Fasces

Dafuq is this thing suppose to represent?

I think it's a faggot.

op

Individual people are like sticks that are easily breakable but united together they are strong.

A bundle of sticks bound together with an axe if i am not mistaken.

why not look it to "The original symbol of fascism, in Italy under Benito Mussolini, was the fasces. This is an ancient Imperial Roman symbol of power carried by lictors in front of magistrates; a bundle of sticks featuring an axe, indicating the power over life and death."

The branches symbolize strenght through unity. The axe symbolizes the power over life and death (specifically; the power to issue a death sentence).

/thread

Axe all faggots

>fascist education

Kewl

looks like that tool the based australian kid made in the woods

One of my Latin teachers explained to us that during some era when a tribune paraded through town, his men would carry sticks to beat those that booed or got in the way and axes as a threat to serious offenders.

So it's a symbol of we rule, we don't care what the people think, we're stronger than them.

It's the Roman symbol of authority.

When you were elected to an office, you would be given a fasces with a varying number of sticks depending on that office's rank.

An edgy faggot

it's a sharp faggot. the symbol of our people.

you hit people with a bundle of sticks to punish them and with an axe to kill them

It's a symbol of authority carried around by lictors. Axe symbolizes the state power, bundle of sticks represents the unity of the nation.

underrated as fuck

a bundle of dynamite with an axe taped to it and an ugly chipmunk living on it

>hurr the faggot represents the unity of a nation.
God you morons are thick. A stick represents power and authority, when bundled into a faggot, it’s a centralisation of power. This is why fascism is authoritarian.

Unity of a nation, fuck you guys are fags.

>The symbol for fascism is the most pointless weapon known to man

fpbp

The symbol of fascism is right there in the US House of Representatives.

Rats are bound to stick together?

United together with a fucking axe, you mean

>in the US House of Representatives.
Now THAT is interesting. Also embarrassed I never noticed. Soooo, how many "representatives" think they have the power of life or death handed to them with the office? This might go a ways toward explaining the arrogance of some of these ass hats. No wonder "speaker" Ryan is so smug and arrogant, he must have taken the symbolism to heart. I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with our legislative body appropriating the trappings of an extinct imperialist empire (that had slavery!).
Trivia insert, wear on the bands of the fascia of the Mercury Dime is one of the benchmarks for grading condition.

Bump. This needs more discussion.

Fucking dumb mestizomericans.
Google Fasces.
Spoonfed lard asses

Go open an ancient history book you doublenigger.

It was the symbol of imperium for the roman magistrates since the republic.

It's from the Roman republic you schizoid

Looks like a bundle of sticks, faggot

>It's from the Roman republic you schizoid
What did you think I was referring to if not that?
>an extinct imperialist empire (that had slavery!).

Interesting,

I started this thread mainly because of pic related. It's from the old Batavian flag of my country.

It's a faggot.
It represents bootlicking homosexuals

No one here has gotten the right answer DESU

It was representative of the early justice system in the Roman Republic. The sticks were used to beat the assailant in minor offences, and in major offences they cut their head off with an axe

It's in a lot of places. Most significantly, it's incorporated into the Lincoln Memorial.

I don't think corrupt politicians contemplate much on the traditional western symbolism. If it were up to them thos rayciiiist symbols wou.ld vanish too. Mussolini

a fedora on a fucking stick

Oh shit, I never noticed it had those on there. Cool. Did know about the US House of Representatives, at least.

The Fasces represent the authority and unity of the people, the republic. Roman emissaries would carry the Fasces to identify who they were. It meant they carried with them the will of the people and the might of the legion should anyone harm or disrespect them.

Breaking down the symbol itself the rods represent individuals. They're the same size, shape, and color because the functional state is homogeneous. The bonds holding them together are brotherhood or blood, the shared heritage is what unites the people. The blade exemplifies the fact that we are stronger when united, and can cut through something much larger than the individual is capable of.

Read Livy. you illiterate nigger

why its a mighty faggot.

