Education / Work

hi Sup Forums

What are some in-demand trade jobs right now? Lately, I've been doing some thinking and realized that college may not be for me. Academia has never really been my thing and I think it's beginning to make a lot sense now that learning a trade skill would be best. I have some questions though...

How do you even know what trade skills suite your personality/interest/aptitude?

How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?

What's the work life balance going to be like?

How's the pay usually?

Should I be highly concerned with automation?

Will my social life become stigmatized from doing something like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/production/welders-cutters-solderers-and-brazers.htm
electriciancourses4u.co.uk/useful-resources/electrician-salary/
payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Electrician/Hourly_Rate
totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-electrician-salary
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump, looks like a useful thread for once. Especially since mods keep moving /sig/ to

well if your talking construction you will get paid more than most uneducated people but still be poor unless you own your own business. factory work is a relic of the past for modern nations as slaves in asia+shipping costs is lower than paying a living wage...
honestly unless you plan on starting a business... just go to college you will work less and get paid more ... working for a hourly wage is economic slavery, honest business s done by contract

I am interested in this thread so I will try and answer some, please note that I have never worked a trade job amd am just using my owm intuition.

>How do you even know what trade skills suite your personality/interest/aptitude?
Take an aptitude test or go through a list of trade jobs that stick out to you

[How do you go about getting an apprenticeship?
I would imagine directly approaching a company who uses that trade is the best option

>What's the work life balance going to be like?
Depends on the company, a good one should have you working at least 8 hours

>How's the pay usually?
Depends on the trade, I know carpenters can go for around 40,000 a year

>Should I be highly concerned with automation?
Not sure what you mean by this

>Will my social life become stigmatized from doing something like this?
Depends on if the people you know are assholes lol, it's your decision not theirs

Hope that cleared it up a bit for you bud, best of luck

You can search the archives. This question is asked 3 x a day for a solid year.

running a business of my own could very well happen

>automation

being eventually replaced by robots

Seeing as how fast people are pushing robots for labor these days it should be a concern unless you plan on being a robotics/electrical engineer etc. Most jobs that require planning are usually pretty safe though

Electronics & Instrumentation degree holders are always in high demand at production plants. Expect to work shift work and make about 50-75k

i'm not seeing shit lol

Plenty of production facilities left in the US paying good wages with awesome benefits. Just might have to move outside big cities

these threads will die unless more specifics are given

Learn welding.

You can now be any tradesman you want

I was thinking perhaps electrician but then again my math skills aren't that great

You're not looking then. I see this thread more than actual polticial threads.
$.02, doesn't matter what trade you want to do. Massive hurricanes have caused a huge demand for all trades. Go there. Try something. Quit making the same damn thread 3 x a day, and actually do something with your life. If you actually looked for any form of employment, you'd already know this.
Niqqa, this shit happens multiple times every day. The people that actually do work are asleep. Your shitty comment doesn't add anything.

i have insomnia fget

Well if you do plan on starting a business. Getting an education and getting paid is a great option. Start doing something you like and get really good at it. Then when you have to break free start your own business doing what you know. Anyone above 120 iq can learn the business side as they go. 5-10 years in trade, try to be the best everyday, then you start your own shit.

Because you don't work, cock holster.
Seriously, stop shitting up this board and do something with your worthless life, shitbag.
Contact these unions; you can email any of them right now, and people are paid to recruit you.
Carpenter
Electrician
Bricklayer
Welder
Dockworker
Lineman
Steelworker
How does anyone find a job? Stop sleeping all day, and fill in applications. If you don't like a job, quit.
It's not hard, but you're going to have to stop being mommy' little basement hot pocket.

>american "house"
No wonder they have to rebuild everything after every little hurricane

my country i sell drugs

>iq

yeah mine is within the average range

learn welding. My dad's friend makes shitloads of side cash because people always ask him to build random shit you just can't buy somewhere

although i'm in uk, the tradies here make a killing man.

people come out of uni with decent education and up being delivery drivers with tesco lol, its also a very respectable way of life.

getting up early, working hard with your hands, i work with builders as im an architect and man, it is so fun!

Well then how the fuck did you get into college. Business major and bullshit and just lie favors your way to the top. Anyone under 120 iq is officially retarded and not required to adhere to ethics, mainly because they can't understand them. Sell used cars or someshit. Make bank lying to normies.

>>triggered

lmao you're so butthurt

the odds are you prob have an average iq too hahaha

>Graduate high school.
>Go to college due to pressure from rich family.
>They don't offer to help pay, just demand I go.
>Rich kid is suddenly supposed to figure out how to pay for college. Get student loans.
>Go into writing, much like my mother, grandmother, and great grandfather.
>Enjoy what I'm doing, but feel like I'm meant for something else.
>Really want to go into architecture, feel like working with my hands would be an amazing thing.
>No, told if I change majors will be cut out.
>feelsbadman
>Graduate with a BFA, top of class, etc.
>That was 2 years ago.
>Currently 31, work at B&N part time, write things in my off time, but not as successful as family before me.
>They tell me to just keep applying to things because my BFA really helps when applying to business related jobs, like investors.
>Rack up shit tons of student debt.
>Every day, day dream about being an architect, designing and building with my hands, enjoying the outside and weather, feeling the breeze against my face.
>Day dream about building the perfect craftsman to live the rest of my days in and raise my son in, much like men before did.

