GOODBYE INTERNET: WC3 to build DRM into HTML5

The World Wide Web Consortium is a private elite club directed by Tim Berners Lee and counting hundreds of corporations, universities and private individuals as members. They develop web standards.

W3C Greenlights DRM for the web:
archive.is/h26nk
eff.org/deeplinks/2017/07/amid-unprecedented-controversy-w3c-greenlights-drm-web

TL;DR: DRM will be built into HTML5 so that videos, and eventually all web content can be locked up. Goodbye commentary, goodbye redpill videos, goodbye memes, goodby internet.

EFF Resigns From W3C After DRM In HTML Is Approved In Secret Vote:
techdirt.com/articles/20170918/16322838234/eff-resigns-w3c-after-drm-html-is-approved-secret-vote.shtml

1/2...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S97TCpuBvnc
csail.mit.edu/),
ercim.eu/),
w3.org/Consortium/fees
w3.org/Consortium/Member/List
w3.org/Consortium/facts.html
youtube.com/watch?v=h94ZKGVg-B8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

...2/2

Some info and possible routes of digging on the W3C:

What exactly is this W3C, how do they operate, and who has a say in what they’re doing? This youtube tech journalist guy (seems like a typical, but earnest, nu male tech guy on youtube, not red pilled or anything.) uncovered something remarkable:

youtube.com/watch?v=S97TCpuBvnc

Vid summary: The W3C does not appear to be a legal entity of any kind. It’s not an LLC, not a non-profit, not anything. It appears to be a completely unofficial private club administered by MIT (csail.mit.edu/), the European Research Consortium for Informatics (ercim.eu/), Keio University in Tokyo, and Beihang university in Beijing. This unofficial private club collects tens of millions of dollars annually from members (as can be calculated from the member list and annual fees), who pay these fees in order to take part in secret votes (the W3C does not publish vote records, meeting minutes, or take any other measures to make it’s activities acceptable to the public) that will shape the future of the internet. The W3C being an apparently completely unofficial private club, there is no way to know where this money goes. Tim Berners Lee could be spending it all on *cheese pizza* for all anybody knows. Don't like the W3C? Don't want everything on the web to be under DRM? Too bad. Private club.

W3C member fees by country: w3.org/Consortium/fees

W3C member list: w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

W3C page describing what their organization is: w3.org/Consortium/facts.html

Previous video from the tech journalist summarizing the DRM vote situation and emails he's had with the W3C: youtube.com/watch?v=h94ZKGVg-B8

Bring down this beast anons.

bump

we will always find a way to circumvent shit. Fuck off retardo.

SO WE MAKE OUR OWN INTERNER

tldw
can i get a quick rundown

OY FUCKING VEY. FUCK THE INTERNET RIGHT MY DOODS? XDDDD...you guys getting a little sleepy? Boy, I'm just really sleepy. We should all go to bed.

get a screen recorded to download videos. Just record the vid. Get a male/male end 3.5mm audio jack, plug one end into the headphones port and the other into the microphone jack, then use literally any audio editing program to record music. DRM is such a waste for everyone.

read the section labeled "vid summary", genius.

If I hand you this would you be able to replicate it?

Hand it with care, though. I have a Jesse Jane compilation downloading right now and it's 60gb.

You know nothing about coding.
I can make a filter that removes that crap.
Easy.

It's up to users to avoid DRM sites

yeah and it'll be about as successful as the semantic web

man I was missing this kind of thread finally thank you for posting.

did not know spaniards had a minimum of humor

literally Nigger

I thought it was the only thing we had to compensate for everything else.

You know nothing about implications. It doesn't matter if you can bypass it. It's even written in the articles I linked, if you had read them, that it will be easy to get around. The problem is that it opens up anyone who uses anyone else's web content for being sued, i.e., you make an infographic or a commentary vid about the holohoax? Enjoy being sued by the ADL on behlaf of the holohoax museum that owns the pics.

As long as you can capture what's being displayed on your screen and what's being send out your speakers DRM is only an inconvenience

As already posted, the issue is not being able to get at the content. Even the EFF says directly in their article that it will be easy for people to find ways around it. The issue is that you can't show footage from the news or a history documentary, or an advertisement, or a company's website without facing the threat of being sued.

Does anyone here even read the fucking thread? Shit.

They are going to sue 100 million people who shitpost on youtube?
Come on, muh freedom of speech bro.

someone will find a way around it, they always do

No, they'll send threatening legal letters to the much smaller number of people who actually make wrongthink content that has a substantial audience. Anyone who actually goes to court will be absolutely demolished and will be saddled with millions in debt from having to pay the plaintiff's legal fees after losing. This is how corporate litigation works. 99.9% of those threatened will opt to take down the content rather than go to court which means all the company has to do is send the letters.

