I just finished Princess Tutu for the first time, and i'm in love

I just finished Princess Tutu for the first time, and i'm in love.
The characters were great, the story was great.
The only thing i'm disappointed in is Ahiru became a duck and never went back to being human again ;_;

Let's have a Tutu thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg
youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
youtu.be/XjooRuCbNmY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I also never expected this to be good, but was surprised, except maybe for a pretty slow start.
It seems to be pretty divisive around here.

Best boy won.

I felt like the start was pretty slow, too. Though I was expecting it, since i'm a magical girl fan.

I put it on hold for a few months to finish some other anime. But I went back to it a few days ago, and jesus, that second half..
I just kept getting hungry for more, and before I knew it I was done with the anime.
I'm sad there's not an OVA or anything, though.

Divisive? Tutu is one of the few things I've seen on Sup Forums that are nearly universally loved.

Mytho's a lucky son of a bitch
Rue's a cute

Best AMV for Princess Tutu
youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

I love it when enemies are just being manipulated without knowing it in the end. Fucking crows.

>First episode has Tutu and Mytho helping a baby bird leave the nest and learn to fly
>Penultimate episode
>"The final heart shard was shaped like a pair of fluttering wings. Wings for the people who had spent a comfortable time inside the story to leave the nest with. Wings for the Prince to return to himself with"

I was hooked from the first episodes, I think the only "bad" parts were those breather episodes right after the god-tier end of the first arc. Drosselmeyer was an amazing antagonist, only character I didn't really care about was Mytho.

I didn't even start caring about Mytho's presence until the raven blood started sending him more off the deep end.

;___;

same. It's cliche, but I love it when you think you know the big bad, but it happens to be something else, entirely.

I liked how it seemed as if it would end with the obvious pairing at first but actually didn't. The pairing Ahiru/Fakir was something that needed actual development instead of Ahiru and Mytho, who was more of a first crush to her. I actually thought he was the main enemy at first.

>I actually thought he was the main enemy at first.
Same with me
But instead Fakir turned out to be the best tsundere

I hated Fakir at the beginning, though I usually tend to hate tsunderes as a whole. But something about him was super charming. Plus, he's cute with Ahiru.
I'm glad the anime ended pretty ambiguously. Nowhere is it stated that Ahiru and Fakir really ended up falling in deep love or anything. You can interpret it as deep friendship if anything.

>something about him was super charming
He's a classic tsundere done right, kinda like Syaoran.

I also like it because I guess I have a thing for alleged villains who enjoy acting smug but who actually only act that way to cover their weaknesses and are just a tool themselves, without being aware of it.
It's often difficult to depict them that way, since anime tend to make antagonists do things that can't be forgiven with a hard past, but it worked here and Rue was never really evil to begin with.

I was about to mention Syaoran, actually but I completely forgot his name. But that's a good comparison.
Actually, Ahiru/Fakir, reminds me of Sakura/Syaoran a lot.

>The only thing i'm disappointed in is Ahiru became a duck and never went back to being human again ;_;

Don't worry, Fakir can alter reality at will so there's hope yet.

I am so glad this aired before Sup Forums was a thing. That way it's just an eternal classic and I will never associate it with any kind of shitposting and fan wars.
Although I wish more people knew about it.

It's both a blessing and a curse that this show isn't well known
not even trying to be a hipster, here.

>68 pages on pixiv
That's more than I expected. Did the director ever do any other original?

I've always been meaning to get to it but I can never seem to go through it like I do with other magical girl anime. I don't know why but even though I'm more than halfway done with it I still don't like it. It's really bothering me since I'm usually a sucker for these kinds of things. Maybe it's because I don't have the analytical skills to completely understand, maybe it's because it's much mellower than other magical girl shows, or maybe it's because it's one of those shows where you have to look back at it to appreciate it. For what it's worth I absolutely love the incorporation of ballet. That mid season climax where she danced without Mytho is simply pure genius. And I always do get a laugh out of the cat wanting to marry everyone and the weird noises he makes.

>I don't know why but even though I'm more than halfway done with it I still don't like it.
The story slows down for a few episodes after the midway climax, but it picks back up in episode 16.

I think I'm actually around 20. It's hard to tell with Wikipedia's list. Everything just seems so specific but I never remember any of it. It took me forever to remember where I left off the last time I picked it back up. Every episode just looks the same to me. I bet I couldn't even pick out any specific ones to mention if you asked me.

The last four episodes make for a great satisfying climax, if you liked episode 13 it's going to get even better. That's when the series goes in "shit gets real" territory.

Well I'm definitely going to finish now that it's summer and I have all this free time. I just forgot about it until I saw this thread. Wish me luck.

I just really loved the voice acting.

I found it weird that Ahirus voice actress was such a b-lister and hardly did any important roles aside from this.

For what it's worth, I agree with you entirely, more or less. I also usually gobble down magical girl shows (I just marathoned Gakuen Alice in the last two nights), and Tutu seems to have it all, but yet I'm just not falling for it for some reason I can't explain.

>The only thing i'm disappointed in is
I thought it was the most appropriate way to end the story. Have to get rid of all the story elements, even the good ones.

Just for the record, I did still finish it, though.