40000 per annum for a chippie? That's fuck all.

hey man, i dont know what its like in USA, how long is a course in architecture?

I have what you describe and its pretty fun, i'm hopeful to have my own building crew, or over in USA, you'd call them contractors.

don't give up, you're not even that old

fuck this, don't listen to this cuck user. Get a trade in carpenting, plumbing or better yet as an electrician. The housing industry in the Anglo-Saxon countries is the only thing keeping theie economies afloat, especially considering the globalists have the upper hand at the moment and will continue to import ten of thousands of immigrants who need houses etc.

It would take going back to college and completing another 5-7 years, put me at say... 36 when finished. I could probably find work after my first year or two, or an internship somewhere, but I've never once built something (flat pack furniture obviously doesn't count) or really had to work with my hands. Just something about being out in the sun, a nice breeze, listening to the music I want to, while building something, and not having to put up with the general public just sounds perfect. A working architect. Now that's the dream.

It's funny because most architects are clueless on site, there is a difference between architects and architectural technicians here in UK, architects design some frilly cuffed flamboyant design but techies make it work.

it's good pay here, if you're worried about your incompetence in building, why don't you buy some books? it is relatively easy, structure, thermals, waterproofing etc. don't be scared. do you know how to torrent? torrent archicad 19 or something like that and start playing around with it.

Very tech savvy, yes. And if I were to do it, I would want to be both building and designing. It seems stupid to design something and then go "lol no idea how that's going to be built" and leave it to someone else, you know?

I agree but here the act of tendering (gathering quotes) means they have freedom in choosing contractors, alot of people market themselves here as design and build (i am currently in process of doing that), but unless the workforce that have been given your drawings are incompetent then there shouldnt be a problem, sections, plans, elevations etc all should make it work

and if not, make sure you have professional indemnity insurance lol,

pic attached job i'm doing, barn conversion out in the sticks :) builders are fucking scruffs and keep a messy site. and also resting those huge timber trusses on scaffolding, idiots lol.

Jealous. I think I just might do it user. I don't want to waste another year in retail nor continue to roll over for my family just because I want the financial security.

Welding fucking rules. I'm about to learn how to run root passes.

good luck mate.

Electricians in the UK. They're averaging £135,000 per annum. So about $170,000?

>slower than average growth

bls.gov/ooh/production/welders-cutters-solderers-and-brazers.htm

>The National Average Electrician Salary for 2016. Newly qualified electricians who choose to work for an employer can expect to earn between £19,000 and £22,000 a year. However, over time and after you have gained more experience in various jobs, you can expect to see your salary rise to between £23,000 and £30,000.
electriciancourses4u.co.uk/useful-resources/electrician-salary/

So much bullshit in this thread. Most of you couldn't even pass college level English 101.

I just started a carpentry/building apprenticeship.

It's harder than I thought. I guess that's why it pays so much.

Every trade here pays a lot. Plumbers and Gasfitters in places like Darwin, here, get paid more than lawyers per hour (on average). But we have a big boom in both resources and housing/construction at the moment. I'm worried by the time I finish up my training (absolute minimum 5 years) plus get enough money together for my own business, the booms will have died off.

I got my apprenticeship through a trade industry body. There are basically a couple of big ones for each industry here. I'm sure you could find one in the U.S. - i.e. - "Plumbers Associatin Of Anytown U.S.A."

I also did A LOT of pre-work (took a 12 week "community college" pre-apprenticeship training, learned to drive a stick shift truck, got a few construction tickets and first aid training. From landing my interview with them to getting into the program and job, it took about 2-3 months.

>How do you even know what trade skills suite your personality/interest/aptitude?

I liked Terraria and I like the idea of turning my vacant land into a homestead. Grew from there.

>What's the work life balance going to be like?

Depends. I have NO experience in the field, so I have to do a lot of catching up. Basically I work ~40 hours a week, I do about 5 hours of official study a week, about 5 hours of my own study, and about 5 hours of extra training courses a week. Plus you'll need to go into the classroom/practical training either once a week or in blocks like 4 days a month.

>How's the pay usually?

I'm on 700 AUS a week. Guys in the field are making 60-90 bucks an hour.

>Should I be highly concerned with automation

Depends on the trade and position. Generally not. But I mean - we don't do nearly as much carpentry as the older guys did. We basically get stuff pre-made and assemble it.

That's if you're working for a company and not running your own. My step-grandfather, when he got back home from WW2, learned how to become an electrician, and then started his own company; by the time he was 50, he was a multi-millionaire. It's making that leap from working for an individual to working for yourself is where people worry the most about.

