Sailor Moon 90

What do you guys think of 90s sailor moon (anime and/or manga)?
>Bad points
>Good points
>Favourite arc/season (why?)
>Worth a watch/read?
I think about watching it seriously since i only have some memories of the manga and anime (first volumes and first season) from when i was a young kid

Other urls found in this thread:

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/126107/picture:1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>anime
overall great, kinda wish it wasn't such monster of the week but nice story instead, god tier waifus
>manga
no comment

Besides the "monster of the week" crap with ~tuxedokamen~ coming to the rescue by spouting some utsukushii words and throwing a rose before disappearing.. it's so endearing and pretty cool. It used to makes me feel better on dark days, all warm and fuzzy. I remember still being 14 and wishing i was a magical girl, oh boy
But enough blogging, you should give it a go. The manga has adorable art style but i never read it.

I tried reading the manga last summer. Shit goes way too fast. Like, villains die, but you don't even give a fuck.

Ehh i liked it, it's an iconic anime. But i liked Card Captor Sakura better.

This. CCS is GOAT.

>i only have some memories of the anime (first season) from when i was a young kid

I was like that. I watched it seriously last year. My verdict: It's really far from perfect, but it's tied with CCS as my favorite anime.

I've been watching it but skipping most of the filler episodes, I don't have time for that. Filler aside though, it's really enjoyable. It has a lot of charm and the kind of silly humor that can translate between cultures.

>The bad
Plot holes and inconsistency. In a perfect world, Takeuchi could have taken the time to go over things that were unexplained, but in the manga she said she was rushed. It still would have been great if this was done before Crystal.

And Moonlight Knight was cringeworthy.

>Good
The 90s adaption fleshes out the inner senshi a lot more imo. Protecting their princess isn't just duty, there's more that they can see in Usagi.

I loved the Stars season in the anime because it brought the girls together into the same school, save for Rei. How they interacted during their first year of high school made it enjoyable.

Unlike many people that rewatched it more recently due to nostalgia and childhood memories, I picked it up for the opposite reason without any past experiences or biases.
It felt like such an iconic and influential franchise to the industry as a whole that I felt obliged to watch it and see what the whole deal is about. Other than that I'm a big fan of Ikuhara's later works where he had more creative freedom and wanted to see how similar Sailor Moon is to them.

I'm almost finished with the first season now and really like it so far. The pacing with filler isn't as bad as some make it out to be, it fleshes out the characters well. It does feel a bit too "monster of the week" and repetitive with tuxedokamen appearances as well as somewhat boring fights. Still fun to watch regardless.

/blog

Seconding.
(Also unpopular opinion but i like blogposts on the chans for topics like this one)

The backgrounds for this show are way better than I expected them to be. Good use of color and abstraction, nice variety, etc.

I finished it for the first time last week.
I think that it's pretty solid.
The characters are great, interactions are great, storyline for a kids show is pretty good too.
The direction was great, but that's expected from Ikuhara, and Sato.
I can see why it made such an impact in the animation industry as a whole. Both eastern, and even western.

I enjoy blogposting when I have something to say about a relevant topic. It can create conversation and isn't bad as long as it's not an obnoxious tripfag talking about themselves.
Characters are likeable and better written than I expected. I enjoyed the comedy parts more than those of many dedicated comedy anime.
The storyline is childish, but it's an anime for children so we can't really complain.

The first season is a bit of drag to go through because of the monster-of-the-week format, so if you want to skip all the filler watch. Google some episode guides since there are some good ones out there.

Skip the second season (the one with moonlight knight and the aliens) if you want, since that's a filler season.

I think it picks up during season three, when Chibiusa appears.

Also watch the movies! They are surprisingly entertaining to watch.

Are the movies just recaps of the seasons or do they have new content?

New content.

Where can I find a good torrent for the original series? All that's turning up for me is Crystal when I try searching.

Please ;_;

BakaBT has all the seasons and movies.

Watching every season of it can feel like a chore. Monster of the week everywhere, tedious fights and so on. There are so many flaws and frustrating aspects about it.

What lies beyond these flaws is worth every
second though. It's all about likeable characters and great balance between comedy and tragedy. I really like the visuals too. (gotta love these backgrounds )

As for favorite season I'd go with Stars.

Thanks a lot user, got them.

Animebytes.

They've got a subbed release for the first season using the Italian DVD release. Which is important, because the BD's and other DVD releases look like absolute shit.

Just look at that. Shit's all washed out.

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/126107/picture:1

Here's a good comparison.

So how was tonight's episode?

Did we get a Sailor Saturn henshin?

Why is there no thread about it?

The main plot, the action and most of the drama are bad. The characters and their interactions, subversive humor and use of colour make the show. This is where Ikuhara, Igarashi and Sato hone their craft. S is the season where Ikuhara has the most creative control and that one is easily my favourite season. It's basically Utena-lite.

I don't have an account there unfortunately.

Stars is by far the most fun season.

learn to catalog