BUMP
actual important thread

THATS NOT THE ISSUE. READ THE THREAD YOU FUCKING MONGOLOIDS. HOLYFUCK KEKCHAN IS RETARDED.

making the internet unsafe for epileptics is a weird consequence.
yes people don't read anything but headlines across the entire internet. welcome

So who died and left these people in charge?
Before a catastrophic cutoff, we really need to start thinking about decentralized alternatives to web 3.0 I miss web 2.0 anyway, google and youtube killed the net with the fucking militarized spyware advertising. We used to use BBS and just text in web 1 but now we are spoiled with hi res memes and webms and shit. Once ebay and amazon took off and money could be reliably made, the internet was a lost casue, we should abandon it to normies to look at banner ads and drm cuckery, and we whould make some sort of blockchain retro BBS text board thing. It can be a secret club again

I still don't get how it will be any different from what we have now. Content owners can sue you even today for a picture or a song you use in your video. How DRM changes it? Isn't it only an access/copy barrier?

>Tim Berners Lee

Isn't he British?

Prepare your licences!

From the EFF article: EME is a standardized way for web video platforms to control users' browsers, so that we can only watch the videos under rules they set. This kind of technology, commonly called Digital Rights Management (DRM), is backed up by laws like the United States DMCA Section 1201 (most other countries also have laws like this).

Bypassing DRM is itself a crime.

>don't pirate shit because I'm not a poor Communist who doesn't have a job
>nothing changes

>have epilepsy
>watch youtube
>die

...continues (sorry for double post):

"Under these laws, people who bypass DRM to do legal things (like investigate code defects that create dangerous security vulnerabilities) can face civil and criminal penalties. Practically speaking, bypassing DRM isn't hard (Google's version of DRM was broken for six years before anyone noticed), but that doesn't matter. Even low-quality DRM gets the copyright owner the extremely profitable right to stop their customers and competitors from using their products except in the ways that the rightsholder specifies."

Why not just use HTML4 then.

I mean
super mario 64 is illegal to pirate but the original super mario 64 is dead and will probably never be brought back except through emulation and pirating.

At that point, I honestly believe it to be reasonable to do such crimes.

>block ads because annoying shit and malware
>they implement DRM in HTML5
>now illegal to block ads because the entire page is served as an encrypted blob of fuck you
kek. Its gonna happen and we are fucked.

Max Keiser was talking about this on RT a few months ago. He was filming a segment on the street and a car drove by playing James Brown. He had to reshoot the entire segment for piracy bullshit, it's a way to go after people you don't like

They still sell that game on Wii I think

this creates a market for robots that operate a tivo for interney

Yeah with an emulator

There is no scarcity for copyright to protect. This is an excuse to harass non-marxists with frivilous legal bullshit. There gonna force us to preach in the streets while the web dies like cable tv

If you don't own the copyright, you don't have the right to copy it. Simple as that, commie. Super Mario 64 DS was released by the way, which works on the 3DS which are cheap as fuck.
t. Business owner who has to watch for people trying to steal my shit

An emulator made by Nintendo. Y'know, the copyright holders who are entitled to the profits of their intellectual property.

There is NO DRM that can protect anything once it has already reached client's local machine.
This is only done to allow for big corporations to monetize public domain. This will mean even bigger and powerful monopolies. As bad as it sounds, this might actually make them strong enough to resist government involvement more.

Still a very bad idea, and a bad way to do it. But only shekels decide now.

>owns a copy
>cant copy that copy for your own needs to play it on your own emulator.

>stupid goy you dont really own things you buy.
also, super mario 64 ds isnt the original 64 version, new bosses, new characters, hidden star.

Yeah but at that point, when you already own a copy of the original game, but put it on your computer, it becomes illegal?

btw, if you share pepe after this shit gets implemented and someone reports you, gosh darn you're gonna get a letter in that mailbox my dude.

decentralised blockchains makes this small news

Correct. Thank you user for not being a dense retard.

You realize this will open you up to legal threats for doing something as simple as using news footage in a commentary vid? Read the thread.

in the case of the creator of pepe, you'll also get opened up to legal threats if you use his meme cus "illegal downloads".

The N64 is dead no one's making any money off of a cartridge game. A lot of poor kids got into video games by starting with free emulated 20 year old games, to get into the franchise by playing the older ones first. Like pirating music, the jews screamed bloody murder about lost profits that don't exist. Actually so many people discovered new artists on Napster and Kazaa and Morpheus that overall concert sales were way up and album sales were mostly uneffected. In other words the artists, the people who work, who produce, make MORE money with pirating, but the jew will not let a single penny escape him if he can bring misery to others in order to attain it.