American ignorance is plain digusting

individually, we are but small sticks. but together, user, we become a mighty faggot

"Vrijheidshoed"

Actually, the rods represent the power of Roman magistrates to inflict corporal punishment, and the axe the power to inflict capital punishment. Within the boundaries of the city of Rome, only the rods were carried within the fasces, as the magistrates' power to inflict capital punishment was strongly limited and required a trial; outside the city, the ax was added because the Romans had no problem killing non-Romans who didn't get with the program. The fasces are a symbol of the authority of the state to enforce its laws with violence.

Interesting the "faggots" on the Lincoln Memorial don't have the axe. Any historians out there know if there was discussion of this by the designer/sculptor Bacon and French.

>outside the city, the ax was added
Ah, maybe that answers my question here:

Washington, Lincoln, and others were shown holding Fasces sans blade to signify the superiority of the republic. It was supposed to project an air of being on such high moral standing that we'd have no enemies.

It represents anywhere from 3.50 to 8,500 USD
Depending on date and condition.

Other than that zero fucks given.

Union of a people around its leader (the axe)

This also goes with the general rule that weapons weren't allowed within the city of Rome

There's debate on that. After all, there clearly were weapons within the city at certain points: during gladiatorial combat and triumphs they would be on clear display, although each is also a ritual context. Suetonius (Vita divi Iulii 82) is explicit that the senators who killed Julius Caesar stabbed him with daggers (pugionibus), although that happened just outside the old pomerium, and it's unclear whether that was considered within the pomerium at the time. Some Roman declamations revolve around private citizens committing murder with swords or collecting caches of weapons in advance of a coup attempt, but those are fictional speeches.

It does not seem reasonable that the Romans would not have been able to keep swords in their own homes - where would they have kept them?

>It's in a lot of places.
How long before the sjw's discover this and relate it to our assuming the trappings of an imperialist power that was built in part on slavery? Will they tear down the chamber of the house of representatives? Will it have to come off of the Seal? This is good bait to draw them out to show how extreme their war on our culture has become. Useful idiots. Useful for our side too.

This already happened in the past, just quietly. The old dimes before Roosevelt's death had fasces on one side and the goddess Liberty on the other; now they bear a torch on one side and Roosevelt's image on the other. It seems that the Italian adoption of the fasces as a symbol of fascism sparked the change on our currency.

What fasces remain in architectural decoration and sculpture are generally pre-WW2. It would not even take an SJW crowd, just moderate liberals, to get those replaced with torches as symbols of "the light of democracy."

a faggot

This

All other guys are retarded trying to understand it as a mataphore

This. The US was using the fasces symbol long before edgy Europeans fascists coopted it. It was originally a symbol of the enlightenment revolutionaries and anti-monarchism. Showing how the people did not need the Kings Sword to defend themselves and enact justice.

A faggot with an axe

Strength in unity.

A faggot with an axe.

Lol

Democracy.

Underrated.

Fascists are hereafter known as faggotists

>It seems that the Italian adoption of the fasces as a symbol of fascism sparked the change on our currency.
This is why I love Sup Forums. I've been collecting U.S. coinage for over 60 years and I've never heard or read that about the Mercury dimes. I wonder if the (suppressed) admiration for the Italians and Germans and their pre-war success in bringing order and prosperity to their countries is why it took until 1945 to change, or was it actually the progressives deifying Roosevelt. I personally think the Mercury is by far the more attractive design.

Yeah Romans just started carrying them because they look cool

Yeah, that's fascism, lol...

bunch of sticks together are strong, with an axe it's dangerous to any who would attack it. simple shit, faggot leaf

Logo of the Guardia Civil in Spanish, the official police of Spain

Of course, but I always thought of it as the inner part of the city, to keep the senators protected against said assassinations an rivalries. and what they called outside the city was still some kind of city. Just like outside the castle is the town or city and within you were most likely asked to turn in your armaments.

Not official police, thats not a thing. They are the rural police, the se have nationality police and municipal police. Plus catalonia navarre and básque country another third group of police each one different

I'd like to add that I've been to the Teatro di Pompeo where Caesar was established to be murdered. And one of interesting things about that place was that senators could interact with people who weren't allowed into the city I never thought of it as much until now. you could say that the theater was outside the city or what was seen as outside the city as it would have been surrounded by more commercial, public or residential buildings from all sides.

it is a symbol dating back to roman times, used to represent strength in unity.

Stick = Invidual
Sticks = Nation
Axe = Leader