The philosophical point of view at Streamline was, "what would the original creator do if he was doing it in English...

>The philosophical point of view at Streamline was, "what would the original creator do if he was doing it in English?" to try to open it up to a western market.
>That was it.
>And sometimes we would change a word here and there, [...] [but] we didn't do a complete repurposing of the story telling.
>We tried to market it for a western audience.
[.....]
>When we did it my theory was that all cartoons are dubbed so they're all dubbed so why subtitle them?
>Especially when you have a cartoon that's so pretty to look at anyway, or it could be gruesome, but still it's an attractive medium to look at.
>So why sully it with words that you're reading and not really watching the show?
>And since they're all dubbed anyway, dub it, localize it for your audience.
>And that was basically the guiding principle of Streamline, was localization so it would get to the broadest mass audience.
>And I don't think that since we stopped doing it people have taken that philosophy to heart and understood what it was.
[.....]
>I was really promoting this stuff and it was a very succesful operation [...] and the whole goal was to EXPOSE people to anime; and in a way that made sense, not in a way that was pretentious, or keeping things so authentic that it would seem obtuse to a general audience.
[.....]
>If I put it out subtitled, my theory is that I would be preaching to the converted, because they already know what it is.
>That to me was the first concept in my head of fan service.
>Why do that, because those people already like it.
>They've probably already seen it through a bootleg copy which some guy subtitled with some cheesy computer program they had themselves.
>So they already had that.
>So why do I need to do that?
>My goal was to sell it to people outside of that demographic.

-Carl Macek, 1951-2010

Bump for interest.

He was the gateway weeaboo.

And your point with this is what, OP?

So he did what would make him more money.

to educate.
read it again.

Dubfags are just as bad as Harmony Gold and people who legitimately prefer Robotech to Macross

>>They've probably already seen it through a bootleg copy which some guy subtitled with some cheesy computer program they had themselves.
>>So they already had that.
They wouldn't pay money for it so he targeted it towards an audience that would.

No matter how you spin it he's just aiming for $$$

OP, why are you such a raging faggot.
We get it, you watch dubs, that's allright, but don't go and parade it around like it's what defines your identity and try to push it onto other people. You're like the vegans or vapers who introduce themselves by name and immedeatly append their snowflake hobby like it's some sort of title.

>I'm going to dumb down three shows into a shitty amalgam and get more money from those losers who like giant robots and shit but don't know what I'm doing to the source material
>and then I'll also prevent ANYONE from licensing the original material OR ANYTHING ELSE RELATED TO IT and distributing it, FOREVER
I'm glad this kook is dead

Nope, I feel strongly about this, because I too once felt the same way, I thought that he was just a shallow business man who was just trying to make a buck off of anime, then I heard this interview and I could hear the genuine love he had for the medium. It transformed the way I think about him and the influence he had on the medium. Like him or hate him, more than half of Sup Forums wouldn't even know what anime is if it weren't for Carl Macek.

>Dubfags are filthy casual normies
Breaking news, OP

Also:
>bootlegs
>subtitled on a personal computer
>in 1979

Dubs aren't anime, take it to Sup Forums.

>Carl Macek
Who?
>Streamline
What?

>>And sometimes we would change a word here and there, [...] [but] we didn't do a complete repurposing of the story telling.
And he reconciles this with robotech how?

>philosophical point of view at Streamline was, "what would the original creator do if he was doing it in English?"
A 'philosophical point of view' isn't a standard, unoriginal way to come up with ideas to marketize a product, fucking amoeba. Just what you would expect from advertisers. You need to be as braindead as the audience to relate to them, know what they want and have the lack of dignity to go through it

By 1985, we were doing that.

Do you have spark notes?

Gayass rationalization for raping the original works of other and spawning a company that is the equivalent of satan of the animeworld.

>we didn't do a complete repurposing of the story telling.
Bullshit.

>My goal was to sell it to people outside of that demographic.
So you're admitting that dubfags don't belong here.