I'm on episode 14 of Clannad After Story, and I'm pretty sure this show counts as emotional abuse...

I'm on episode 14 of Clannad After Story, and I'm pretty sure this show counts as emotional abuse. Dizzying highs and crushing lows, and I know there's an even worse gutshot coming around the corner. Why do we subject ourselves to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

At some point, you start to question why the guy doesn't go ahead and an hero since life seems to be so determined to shit on everything he loves.

I never cry with any fiction, but episode 18 of this made me cry like a little bitch.

>Why do we subject ourselves to this?
To remind ourselves that we still capable of feeling such emotions.

That's melodrama for you. And After Story is actually pretty good at it, unlike most anime/VN stories that try to go this route.

I have an actual successful life with all its ups and downs and this fucking show is worse than a death in the family.

It's awfully contrived. The emotional impact gets severely blunted when you know exactly what's coming.

I've played the VN so none of it was a surprise AND IT STILL HURTS

Even so, the writing wasn't compelling enough-- it just took every possible twist in order to ensure maximum angst. The effect became more along the lines of a twisted irony rather than a genuine tragedy.

The only anime that hit too close to home for me.

Also, After Story is the gem after you searching through the dirt called Clannad.

All of characters got their development there.

It's funny because it's so unrealistic how impossibly bad his luck is but I still cri everytiem regardless.

Have a rare Nagisa.

FUCK IT DOESN'T STOP BEING SAD AFTER EPISODE 16

NOW I'M ON 18 AND I'M STILL CRYING

WHAT THE FUCK

>tfw no Fuuko-Tomoya OVA
>tfw no Kotomi-Tomoya OVA

itai, aside that, OVAs are 10/10, specially the Tomoyo-Tomoya

Kotomi's breakdown was emotionally devastating, the scene was quiet and somber and then that piercing fucking cry. I can still hear it when I watch that gif.

Kyou, Kotomi, and Fuuko, in that order, are the only suitable substitutes for Nagisa. The rest have very big issues.

>inb4 tomoyo fags

I liked Tomoyo a lot, but I don't like the way she threw everything away for Tomoya. I liked Yukine a lot too. Ryou is super cute but there's a reason you don't get a light from her route; there's no joy in pretending to be someone else.

>Kyou

Yep.

If only they married and take care Ushio together that would be great.

these fucking character designs make me puke

Such an ending is one I would have preferred. Bittersweet and realistic, but still happy enough. AS is still in my top 3, though.

I doubt they were going for realistic in the first place, especially when Nagisa's illness itself is magical in nature. Had her illness been realistic I would have had a lot of problems with the ending, but since the reason she died is connected to the magical world in the first place I think it's acceptable to solve magic with magic.

Tomoyo best girl

FUCK THEY KILLED HER TOO

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY SAVAGE

MY HEART IS DESTROYED

Are you watching it right now?

Yes. Just started episode 22.

Normally I wouldn't admit it since Clannad is shitposter's heaven, but AS episode 18 always gives me bitch tears. Fuck.

I thought 16 was bad, but 18 had me pausing the video because I couldn't read the subs through the tears.

I can't get into it because all the girls look like they have downs

You get used to it really quickly. They're super cute.

The dango daikazoku instrument when Nagisa dying was perfectt.

Not even the worst death, the second one was way worse IMO

I'm not a soulless monster, but I hated the Anime due to the girl that was used.
After playing the Visual Novel I generally teared up during most of the routes but Nagisa's route was so depressing that it was hard to cry, on top of that she wasn't that good of a character. Being spacey and random is cute, but she reavvy lacked presence, Kyou and Tomoyo where characters that stood out, Kotomi, while similar to Nagisa is some ways had a better story arc. Admittedly Fuko's arc was just as depressing as Nagisa's but it made me cry, which is more then Nagisa's.

Be happy that you can be moved to such emotions.

You're getting to the really good parts!

Why do you guys talk about substitutes for Nagisa? I always felt like Nagisa and Tomoya were meant for each other.

You can talk about which girl is your favorite, but for Tomoya, Nagisa was perfect and you can't deny she was a perfect wife. She was a crybaby, and she grew to be such a loving and caring wife (pic related). I really love her.

KIMI DAKE WO

Nagisa and Tomoya are good together but I just don't like Nagisa very much myself.

Nagisa is literally perfect. All of the girls are good in their own way but Nagisa is the absolute perfect woman. Except for the part where she fucking dies.

I feel like it could have been written pretty convincing to pair post-Nagisa Tomoya with Kyou if they didn't go for fairy tale reset ending.

"First thing from daddy." is one of the most powerful succinct lines in tv I've ever heard. It hits you like a truck.

The thing is even if they did do that it would piss off the people who really like Nagisa.

I wish I could erase Clannad from my memory so I could rewatch it again.

Clannad is life.

Btw can someone explain me the fuck of the last ep of the first season of clannad ? I mean i don't get the tomoyo things at the end

Nothing wrong with having different taste, but user always talks about how Tomoya was better with Kyou or Tomoyo in these threads, and i don't understand. I never felt love between Tomoya and any of the other girls, even in the VN, even in the OVAs. It doesn't mean i don't like them, but fuck, there's plenty of men and these shows always act like only the MC exists. But well, that's harem for you.

