What would anime today be like if Eva never existed?

What would anime today be like if Eva never existed?

I don't know.

Directors would have less freedom.

We wouldn't have so many faggot MCs.

The fuck is Eva?

Gunbuster was better than eva just sayin

Pretty much the same except no Shinji, Rei, or Kaworu clones.

Weird shit like Madoka Magica or Alien Nine never would've happened

Exactly the same minus a handful of Eva clones

Name tangible effects Eva had on the industry. What actually changed as a result of it?

Censorship. Misato depicted in an open relationship so blatantly was unheard of prior.

likely dead.
commercial viability to experimental anime.

There would probably have been some other big project that changed anime. It's an interesting thought but a worthless one.

Lol what a ridiculous fucking statement

Eva was predecessor of modern harem anime. So less harem anime.

Shit like Bakuretsu hunter don't go to the shitty evangelion final in their anime adaptation.

Explain. Who would've funded Bebop or Lain. Why would Ikuhara think it would be possible for success from making utena, why would any one fund the countless originals in it's wake if it wasn't the huge economic success it was.

He's not wrong, before Eva most original/experimental anime were limited to movies and ovas with the exception of strong franchises like gundam and macross.
Eva being a success showed tv shows could find success without having to rely on a manga or LN for source material.

NGE was responsible for 20 years of tsundere domination. Would archetypes itself have been so prominent if there wasn't Asuka and Rei to base a couple of the most frequent varieties directly off of?

No it wasn't.

No, it wasn't.

You faggots need to watch Anime older than Eva before you say retarded shit like this.

Like shit.
Oh wait, so actually nothing changed.

Good.

If I'm not wrong, Eva helped form some of the more popular character archetypes to this day, correct?

Only the kuudere archetype.

oh senpai its the best anime ever you have to see it.

Why do people like this entry-level toonami shit?

And the faggy protagonist archetype. I still feel like no other anime did that right after eva

thats probably because you've either: A) Started watching anime 5 years ago B) Havent seen more than 300 anime.

>A) Started watching anime 10 years ago
>B) Havent seen more than 300 anime.

Both are right, now. But Shinji is the only one that feels real. Would you tell about others?

>Havent seen more than 300 anime.
How is that a fucking argument? I know a guy who deliberately looks at MAL's ranking below 3000th place and watches every harem he can find, he has more than 500 probably. He's dumb as rocks and doesn't know shit about anime.

What did Eva influence directly?

>=>142791876
>Lain
Considering it looked like it had a tiny budget, and that it sold Utena
No one wanted to fund it anyway, that's why Ikuhaa was the fucking producer. Ikuhara specifically left Toei and Sailor Moon and made Be-Papas because they weren't giving him the creative autonomy he wanted. He also didn't believe that Utena would be a success, and because he had to take a big financial gamble to make it, he wasn't sure if he could even finish it, or if his career would continue afterward.

In shot, all three were troubled productions with minimal corporate backing and low expectations (and in at least one case, low performance). Not strong evidence for NGE making people willing to take the plunge on this sort of stuff, I'd say.

What about FLCL?

Literally the same

The only reason the industry changed from what it was in the 80s and early 90s is because of the move to latenight.

Yamato is an example of a show which actually had an impact on what was being produced.

You do know that the important creatives in all these shows have gone on to make more experimental and original shows right?

Nobody in Japan even saw Evangelion until 2003

The studios that basically splintered off Gainax would probably never formed. no Trigger, Gonzo, Khara/Animator expo (new animators spotlighted because of it)

A few Anime and video games. Nothing major.

Yes, obviously, but I don't see how that's relevant when the topic at hand is NGE's supposed influence on the perceived commercial viability of such works.

Fuck.

But Gonzo was founded before NGE was even in production.

A lot less shitty exposition

Better, fuck eva the cancer that fucked anime.

Gonzo would exist, and the only reason Trigger would not is if Gainax hadn't made anything profitable in NGE's place and went under.

>if Gainax hadn't made anything profitable in NGE's place and went under.
Which was exactly what would have happened if not for Eva.

It didn't change their commercial viability. But it changed their perceived commercial viability.

>Animu never enters the midnight anime otaku zone

Osomatsu wouldn't be fujo and we would have a proper Sally the Witch 50th anniversary anime.

Less try hard shit, more honest and chill animu

Thanks Anno

There would be no Rahxephon

Everyone would have masturbate to Gurren Lagann and an influx of TTGL inspired anime would prevade the industry.

Anno only magnum opus would've been Nadia.

gunbuster is overrated.

Are you retarded? Nadia made them plenty.

Did you miss "if they hadn't made anything profitable in NGE's place"? This is a hypothetical situation, so we don't know what they would have done instead of NGE.

You say that, but as I pointed out, all the examples that guy gave had very little confidence from their creators/backers in their commercial viability.

There probably would, it'd just be Raideen and something else instead of Raideen and NGE.

But they still got made. That's the point, it doesn't matter if it was the decision of a margin.

EVA was hugely popular back in the day. It doesn't mean it had a large influence on anime being made.

Look at haruhi for example. It was huge as well. Other than otaku culture and the like, there wasn't much direct influence on actual anime being made. Madoka too.

EVAfags like to believe their favorite show defined and made anime today despite all the cliches and tropes were already in use at the time and were a thing before EVA was even made.

But Utena demonstrably got made with no expectation of commercial success, Lain seems unlikely to have had any expectation of commercial success, and Bebop was broadcasted in fucking different form because they didn't think it coudl have commercial success as it was. I see literally no evidence other than "NGE WAS HUGELY INFLUENTIAL, MAN" to suggest that NGE boosting peceived commercial viability had anything to do with these three being made.

>haruhi
>no influence
You do know why the LN boom happened. Right?

Adapting anime from LNs was nothing new.

I know that. But there is a reason the quantity and percentage of anime based off of LNs exploded.

I'm not autistic enough to go look this shit up, but if you look at charts and calculate the percentages of shows adapted from LNs, manga, etc. They wouldn't be so far off as they are now.

Before and after haruhi there exists a massive difference.

>All rehashes of Eva charcters types
>Less fredom

Anybody have a link to that song that was like 3 black dudes singing Shinji Get in the Robot?

Less pretentious fanbase.

The same, minus the Rei clones, although I'm certain the Asuka-esque archetype would be even more prevalent to make up for it.

Every thread, until you shave it

More or less the same.

It made some of the cancer that is today: Faggot MC's that are faggots for the sake of it, bitchy "tsunderes" that everybody fucking likes, can't complain too much about the Rei clones. Thing about Shinji and Asuka is, they had their reasons for being like they are. What fucking reason did that faggot from Mirai Nikki or Rie Tsundere #4201337 have? Or even the other faggot from Accel World?

There wont be any Reifags, which is a good thing. But also one of my favorite animus will be gone.

especially rei, that quiet, mesterious but capable character type would not be anywhere near as popular if it weren't for eva

>mesterious
excuse me while I kms

>haven't seen more than 300 anime

You're disgusting.

>The girls aren't shown shaving pubes

we wouldn't have the cry then mastubate type MC

If it weren't for Haruhi we would have a lot less shitty LN adaptations.
Madoka single-handedly managed to ruin the whole Mahou Shoujo genre.

much worse