OP can you make generals about this everyday?? This needs to be spread. And who better than Anonymous to spread the message xD

If you don't get the permission of the owner, why would you be allowed to use their PROPERTY in your videos?

Play it on your Nintendo 64 then. You'll understand the need for people to be rewarded for their work and ideas when you grow up and actually produce something you can sell.

How would they use your videos against you if they are also protected by DRM?

What if that nintendo 64 breaks.
There is only a finite amount of legal ones left, the rest are mostly fan made sold at conventions.
Nintendo isnt gonna start making nintendo 64s again. they never will.
its the dumbest thing to do in sense of profit.

Couldn't people still start independent ISP and host sites that are not built with HTML5 on private servers?

>The N64 is dead no one's making any money off of a cartridge game.
False. Nintendo can still make money off their Wii version. Piracy will reduce this income. You'll understand when you grow up and learn to appreciate the value of work.

No, this is awesome!! We will go back underground. Fuck normies.

>independent ISP
Illegal in many areas.

>made an NES recently
>made an SNES recently
>"Nintendo will never make a Nintendo 64 again"

What's wrong with DRM?
Do you hate copyright so you can steal like chyna?

Because of Fair Use. DRM built into all web content would make cases that clearly fall under Fair Use illegal anyways because of the circumvention of DRM.

Good. Red pill more normies, also browser internet is fucking aids, it always has been.

We need to be using a different system entirely, oh hurry up future.

That only applies to copyright and not OP.

>we'll go back underground
>fuck normies
>posts on normiechan instead of any other imageboard
If you are 12 this is understandable. Otherwise... honestly.

So you can potentially earn some jail time for a copied picture, because it implies that you bypassed DRM? All the more reasons to confront copyright lobby and malicious laws. Copyright has lost its purpose with proliferation of Internet and must be abolished.

So don't use HTML5...

Fuck off you bootlicking piece of shit. You're probably a hypocritical hobbit that has pirated before.

quite the opposite faggot. First internet experience was with a phone coupler and BBS.

Fucking normie...be original

>steal

You can't steal your own property

>carpenter: here, have a stool
>you: thanks, have some money
>carpenter: oh there's an EULA on that stool. you can't paint it a different color or carve a design into it because it's my stool. you also can't replicate it because i own that stool design. i am a CREATIVE PERSON and that means i get special rights. the government takes away your rights and gives additional rights to me so my trade can be more profitable. this is a good thing. for me.
>you: wow fuck you
>carpenter: feh. fucking thieving lawless nigger....

Good luck trying to prove someone broke DRM.

why not be a creative person yourself you unoriginal fuck

The presence of DRM makes using the DRM'd content a crime beyond copyright infringement (which is legally safe because of Fair Use in most contexts). Please read:

and

>carpenter gets no work because nobody wants this
>on the other hand, platforms like Steam and companies like Nintendo continue to grow in popularity because their copyright and terms are acceptable to their customers
The free market decides.

What if I am but my chosen mode of creativity is covered by patents, rather than copyrights, because it's actually useful and makes more sense to incentivize than fucking art?

>hurr me make shiny thing, make me upper class now
>-artists

Ripe for abuse and stifles creativity.

Examples:
- Politically incorrect video gets a DRM claim made against it. Real or not it gets pulled because no one wants to deal with a legal case if they don't. Youtube already does this.
-Some kid makes a video that contains some copyrighted sound effect or something in it. Sorry kid, shlomo needs his sheckles.

On the plus side, rap music will disappear.

Don't know what the legal precedent is but it seems that would be as easy as: "The DRM should prevent user from having that content. He has it. Therefore guilty".

Non monopoly laws still apply to FCC regulations regarding the internet do they not? The internet is not "owned" by any one group of business practitioners or inventors. You can't have a monopoly on a non tangible business idea. You could take the FCC to court over that if they tried to keep you from becoming an ISP. There are lots of small ISP all over the country.

For them to sue you, they need to know who you are. Nothing will change, stop worrying.

Just make shit. There is no such thing as an original thought.

The scary thing is commentary is now dead. This is going to be a first amendment shitstorm.

Video games are the one form of media nobody really gives a fuck about. Modders fucking with games are, if anything, getting more people to buy the game.

Modding or investigating software to stifle tracking features or using DRMed and copyrighted video, on the other hand, has different implications

>we will always find a way to circumvent shit. Fuck off retardo.
wtf I love subjugation now.

Most new things come out of updating or rearranging an old thing. If all the old things are DRMed to the hilt then you don't get new things.

