How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V1tiKOsCz2M
cuckchan.org/a/search/text/How much value visual direction/type/op/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sometimes it's enough to keep me watching even if the show is mediocre.

A lot

More important than plot or dialog.

Boring visuals or crappy animation shut down my interest like nothing else.

This, makes me kind of wonder. What are you watching this season?

A great deal

without visuals, anime is just shoddy literature or cinema

I loved the fishing scenes in angel's egg so much, wish the rest lived up

Amanchu

>Amanchu
Oh, I meant the spring one.

To this day I wonder how did Persona get away with it.

I dropped everything except Kiznaiver but I don't like that very much

Because japs aren't anal about taking inspirations like amerifats.

>inspiration
I dunno, man. It's almost a direct transition. And being one of final forms doesn't help.

For being shittily animated and low budget the original berserk anime looked amazing

Even so, japanese don't care that much. They constantly take elements from other works and insert them into their own if they find it cool and think it fits.

Was there any backlash at all about digimon/summer wars? Or they didn't care either?

what is meant by that term

I see it used as a catch-all for "how gud it look", but I don't think that's the right usage. because "how it looks" is literally all-important for animation, so.

Is this the same background artist or wat

The same guy directed the digimon movie and Summer Wars.

Direction>>Writing>Animation

Reverse search isn't working. It seems like it's now geared for identification like the cpatcha, which is useless

I know. And they are almost identical.

Doesn't direction encompass all of those?

Can we interpret the "direction" of a work the same as "the direction where one should go" and that in the end what makes a good direction is homogeneity in ideas?

I think that's Ie Naki Ko, the background artist/art director is Shichiro Kobayashi. Didn't know he was on Berserk too but that explains a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=V1tiKOsCz2M

berserk anime >> manga

The animators of Berserk can actually draw unlike Miura who can only spam strokes.

In a feature film, it's the primary element. Other elements are important, but they are of secondary importance.

In a series I give it equal importance to writing, but the writing in each individual episode is secondary to the visuals of that individual episode.

I don't think so, at least in my opinion its more like this:

>Writing
What's going to happen in the show
>Direction
How is it going to happen
>Animation
Visual performance of those two other concepts

Too bad the animation is a travesty

source?

What's going to happen is just the story, you could have a good story that's badly written.

I put more value in it than I do live action media. When you literately control every element of what's happening there's no reason your scenes can't be well framed and have things like pleasing colors and and decent composition. I'm not expecting greatness but I like to see when people put forth a good faith effort towards visual direction.

I honestly think it's silly to try and rank elements this way. Direction and writing in particular are sort of hard to separate a lot of the time - the specific story being told is pretty closely linked to how you tell it.

If it's badly written then it wouldn't be so much of a good story

In traditional film making it's pretty easy to separate, unless, of course, the director is the screenwriter.

Due to the way anime is produced though the lines definitely become blurred.

Huh, I thought I was the only one who didn't care for Miura's art.

My opinion really hasn't changed all the times you've asked that question.

Phantom World, episode 7

Because direction is a mean for the writing to develop itself, therefore it works around what the writing is, but even then direction can express feelings and situations that can go beyond what is actually written

I think The Soultaker could be a good example of what I'm trying to tell you, a show where Shinbo creates such an endearing and captivating atmosphere for what I can only describe as the dumbest of writings

Why not just call it storyboarding since that's the actual name for the job?

It's a highly visual medium, so a lot.

What's the difference between a highly visual medium and a slightly visual medium?

A book with some pictures is a slightly visual medium.

What about a medium visual medium?

VNs is a slightly visual medium composed of thrown together elements

writing: the content
direction: how said content is executed/presented

A lot. Cool and dynamic visuals are the main thing anime has to offer that other mediums largely don't.

None. I'm blind.

This is also true.
A graphic novel or manga with too many words, but still pictures on every panel.

so you just watched this yesterday and now are making threads with it? nice

Don't everyone do that? I'm repeating myself all the time here, a living propaganda.