>What are some in-demand trade jobs right now?

Electromechanic. #1 in demand trade. All that automation requires maintenance. There is a severe shortage of them. It's a 2 year class, all you need is highschool and possibly advanced math. You learn a lot of everything, hydraulic, pneumatic, electric, electronic, welding, machining, etc.

The job openings are endless. Factory machine maintenance, escalators, automated doors, whatever. Everywhere has machines now. You can easily be self employed, at contract or full time.

Pay starts high and will constantly get higher. Especially if you're willing to work outside of large population centers. Companies there are desperate for electromechanics.

contd.

This doesn't mean we're in danger of losing jobs - just means the jobs are easier, thus more guys can do it, thus lower wages. But for what I do, and what other trades like plumbing/sparkies/welders do...eh...automation is less of a problem than competition from shonky guys who can get away with shonkiness easier because of prefabs. Again, it's just on you to upskill. I had a m8 who was a boilermaker. Was making good money, but kind of sick of it, so went and got his underwater ticket for boilermaking. Works like 5 months of the year now, makes insane money.

>Will my social life become stigmatized from doing something like this?

Better than working in retail or driving a cab or something.

Then again, I come from Australia.

Sure buddy.
payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Electrician/Hourly_Rate
>The average rate for an Electrician is £12.61 per hour. A skill in Commercial is associated with high pay for this job.
totaljobs.com/salary-checker/average-electrician-salary
What is the average salary for Electrician jobs?
The average salary for Electrician jobs is £32,500.
Read on to find out how much Electrician jobs pay across various UK locations and industries.

Everything posted on the internet says you're a liar.

I'm in the same boat.

Did CC for a year, but didn't get my welding certs because I thought I'd stick around for 2 yrs.

Moved here to Seattle a year ago, to go to dive school. Couldn't afford it, realized it was a sham too.

Now for the past year I've been working at a dive company working on small boats....on-call, working nearly every day, and usually 50-65 hrs a week.

Im fucking over this dead end job, where I live to work. And my rent is $1k a month. Fuck, what jobs gonna pay my rent out here?
Ironworkers union may have me waitlisted for 2 yrs.
I got my merchant mariners, but I gotta get hired as a tankerman and take some classes.

I just dont even know.
I just hate I have to work so much and paid so little, just to get by.

>architecture, feel like working with my hands would be an amazing thing.

lol what? You don't work with your hands as an architect. I mean you might make some models I guess. But that's about it.

Your problem is being in Seattle, or any large city. Go to a smaller town, never above 100K pop, and you'll find that the cost of the living drops much, much faster than the pay. Especially for in-demand trades.

I would want to design said building and then build said building. As I said here

I moved out here from a small southern rural town.

Cost of living was cheap af.
But jobs didn't pay shit. And there was no opportunity. You're either working in a factory, away in the oilfields, or service industry.

fug it, train to become a professional australian by eating marmite

Find another rural town then? Not something under 30K pop, and not over 100K. If you don't want oil work, don't go somewhere with oil. As for factory work... Yea, what else would you want? It's not like you're likely to do linework as a welder. But I'm not clear on what kind of job you're expecting to get if not factory work.

You could also just go into electromechanics, as I posted here you get your pick of the jobs with that, and it does include a fair bit of welding.

Are you fucking stupid? Not a sparky working for a firm, I'm talking of a sparky who's got his tickets and starts out on his own. I know two lads who make that and they're under 30 you fucking retarded mong.

Thankfully a burger who isn't a fucking mong and understood that I meant working for yourself. Same for plumbers here, most folk will pay more for a indigenous plumber than a polack.

In my old town, everyone was a welder.
Most all factory welding on the line, if they didn't go pipelining.

I may hop into one class next semester and learn to weld pipe and try to work at the shipyards or something.

Planning on getting my tankerman classes done, and get on with a tug and barge. It's like $25-38/hr, and won't destroy my body.

Sure. Call me names.
I have facts, that you are unable to dispute, and you have playschool logic.
You're a fucking liar, and got called on your horseshit.
Accept it and move on, or attempt to prove me wrong. You're just a basic poofter begging for the bellend.

You have nothing like facts faggot.

Bitch, I posted reference.
Every thing you said is so false. Justify anything you said.
I'll wait. You'll leave. I've seen this. You're more full of shit than a public outhouse.

You fell for the boomer idiocy. RIP kid.

Any trade job that drug tests will set you up right. Electrician, Welding, hell you can even find great Plumbing contractors if they do a lot of work and drug test. Look for places with benefits (good healthcare/work programs) and they will set you up.

Visit weldingweb and the Miller forums. Great communities and you'll pick up a shitload of info not covered in classs. You can post pics for constructive criticism to get better faster, and learn a lot about equipment.

Electrician.

Get what ever ticket you need to drive pilot launches. Here it's a master 5 med 2 (master up to 24 mtr, dual ticket up to 750 kW). Most of those vessels are pretty zippy and sound like heaps of fun to drive. Base rate here should be about 70 k