Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1583

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36970
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

がんばろう~

>that chair when all out of motivation
>haven't read anything in 2 days

Anyone here tried bacopa? I heard it has pretty much no side effects and helps with memorization/focus.

ファッゴトたち、質問がある。 手伝ってください!

夜中と真夜中は、同じ意味を持っているようと思う。

本当にそうなの?

I'd imagine 真 there does the same thing it does to everything you can add it to, it just means like really or truly X

Midnight
REALLY midnight

>Bacopa monnieri, syn. Herpestis monniera, is important in Ayurvedic medicine and has been used, particularly in India, for several thousand years in the belief that it helps mental functioning, including comprehension (Dhi), memory (Dhriti), and recollection (Smriti).[2]
>the belief
Sounds like bollocks to trick dumb hippies into wasting their money.

That was some of the lewdest things ever

It has a lot of studies. It just has been used in India before those studies.

>Kenkyusha

>Tfw takes me an hour to read 2 pages of an LN

I am aiming for Todai, Kyodai, Handai, etc. Not pleb-tier, just kidding I love you.
It's a full ride scholarship.
Math was the hardest exam I have ever seen, and I've even been in olympiads.
My scores were:
Math: 90
Physics: 80
Chem: 50 (yeah, I know I didn't study chem)
English: 90
Jap: 140
I am from 南米 by the way.

Sorry for posting now that nobody gives a shit.

What is "really midnight" supposed to mean then? Midnight is just a time of the day, how am I supposed to intensify a word that only means 00:00?

I'd imagine it just has the nuance of being like right on the dot of midnight, or right smack bang in the middle of the night, if there even is any difference, I'm just guessing based on what 真 does in everything else

Nice simplified kanji there, but I raise a
見ヶ〆料

but the next two pages take 59 minutes and 59 seconds

>南米

Where are you from, exactly? I'm sadly a ブラジル人 so it's nice to see other people from my shitty continent here.

what made the math exam so difficult?

I'm your neighbor, パラグアイ人.
It's just not your usual exam, first part is really weird. The second part is REALLY hard, the first problem (two are worth 25 points each) involves calculus. Easy calculus though, the second one involves calculus at the university level. Third year engineering students here do those type of problems.

You're probably right, thanks.

Where'd you apply for it?

Go consult your japanese embassy.

I'm guessing you're another user? I thought I read something about having to pass the exam in order to take part in some program that organizes that sorta stuff back then.

I'm the same user, I literally went to my japanese embassy's website and looked for it there. The application is also in the embassy and they are in charge of the testing.

>Physics and Chem
The nips are really on that STEM.

>トムは二十年来日本語の勉強を続けている。

Jesus Christ Tom get it together.

How are you supposed to learn these nonsensical pleasantries? Is there some list of them somewhere? Because dictionaries are useless for deciphering them.

Shit dude I just checked my Japanese embassy's website and there's a shitload of information and guides on studying in Japan or working there as some sort of scholastic mediator
I'm probably just retarded but I had no clue embassies were this useful, thanks for leading me there user I would've never thought about it

by watching anime

yotsuba says them wrong anyway because she's 5

どれだけ勉強しても絶対に習得出来ない
恐るべき言葉、その名は日本語

You fell for the meme, son.
Yotsuba is completely useless as beginner material because of the high amount of slang and deliberately misspelled shit.

>Because dictionaries are useless for deciphering them.
That would be because Yotsuba constantly fucks them up. If you followed the guide and picked up the reading pack it'd tell you what she most likely tried to say.

just finished the first volume of yotsubato

i wouldn't call it useless if you have the googling ability of at least a twelve year old

you'll find the same slang anywhere else, though maybe not the deliberately misspelled shit

>this again
Yotsubato is a great manga for beginners. Even if it has a lot of slang and deliberate misspellings, the regular conversations of the other characters are still grammatically correct and for the most part easy to follow.
Hell even without the reading pack half the slang that occurs is either slurring of ない to ねぇ and すごい to すげぇ, doesn't take long to figure out.

ケサランパサラン

I've been having that feeling since I picked it up, honestly. The dialogue itself is usually very simple, but the slang and deliberately incorrect phrases and so on can make it challenging sometimes.

>If you followed the guide and picked up the reading pack it'd tell you what she most likely tried to say.
I downloaded the reading pack but it seems next to useless. The "sentence list" doesn't actually cover most of the sentences and the vocab deck seems to be missing a lot of the vocab too.

I've just been using the Yen Press scans when I get stuck, but they don't really help in a lot of the above cases because things like Yotsuba mispronouncing words can't be translated literally. At best it lets me see that the sentence seems like nonsense because it actually is nonsense, but it doesn't give me any idea as to what the correct sentence was supposed to be.

Good job. How'd you find it, dumb spongeposter?

Now do the 2nd volume

>i wouldn't call it useless if you have the googling ability of at least a twelve year old
I've ( ) been googling stuff I don't understand but I can't always make sense of the explanations because usually the only resources available are in Japanese and typically use language which is a lot more complex than what's in Yotsuba.

