84 version. Not the failed TV series that sucked major ass.

I agree with you with Breaking Bad. It was great in the first 3 seasons and then it dropped itself exactly where you said. Twin Peaks doesn't really follow your archetype. It kinda strays more into the surreal then most shows. Although it carries over the Lynch storytelling which can be convoluted at times. Babylon 5 is widely different then its peers when it comes to Space Operas it takes a more bolder approach with its themes and characters then other Space Operas. Three Kingdoms is fucking great as a Political Drama, because it is a straight adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Although it misses some points. The acting is good in it as well.

Also all of your arguments of TV does not address Dekalog at all. Which is its own beast. Its concept and ideas come from the Ten Commandments. Each episode accounts each of the Commandments, but very subtle. It is standard Kieslowski if you know of his work like Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life of Veronique. He keeps his camera styles from these films and tackles a larger concept in his TV Mini-Series.
youtube.com/watch?v=1VrMphX_0Pw&list=PLUeu8toEa-Vsv52psE1hnsDjl9kLe4h9g

Skip to 4:20 and you'll see what this Polish Mini-Series directing is like.

Manga only, still looking for feedback on whether BW or color looks better.
3/4
4/6
4/6
5/6

Also Rome's first season had amazing plot advancements compared to Breaking Bad. Were getting too out of hand. Post more 3x3s.

Make a Colored version that has a similar composition as the B&W one. Make it look like a color panel.

Color looks better but you should've kept the margins.

Mini-series definitely have the benefit of being managed by small teams and being allowed creative freedoms by nature of them being financially low risk for the company that's funding them. Thus, they manage to avoid a lot of the issues that longform TV shows suffer from. I'd say they're more in the category and tier of short films/OVAs. I'll definitely have to check out Three Kingdoms and Dekalog.

Three Kingdoms is not a Mini-Series. It is closer to something like GoT or LoGH and it's length is around the same as LoGH. Albeit each episode is 45min.
youtube.com/watch?v=_8rkcJ5sYDI&list=PL46NnZF5rkhehGRuhnGUI0phBmYmFposP

And I recommend you to torrent Dekalog since it is hard to find anywhere physically or digitally.

I don't know if you've seen V: 83-84 Mini-Series either.
youtube.com/watch?v=L1SxDR9XqXQ

>Post more 3x3s.
I've been debating making a manga 3x3 for a while now, but it seems kinda pointless given how little manga I've read. The anime I chose for my anime 3x3 are clearly special, bc out of the shitton of shows, OVAs, shorts, and films I've seen, those 9 are the ones that have left the biggest impact on me, to the point that they shine above the rest in my mind. Whereas, me making a manga 3x3 would just be me picking 9 out of the only 30 or so manga that I've read, and saying "these are kinda better than the rest".

Why not make a seperate Film, OVA, and TV one? Or even do a Shorts 3x3. Manga can wait until you catch up with some good ones.

3/3 aria, sekai no monshou, angel's egg.
3/4 +NGE, +boogiepop, +haruhi, -NHK

Yeah, I guess I'll make a film one. It'll be kinda generic tho, expect Miyazaki, Oshii and Kon. They're the obvious picks, but I can't help it if I think they're the best.

Doesn't really matter. I don't get why anons take people's opinions too fucking religiously. Stop caring and just make something for fun.

Thank you I'll try changing the colored one.
I wanted to make it with volume covers since I've recently started noticing how good looking some of them are, but I guess so many different styles don't mesh well together.

It's just that the composition of the images look sterile compared to the B&W one.

Oh I see, you were talking more about the panelization in general.
Totally blanked on that, my bad.

Yes. If panelization = composition. The images are good, but having it more like a manga/comic panel is nicer then just rows of squares and rectangles.

1/1 manga
2/7 anime
1/1 tv
0/0 western movies
1.5/2 western cartoons
8/9 anime
2/2 music
2/3 manga/comics
0/0 games
6.5/7
4/7
its been a while bear/10
3.5/5 looks cute
7/8
3/3
7/8 pretty
1/1
color looks best
3/3
7/8

youtube.com/watch?v=rmugdOiQUIw

Numbers are arbitrary. Lets use some words to rate instead.

You're probably new to anime. I'm going to guess about a year and a half of dedicated watching, and maybe about half a decade or so of off and on watching. Regardless some solid picks here and your manga section is charming.

You have a lot of pseudo-intellectual choices here, but you don't necessarily come off as one through your writing. However, I appreciate your effort in making good looking 3x3s.

This one isn't as straight forward as the above two, but based on Sunred and Crest I can only assume you're an actual patrician. Good stuff.

You probably enjoy watching anime.

Sports

Probably a female

This one feels a little Sup Forums-core, but boogie pop and shirobaka give it some life.

You probably enjoy the outdoors and anime. Your favorite activity is probably watching anime outdoors.

