The new generation of kids will never experience staying up late at night to witness an adventure filled with death...

>the new generation of kids will never experience staying up late at night to witness an adventure filled with death, horror, despair, and deep a sense of melancholy
>instead they'll go on their phones to watch shitty comedies like Adventure Time

What went wrong?

Nothing went wrong. It wasn't that great and Adventure Time isn't bad.

>Inuyasha
Not a big loss.

Nigga, in comparison to western TV and other anime airing at the time, Inuyasha was revolutionary. The amount of gore and nudity alone blew my mind when I saw it as a kid.

Yeah no. Inuyasha and the rest of the stuff on Toonami and Adult Swim may have been bad but it got so many kids into anime and turned some of them into proper anons. It did something right and compared to the garbage kids watch today like Adventure Time or Steven Universe those shows are leagues ahead of them

Came here to post this.

So you're saying we should pander to children and normalfags in the hopes that SOME of them MIGHT turn out to be good some time in the future?

>instead they'll go on their phones to watch shitty comedies like Adventure Time

What if they're actually chatting their girlfriend from another universe?

but since all kids have phones now, all kids can watch anime. circle of life, I still meet kids 8-9 who are just getting into the original pokemon or Dragon Ball

user pls

>Caring about what the west has to say about anime.
Nothing on Toonami got me to watch anime, I was watching "cartoons" up until 10th grade when I found out they were called "anime". Get your nostalgia out of here.
>Wanting more people from gaia and reddit to come here.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Please op move you thread to /r9k/ or Sup Forums

Isn't that more or less the entire psychology of society as a whole?

I swear Adult Swim only filled their block with anime to pander to weeaboo neckbeards

Cowboy bebop was the most popular because it was the only one well drawn/animated/etc and they thought "our audience clearly only love anime lets add more anime and make it Toonami 2.0"

>>the new generation of kids will never experience staying up late at night to witness an adventure filled with death, horror, despair, and deep a sense of melancholy
Kids didn't do that. YOU did that, you and a handful of others like you. Most kids watched Animaniacs and Courage the cowardly dog and became normalfags.

Nothing

>Animaniacs

A classic that stacks up against any Chinese cartoon

Adventure time is good

Don't know about anyone else here, but my first introduction to anime was Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon on UPN or whatever. A little later I watched some anime on Sci-Fi channel. Then before Toonami I think there was a time where Cartoon Network was showing Speed Racer and G-Force.

Nowadays kids can just boot up Netflix and dip their toes in whatever shitty seasonal anime. And if they want to dive deeper, M.D. Geist is always on YouTube. I think we'll be alright.

Adult Swim is shit, by the way. Anime Unleashed on TechTV is where it was at for early 2000s TV-watchable anime.

>Steven Universe
This has so many references to anime I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a good deal of cross-over.

>Netflix
I kind of lament the fact that kids will never know the joy of Saturday morning cartoons... but then again I never had the chance to watch cartoons whenever so it balances out.

what you recommend to do instead, watch anime?

>shitty comedies like Adventure Time
Are you one of those people who get offended when someone says they don't like anime?

OP, I've thought about that general subject a fair bit myself. Kids growing up in the next decade or two are going to be unimaginably different, that's for sure. More than the absence of early-00s type anime, I worry about the lack of optimistic, forward-looking scifi like Star Trek: TNG as well as the lack of shows that teach in a way that's intriguing and not dumbed-down or kiddified too much like Bill Nye or Reading Rainbow.

Maybe I'm just missing it but most of the shows and movies produced now are grimdarkedgy, junk food pop crap, or nearly brainless kid crap. I can't see that having a positive impact.

>I kind of lament the fact that kids will never know the joy of Saturday morning cartoons... but then again I never had the chance to watch cartoons whenever so it balances out.
I'll never forget grabbing the bag of baby carrots from the fridge and watching bugs bunny reruns on saturday mornings as a little kid. It was easily one of the highlights of the week.

I don't know about you but I hated everything on Toonami and it did more to push me away from this hobby than it ever did to draw me in.

Is this the "my childhood is better than yours" thread? I wanna play.

still waiting for sequel with Hibiki+Dita's kid

While I agree we could use another TNG, the original TNG is on Netflix and still good as new, if a bit blurry. I don't know about Bill Nye or Reading Rainbow, but I'm sure there are equivalents somewhere on YouTube.

I don't think there's a problem with choice these days. It's more about parents choosing the right programming for their children. Which has always been the case. You neglect to mention all the wacky shit that used to air on Nickelodeon (Weinerville, anyone? I still have nightmares).

Getting back to anime, I'd say the time has never been better for newcomers. You can watch loads of shows subbed, on demand, as they air and without shitty VHS quality.

>watch loads of shows subbed
That is kind of a problem. It's pretty easy to watch almost every show that comes out of Japan and burn out in a hurry. Then again the average anime fan lifespan has always been rather short, usually just covering high school or secondary years.

Steven Universe is so bad... it hurts

I was really young when TNG was on and most 90s children are more familiar with the darker DS9 than they were with TNG.
I was almost 6 when TNG ended.

>>the new generation of kids will never experience staying up late at night to witness an adventure filled with death, horror, despair, and deep a sense of melancholy
>>instead they'll go on their phones to watch shitty comedies like Adventure Time
>What went wrong?

There is no benefit of staying up late... unless you're a NEET

Also, more and more Sup Forumsmericans watch anime more than ever, even on the go thanks to no-data-cap arrangment between T-mobile + hulu/netflix and AT&T+ crunchyroll

Addendum: The post cold war optimism of the 90s looks incredibly fucking stupid in hindsight, in general.

This is some 9gag 90's kids tier shitposting.