Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95LAL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft#U.S._programs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_space
youtube.com/watch?v=kR5gefU87TY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dotn need that when you can manipulate the atmosphere around your ship to manipulate the mass of your vehicle so low you can zip.

>when you can manipulate the atmosphere around your ship

[citation needed]

>to manipulate the mass of your vehicle

I think you mean weight. mass wouldn't change even with lower gravity

Illegal, as is launching nuclear material into space. The wisdom here is you don't want to accidentally spread nuclear material across the atmosphere.

it's not illegal. there have been experiments done on it, just nothing officially in service.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95LAL

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft#U.S._programs

etc.

>The wisdom here is you don't want to accidentally spread nuclear material across the atmosphere.

there would have been shielding. we already transport nuclear weapons in airplanes.

Project Pluto.

There is no way that you can convince me that the government did not get their modern aircrafts by reverse engineering crashed UFOs.

you don't put the world's best weapon in anything that can't take a hit

Soviets did better at nuclear bombers probably because they were less concerned about pilot safety and radioactive emissions. Nuclear subs ended up being a better idea. That still didn't stop the flying crow bar.

You just don't know enough about engineering to see these as anything but magic from the sky men. It's understandable but still embarrassing.

Horten Ho 229 looks better than this, it looks more like an alien craft and this was in WWII.
Was made out of wood too

the concept has been around since the 1940's

than you're an idiot

the geometry of the B-2 and the F-117 was limited by the computers they were drawn on when designing the radar adsorbent surfaces, they could only have so many polygons

>the crew can fly away safely while 5 tons of nuclear material plummets to a random location

Yeah this is a weird prototype that never got past that drawing. The real hurdle for the US was shielding the crew from radiation and not ending up to heavy to fly. We ended up using "progressive shielding" which was relatively safe but the project got canned in favor of subs and project Pluto which eliminated the crew and need for shielding. The real shame is that the GM direct airflow design won out over the Pratt Whitney indirect heat ducted design. The major difference being that the GM design had radioactive exhaust.

The shielding required weighs enough that a plane powered by an onboard nuclear reactor would have to be impractically large.

>A triangle

how can human minds even compete?

>why don't we fucking spread radioactive material everywhere?

>american education
what is engineering, you sweaty fuck

Partially correct. Progressive shielding was used that used a series of fairly exotic materials to more or less block individual parts of the radiation emitted by the reactor from the crew. The shielding was never meant to protect the outside environment from anything. In fact the GM direct airflow design was chosen for the engine that passed air directly over the radioactive elements if the reactor thus creating radioactive exhaust. They were always more concerned with the pilots than everyone else.

>If the automatic powered Airplane were to lose control and become a dirty bomb the crew can escape in a much smaller plane that they are already inside of
Great idea!

Yeah since 1947!

>what is engineering
It's when aliens subliminally imbue immigrants with advance knowledge before they arrive in our lands, otherwise we wouldn't need immigrants for advances in technology.

Also the NB-36H did just fine carrying a functional reactor into the air plenty of times. It just wasn't used in propulsion so when I said partially correct. I really meant you have a point but are completely wrong.

how was tthat supposed to work? I know that nuclear spacraft was supposed to detonate mini nukes as a propellant but obviously you can't do that in Earth's atmosphere.

Its a bad idea, look at all of the nuclear subs leaking into the ocean. We cant have that over our cities or anyone elses.

Oh, they used propellers it seems

Nuclear ramjet. Air is forced into the reactor via forward movement of the craft. Air is directly passed over the very hot reactor, thermal expansion occurs, the hot radioactive air is ejected out of the back, thrust is generated. CIA niggers glow in the dark.

Scary shit. Just think if those became a thing and Russia and USA built and launched a bunch of those in a panic. None of these economic debates, racial politics, humanitarian crises, culture wars or ideological battles would matter or have occurred. Those things would zip around the air for months or years after everyone was killed.

Alex Jones pls go

I don't think that would work. Normal propellers powered electrically from the reactor - yes. I'm surprised they didn't actually manage to build one

You'll never beat the ruskies with that attitude son.

Oh it worked.

not if our space lasers don't shoot it down first

ramjets are fast, but light is faster

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

You can also do a nuclear thermal rocket like pic related, but that's more useful for spacecraft than aircraft.

also this bit

>Since nuclear power gave it almost unlimited range, the missile could cruise in circles over the ocean until ordered "down to the deck" for its supersonic dash to targets in the Soviet Union. The SLAM as proposed would carry a payload of many nuclear weapons to be dropped on multiple targets, making the cruise missile into an unmanned bomber. After delivering all its warheads, the missile could then spend weeks flying over populated areas at low altitudes, causing tremendous ground damage with its shock wave and radiation from its unshielded reactor. When it finally lost enough power to fly, and crash-landed, the engine would have a good chance of spewing deadly radiation for months to come.

That is the Pratt Whitney design I was spergin' about. Its as heavy as Dolly Parton's glorious tittys so we went with the light and evil design.