>he thinks you can finish studying japanese
>he thinks it's actually possible to be "done"

Bad news for you buddy. You're never done. You just stop caring at some point.

it was boring as fuck at first, but i like it now.

will do, sir.

>A third of the way through RTK
>"NOW I'M GOING TO STOP CREATING STORIES. WRITE THIS BOOK YOURSELF, FUCKERS! LOL!"

D-did I fall for the RTK meme?
Does it get better?

see: koohii

>Does it get better?
as long as you didn't waste ten years on RTK you're doing OK

>Stops doing what makes it worthwhile a third of the way in
hahaha what

Real men do rote.

His "mnemonics" (if you can even call them mnemonics) are shit anyway.

The community stories are way better anyway, it's a shame there aren't community keywords too to replace the awful ones he assigned

well the page you posted is extremely straightforward

the only thing she messes up is おもてなし which is a pretty simple word, and the rest you can google easy

i don't remember whether it was before or after, but at some point she fucks something up like おまかいですが, maybe you'd have to look that up, but you should pretty easily be able to scroll through the japanese explanations and find the part where they explain what she meant

How many kanji does the RTK deck teach you? I can't find a simple answer by googling it and that's the limit of my independence

just fucking download it and check how many cards there are

I know I'm pushing it pretty hard by now, but the reading pack has both of these. Seriously guys, use it

About 2000 in the first book and another 1000 in the third.
You could have found out by looking at the last page of the book.

Or you could read something else where you don't have to do any of that.

thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36970

honestly if he can't read gaijin-tailored explanations on yahoo japan or wherever yet then there's probably not much out there he will comprehend

it might be best to just watch subbed cartoons until he knows grammar

is it possible to set up rikaisama to import words with an example sentence as well? how would i set that up?

Maybe change the dictionary it pulls from? The default dictionary doesn't seem to have sentences.

Yes but I forgot since I use LWT now instead of Anki

At that point you're not reading compelling content though.

You shouldn't need to google japanese explanations for the very first thing you read.

ぞい子のアニメ楽しみにしています、あなたもですか?

ばばあに興味はない

why the hell not

I google japanese explanations all the time, better to start early than to put it off

DJTたちは人間として失格だよな (笑)

ぞい子のアニメを楽しみにしています私も、何ですか?

第一話ぐらいは見てみるとおもうけどそれほど期待してはいない

What manga is this?

How do you translate this? I just can't [八尺八話快楽巡り~異形怪奇譚~]

it says right on the cover you blockhead

>The fuck is the kanji/kana after な?
>stare for like a minute
>finally realize it's the hardest kanji of all ?

Looking at this image makes me angry.

Feels good having reading material that's under your level, exactly on your level and slightly over your level all at the same time, you know exactly where to go depending on your mood and how much time you have

welp now that I've left my homeboard it's time to get back in Sup Forums, which means DJT

who here /hasn't actually studied in a couple years but still has a pretty good understanding of simple japanese/?

何のためそんな風で書くこと?
それを書いていた人を殺したいマジで

hachishaku eight-chapter pleasure circulation
grotesque mysterious tale

why are you even trying to translate an eromanga title

>welp now that I've left my homeboard it's time to get back in Sup Forums, which means DJT

邪魔!! あっちへ行け!!

Just starting out on the 2k anki vocab deck but nothing fucking sticks. Should I read rtk first or am I just retarded?

I was fapping to that and just got curious. Thanks mate by the way.

Are the TK exercises worth doing, or should I just read through as I do Anki then start reading?

The extent of my studies is doing my reps (a single deck with vocabulary lifted from a single VN that I stopped adding words to months ago) every two weeks or so.

I'm at the point where I can read most VNs without too much trouble, and I expect to stay there for a long time.

ひっ酷いわ、ぞい子はかわいいのよ。

I want to use the yotsuba reading pack but I don't have money, what do?

>I just started doing this activity and I'm bad at it

Holy shit who would have thought

>read RTK

here's what you use RTK for: Writing.

and that's in. if you use RTK as a way of trying to study kanji you're going to learn nothing.

や、やらしい~よ~
ヘソを隠してください~

That's pretty retarded, writing shit down naturally also helps retention, if it's good for writing kanji as you claim then it's also good for remembering kanji

well yeah, but that's what writing is? as in, you use it to learn the writing, which will passively help with your kanji, but you gotta write to do it.

So how is it not good for studying kanji then? Kanji study is just remembering kanji

可愛く描くても老人病がいっぱいあるばばあの事実は覆られないんだ
まんこも醜くて臭くてどうしよもない老人のまんこだろう

Every episode
t is like
i t
t h
l a
e t

>tfw Japan's econemy is becoming terrible.

Why are you studying Japanese?
What is your goal in studying?
What is your current level with regard to jlpt or other measurements?
Whats your goal for proficiency? (N2, N1, only basics, etc)
What are your studying methods?
How often do you study?

>The real world

Who gives a fuck

I can't read it :'(

fuck off

I want to visit japan.
I want to act as a guide for my family.
I'm only ~1000 words into Core6k
Haven't thought that far.
Anki (Currently using RTK and Core 6k)
~2 hours every day.

This is some quality news on NHK Web Easy.