I feel you mate. Perfect wife material, and she made such a little angel, too. Ushio is the cutest child i've seen in chinese cartoons

I like Nagisa but I feel that it robs the show of some of it's impact by taking too many consequences of Tomoya's away from him.

He loses his wife, breaks down and can't handle the suffering and abandon his kid. When things got hard he ran.

With some help from his in laws he realizes what a piece of shit he is and makes amends with his family. His daughter gets sick and eventually dies and he breaks down again. The town hears his cries and he's given a meta-moment choice to avoid all his pain by running away from the entire thing.

He decides that the value he gains from having a family outways the pain from the loss and decides that he ultimately doesn't regret the time he had with Nagisa.

I can understand giving him his daughter back and having another chance with raising her. Motherfucker deserves some kind of reward for growing so much as a character. But getting Nagisa back feels too much like "DING DING DING YOU'VE MADE THE CORRECT CHOICE AND WIN IT ALL. YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE TO MAKE ANY SACRIFICES."

I still love the show, and have a soft spot in my heart for the ending montage. But it's too easy.

It's Tomoyo's route, they adapted the route of Tomoyo from the VN (when Okazaki and Tomoyo go out) there's also Kyou's route at the end of the second season

>I'm on episode 14
The real ride begins soon user.

Hold your horses until episode 18.

Alright ! thx mate, and is there any other ep about the particular route ?

How is it easy? It wouldn't have been more difficult for them to end it with Nagisa and Ushio still dead.

I totally understand everything you're saying, it does feel like "jackpot senpai, here, get your family back", but since the beginning, Clannad was about some kind of weird magic. Even in earlier Key works. Suspension of disbelief man, the ending doesn't actually erase the work they've done with character development. That was not easy, and they made it a great emotional ride, the fact that there's a happy ending doesn't suddenly make everything easy. It's a choice, and people talk more about the sad events in After Story than the ending, proving that in the end, it's not what mattered the most in the experience. The ending is 5 min long, you go through a lot of episodes before that, and that is what is the most difficult to make.

Nope, they only adapted Tomoyo and Kyou's route

Will there ever be another anime with as much feels as clannad?

Did Nagisa quit working at the restaurant? The final montage didn't show her working there.

It'll be very difficult

I finished the show a few hours ago. When I posted this thread, I was watching, and I never stopped. Holy fucking shit. The last thing that made me cry this hard was a dead puppy.

The magic stuff is the whole point. He made Ushio happy at the end, and she was the magic girl in the Illusionary World from the beginning, so there was enough magic to grant his wish.

Plastic Memories gave me similar feels. That's the only one that has come close to Clannad so far. I don't mean to compare it in plot, but if it's feels you want, it'll do it.

Welcome to the club.

I had to stop on episode 16 and 18. Then resume it 2 days later. Cant take all that suffering in 1 run man.

I played the VN first and then watched the anime and the only the time I got a little teary-eyed was that scene in the anime where Sanae couldn't see Fuuko.
Whats wrong with me?

Also why was Kappei the only character completely absent from the anime?

Are Nagisa parents the best couple to date? On a side note a really interesting part of clannad was Tomoya's dad, it's a shame he got so little screentime.

>they didn't use dango daikazoku as the OP for the episode when nagisa died

still makes me mad, duhh nagisa dies, have a nice upbeat ED

That time of the year again huh.

I should re-watch this in 16:9 high-res glory.

God damn it... the fucking feels in this scene man.
To think about this crushed family. They were all so happy, and Nagisa was so pure and cute. Her parents loved her so much. I can't even watch the webm i know i'll cry

I don't know what's going on in episode 18, but you might as well stop after that summer trip is over, everything after it is just Dragonballs.

youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

The webm is missing the last part, which really drove the scene home for me. Tomoya had his head down with arms on his knees, realizing how much they actually struggled and how much of a shit person he was for not helping.

Whats wrong with today?

We actually got a Clannad thread without shitposting and had few discussions going.

Honestly did't care. I was fucked after episode 21, I just wanted to see things end happily.

Anyone else read the short story where Ushio travels to France?

Just fuck me up fampai

>Sup Forums talks about feels
>Sup Forums not being contarian

It feels like opposite day today.

A fag bar just got shot up by a mudslime. All is well in the world, user.

Because that's what you are. A little bitch.

STOP IT

>opened the webm
>didn't even read the subtitles
>start crying
fuck

I do not know how anyone made it past episode 5.

The starfish thing was fucking retarded. If you didn't drop it then I have no idea why you kept going.

Clannad "characters" are all shallow unrealistic moeblobs.

Aaand i was wondering where the shitposters were.it seems they were simply not awake yet.

>Clannad "characters" are all shallow unrealistic moeblobs.
>didn't even watch past 5 episodes
wew lad

I agree though, Fukos arc is the weakest

I'm not saying that it's bad though

Fuuko's arc is the best arc from Clannad.

Sure

this look shopped

"First thing from Daddy" fucked my shit up senpai, I cried until the end of the episode

I'm so fucking glad TORCH was the ED at that point, it was so hilariously unfitting that I burst out laughing.

If they had the S1 ED play, I think I would not be alive to write these words right now.

This definitely annoyed me, it ruined the feel for a few minutes until the next episode started,

>opens webm
>thought that i wouldn't cry like i used to
>sees Sanae shaking in the silhouette
Nope. The tears still come.