OP here.
The pace became really slow in the middle for me, too. I actually ended up putting it on hold a couple of months ago so I could finish other anime.
Just watch it. You don't really have to think to deeply about it, it's a show aimed at kids in Japan.

OP here again.
Ikuko Itoh was the one that basically made this story I believe.
But if you're talking about Junichi Sato, I know he and Itoh worked on Sailor Moon, so if you haven't seen that i'd highly recommend it.
He also worked on Ojamajo Doremi which is another favorite of mines.

The only other original anime I've seen that Junichi Satou directed is Tamayura, but he's done several other originals between 1995 and 2010. Considering his work on Aria, Tutu, Tamayura, and Ojamajo Doremi I treat anything he was involved in as being worth a try.
She has a pretty odd voice and I don't think she sings or anything, so I imagine she didn't get selected often unless the staff decided she was an absolutely perfect fit for a role. Wikipedia says that the original creator of Tutu had picked her out to be Ahiru long before they started animating it.

Yeah, seems like Itoh never did an original again which is quite sad but not uncommon for series I like. I think it was the same with the director of Dennou Coil or the one who made Noein.

My favorite voices in animation tend to be these types. Who just get picked randomly. As well as having unorthodox voices that most people would find annoying. Amelia from Slayers is another good one.

I loved the use of the music in this show.

Especially that episode where the Great Gate of Kiev was used. Goddamn.

Are you talking about the japanese or english dub?
The original japanese cast had really great voice acting. I could listen to Ahiru's scratchy yet cute duck for hours on end

duck voice* awkward typo there..

Same. It's a great show to watch if you're a classicalmusic fag

I hated him too at first and was all over Mytho, but he was a super cute tsundere and became best boy in the end.

I love bittersweet endings but it still hurts to remember.

>classicalmusic fag
That's proabaly why I liked the show so much.
I would hear Scheherazade start up and play along on my air-violin.

She looks flufy

I doubt Sup Forums will shitpost about it when it was aired. Its kinda what happend with rakugo threads, the series didn't call for attention from shitposters, its one of these cases when the series by itself attracts the kind of attention it deserves.

My friend never watched this show because he hated the idea of animal characters. Yet he loves every other Junichi Sato show. When he started demanding I watch Kaleido Star, I reminded him it was made by the same guy who did Princess Tutu and said I'd watch it if he watched Tutu. He completely stopped talking to me after that. What a stubborn idiot.

Fakir is best boy
10/10 would write cute love stories for

Wow.
If he ditched you because of that, he sounds like a really shitty friend.

This.

You see this with Sora no Woto, another more or less universally loved show on Sup Forums. Threads to talk about it don't live very long and die quickly, probably because people recognize that no discussion is better than bad ""discussion"".

I wonder how many started watching because of this AMV? myself included

Kraehe is the first anime girl that made me think "She's beautiful" instead of simply cute or pretty.

Maybe it's the eyeshadow, or the hair style..i'm not too sure.
I agree, she's gorgeous.

At this point I'm more interested in those who dislike it.

I actually only heard of this AMV last year or so.
I watched Princess Tutu because I saw it up on Youtube back when everything was on that site, around 2005-6 I think. Went in watching it with no info but ended up really liking it.

DUDE DANCEOFF LMAO: The Show

>no discussion is better than bad ""discussion"".
Something generalfags don't seem to realize

never really got that vibe from this show, honestly.

I still sometimes jerk off to just an image of her. I wouldn't call her my waifu but she's pretty hot.

This shot enraged me when I first saw it. Even though I loved these characters.

Raven Rue is number two on the list of best uses of Gymnopedie in anime, right behind Disappearance, of course..

youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

I hated these 2 bitches. They really didn't deserve to have Ahiru as a friend. More specifically the blonde one.

Rue is such a fucking a shit, when will Ruefags learn?

I liked it but never thought much of it.

A couple people have mentioned it but episode 13's midseason climax may be the best episode of any anime I've seen, it's so perfect that I feel like I could have watched another 13 episodes of slice of life. Overall Princess Tutu is easily one of my favorite anime and I'm always glad for the short threads we get like this once in awhile.

>Erik Satie
Huh. I could've sworn this was a Debussy piece.

I liked the show a lot but I started laughing at the Fakir Inside the Tree scenes because I realized Ahiru's main magic powers were being dramatic.

How does an anime this good have a manga that bad?

Fakir was husbando tier.

Ahiru's VA was godtier. Ear gouging at first but quickly endearing, exactly how a duck turned girl should sound.

The manga was written in conjunction with the anime, but not the same story. The core Princess Tutu team were working on the anime.

I didn't read your post but that pic is maximum cute.

She really is gorgeous.

Best combination between animation and music I have ever seen along with Tom and Jerry.
It is seriously an outstanding job what they did there, it requires an incredible amount of effort and passion.

tutu is in my top 5

>How does an anime this good have a manga that bad?
How bad was the manga?

It wasn't bad. It just had very little in common with the anime. And lacked the good development of the characters. Focused more on the random animal aspect (kind of).

Reminds me of a friend that likes "cute girls doing cute things", Precure and LWA as well as shounen shit. I was trying to convince him to watch Tutu, but he said, basing on a review he saw on YT, that it doesn't look "hype."

I'm at lost.

While I definitely agree that this one is awesome, I think this AMV is also pretty high up there.

youtu.be/XjooRuCbNmY