It's not the same they may have reused parts cause theyre lazy but that's there problem. My point is if you are setting up an emulator, getting the game to work, then your not going to buy it. Unless its really good, and would be worth it on an upgraded console. I used to download all the Razor1911 releases, install them, beat the game and if it was good, I'd buy it, cause pirating is always kind of a pain in the ass. This was pre-gamergate, but already game reviews were often blatant paid for hackjobs, so its a $60 risk for a few hours of fun that was often incomplete, falsely advertised, too short and overal shitty.
Even worse, these dirty jews manufacture the junk they sell us with planned obsolesence, that is, it's designed to break so you need to spend more money on a "new" one which is the exact same shit. They want us to consent to relinquish our right to sue in class action suits by making the consent part of the licencing agreement you must click in order to access. They pushed too far. They want us all to live on those juice maker thing with the DRM and mail order packets, must be connected to wifi or you don't get juice, also it spies on you and mines bitcoin or runs a botnet. They want us to get self driving cars because we won't own them, the corporation will rent them to us and can killswitch at any time because they "own" the "rights" to the software that runs it.

Even at that point, stating you dont actually own a copy of a game that you've paid a lot of money on.

Emulators are not illegal. They arent, this has been decided by sony v bleem!.
Sony lost but did a fuck ton of legal fees to bleem until bleem went out of business.

And at this point, the debate honestly simply becomes, Do you actually own that copy? If you own it, how come you cant download it to your hard drive to play it on your legal emulator, thats the point of the legality of the emulator in the first place. So by saying downloading discs to the pc is illegal, then that indirectly shows that emulators are illegal and will go against legal precedent. Distributing your pc version of your own bought game is illegal and thats called piracy.
That is what is illegal. But saying downloading it to your pc is illegal simply because you copied it for your own personal use is illegal is a legal gray area and to an extent, if argued right, is near impossible to state as illegal.

But the main point of this thread is the drm shit.
in terms of corporation, that is heavily retarded to do in any regard simply because that will leave you open to so much shit, the collective shit hole that is people and they can instantly shut you down just from their collection alone. Lawyers wont hesitate to jump on this bandwagon and get a pretty penny from the corporations in terms of a lawsuit against them. Invasive advertisements are already highly annoying, encoding a whole entire webpage would literally slow down websites a fuck ton, and honestly will just end face down on the ground, and this is ultimately just more technobabble from money hungry fat cat jews and they themselves will probably be billed a hell of a lot from internet providers due to their big demand of internet bandwidth to run their sites.

Just thinking about this shit just brings so much baggage that implimenting it is utterly pointless and just a hassle for everyone that isnt an e-celeb.

The Illuminati of Internet

on the other hand, intelligent people will use the internet media pipeline less and less and focus more on local issues that can be adequately discussed using paper and sound waves instead of complaining about an obvious jewish conspiracy in malaysia

Nope. Maybe in US, but in (normal) Europe this won't work.
There is no possible non-ambiguous legal distinction between content that gets to your PC protected and content that gets to your PC unprotected. Accusing someone of breaking DRM is like accusing someone of breathing the air you just breather out.

I know this is bullshit purely because there's no Sup Forums mega thread about it.

just a faggot lurker who thinks hes clever by crafting an inane comment with buzzwords in it he saw last night.

Can someone give me a bogdown on this please? Pepe pepe kekistan

This kind of shit is what made me change my last name to Libre and dedicate my life to bettering the world.

What I will be working to create: A domain registrar; webhosting; social network; ecommerce platform; secure messaging system; and the creation of a complete Libre culture full of Libre artistic works. As for the culture and artistic works the plan is to start with the public domain and build from there. If funds allow, buy copyrighted works and ransom them for money to buy more copyrighted works.

any interesting story about your bussines? or some nignogery?

it'll honestly just be a fucking wake up call and may force.

Like trump shitting on the nfl.
its just a big wake up call, and its probably gonna end in a fuck ton of shit.

There is going to be a challenge to copyright and patent durations. You can't copyright forever.

We need to go back to old school and just make our own shit. Music sucks right now, viday sucks, sports suck. Spending too much time watching and not enough time doing.

Dunno how it works in burgerstan but one company owns literally the entire Internet infrastructure in ausfailia. They rent out the lines to other companies.

Checkum, this guy speaks the truth. They will rent us our lives and make us pay with our souls.

if they can implement this they can put you in prison for bypassing it

Good goy. Now go and preorder the new Ass Effect: Trans Adventures.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

internet copyrights should honestly just last five years.

After that, they can be renewed at least twice.

because after that, milking it would be the equivalent of milking a dead bull. after 15 years, the company is more or less gonna transform and be about some other famous game, some cool thing that generates sales.

Idiot. There's no way to stopping people just creating their own networks now that all the infrastructure you'd ever need is in place. Anybody with half a brain knows this.