>yo dawg I heard you like planes
>so we put a plane in yo plane etc.

i'll bet we've got a few stashed

Just thinking about all those dead glowing commies makes my peepee hard.

That was in the 60's we can do way better than that.

Because nuclear is for faggots.

Electrostatic or go home.

we've probably got so many insane weapons stashed away waiting for the nukes to fly, but just saying i'll bet we made a few of those too and stashed them while pretending we didn't.

There was this too, but the reactor didn't actually provide power for thrust, it was just to test a flying reactor.

Damn sexy plane though.

The DOD did have a program for a nuclear powered aircraft, but it was a cover story for the development of the molten salt reactor at oakridge national lab in the 50s. They never intended to put one in an aircraft but needed money for R&D so they lied about its intended purpose. It was just an alternative reactor with an excellent design, but it had the fundamental flaw of not creating plutonium.

No?

>aliens game here from space
>aliens travel by jet engine.

Probably needed a really unsafe (very hot) nuclear reactor to replace jet fuel. Jet fuel in jet engines is basically the ideal thing because you're reacting air with fuel. A nuclear jet requires a huge amount of heat transfer which is not necessary with jet fuel turbines, which mix air with fuel and combust very rapidly. A nuclear jet would need a huge heat exchanger.

If this doesn't make sense, learn about jet engines and thermodynamics.

Where are the nuclear-powered aircraft?

Shaniqua's 8 children need new shoes and then later the boys need to be housed in prison and the girls will all have 8 children of their own. Niggers are the reason we dont have bases on Mars and the cure for cancer.

>and the cure for cancer.

Curing it isn't profitable.

So it would only work if traveling very fast?

Neither are niggers, so don't act all pious that we don't fight big pharma when you cant handle population control for worthless members

this wuld b bad 4 deh invironmint xddd

We need thorium MSRs for that.

>Neither are niggers

Sure they are.

They eat garbage, they keep the prison complexes going, constantly engaged in buying things they can't afford, more interested in material than mental.

They might not be profitable to (You), but they are definitely profitable.

So the B-2, got it.

Daily reminder we already tested a nuclear powered jet in the NV desert. Called project pluto.

It literally spews radiation everywhere it passes over. It's like a real moonlight butterfly from Turn A except you get fucked with rads.

Literally retard-tier tech

Jesus Christ I thought fallout was a parody.

So because your cooling mechanism is also your means of propulsion you have absolutely no speed control, and the craft must jeep moving at all times or else the reactor will go critical, brilliant.

I imagine this was one of the biggest problems.

>detonate mini nukes as a propellent
Ah yes, project Orion

You have some speed control but yeah probably don't want to be around if it came to a sudden abrupt stop.
I mean the thing isn't delivering meals on wheels it's a nuclear powered cruise missile precursor to the MIRV that is designed to be more or less a doomsday weapon. Who cares if the reactor goes critical the bastard has been lobbing multi megaton warheads for months. It's also a fun deterrent against shooting it down over your airspace.

Nuclear is very heavy. You need lots of water. There's also the concern that a plane crash could rain down radioactive material on almost anyplace.

yet they made this thing to service nuclear aircraft engines.

the flying wing idea has existed basically since we started building successful flying machines. there was a lot of talk about them in the 20s and 30s too. it was just impractical for prop-engine aircraft due to space and engine-position constraints. jet engines quite literally streamlined wing designs, as seen in the Ho-229 and other designs of the period.

You know very little about the US nuclear aircraft program.

Features. Biggest features.

Sweet thread...Thorium reactors were being developed for the airforce in the 60s. Sorensen has a bunch of material available on it. New reactors based on this design are bein commercialized at the moment and the first plan should be operational within 10 years. Really looking forward to catch on. This is necessary tech for development in isolated area including space. The future is nearly here fuckers.

>Where are the nuclear-powered aircraft?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

Thank you Russia. I'm almost glad we didn't eventually choose to wipe your civilization from the face of the earth with nuclear fire. Almost.

I knew a guy who worked with satellites and he told me that several attempts have been made to launch nuclear satellites. Some fail and simply fall in the ocean. But no one says anything because every nation is trying.

>You don't have to tell me what happened, but you do have to eat this

Got any info on the available radioisotope occurrences in asteroids?

We already have nuclear powered satellites

user, they had them. now they are using the same designs for weather mod. instead of the steam turning a jet turbine, they just make steam.

lol. your monopoles are cute (and nonphysical)

That's fucking stupid. Why do so many Americans make retarded posts?

it's interesting how the coolest technologies ever invented were in the cold war. Now folks invent the wheel anew. All was done by German Jews just after war already

>oldfag detected

>you are an oldfag for knowing about that greentext
God, I hate nu-pol.

this

>Russia has sent about 40 reactors into space

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_space

>We already have nuclear powered satellites

Radioisotope decay heating?

these things exist and still exist, both russia and US have LRNBs, they supposedly leak radiation where-ever they fly, so they aren't used

>My government reverse engineered crashed intergalactic space ships and all they got for it was a different shaped air plane and some lousy IR absorbent paint.

youtube.com/watch?v=kR5gefU87TY