How much Japanese have you picked up from watching anime?

How much Japanese have you picked up from watching anime?

I'm at the point of being able to watch without subs without getting too lost, but they often speak a bit fast for me. I have zero hope of reading/writing anything though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QaEZ5_hfEc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've watched so much anime my after images have mass.

Trying to learn Jap from a cartoon reminds me of those middle school kids who listened to Ramstein and wanted to learn German.

Like you I'm able to follow the essence of what is said in a shonen or a show that I've already seen,

but it's way more difficult when it comes to dialogue intensive shows like Bake and co.

What's interesting though is when you really start looking online for Japanese courses and learn a bit about the grammar and the way they form sentences.
Japanese is more like Yoda's way of speak,
starting with the subject, the thing the action will be about, and finally the verb in the end.
While in english the verb is often in the middle of the sentence.

Hence, if you start to learn of to understand long sentences, badly synchronised subs can even spoil you tense moments that are supposed to hold the suspence until the last word.
Example:
Subs: This guy is dead while riding a car.
Trad from jap: This guy, while riding a car, is dead.

But I learn English from game and cartoon. Why wouldn't it work for Japanese

t. ESL

I can recognize around 20ish basic words, not that I can follow any conversation and not that I am deluded enough to think I would learn solely by watching anime. Not that I really want to either.

I can pick up the the basic gist of very simple sentences, it's enough to tell when subs are way off the mark.

Just enough to be sort of an annoyance though. Like it's more of a foreign language than any random passerby might know, but also totally useless. It almost feels like it'd be a waste not to actually build on that and study, but then that feels like a flimsy inspiration.

How do you confirm you are not getting lost without Japanese subtitle?

because it's distorted, no one speaks like that, chances are you would end up speaking like a little girl or a kid of it was the only source of japanese vocab for you.
It's like learning english by reading shakespeare or watching some TV dramas.

>Normie
C'est 'Normalfag'.

>not watching the episode twice

Not much but I can pick some common words and phrases and seeing translation replace them with slightly different words or jokes that translator found funny irritates me a bit at the times.
Not to the point of actively coming into threads to shitpost about every single mistake, but still.

>I'm at the point of being able to watch without subs without getting too lost
That's because anime often relies on the same cliches/tropes/phrases so of course you'll get used to it after some time since it's always the same formula

Try watching some japanese TV show/news and see how you'll fail to understand 90% of what's being said

But that's how you do learn a language.......... Although I don't see the point in learning japanese just so someone can watch weeb cartoons

I speak perfect Japanese now:

my keeki is stekki desu

>How much Japanese have you picked up from watching anime?

None. I have actually gotten dumber from watching anime. I am forgetting into how I english with the speakings and types.

>Not rewatching the scene where you didn't understand what was said.

Shinjite shimata kako to mirai korewa daijobuu shin sekai oretachiwa

Thats my level of Japanese

>normie
Disgusting

You can't efficiently learn Japanese in your native language (unless you share a similar grammatical structure, like some Asian languages), because you're having to either expend extra mental energy to translate backwards, or carry two translations in your head at once.

There's a steep curve to progressing beyond baby sentences, because you need a vocab base big enough actually learn the language in its own native language.

Most Japanese learners complain that they can get the grammar rather quickly - though understanding the language beyond a string of nouns that is a problem (which is why English speakers think they "know" Japanese because they recognized a character saying 可愛い or something...) - but getting enough vocabulary for a sentence that would seem like the worst sort of run-on sentence in English is a daunting task.

dostedt

That's what I've found most difficult. I'm not used to re-formulating sentence order on the fly.

>but getting enough vocabulary for a sentence that would seem like the worst sort of run-on sentence in English is a daunting task.

Out of interest why does this happen? I've noticed that light novels in particular seem to suffer from weird ass run-on sentences and strange repetitions that would be frowned upon by English-users. Is it just difficult to convey they grammar of Japanese to English? A result of a translator's limited ability?

I learn English pretty much the same way, by watching simpson and playing video games in English like AOE and Diablo.

It's harder because Japanese is a harder language than English, but it's not impossible.

>I'm at the point of being able to watch without subs without getting too lost.
すごい

>It's harder because Japanese is a harder language than English
How many thousands of characters do I need to learn? I thought hiragana and katakana's 100 or so would be enough but FUCKING NOPE

>English is harder
Isn't Japanese one of the easist languages to learn in the world?

Not that user, but luckily japanese has the same grammatical and phonetic structure so I didn't have a tough time, while English grammar is the opposite of mine (yet was slightly easier for me since a few words are similar, unlike japanese). Fuck writing it though, I'm having a really hard time memorizing it, am considering just taking an official japanese language course instead if I get the money.

A little bit of both. Usually LNs are written in a super simple way so it's really easy for kids/teens to delve into without much trouble, and the japanese language allows for extremely simple sentences to be formed in a natural way. The thing is, those don't usually convert very well to english and most of the time it just looks very off, as if it was written by a 15 year old (even more than if it was left in japanese).

youtube.com/watch?v=QaEZ5_hfEc4
At 5:00 he says japanese is the hardest language to learn for native english speaker. He uses some official categories not his ass.

Just very basic words and sentences
I got no interest learning to speak japanese though. The whole "learning japanese through anime" is just some autismus maximus business anyway

The difficulty of learning a language is subjective to one's native language. Native English speaker has easier time learning German than nip. Not to mention learning the fucking moonrunes.

MASAKA

Lucky for me finnish is already pretty similiar to japanese so if I ever decide to learn it for some stupid reason it's gonna be a bit easier

Okay so it differs from what your first language is?

I can't read it but I could pick up on some basic verbal phrases like,

Desu ne.
sou desu ka

and so on.

Of course it does.

I can understand some Japanese from watching anime and listening to J-Pop but not enough to be able to watch raws.

>people still use "is" and desu in the same sentence

>subs puts love for suki

Suki can mean both like and love.

Is this the DJT?

Little over 2k

I could kinda get the gist of things, but I recently started teaching myself moonrunes for real for video games so I can already understand a lot more than I could before, plus I can read moonrunes now kinda.

That's illegal, user.

「凄い」

>mfw subhuman EOPs are proud of the dozen words they picked up from anime

Don't worry guys, I'll get around to translating your manga once I'm done masturbating to all the doujinshi I bought at Comiket that will never be uploaded.

>masturbating to magazines
>masturbating to drawn pics
Regenerate,kys

>Japanese sentence structure is complicated for the unitiated
Thank fucking god I studied it for three years in high school. I lost the vast majority of it, but the underlying structures are still there.

>kys
Go back to your youtube comments

True. I suspect it could happen with subs in general.

I have a few hundred subbed anime episodes under my belt. I wouldn't have learned anything if I hadn't proactively googled stuff about the language. What I know now is just the basic stuff like everyone else: basic sentence structure, some words and phrases, and some hiragana.

それだけ.