I watched it yesterday for the fourth time.

what a garbage opinion. The only good thing about the anime was the soundtrack, which was surprisingly great. It's terrible otherwise.

>liking the crappy manga
opinion discarded

Miura's art sucks and the anime adapted everything before the story turned shit.

you have shit taste m8, and it looks a million times better than the slide show garbage. Also look at this pleb, the golden age isn't even the best part of the story.

There are actually people who will defend that garbage manga.

i don't mean to turn this into a recommendation thread, but i wonder what everyone's favorite visual tour de force is

the first GITS film has such an undeniably genius visual flare that I can't help but love it.

are there any really obscure efforts anyone enjoys?

>Only the soundtrack is great

The guy doesn't even know what he's talking about, jizzing on Miura's art like he a saint and not realizing the beauty of Shichiro's art.

Also Umakoshi's character designs are better than Miura's.

>Also Umakoshi's character designs are better than Miura's.
My nigga

I swear I have seen this same thread at least 20 times, when will you stop? are you trying to become a meme?

Who the hell are these nobodies, would oyu memorize Korean sweatshop animaters too who animate the terrible One Piece anime?

The anime literally does nothing better than the manga other than having a great soundtrack. The colors suck a huge dick and had odd choices like making Gennon pink, it's tied together on a shoestring budget and looks like a literal slideshow, and the eclipse came left field and feels like a cheap M Night Shymalan twist compared to the manga (which had the Black Swordsman arc to really give weight and anticpation to it). Also terrible and worst possible ending to leave off on.

The movies would be better if it didn't have the shit CGI.

Historically, anime has differentiated itself with better-funded Western animation through its use of striking frames and visual design.

Strip away the over-the-top antics, the magic powers, the lolis, the tsunderes, and you're left with shitty action and sci-fi storytelling at worst. Very few anime are well written. Very few directors or companies care about making unique, interesting characters; they simply want something that will sell merchandise.

Visual design is just as important as the writing and characters for me. It's hard to think of any shows that succeed despite having bad visual design, while a ton of good shows have mediocre writing.

The Hakkenden is crossing my mind, but there're a lot, more or less unknown.

>Umakoshi
>a nobody

>would oyu memorize Korean sweatshop animaters too who animate the terrible One Piece anime?

I'd like to know who'se responsible for the great backgrounds of One Piece early anime but there're too much background artists on it on ANN. Also One Piece composer is really good. One Piece has (or had) a lot of qualities.

>The anime literally does nothing better than the manga

I think the designs and the backgrounds are better than the manga. Plus, you can't really compare an anime and a manga like that, as you noticed a manga don't have soundtracks, nor colors, and a lot of other things.

>budget

Like it does everything.

Jap artists in anime industry are self-aware slaves that are fueled by passion. Still sad for them though.

>while a ton of good shows have mediocre writing.
like what?

It only adapts the best arc and leaves out CUTTING EDGE shit like Wyald and BLACKED, so it's already an improvement over the manga.

Well there are some narrative devices that I like in anime that aren't too common in western film and shows. You rarely have works with jigsaw-puzzle exposition like you do in Eva, Utena, Lain or Angel's Egg.

I'm not even the guy that started it. I just rewatched Angel's Egg recently and decided to use it to make this thread.

If you think Guts getting raped was unnecessary and cutting that out was an improvement, that your stupid 12 year old who only knows how to talk by meme speak.

And Conviction is better than Golden age, also the Eclise had nowhere near as much precedent to it as compared to the manga which was much better by having The Guardians of Desire Chapter.

film is a visual medium, therefore visual direction should become its main concern, audio is secondary.

Sup Forums here

which anime is the most kino

Magnetic Rose

60%. 30% plot, 10% sound effects.

Musashi Gundou is definitely kino.

What are your top 10 films?

this

The sound effects of Arslan blew my mind.

Yeah, overall Arslan was bretty gud, don't know why most people here didn't like it

Reminder that this is a forced meme:

It's not a meme of any kind.

