Just started watching Gurren Lagann

So I've been a lifelong anime and manga fan, and I just started watching Gurren Lagann tonight. On the second episode. ..and I HAVE NO FUCKONG IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON. I love original ideas that drop you off in a foreign universe and don't hold you by the pinky, but this is just... what?? Am I not supposed to get it at first? can anyone help me understand? The themes, plot, anything?

the rule of thumb is don't take it seriously and just sit back and enjoy the fireworks

>Just started watching Gurren Lagann
>I've been a lifelong anime and manga fan
Prove it, because you're acting like a newfag right now.

DRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLSDRILLS

Its one of the most shallow anime shows of all time. There is nothing to "get."

Just watch until episode 8 then decide if you want to keep watching. Now get out before some ass hat spoils it, unless they have already.

OP here. Much obliged anons
How should I go about doing that ?
Like Bobobo? Can I expect tropes or references? It doesn't look like a parody..
Right no I'm beginning to see that. What exactly is the appeal of said drills?
So...shits and giggles and splosions and.. drills. Yes?

First time I watched almost 8 years ago I didnt it was anything special, I rewatched it 3 years ago and it has been mu favorite anime ever since, well that or Planetes, but they are way to different.

Gurren Lagann was 9 years ago.

How does that make you feel?

OP
So it just sorta grows on you. I had this problem with Durarara!! I had to watch each episode like 6 times before I was sure I understood the plot even a little

OP
Not entirely sure? Hopeful, I guess that there's no shortage of interesting anime

OP
It just seems like the only staple giant robot series I know nothing about or took the time to check out

Either way thanks again anons I intend to enjoy the shit out of watching this series, I was just wondering if it's typical to feel a bit lost or alienated watching it, even as an otaku

Its literally a children's cartoon that aired on Saturday morning television.

If you can't understand what is going on only on the second episode, you are less intelligent than a child.

Aren't you helpful
I'm pretty sure it's currently also airing on Adult Swim. Piss off

I mean, I'm not expecting to understand it thoroughly on the first watch, two episodes in,. Jw if there even ARE any possibly COMPLEX, ADULT themes present

Well it's a generational story, hard to see the scope of how Simon matures without having grown up yourself.

I repeat, TWO EPISODES IN. I figured there was something in the whole, underground city -> surface -> hinting at possibly space. Im 22, I never claimed to be some wizened guru ageless wisdom incarnate. If it's indeed a children's cartoon, I'll just move on to something a bit more mature that fits my tastes. Fuck me for posting on Sup Forums about a series I assumed everyone's already seen and grasp

Just watch the show faggot

OP here I suck cock.

What's there to understand?
Giant roboto fights another giant roboto while shouting about the power of friendship while making fun about other mecha anime

See
Fair enough.

Christ this thread is newfag cancer general.

This is the newfaggiest thread on Sup Forums in a while. OP is also retarded considering Gurren Lagann has some of the most obvious themes in an anime ever.

Please learn to type like an actual human being rather than an underage memelord, thank you.

It gets exponentially more ridiculous as it goes on, nothing too serious but fun to watch regardless. It's not very long, just watch it.

enjoy all the action nonsense while you can, because when they bring in all the bullshit politics in the 2nd part is when it gets hard to sit through

There is like 1 episode of politics in Gurren Lagann, do you have the attention span of a child?

OP here. I said several fucking I was on the second fucking episode. Jesus Christ.
No wonder people the world over hate you.

Kamina dies

no u

>I've been a lifelong anime and manga fan
>never watched gurren lagann
Might as well admit your homosexuality.
Get the fuck out, newfag.

Hey OP, nobody cares about your life story. If you are confused by a simple story like Gurren Lagann in just 2 episodes you might be mentally impaired and the normal thing is to watch more rather than shitting up our board with this garbage thread.