I've just realized that colleges are disgusting

i've just realized that colleges are disgusting.
Technical schools, colleges, and universities have all together just monetized education as a whole.
For example, you literally cannot learn anything by and for your own personal gain without having a degree of equivalent standing.

You need to shill out thousands of dollars, get hand held by a guy through multiple courses. And even at that point, your local college, university, or technical school might not even have that course/pathway to get a degree in those areas where you've bettered yourself in.

you literally either have to shill out a fuck ton of money or get lucky and get born with connections and get an apprenticeship with some people.
you literally cant learn shit yourself anymore and imo thats pretty bad desu.

and when you fail it's your fault too

oh sure you can learn all you want, its not hard to get cheap ass textbooks or technical manuals but even if you DO learn, its worth less than a piece of paper and doesnt count as "experience" unless your uncles cousin neighbor and his company think so.

and thats what I hate. You can be dumb as hell and get any degree, and you'll be worth more than someone who's taught themselves a lot.

These places have capitalized and monopolized education as a source of personal betterment. they're literally jews of the first world.

plywood ceiling my dude. sucks, I wouldnt wish it on anybodies kids/grandkids.

I have a voice like George Takei and Paul Robeson and I still can't get radio stations to accept me as a voice personality.

and I really thought going out of my way and put in time to learn c++, how a cpu works, and make an emulator would better myself to a great degree and would let me bypass college. But fuck me this has been one of the most disheartening shit i've ever experienced.

I know that feel man. Hell I got the degree on top of it and it amounts to jack shit. Your best bet is to freelance stuff or if you can pull it off go rogue and make games or some handy utilities. just dont reveal your powerlevel and dont trust anybody.

most people can look up wether or not you have a degree simply by your name. so i would have to hide behind an internet handle and just never trust anyone.

Re: freelancing, nobody gives even the slightest shit about a degree if you can establish a track record of producing useful things.

Most people are just incapable of independently participating in the economy. Corporations rely on markers like university degrees to decide who to assimilate because they can't effectively test for competence and conscientiousness.

but I mean if you take the time and create achievements like an emulator for many people to use and have decently run. I think that accounts to something atleast.

We dont pay for education or have colleges so i cant relate.

You just now figured that out?

Boy where have you been. This has been the colleges plan for at least a decade now.
>Elementary and High Schools brain wash kids into thinking they will be miserable without a degree.
>Most places require at least a two year degree of any kind to be hired, some want a four.
>Colleges tell you to "find you self", and by that they mean they want you to change your major five times so that way you pay more tuition.
>Many degrees and general ed are bloated with useless classes like Cinema.
>People are encouraged to go into worthless degrees like african studies and gender studies.
>Colleges revive about 50% of their income through taxes (so your paying twice for school)
>Grants the three big text book companies exclusivity over there classes, often leading to the books becoming as expensive as the actual class.

Unless you are smart and understand the game, there is no reason to go to college.
If your degree is anything but a STEM-L and certificate, there is no reason to go to college.
If you are already employed and are specialized, there is no reason to go to college.

Mostly they just don't want to take the time to critically evaluate your project and determine whether it represents a holistic knowledge of software engineering.
If nobody is paying you for your emulator you have failed to independently participate in the economy. No shame in that, that's 90+ percent of us.

>Muh free College meme
So you think learning should be free? You think that the teachers should be slaves and work for nothing, and that my money should be taken from me and used to give you free books.

And all so at the end of it all, you get to leapfrog into a high paying professional job and enjoy a high standard of living while many of the people you taxed to get there live paycheck to paycheck.

Kill youself you selfish faggot.

I am very confused. Your flag does not match what you said at all.

You can get in touch with companies and show them your work and get hired straight out of high school if you're too good for college, should work for tech and design related jobs.

Sorry, i left it on from the other day when i was shitposting as a commie.

>For example, you literally cannot learn anything by and for your own personal gain without having a degree of equivalent standing.
You're an idiot lmao

This gets easier the further away from "engineering" you are. There is really no point to getting a degree to become a front end web faggot.

Only real exceptions are trade schools but those in America are somewhat rare and depending if you distinguish yourself (and choose a good trade) you can get some nice connections too.