Color almost always feels better than B&W but as others have said; the layout needs a little improvement.

8/8

7/7

>I appreciate your effort in making good looking 3x3s.
Thanks. Yours always looks like watercolors or painted. And the warm feeling I get with your 3x3 is pretty nice and pleasant.

>You have a lot of pseudo-intellectual choices
I have no idea what this means. Are you saying I pick things based on how "smart" they seem to me? That's not how I look at shows at all.

Older shows, cute girls.

Sure has been user. What's mid?
4.5/5 I think

>What's mid
LoGH

Oh
5.5/6

This looks really fucking nice. Did you add an overlay over the images? The washed out colors look fantastic all together. Or is it my imagination? Otherwise good shit.

>Franken Fran in a 9x9

You. I like you. On this day, OP was not a faggot.

thanks! can't remember the steps, but I'm pretty sure I played with the output levels and added a blue photo filter

So ive been curious for a while. Why do all the good anime that blow up usually only have one season, an open ending, then I never see it again

source on bottom left

>Are you saying I pick things based on how "smart" they seem to me?

I was trying to say that a lot of your, purely anime as I don't have much experience in live action or music, choices are notoriously liked by posters who try to pass off their taste as more "intelligent" than others. Hence the term pseudo-intellectual. I'm not trying to imply that's what you do, but I can't help but point out these shows (Yuasa, ABe, NGE, LoGH) whenever I see them.

Literally kill yourself, holy shit.

The taste in here is terrible. There's not enough K-On! and Psycho Pass

He has the most 'I want to fit in'-core taste I've ever seen. I have a feeling he's seen like 50 anime total.

Get out Digi-drone

You can stop being so insecure already Digi

ping pong is good

What does this even mean? Are you serious?

4.5/5
3/4 -Aria
4/4. I should work on my backlog.

I found the manga to be better than the anime. I found Yuasa's modernizing touches unnecessary and the arcade scene made more sense than the beach. But I might be wrong.

It means that you shouldn't like popular, acclaimed, and generally well-respected shows.

Then what's the point? You literally threw out most anime out there that anyone speaks of.

So has Digi exposed Yuasa, ABe, Dennou Coil, Katanagatari, and LotGH as the overrated, trite garbage they are?

My favorites from the thread.

Boring fucking taste

DC is great, Yuasa is ok, but Logh is painfully mediocre and the onyl good ABe show is Haibane.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Here's one of my 3x3s that's made deliberately less 3x3-core.

>Logh is painfully mediocre
How?

>Haibane over Lain
Eat shit

First genuine 3x3 I've seen so far. Good work.

Funny how it's less genuine that the one that was described as fucking boring. It's feels very wrong without Nichijou and Lain.

The checkerboard design is pretty classic. I think it's a nice way to make a good looking mosaic. I really like the 3x3 without the classic 3x3 picks it just feels more original, and originality is desperately lacking in these threads.

No worries. I'm already working on a backup 3x3 filled with shitty 70s OVAs, now that Yuasa and other classic picks have been confirmed to be shit.

Maybe I'll even get some poor fucks to watch them.

0/1 anime.
3/3 anime
1/1
3/7
2/5
5/6
2/2
1/1
3/4
3/3
Is the center left one shiki?

>trash last arc
>the first arc has bad pacing
>just because the enemy is retarded as fuck that doesn't mean you're intelligent (Yang, Reinhard, etc.)
>bad animation
>repetitive themes
>lackluster deaths (minus the more important ones)
>wants too much to represent, give too little
>gary stus
>julian
Should I continue?

If you're going to shitpost you gotta do it right.

>You're probably new to anime. I'm going to guess about a year and a half of dedicated watching, and maybe about half a decade or so of off and on watching.

I understand why you'd think that but you're actually wrong. My favorites are just often dictated by stuff I've seen more recently.
It's hard to feel the same passion for a show I watched 5 years ago, so when I see something from only 6-12 months ago that I really enjoyed, it easily takes the spot.

My manga isn't as fickle, I don't know why, just is.

Thanks though user, 6/6.

But no one is a gary stu. Everyone has the potential to fail in LoGH. What enemy? There is only one single enemy force in LoGH and they are only in the last arc of the series. Repetitive themes? I have no idea what your saying here. The show is consistent in telling you what is going on and that the world is organic. The only real repetitive theme is the theme of not repeating past mistakes. Which is a very broad concept. The lackluster deaths is subjective. There are a lot of characters that dies in the series and it really depends if you can relate to them at all if they impacted you in any way. Julian fit his role in an okay manner, nothing too stellar though. The rest are legit good criticisms though.

Sounds like your going through Alzheimer's.

I do have very poor memory, but it's not that bad.

That's strange. Usually people view things they've seen a while ago with higher regards. You know, nostalgia and everything.

4/4

2/4

4/5

6/6

2/3