Horror anime

>horror anime

No, I'm sorry. It just doesn't work. I end up laughing at this shit every time.

>Elfen Lied
>horror

But elfen lied isn't horror

U need to watch the good horrors like Another

In general horror films do not work once you've seen enough of them, which isn't a lot.
But yeah anime never manages anyway.
This too.

Is there any good Romance/Horror anime that you can recommend me?

>Another
>good

I keep seeing this, do people really not get scared by anime? Animated things tend to disturb me more than live action

another what?

Another anime

But that is meant to be funny.

>People tell me to watch Another
>It's just as terrible and laughable

I don't know what Sup Forums or anime watchers in general consider horror.

I feel like every anime that tries to have a "horror" theme has a WAY TOO BRIGHT ART STYLE.

Elfen Lied is gore but gore is not necessarily horror.

I got pretty spooked when I was much younger watching Ghost Hunt. That doll arc, and the arc with the guy taking blood baths was spooky, but then I was watching that in the middle of a stormy night.

Other than that i've found it hard to find anything else spooky, but then there isn't that much spooky anime to begin with.

Well, there was that one episode with the Cthulu water creature in Kagewani episode 6 but that's more of a deep rooted fear I got for deep water and the shit that can be in it

It's not that Anime doesn't have potential for good horror series, it's just that it doesn't happens, with either bad adaptations or no adaptations at all when it comes to good horror manga/VNs.

A proper one of Higanbana would easily outclass anything done until now.

GOT EM

Another.

Bocu no Pico.

I liked Another, but there is nothing scary about it. Maybe at most there's some suspenseful moments.

>I keep seeing this, do people really not get scared by anime?
Yes. For me it entirely depend on the character designer, When They Cry is laughable and Another, while I do like Ito, her designs weren't perfect for it and I had a heartily laugh every episode.

Mahou Shoujo Of The End anime when?

Hmm..

Animation can do disturbing things well, that's not the issue. As a one famous example look at Akira and Tetsuo's mutation scene. It's not horror but its disgusting and unnerving.
Good horror doesn't just come from disturbing imagery, the direction needs to be solid and it needs to be pervasive in the product, not just in a scene or two, to be horror.
In the end however it mostly comes to just how sensitive you are to being scared and what you associate being scared with.
A lot of horror films think that gore equals scary. If you get queesy from graphic violence you will feel uncomfortable from something that someone other doesn't find any special at all.
It's not necessarily an issue of anime. People who don't feel scared from any horror anime won't probably feel much more from any kind of horror film or series.

when the main character gets NTRd

>inb4 Nozomifag

Why are you posting niggers on a Japanese image board?

Congratulations you just played yourself

horror in general doesn't work especially in today's world, how can people get scared of a moving picture on a small screen
And I'm seriously not trying to be an edgelord, all horror movies for me are just boring and predictable.

That's not an Anime. And it's not really taken seriously most of the time, though there is some legit drama and plot twists sometimes.

When the fuck do it gets an Anime adaptation, I need it.

As much as I liked higanbana, it's not -really- horror. The ghoststories aren't that spooky because they don't really aim to be. They're basically just fantastical metaphores for philosophical concepts, social dynamics and peoples inner worlds.

Utopia is best arc.

What does Sup Forums think of Corpse Party?

Seto no Hanayome OVA is the best horror anime I've seen. Not joking.

Ellen Lied is just an assault on all of your emotions. You're supposed to laugh.

If you want some real Ryukishi spooks and you know Japanese you should read Iwaihime. Shit's crazy!

Anime has never been able to scare me, but it has been able to disgust/disturb me.

The rape scene in Kara no Kyoukai was about as uncomfortable for me as the rape scene in Last House on the Left.

And I know I've seen gore in anime that's made me feel uncomfortable before, but I can't think of any particular scenes off the top of my head.

>horror
>anime

>Good horror doesn't just come from disturbing imagery, the direction needs to be solid and it needs to be pervasive in the product
You sound like you think you can imagine "good" horror, but have no idea how to actually envision it. How about giving some examples? I think the best approach is to not make gore predictable, as in, this scary monster shows up on screen and kills the person in a completely mundane way. Let the viewer's imagination extrapolate from the idea you give him, show a creeping threat and maybe some consequences clearly visualized, add mystery into it, and let the magic of human imagination do its work. It's not that hard.

Problem with gore in anime is that it goes overboard.
I mean I watch anime for outlandish thing, I haven't a problem with that, but gore as an element of horror only works when it is understated and that just doesn't happen in any anime that I know of.

>rape
>disturbing

Hello, tumblr

i kinda agree with this user; but i also have to say that horror is probably the one genre that hollywood jews do better than anime. I don't know why, I can't explain it. I've never seen a jump scare of any kind in anime that actually worked. You can build a creepy atmosphere and everything in anime, but in the end it still looks like a cartoon. I think the live action stuff at least gets that aspect more right. There have been some gory anime scenes that have gotten to me worse than isis videos have though; so idk. It just doesn't seem like anime and horror are a match for each other.

Actually I remembered one.

I winced during that scene in Blood C when the twin girl gets her leg pulled off.

But then I laughed.

Top cuck

>but have no idea how to actually envision it
True enough, I'm not a filmmaker of any kind, I'm just a consumer.
I can say at least one example though and it's pretty much what you described and it's Halloween, the grand-daddy of all slashers. If you watch it when you're an adult after seeing any of its copycats it loses much of its effect, but you can still see how it is head and shoulders above any of those.
Another one that has always stayed in my mind as an example of masterful horror is Peeping Tom.