>Get degree in engineering
>Before college earned a lot of money maintaining server farms and installing small business networks
>After college looking for job talk to recruiters about server hardware careers
>"Oh but you're [degree], you don't know this"
>Meanwhile get hired elsewhere and pick up bonuses for repairing the company's billing server system
It's almost as if people would rather listen to a piece of paper than test your knowledge themselves.

they like labels.

I'd be fine with college shit if you can request a final immediately and you get four tests, over the course of a month. you gotta pass them with a 90% and above. I'd be utterly fine with this, but damn it might get abused, but even at that point, colleges are over saturated, expensive and already being abused by people who dont actually try to learn anything except memorize for the next test and then forget the shit later.

That would be better, but they are business, a corrupt one at that.

At least I am learning some useful skills like Drafting and Calculus.
Its kind of hard to find these skills as useless. And if I need the extra money, I can use the skills I learned in drafting to draw cringey fetish art on DeviantART for a commission.
20 bucks is 20 bucks.

and just had another thought.

have the price per try to be like 10K-15K.

That will prevent abuse from most people simply because the price for the courses would be lower significantly than the risk of this idea.

i also should learn how to draw pretty well as another way to try and earn income.

Or better yet you could just remove the subsidiaries that these colleges get.
With those gone, they are going to have cut out useless crap and raise prices.
This change should keep the most serious of students with the most worth while of programs.
My college has 4-6 tutoring programs on campus. I may use them maybe once or twice per class, 5 if the class says it is mandatory.
They also have a doctors office, small campus transit system, and other shit.

I don't want to pay for these if I don't want to use them. Nor do I want to be in the same class as the students who think this is still highschool.

i absolutely agree with you in this regard

also, a transit system for a college lol

The Campus is at the base of a mountain. So you if you where to park at the bottom most parking lot (parking often sucks) and you have to climb to the top of the campus, you have to walk about a 1/4th of a mile and and about 7 floors up. Its not used often, but we also have our fair share of 500+lb teachers and students.

that sounds nice if you arent doing it in the middle of the morning

here i can get all those things with the poors tax money, so i get to be a medic that charges a whole fucking lot.

the reason they charge such an amount is because welfare, governments taxing hospitals because welfare recipients being prone to get sick, they go to hospitals, they cant afford the bill, the government has to pay, then the government taxes hospitals more.

Very vicious continual cycle of inflation.
also the 9/10 doctors recommend to not be a doctor attitude that is highly prevalent in modern medical fields and first world countries.

Not to mention accreditation institutions and departments of higher education i.e. board of regents.

They actually require that every college and university include the survey on demographics for funding besides the federal govt.

They actually imposed the requirement for every accredited college and university to have diversity course as a general education requirement for graduation. Also known as intercultural/global and global citizen. Diversity course always contain white-bashing propaganda.

College is a racket.

If you can make people money and you can convince them of that ability, they will hire you with or without a degree -- unless the government gets in the way. For example, only half of software developers have software-related degrees. In contrast, many states won't let you charge money for a simple haircut without years of training.

Start a podcast. Grow it. Get a couple of advertisers. Prove you can bring in dough and the radio stations may start coming to you instead.

yep

Number one reason why I saw colleges as a waste of time and decided to try and stay away from it.

Is there a commercial need for emulators? It might help to build a demo that companies could more easily see as related to what they do.

Also, if you haven't already, check out functional programming. That appears to be the direction things are moving in. Learn a language like Haskell, Clojure, Scala, or F#. It will broaden your horizons.

Hot take from 2012 my dude. Turns out most people don't want to do half a PhD in type theory to write practical software. The most useful paradigms from FP (FRP for example) are being folded back in to mainstream PLs.

that mean that fp isnt the direction things are moving in?

>>Colleges revive about 50% of their income through taxes (so your paying twice for school)

Implying most people in college even work

>monetized education as a whole
no they haven't. the very best education comes not from a school
it comes from experience

kek

The hype burned off and people realized that the stuff they were doing was a) fucking impossible for average software people to understand and b) pretty much performed like shit.
Computers are, surprise, machines that sequentially execute instructions to modify state and programming them as if they aren't is not always productive or natural.
Of course there are a ton of good ideas there but those are often being "stolen" by the mainstream. So you can say things have moved in that direction but I don't see big growth in Scala or Haskell.