I'm not seriously proposing this because I don't think there's a point but do you think New York City could survive as...

I'm not seriously proposing this because I don't think there's a point but do you think New York City could survive as an independent nation? I imagine it as a sort of North American Singapore or Hong Kong (before becoming part of China). NYC has a population almost twice the size of Ireland and has a GDP comparable to South Korea.
What do you think an independent NYC would look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/parag_khanna_how_megacities_are_changing_the_map_of_the_world
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NYC has the potential for a lot of good things.

But until you guys get rid of the regressive fucks running the show, it'll never amount to anything more than a dystopia.

This.

"Draining the swamp" in NYC would be next to impossible. The whole society pretty much runs on corruption and it's just accepted.

New York is a valuable natural harbor. The city was founded and built up by Europeans, why should we leave it to kikes, spic, gooks and niggers?

It could survive and indeed thrive as a SAR-like entity but would probably require defense from a larger sovereign.

When did I say anything about leaving it to kikes, spics, gooks and niggers?

Can we please make a wall at the queens nassau county border to keep you heathens out of our parks and beaches. Since Rhode Island is a state, I would like the same for Long Island

nyc jew fag here take out the niggers and latinos then this place will thrive

Hong Kong and Singapore were administered and defended as part of the British Empire.

Generally, breaking up places into self-governing regions is a good thing for both the people that live there and the people that would otherwise have to deal with the people that live there, but it is in tension with geopolitical reality.

It could quickly build an army, imo. The NYPD alone is already the size of an army. NYPD has 34,450 uniformed members and an independent NYC would be wealthy enough to have a nuclear weapons program. Not that it would need one. NYC would still be right next to America and naturally be a huge trading partner and be protected by the States

Maybe the city needs to die to rise up again.

NYC RACE WAR!?

we need a race war here let niggers and latinos fight and let then die so the city can be great

As a fan of the city's design and city undergound networks, I have to ask. How big IS the NYC underground?

Having the bomb and launch capability is only one part of being able to pose a credible nuclear treat to would-be invaders. You also need fully-redundant launch monitoring and detection mechanisms, otherwise someone could still wipe you out in a first-strike without you ever getting a missile off the ground. A city-state does not have the luxury of nearly a eight of a globe's worth of land in which to put radar domes. Detection from orbit might work, but you better make damn sure those satellites stay up.

I'd be scared.

Mayor Fernando Wood tried this in 1861

NYC would be protected from attacks by the United States

Indeed. Man HK used to be THE city. Now its overrun by mainland monkeys. Same for Macau.

Singapore is still good though when you ignore the Bahasa fucks.

very big as big as manhattan and then it scaters to the other boroghs for me i live in manhattan so i go to 1,2,3 and Q trains

Main point:

Massive defensive infrastructure comes with economy of scale, and there are discounts to be had when you control large amounts of contiguous landmass. While I think that a Moldbuggian patchwork of city-states and fiefdoms would be beneficial from a governance-quality point-of-view, from a geopolitical point-of-view... I think it's more complicated.

Yes, in that situation, I think it would be a huge improvement.

Pretty cool watch on this subject.

ted.com/talks/parag_khanna_how_megacities_are_changing_the_map_of_the_world

Really if you think about it, suburbs are becoming more and more an outdated idea. Expanding the CBD and designating residential areas seems more effective and efficient as opposed to limiting the CBD to a certain radius.