>Shichiro
>Umakoshi
>nobodies

The sweatshops that do inbetweens are the nobodies. Learning to recognize talent in production is the first step of really enjoying anime.

Anyway, you have :
Composition (generally an outline for plots, mixed with writers often)
Writing (the script, dialogue and basic action)
Direction (basically storyboards)
Designs (concept art for characters, mechs, basically anything animated)
Backgrounds
Keyframe animation

As the major components of a work. Often there's blending of roles, directors or writers will have more or less influence, but its a rough outline. It also means there's no absolute order for importance among the parts, but direction and writing are generally the most important, with designs and backgrounds being secondary, and animation being the least important, since it's usually fluff on the base visual presentation. They also really play off each other. Good direction is infinitely improved by good dialogue and art direction, etc.

Not even going to attempt to get into voice acting and soundtracks though.

>designs and backgrounds being secondary, and animation being the least important
That just doesn't sounds right

>and the eclipse came left field and feels like a cheap M Night Shymalan twist compared to the manga (which had the Black Swordsman arc to really give weight and anticpation to it)

The anime had the first ep to do that (even if at this point, it might be even wiser to skip it, to get the full twist in your face at the end of the series).

There are also some element of foreshadowing here and there (talking about the Behelit, Zodd saying that Griffith will betray Guts, etc).

Both approach are fine imo, though I prefer the anime one. Full bad end twist are interesting when done well.

Also, I don't think the end is a bad conclusion.

Best way to get perspective is watch old Dezaki shows like Ashita no Joe or Nobody's Boy Remi to see how unimportant fancy animation is when everything else is done well.

Given that we are talking about anime and not some still show I just can't agree with that because at the end of the day it's the action on screen what actually matters (And by action I don't mean action scenes but the actual visual development), pretty backgrounds are easier to make than objects moving properly on screen because you have lower standards and a bigger margin for errors

Just look at the examples given by you guys, besides the fact that they look like if they were made on a fabric canvas with oil painting they look boring, plain, generic and overall uninteresting

>they look boring, plain, generic and overall uninteresting

If you're honest while saying that we're clearly not on the same wavelength.

I think the backgrounds I linked are by themselves amazingly beautiful, and really inspired. There's a feel to them. The feel is amplified by the great soundtrack, possible dialogues and sound effects, and the overall direction.

I agree that what the guy said about Dezaki is a bit biased by his certain love for those shows, but he's not totally wrong either. Dezaki, Anno, and those people, they used creativity as a mean to create interesting things even with low budget, and those guys in particular are smart people that imagined means to amplify scenes by making them a painting, which, like you said, cost less to animate, take less time and effort/talent, but is more impactful in the flow of events.

Next time you watch a show pay close attention to how much time is used on still shots, still shots with nothing but mouth flaps, and pans over a frame or other tricks, where next to no technical animation is happening. It's a huge percentage of a typical episode, while designs and backgrounds are a factor in the visual quality of practically 100% of the frames.

Dezaki is just the most extreme example of slideshows with good direction and writing. There's also truly awful shows he's worked on like Sword for Truth where greatly improved animation couldn't make up for missing all the other things his classics had.

call me a pleb but what is this from?

Dragon Heaven

bless you good sire

>how much value to you put into the visual direction of a visual medium

Only actual idiots and retards will argue that the visuals are anything except the single most important facet of anime.

Of course it is important, that's what budgeting is all about, it doesn't mean its artistic value is increased by the amount of presence it has, besides that animation is not only key animation

Those drawings are so plain that they look like something than most amateurs art students could come up with, they lack detail and for some the perspective doesn't make sense, I get the "feel" you're talking about, they are surely different to what you see in most anime, but they are really not something I would call praiseworthy, or at least not as much as smooth and consistent animation, the kind you'd see on a movie from Satoshi Kon for example

But then again I guess that poorly painted backgrounds are more important than dynamic animation where character's movement blends with the visual means of storytelling