Common words across languages evolved more or less without changing. Take the word "No" for example. No, non, nein...

Common words across languages evolved more or less without changing. Take the word "No" for example. No, non, nein, nyet, etc.

Does this explain why the French can't even say thank you without asking for mercy? I used to think it was a meme but I recently learned the French really do say mercy as their word for "Thanks". How did this happen? Are the French the original beta males?

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merci_(mot)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>americunt education

>belgian national sovereignty

>Anti-Americanism
one of the most low test opinions out there desu, along with Anti-Christianity, Pro-Communism, and Pro-Islam

Italians say grazie and spaniards gracias.
Do you think thanking someone has anything to do with grace?

It is related to the English word mercy.
something to do with wages, fees derived from merchandise
bribe is in the mix for both english and french version

mercy comes from merci, like 70% of english words. dumb fucking ameriblob

>Anti-Americanism
>one of the most low test opinions out there desu

wrong
being anti-american is only right thing, cuck

"Mercy" in english comes from french you retard, it's not a germanic word.
French is a romance language your uncultured swine, the only reason english have "mercy" in their vocabulary is because french ruled their asses and cucked them for 400 years straight which resulted in the current gang bang that their language is.

"Merci" comes from a family of latin words relatives to comMERCE and MERChants, the current sense you gives to "mercy" came much later.

MASSIVE faggots, you can't even imagine

whatever

I mostly feel bad for you, since you're the one who has to live with the wrong opinion while I can enjoy having the correct one

English is more of a french 1.5 than it as a germanic language

IIRC almost two thirds of it's vocabulary originate from french

>Merci (mot)
>vient étymologiquement du latin mercedem, accusatif singulier de merces qui dénote aussi bien le « salaire », la « récompense », la « solde » que « l’intérêt » ou le « rapport ».

>En bas latin, le mot s’enrichit de significations supplémentaires comme le « prix », la « faveur », et la « grâce qu’on accorde à quelqu’un en l’épargnant », d’où par extension la « rançon » payée pour le rachat d’un otage. C'est de cette dernière acception que naîtra le nom de l'Ordre de Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci.

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merci_(mot)

Merci (thanks) et La Mercie (which turned into the english word The Mercy) do have the same latin root. One means "I'm grateful" and the other means "the act of doing me a favor / sparing me in exchange of my gratefulness". But despite both coming from the same latin word, Merci doesn't come from Mercie

Make Etymology Great Again.

spot on

>"Mercy" in english comes from french you retard, it's not a germanic word
That's what I thought

Marg bar Āmrikā
Marg bar Āmrikā
Marg bar Āmrikā
Marg bar Āmrikā
Marg bar Āmrikā

Francophobic Americans who know nothing, just like always.

mfw

see

Hello Raffik, how you doin ?

Go surrender or something, Pierre lmao

Don't try witty humour, you're not english nor australian.

Don't try to be white