I think something closer to Uncanny Valley would help with the horror atmosphere. Something like Malice@Doll, for example.

>cuck
Fuck off crossboarding shitstain.

Not him but that one movie where everyone becomes blind has that rape scene that lasts for like ten minutes. That shit disturbed me for some reason while rape usually doesn't bother me

I mean, it doesn't bother me in hentai because it's usually ridiculous and easy to brush off, but the scenes in those two movies were pretty convincing.

Felt too real for comfort.

Don't act like you don't get called that several times a day.

what the fuck is going on there?

Anime beame real

Quality thread.

I think that the horror genre is really underrepresented in most anime/manga. The majority of all "horror" elements are shoehorned in other genres. Berserk, for instance, can be a horror in some circumstances but is also an adventure.

Battle Royale is another case where it is a horror but its more of a dystopia like Blame! or Btooom.

I want to say that Corpse Party is perhaps the only manga that actually is pure horror but the manga is fucking garbage.

>I want to say that Corpse Party is perhaps the only manga that actually is pure horror but the manga is fucking garbage.
Read more fucking manga, newfag.

I think VNs are a great medium for horror, perhaps the best.

I think many directors just don't know how to make something horror instead of bad mystery/action.
Admittedly, I think anime isn't the easiest medium to scare people.

Lain was the spookiest anime

I'm scared of real life way more than anything in anime.

Do you not know who Junji Ito is?

Yeah I've read his manga on /x/. Admittedly, I forgot about him and the one shots of guinea pig.

That's not a horror anime, you faggot.

Pupa

The Portrait of Petite Cosette.

Basically imagine a zombie apocalypse, but zombies are replaced by magical girls.

Anyway, the problem with japanese and horror is that they reach that level of horror where it's very easy for things to slip and wrap back around to adorable (and vice versa), take this guy for instance, isn't he cute? One of his heads is even a skeleton, which should be spoopy as fuck but because he's got all those other heads as well the entire thing just ends up looking adorable.

You see similar things in Berserk, where Nosferatu Zod is a qt3.14.

There was that manga about a guy dressed liked a goth loli who'd been rolling in garbage for a few weeks stalks a guy while acting like his little sister or something. That was spooky.

The only way anime or manga can get me actually scared though is by using spiders. I had to skip the OPM chapter with the big spider.

Skeletons arent scary, they are funny.

>There was that manga about a guy dressed liked a goth loli who'd been rolling in garbage for a few weeks stalks a guy while acting like his little sister or something. That was spooky.
FUCKING SPOILERS GOD DAMN IT I WAS GOING TO READ THAT

Magnetic Rose is great psychological horror tho.

>no-one mentions Shiki
Those first 8 episodes are pretty spooky.

Pink hair was too sexy to be scary. She was slithering from under that bed and i just wanted to fap.

What is the meaning of that expression? She looks tired and confused.

Not anime but Junji Ito's works are always creepy to downright frightening.

There's also a lot of spooky horror VNs. Saya no Uta, while not scary, had some pretty disturbing scenes.

Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo 1 and 2 are pretty creepy and even scary (the nun bad ending, UGH)

The Higurashi VN is also pretty spooky.

Ever17 isn't exactly scary but it's pretty creepy, the crippling loneliness while under the sea and all.

There's also that one short anime whose name always escapes me that was pretty fucking jump scare scary. Made me literally shit my underwear, the episode with the spider woman. Gave me a bad case of jump scare diarrhea

You'd be tired and confused too if you just spent all day working in the lab and suddenly realized your body was missing.

>There's also that one short anime whose name always escapes me that was pretty fucking jump scare scary. Made me literally shit my underwear, the episode with the spider woman. Gave me a bad case of jump scare diarrhea
Yami Shibai?

Hello, summer!

>i want to go home
>my neck hurts
>why is this girl naked

Yes.

>that floating head in OP image
I can see why you laughed lmao

Not spooky, but it was really good and the loli was cute and the

the death of pink and mc is sad, they should have gotten together

>lmao

Another is good

>Those first 8 episodes

Are enough to etablish the worst cast ever.

Another was good until the last several episodes.

The ending was horrid.

Pupa is just obscene, not scary.

Name? sounds interesting

No point because he spoilered the thing. It's no longer spooky because it's no longer mysterious.

Pet Shop of Horrors was really good. It should've had more episodes.

>Pet Shop of Horrors
It has a manga.

I know. After reading that the shopkeeper wasn't Dracula, or at least a vampire, I didn't feel like reading it.

>Watch your favourite show of the season
>Look at the sales
There you have your horror.

Mc was gay

There's a difference between rape done for fetishism and rape intended to evoke feelings of disgust.

You should be glad a josei even got an anime in the first place.

Saya was pretty great for that, and it stands up pretty well as a horror story. It sucks that I can't ever recommend it to most horror fans because they'll just go "you have sex with a little girl? gross"

I've seen and liked:

Another
Hellsing
Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust
Pet Shop of Horrors
Berserk
Phantom Boogiepop
Blue Gender though the story drags on after they reach the spacestation

I know some are more horror-based than others.

What does Sup Forums recommend?

>What does Sup Forums recommend?
to fuck off.

I think it's a matter of presentation. Going to heavy on something can evoke the opposite intended reaction.

It's like how scenes with over the top gore cease to be disgusting and enter the realm of comedy.